closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 108

Thread: TV Licence?

  1. #1
    Journeyman Dean Learner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    186

    TV Licence?

    Hopefully not such a decisive/political topic that it doesn't fit the G&D but curious about people's views and thoughts on the BBC TV licence. As an Australian I find it a strange concept and would certainly enjoy a discussion about it with some locals over a pint or two in the pub, sadly that's not the world we're in so thought the G&D would be the place to bring up the topic instead. While I can learn a lot by reading (and I've done a little already) I like to hear people opinions on it as I find that there's a more broad range of views.

    For us here we still pay a "TV licence" of sorts where the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) is funded from the federal government budget and ultimately paid for through our tax so it is more on an invisible cost to us.

    We also have a number of commercial channels purely funded through advertising and are freely available over the air or internet.

    The ABC here offers a similar service to the BBC with television, journalism, radio etc though would not generate the volume of local TV content the BBC does (the ABC also airs a large number of BBC programs being the various comedies, dramas, panel shows etc hence my seeing the alignment between the two). It serves a role as the national broadcaster and helps to offer some services the commercial channels will not (i.e. regional coverage outside the major centres).

    I find the licence system fascinating as it really is an honour based system and also opens up so many chances for social and political commentary as paying or not paying the fee could almost be seen as a political statement could it not. I'm sure there's a few groups around who stand up for their right not to pay.

    The processing of the licensed fees and the fact there is also a requirement for policing and enforcement seems such an inefficient idea as well and I'd be interested to know the annual budget for purely administering and enforcing the fees as I'm sure those funds could be better spent on more content/quality for the BBC if there was direct government funding?

    I wouldn't say our system is perfect as the quality of the content and journalism on the commercial channels is certainly questionable (I'm sure Rupert Murdoch is a well known name) and sadly the ABC becomes a bit of a political football as there is plenty of accusation of left leaning bias etc so their budget is very dependent on who is in power so that direct finding arrangement can muddy the waters of its independence. On the whole it's a great asset to the Australian population and something I happily find through my tax (the commercial free radio alone is worth it) and I'm certain you see the BBC as the same, it's more the funding model I find interesting.

    Anyone keen to pull up a stool at the bar? Happy to buy the first round.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,789
    I donít have a tv, radio or use any sort of streaming and yet it was incredibly difficult to get the BBCís licensing department off my back and to stop demanding payment from me. They simply donít believe anyone these days could not use their services. They were quite threatening.

  3. #3
    I don't have an issue with the TV licence (I do with their collection service though for the reason mentioned above) because I have a strong dislike of having whatever I'm watching being interrupted with commercial advertising.

    I also find BBC to be the generally the least biased of all of the news reporting and their 'Nature' programmes to be the best available.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    swansea uk
    Posts
    2,023
    If there was only the BBC on TV i would refuse to pay a penny.

    I pay the licence so i can watch the hundreds of other channels on freesat and freeview, plus use the iplayers type services on smart TV`s.

    The BBC and ITV love to waste money on making middle age twits rich who seem to be permanently juiced into their system, such as Ant and Dec.

    And the adverts on UK TV now seem to be every 10 mintes and 4 minutes long each lol, its terrible now.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    588
    There are many that treat dealing with the TV licensing people (Capita, not BBC) as a sport.

    http://www.bbctvlicence.com/index.htm

    https://tv-licensing.blogspot.com/

    Threads on Moneysavingexpert etc.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,375
    It should now be a subscription service and if you want it you pay for it.

    Only a few weeks ago the DG of the BBC said the service would be worth £400 per year on subscription...oh really...bring it on then and see how many people pay that.

  7. #7
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,954
    I've recently stopped the direct debit for mine as I do not use any BBC service. I've already had a letter telling me I need to put payment back in place but ignored it. It'll be interesting to see if a bloke turns up at the door demanding entry to check my TV etc. Which will of course be refused. There is a fair bit of information on this on the Internet.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    I no longer watch anything other than Internet recorded films/series etc.

    Pretty much because of ďthe unique way in which the BBC is fundedĒ, which essentially outlaws watching BBC broadcasts or any other live channel without a licence.

    Until recently I was spending up to 50% of the year in Australia too.

    I just donít see the point in it today, but others love it and appreciate it the way it is.

    They waste millions sending chasing letters each year. I will respond at some stage (Iíve already advised that one address is an empty property, and that I donít need a licence at my residence, and they stop for around 3-6 months and then just send the demand letters again) and advise that Iíll charge them the next time I have to waste anymore time receiving the junk mail.

    If they turned it into a pure new channel then fine, but they are an effectively state funded, public paid for service that get an unfair advantage to any other broadcaster. With any profits going back to be squandered.
    It's just a matter of time...

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    3,171
    I haven't had a license for around 9 years now, we never really watched anything live for a long long time but I'd faithfully pay it when the bill arrived. When my wife was expecting our first child she was rushed into hospital with complications and so started about 4 weeks of hell for us (mother and baby all fine in the end) during this time I was running a fairly big project and was bouncing between work and hospital. The mail just piled up, once everything was sorted wife and daughter home safe I started sorting out the mail etc paid all bills due no issues with anyone but the beeb who 15 days after the letter for the license fee sent a rather aggressive man to the gates demanding entry to see if we where watching TV. 15 days late wow I could've been on holiday or anything anyway he was sent packing and I got the bit between my teeth worked out that if I stopped watching top gear live (the only programme I ever watched live) I didn't need a licence. I sent them a complaint about their behaviour and stated that we no longer required a licence and have never heard anything since, it's an antiquated system to my mind and should be left to die.

  10. #10
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,403

    TV Licence?

    I love the BBCís nature programmes and journalism, the gold standard IMO. I also very much enjoy BBC radio (I accept radio outside scope of fee). For these I (would) gladly pay the license fee.

    I have two properties, and I donít pay the license fee for the second one (as I donít watch live TV there or iPlayer), and Iíve never been chased or threