closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Licence?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Quick question. I don’t have Sky, I don’t have Virgin, and I don’t have an ariel connected to my tv, my tv is not even tuned to any free channels.
    I have Netflix and I have Amazon Prime and my kids watch crap on YouTube.
    Do I need a licence? I have one and pay it every month by direct debit but based on the above, do I legally need one?
    Only if you watch anything live. Football on Amazon Prime, for example:

Master
    I’m too lazy to argue the toss frankly....

Master

TV Licence?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Only if you watch anything live. Football on Amazon Prime, for example:
    Thank you.
    Last edited by jaytip; 13th February 2021 at 15:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It started off so well...

Unfortunately this discussion usually heads political quite rapidly. My 2p is that it only seems to be those with views at extremes of the spectrum that find the BBC to be particularly biased. The licence fee system is undoubtedly archaic and it is in need of funding reform, but I've lived in enough overseas countries long enough to see how much it is envied for quality and range (not forgetting things like radio, internet and educational output).
    So most young people are extreme?

I just don’t like it so why am I being made to pay.

I like Netflix but I wouldn’t dream of forcing people to pay for it and not watch it.

The whole idea of a license fee is outdated a morally repugnant.

I'm annoyed by the fact that large families with working adult members all living in the same dwelling, in effect each pay 'little' or 'zero' towards the cost of their TV viewing .. because the TV licence is for the dwelling and not its individual occupants. And same argument applies ref council tax where individual house occupants earning high salaries / wages, can in effect, pay Sweet Fanny Adams' towards their local authority's expenditure. Why should e.g., couples and singletons, subsidise multi-occupied neighbours houses' TV viewing and very necessary local authority expenditure?
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    I get SO much value out of the BBC.
    It's extremely cheap as far as I'm concerned.
    I listen to BBC radio most days. Its podcasts are incredible. It provides great sport and wildlife shows. It offers an amazing website. Its news is unbiased and of great quality (though I agree others do this too). And it offers (some) very good entertainment shows.
    Absolute bargain and I'd say so at double the price too.
    But, with all due respect, that’s because others, who get nothing out of it, are being forced to subsidise it for you.

Master
    Not using any BBC service is not a defence for not having a licence.
    Why? The licence fee is to pay for the BBC, I refuse to pay for that rubbish and always will. I’ll happily pay for Netflix which I watch on my phone or at home but that’s it. You could close the BBC and ITV down tomorrow it wouldn’t be a big loss.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I don't use the local library/ bus service/ fire brigade/public toilets/leisure centre etc but I pay my council tax.... Never visited the doctor in my life or got drunk and ended up in A&E complaining about the long waiting time...
    But these aren’t competing with free market competitors.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The ABC system sounds very similar to the BBC one, except you pay it indirectly.

I don't mind paying the TV licence - I watch more on the BBC than I do most other channels and I don't see, say, Netflix or Amazon Prime as better value (We do have a Netflix account and my wife is watching some interminable Turkish historical thing on it, but we often struggle to find anything we want to watch on there).

Sadly this thread died once someone used the word 'Woke' - Whichever side of the fence you sit, once you use that word (in that context), you've marked yourself as an extremist.

M
    I’ve never used that word and wouldn’t. But just a heads up, your view that any one who uses that word is an extremist presents as pretty extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Why? The licence fee is to pay for the BBC, I refuse to pay for that rubbish and always will. I’ll happily pay for Netflix which I watch on my phone or at home but that’s it. You could close the BBC and ITV down tomorrow it wouldn’t be a big loss.

Good for you. Argue the toss with lawyers if you wish.

Master
    Than you.
    Doesn’t sound like you need one and keep in mind that watching 1 minute behind isn’t live

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    How many free market competitors have been providing hundreds of hours of programming for schools during lockdown?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    How many free market competitors have been providing hundreds of hours of programming for schools during lockdown?
    Just because some people like the BBC it doesn’t make it morally sound.

Why not have a chain of gyms and force people to have a subscription.

There was need for a subscription 60 odd years ago but there’s no justification now

Just because some people like the BBC it doesn’t make it morally sound.

Why not have a chain of gyms and force people to have a subscription.

There was need for a subscription 60 odd years ago but there’s no justification now
    What a ridiculous comparison.

What is inmmoral about children's education?

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Doesn’t sound like you need one and keep in mind that watching 1 minute behind isn’t live
    Has that been tested in court? Even on Virgin cable TV, there's a slight lag between HD and SD broadcasts, is the HD one not live?

I suspect there's a 'lag' between an action happening and it appearing on any TV screen - I'd be interested to know what constitutes live.

If you're right, could I just watch +1 channels without a licence?

I'm sure the argument today is similar to that 60 years ago - If you only make TV that advertisers want to be associated with, you'll only make popularist TV - No more Mastermind, no more Panorama, etc, etc. ITV used to make programmes like World In Action and the World At War, I can't think of anything similar they've made in recent years. Lots of Ant and Dec, Love Island, etc.

I rarely watch it, but BBC Parliament is a channel the PPV model would never support - You can argue that seeing how our leaders behave and make laws that affect us is highly valuable TV.

For me, the biggest plus about the BBC is much of its output is British in style and content - I'd love to see a correlation between people who voted to leave the EU and those who want to see the BBC curtailed - I suspect there would be a strong relationship, and yet without the BBC we'd have almost entirely US based TV content.

Some US drama and comedy is good, even excellent, but I don't want to see nothing but the lives of people in LA and Detroit presented on my TV, they mean little to me.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 13th February 2021 at 17:06.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    What a ridiculous comparison.

What is inmmoral about children's education?
    Why, both are services that be provided in a free market.

Clearly Children’s education is far from their primary purpose. That’s a straw man argument. Even if this, fractionally small, part of their content helped, it doesn’t give a moral justification for criminalising someone who doesn’t want to pay the licence fee. The lessons were fine but they hardly substituted for teachers and schools anyway.

Talk about ridiculous, let’s all pay £140 odd a year for a once in a 50 year pandemic and so they can knock together a few lessons for children.

Has that been tested in court? Even on Virgin cable TV, there's a slight lag between HD and SD broadcasts, is the HD one not live?

I suspect there's a 'lag' between an action happening and it appearing on any TV screen - I'd be interested to know what constitutes live.

If you're right, could I just watch +1 channels without a licence?

M
    I think it's considered 'live' if watched when being broadcast, not when the event is taking place.

So if there's no free market competition for something the Government or council should provide it?

Anyway, there are private conveniences, health services and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I don't have an issue with the TV licence (I do with their collection service though for the reason mentioned above) because I have a strong dislike of having whatever I'm watching being interrupted with commercial advertising.
    The BBC are almost as bad at advertising as the commercial channels; they are just advertising their own output. It's often done with (presumably) hugely expensively produced adverts.
    Nowhere near as bad, IMO.
    For a start I don't mind them telling me what other programmes they have available, but more importantly they don't interrupt their programmes every 10 minutes to do so.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

TV Licence?

So if there's no free market competition for something the Government or council should provide it?

Anyway, there are private conveniences, health services and so on.
    Well, if there is no demand for a service, clearly not. People have spoken and they don’t want it.

I suppose there’ are some situations where markets are broken and that’‘s when the state steps in. But this is not the case with the BBC

media and subscription services are a really healthy market producing better content than ever as a result of competition and choice. They live and die by their quality so what benefit does the BBC provide when they have no market incentive to do well.

There’s absolutely no need for an uncompetitiveorganisation like the Beeb. Once, when TVs had just started to take off and there was one channel, then fine, it’s justified. But we’re nearly 100 years removed from that.

Well, if there is no demand for a service, clearly not. People have spoken and they don’t want it.
    What people have spoken?

Ofcom
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Good for you. Argue the toss with lawyers if you wish.
    Why? I don’t watch live tv so why should I pay. They can take me to court if they want but they won’t have a leg to stand on.

I suppose there’ are some situations where markets are broken and that’‘s when the state steps in. But this is not the case with the BBC

media and subscription services are a really healthy market producing better content than ever as a result of competition and choice. They live and die by their quality so what benefit does the BBC provide when they have no market incentive to do well.

There’s absolutely no need for an uncompetitiveorganisation like the Beeb. Once, when TVs had just started to take off and there was one channel, then fine, it’s justified. But we’re nearly 100 years removed from that.
    So, what's your suggestion?

Can the BBC and we all watch non-stop films on Netflix? Or should we get all our news from Rupert Murdoch's outlets?

Or do you think the BBC should become a commercial channel like ITV?

What people have spoken?
    THE people, obviously...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 13th February 2021 at 17:52.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Why, both are services that be provided in a free market.

Clearly Children’s education is far from their primary purpose. That’s a straw man argument. Even if this, fractionally small, part of their content helped, it doesn’t give a moral justification for criminalising someone who doesn’t want to pay the licence fee. The lessons were fine but they hardly substituted for teachers and schools anyway.

Talk about ridiculous, let’s all pay £140 odd a year for a once in a 50 year pandemic and so they can knock together a few lessons for children.
    No it is not their primary purpose.
    The BBC's charter is to Inform, Educate and Entertain

Not supply populist TV whose only purpose is to maximise advertising revenue for shareholders.

I think the licence fee is incredible value.
    I think back to working overseas before the internet and the World Service was incredibly valued.
    I listen to a lot of Radio 4 and 6 Music, it is not just TV that is paid for by the licence fee.

Why? I don’t watch live tv so why should I pay. They can take me to court if they want but they won’t have a leg to stand on.

I agree, if you don't watch live TV you don't need a licence. However when I said (replying to someone else) -

Not using any BBC service is not a defence for not having a licence.
    You said -

Which is wrong. It might be paying for the BBC but, like it or not, it's needed to watch live TV.

Master
    What people have spoken?

Ofcom
    I get it, some people like it lots don’t. So those that do pay for it, seems fair to me. Fundamental economics!

Master

Not supply populist TV whose only purpose is to maximise advertising revenue for shareholders.

I think back to working overseas before the internet and the World Service was incredibly valued.
    I listen to a lot of Radio 4 and 6 Music, it is not just TV that is paid for by the licence fee.
    Again, great you love it. But don’t expect me to subsidise it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    So, what's your suggestion?

Can the BBC and we all watch non-stop films on Netflix? Or should we get all our news from Rupert Murdoch's outlets?

Or do you think the BBC should become a commercial channel like ITV?

THE people, obviously...

M
    Netflix original content is almost exclusively series, not films.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    ...keep in mind that watching 1 minute behind isn’t live
    That is the "work the loophole" attitude that I consider immoral. I'm not suggesting it's breaking the rule, but I think it is wrong to avoid paying yet consume the product (albeit 1 minute later)

This is what sets the BBC apart and is why they will continue to exist as a PSB whatever funding model is adopted.
    It is also a globally recognised, respected and sought after brand promoting Britain across the world.

The most recent Ofcom report indicates that whilst far from perfect they continue to largely meet their public charter despite challenging times.

Public Purpose 1: To provide impartial news and information to help people understand and engage with the world around them.
    Public Purpose 2: To support learning for people of all ages.
    Public Purpose 3: To show the most creative, highest quality and most distinctive output and services.
    Public Purpose 4: To reflect, represent and serve the diverse communities of all of the UK’s nations and regions, and in doing so, support the creative economy across the UK.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...ual-report.pdf

I'd pay the fee for BBC Bitesize, Six Music and Radio 4 comedies alone, but there's a whole lot more and I'm astonished that there might be nothing there useful or entertaining for someone.

Pan-UK television services
    BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Three
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    BBC News
    BBC Parliament

Access services at the BBC
    Subtitling
    Audio Describing
    Signing

Network radio
    BBC Radio 1
    BBC Radio 1Xtra
    BBC Radio 2
    BBC Radio 3
    BBC Radio 4
    BBC Radio 4 Extra
    BBC Radio 5 live
    BBC Radio 5 live sports extra
    BBC Radio 6 Music
    BBC Asian Network

Around the UK
    BBC Scotland
    BBC One Scotland
    BBC One Wales
    BBC One Northern Ireland
    BBC Two Wales
    BBC Two Northern Ireland
    BBC Alba

Radio Scotland
    Radio Nan Gaidheal
    BBC Radio Wales
    Radio Cymru
    Radio Cymru 2
    Radio Ulster
    Radio Foyle

BBC Radio Berkshire
    BBC Radio Bristol
    BBC Radio Cambridgeshire
    BBC Radio Cornwall
    BBC Coventry & Warwickshire
    BBC Radio Cumbria
    BBC Radio Derby
    BBC Radio Devon
    BBC Essex
    BBC Radio Gloucestershire
    BBC Radio Guernsey
    BBC Hereford & Worcester
    BBC Radio Humberside
    BBC Radio Jersey
    BBC Radio Kent
    BBC Radio Lancashire
    BBC Radio Leeds
    BBC Radio Leicester
    BBC Radio Lincolnshire
    BBC Radio London
    BBC Radio Manchester
    BBC Radio Merseyside
    BBC Newcastle
    BBC Radio Norfolk
    BBC Radio Northampton
    BBC Radio Nottingham
    BBC Radio Oxford
    BBC Radio Sheffield
    BBC Radio Shropshire
    BBC Radio Solent
    BBC Somerset
    BBC Radio Stoke
    BBC Radio Suffolk
    BBC Surrey
    BBC Sussex
    BBC Tees
    BBC Three Counties Radio
    BBC Wiltshire
    BBC WM 95.6
    BBC Radio York

Global
    BBC World Service
    BBC World News
    BBC.com

Digital Services
    BBC iPlayer
    BBC Sounds
    BBC News
    BBC Sport
    BBC Bitesize
    BBC Weather
    CBBC and CBeebies online
    BBC Education
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To put the boot on the other foot, if you don't want to pay for it how can I make sure you don't watch or listen to the output?
    Last edited by Kevin; 13th February 2021 at 18:28.

Master
    No one is expecting you to subsidise those of us that enjoy the BBC, don't watch live TV, don't pay.

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...l_films_(2020)

Master

TV Licence?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    No one is expecting you to subsidise those of us that enjoy the BBC, don't watch live TV, don't pay.

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...l_films_(2020)
    Seriously! Now compare the list of movies you found to the series they made in 2020.
    Last edited by Rodder; 13th February 2021 at 18:46.

Master
    This is what sets the BBC apart and is why they will continue to exist as a PSB whatever funding model is adopted.
    It is also a globally recognised, respected and sought after brand promoting Britain across the world.

The most recent Ofcom report indicates that whilst far from perfect they continue to largely meet their public charter despite challenging times.

Public Purpose 1: To provide impartial news and information to help people understand and engage with the world around them.
    Public Purpose 3: To show the most creative, highest quality and most distinctive output and services.
    Public Purpose 4: To reflect, represent and serve the diverse communities of all of the UK’s nations and regions, and in doing so, support the creative economy across the UK.

I'd pay the fee for BBC Bitesize, Six Music and Radio 4 comedies alone, but there's a whole lot more and I'm astonished that there might be nothing there useful or entertaining for someone.

BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Three
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    BBC News
    BBC Parliament

Subtitling
    Audio Describing
    Signing

Network radio
    BBC Radio 1
    BBC Radio 1Xtra
    BBC Radio 2
    BBC Radio 3
    BBC Radio 4
    BBC Radio 4 Extra
    BBC Radio 5 live
    BBC Radio 6 Music
    BBC Asian Network

Around the UK
    BBC Scotland
    BBC One Scotland
    BBC One Wales
    BBC One Northern Ireland
    BBC Two Wales
    BBC Two Northern Ireland
    BBC Alba

Radio Scotland
    Radio Nan Gaidheal
    BBC Radio Wales
    Radio Cymru
    Radio Cymru 2
    Radio Ulster
    Radio Foyle

BBC Radio Berkshire
    BBC Radio Bristol
    BBC Radio Cambridgeshire
    BBC Radio Cornwall
    BBC Radio Cumbria
    BBC Radio Derby
    BBC Radio Devon
    BBC Essex
    BBC Radio Guernsey
    BBC Hereford & Worcester
    BBC Radio Humberside
    BBC Radio Jersey
    BBC Radio Kent
    BBC Radio Lancashire
    BBC Radio Leeds
    BBC Radio Leicester
    BBC Radio Lincolnshire
    BBC Radio London
    BBC Radio Manchester
    BBC Radio Merseyside
    BBC Newcastle
    BBC Radio Norfolk
    BBC Radio Northampton
    BBC Radio Nottingham
    BBC Radio Oxford
    BBC Radio Sheffield
    BBC Radio Shropshire
    BBC Radio Solent
    BBC Somerset
    BBC Radio Stoke
    BBC Radio Suffolk
    BBC Surrey
    BBC Sussex
    BBC Tees
    BBC Three Counties Radio
    BBC Wiltshire
    BBC WM 95.6
    BBC Radio York

Global
    BBC World Service
    BBC World News
    BBC.com

Digital Services
    BBC iPlayer
    BBC Sounds
    BBC News
    BBC Sport
    BBC Bitesize
    BBC Weather
    CBBC and CBeebies online
    BBC Education
    Wow! I hadn’t realised how bloated it is. Now go through that and decide what free markets would provide.

Ultimately we’re a free market economy, and the BBC isn’t a special case.

I’d be happy just not to pay and let those that do crack on. Perhaps a more fair situation is to sell the BBC. It must be worth billions and billions (content, premises etc). Surely this belongs to anyone who’s been paying for it. Maybe we could end up with a rebate, or the biggest school building project ever. Got to be at least as good as bitesize! Anyway, I’m out

I think it's considered 'live' if watched when being broadcast, not when the event is taking place.

If you’re watching something at the point it is being broadcast live you need a licence or watching something you recorded live

Eg; emmerdale is on at 7pm

If you watch it at 7pm you need a licence

If you record it and watch it a day later - you need a licence

The “delay” is a load of BS but would be interested to see it tested in court

If you watch it on itv hub - you don’t need a licence as that is classed as not live

Master
    Seriously! Now compare the list movies you found to the series the made in 2020.
    I'm not arguing with you just pointing out the list of original movies that they made, which appears to challenge what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    If you’re watching something at the point it is being broadcast live you need a licence or watching something you recorded live

Eg; emmerdale is on at 7pm

If you watch it at 7pm you need a licence

If you record it and watch it a day later - you need a licence

The “delay” is a load of BS but would be interested to see it tested in court

If you watch it on itv hub - you don’t need a licence as that is classed as not live
    Ah yes, you're correct. Watch or record as broadcast, need a licence!

Master

TV Licence?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I'm not arguing with you just pointing out the list of original movies that they made, which appears to challenge what you said.
    Fair enough, I still think there are significantly more box sets than movies.

They do make some rubbish though! And my subscription has creeped up from £4 a month to £12. I’d never argue Netflix are great, to be honest I’ve been wondering if I should keep my subscription. I would always argue in favour of free markets, I know we have our problems but it’s a big part of why the UK has been successful since the 80s. My wife’s Italian and the amount of bureaucracy, nepotism and inefficiency as a result of government interference is awful. I don’t personally like the BBC, but I really hope that if I did, I could look at it objectively and realise it isn’t a special case. Let it live and die on its own merit. If it really is that good people will pay and won’t even change
    Last edited by Rodder; 13th February 2021 at 19:05.

Master
    I stopped paying my licence around 7 years ago. Never had a knock on the door or anything other than a letter maybe twice in that time requesting me to buy one.

- - - Updated - - -

I stopped paying my licence around 7 years ago. Never had a knock on the door or anything other than a letter maybe twice in that time requesting me to buy one.

Craftsman
    Do we really need a TV licence in the 21st century, the answer is no. A streaming service is the way to go. Pay for what you watch.
    Tv seems to be all repeats.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I get it, some people like it lots don’t. So those that do pay for it, seems fair to me. Fundamental economics!
    Well, obviously you don't: based on the figures you quoted, you should stay lots of people like it, some don't.

The thing is, we probably all agree that the licence fee needs to be reformed. I have no idea as to how, but it can certainly be improved and modernised.
    I personally believe the Beeb is a public service. But public services funding is not guaranteed (see what happened to the NHS for at least 10 the last 11 years). The licence fee is a little more secured. Is it normal? The answer, for me, is no, but what is not normal is that the NHS and other public services funding is not guaranteed.
    Those services you pay for whether you use them, or not. The same should be true for the BBC. Making it a separate "fee" is like putting a red cape in front of a bull to those who refuse to watch it, for whatever reason.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Well, obviously you don't: based on the figures you quoted, you should stay lots of people like it, some don't.

The thing is, we probably all agree that the licence fee needs to be reformed. I have no idea as to how, but it can certainly be improved and modernised.
    I personally believe the Beeb is a public service. But public services funding is not guaranteed (see what happened to the NHS for at least 10 the last 11 years). The licence fee is a little more secured. Is it normal? The answer, for me, is no, but what is not normal is that the NHS and other public services funding is not guaranteed.
    Those services you pay for whether you use them, or not. The same should be true for the BBC. Making it a separate "fee" is like putting a red cape in front of a bull to those who refuse to watch it, for whatever reason.
    Let’ stay civil. I didn’t quote figures?!? Simply some people don’t like and I don’t think they should pay. I’ve explained why above. To say I don’t get it is a little out of order but there go. You might not agree with me which is fine but I believe I’ve argued my point reasonably.

To put the boot on the other foot, if you don't want to pay for it how can I make sure you don't watch or listen to the output?
    as i said earlier , put it behind a paywall and encrypt it - then anyone does does not pay cant watch it

the BBC will fight hand and foot to not let the above happen as it knows it will lose a massive amount of income and let see how great people think it is when its costing £400 a year for the ones that want it now.

Let’ stay civil. I didn’t quote figures?!? Simply some people don’t like and I don’t think they should pay. I’ve explained why above. To say I don’t get it is a little out of order but there go. You might not agree with me which is fine but I believe I’ve argued my point reasonably.
    You did quote Mr Curta's post, which showed a montage of different graphs, one of which said that 87% of adults in the UK consumed BBC content each week. so calling "some" 87% of adults and "lots" the remaining 13% is entirely misleading, hence my quip which I though was quite civil, just picking you up on what you said.
    You claim you argued your point reasonably. I would say you are the more extremist of all the debaters and participants in this thread. Which, strangely, doesn't bother me: you are entirely entitled to your opinion. And you are not alone either.

But you are deeply mistaken if you think we live in a free market (fact). You are also making a mistake, and this is my opinion, if you believe that information is just like any other product and should be subject to unregulated market laws.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    I find it infuriating that we have to pay this. I feel it should be a choice not a requirement. The BBC in my opinion produce decent news and animal docs and that’s about. I honestly wish they would scrap the lot and see how they survive on a subscription basis. I fear it would soon disappear in its current guise.

BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Three
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    BBC News
    BBC Parliament

Subtitling
    Audio Describing
    Signing

Network radio
    BBC Radio 1
    BBC Radio 1Xtra
    BBC Radio 2
    BBC Radio 3
    BBC Radio 4
    BBC Radio 4 Extra
    BBC Radio 5 live
    BBC Radio 6 Music
    BBC Asian Network

Around the UK
    BBC Scotland
    BBC One Scotland
    BBC One Wales
    BBC One Northern Ireland
    BBC Two Wales
    BBC Two Northern Ireland
    BBC Alba

Radio Scotland
    Radio Nan Gaidheal
    BBC Radio Wales
    Radio Cymru
    Radio Cymru 2
    Radio Ulster
    Radio Foyle

BBC Radio Berkshire
    BBC Radio Bristol
    BBC Radio Cambridgeshire
    BBC Radio Cornwall
    BBC Radio Cumbria
    BBC Radio Derby
    BBC Radio Devon
    BBC Essex
    BBC Radio Guernsey
    BBC Hereford & Worcester
    BBC Radio Humberside
    BBC Radio Jersey
    BBC Radio Kent
    BBC Radio Lancashire
    BBC Radio Leeds
    BBC Radio Leicester
    BBC Radio Lincolnshire
    BBC Radio London
    BBC Radio Manchester
    BBC Radio Merseyside
    BBC Newcastle
    BBC Radio Norfolk
    BBC Radio Northampton
    BBC Radio Nottingham
    BBC Radio Oxford
    BBC Radio Sheffield
    BBC Radio Shropshire
    BBC Radio Solent
    BBC Somerset
    BBC Radio Stoke
    BBC Radio Suffolk
    BBC Surrey
    BBC Sussex
    BBC Tees
    BBC Three Counties Radio
    BBC Wiltshire
    BBC WM 95.6
    BBC Radio York

Global
    BBC World Service
    BBC World News
    BBC.com

Digital Services
    BBC iPlayer
    BBC Sounds
    BBC News
    BBC Sport
    BBC Bitesize
    BBC Weather
    CBBC and CBeebies online
    BBC Education
    That, in a nutshell, is why I think the licence fee is worth it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quick question. I don’t have Sky, I don’t have Virgin, and I don’t have an ariel connected to my tv, my tv is not even tuned to any free channels.
    I have Netflix and I have Amazon Prime and my kids watch crap on YouTube.
    Do I need a licence? I have one and pay it every month by direct debit but based on the above, do I legally need one?
    Do you watch iPlayer? Or do any of the things you actually view have any live tv? If somth3n you will need a licence, but if it’s just watching pre recorded tv shows and films on Netflix or Amazon Prime, then no you don’t.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I don't like the BBC. In my opinion the notion that its news and current affairs is impartial is laughable, but its entertainment content, something that's often overlooked when its duty of responsibility to impartiality is discussed, is arguably worse. That drama with Hugh Laurie as a Tory minister trying to sell off the NHS is a case in point, but pretty much every news quiz features sneering comedians mocking the Tories as well. Even sports coverage on 5 Live has managed to promote anti-capitalist movements. It's turned into something of a campaigning, perhaps even activist broadcaster. Generally I don't approve of the agenda it promotes and I don't trust it as a news source.

That said - it's great that it exists for people who like it, but I think they should be paying for it out of their own pocket. Even without taking its obvious political / cultural biases into consideration, it's an an anachronistic way to fund a media outlet now.

BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Three
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    BBC News
    BBC Parliament

Subtitling
    Audio Describing
    Signing

Network radio
    BBC Radio 1
    BBC Radio 1Xtra
    BBC Radio 2
    BBC Radio 3
    BBC Radio 4
    BBC Radio 4 Extra
    BBC Radio 5 live
    BBC Radio 6 Music
    BBC Asian Network

Around the UK
    BBC Scotland
    BBC One Scotland
    BBC One Wales
    BBC One Northern Ireland
    BBC Two Wales
    BBC Two Northern Ireland
    BBC Alba

Radio Scotland
    Radio Nan Gaidheal
    BBC Radio Wales
    Radio Cymru
    Radio Cymru 2
    Radio Ulster
    Radio Foyle

BBC Radio Berkshire
    BBC Radio Bristol
    BBC Radio Cambridgeshire
    BBC Radio Cornwall
    BBC Radio Cumbria
    BBC Radio Derby
    BBC Radio Devon
    BBC Essex
    BBC Radio Guernsey
    BBC Hereford & Worcester
    BBC Radio Humberside
    BBC Radio Jersey
    BBC Radio Kent
    BBC Radio Lancashire
    BBC Radio Leeds
    BBC Radio Leicester
    BBC Radio Lincolnshire
    BBC Radio London
    BBC Radio Manchester
    BBC Radio Merseyside
    BBC Newcastle
    BBC Radio Norfolk
    BBC Radio Northampton
    BBC Radio Nottingham
    BBC Radio Oxford
    BBC Radio Sheffield
    BBC Radio Shropshire
    BBC Radio Solent
    BBC Somerset
    BBC Radio Stoke
    BBC Radio Suffolk
    BBC Surrey
    BBC Sussex
    BBC Tees
    BBC Three Counties Radio
    BBC Wiltshire
    BBC WM 95.6
    BBC Radio York

Global
    BBC World Service
    BBC World News
    BBC.com

Digital Services
    BBC iPlayer
    BBC Sounds
    BBC News
    BBC Sport
    BBC Bitesize
    BBC Weather
    CBBC and CBeebies online
    BBC Education
    I agree there is a lot available, and a lot to pay for. There’s also probably a lot of value if you use the services, but being Non-UK, I don’t even listen to the radio stations - But the majority of the above listed services do not require a TV licence any way.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You did quote Mr Curta's post, which showed a montage of different graphs, one of which said that 87% of adults in the UK consumed BBC content each week. so calling "some" 87% of adults and "lots" the remaining 13% is entirely misleading, hence my quip which I though was quite civil, just picking you up on what you said.
    You claim you argued your point reasonably. I would say you are the more extremist of all the debaters and participants in this thread. Which, strangely, doesn't bother me: you are entirely entitled to your opinion. And you are not alone either.

But you are deeply mistaken if you think we live in a free market (fact). You are also making a mistake, and this is my opinion, if you believe that information is just like any other product and should be subject to unregulated market laws.
    Clearly we’re a mixed market. We strive for free markets where possible as classic economic theory and research recognises them as the most efficient. Do you think we’re closer to socialism?

I really don’t get how your comment on regulating information has anything to do with a license fee. I get information from the TV, the internet, Twitter, my wife, my children, my neighbour, from book etc. Anyway, surely OFCOM regulates most traditional media regardless of the license fee.

Should I comment on being called extreme for not wanting to pay license fee? Probably not.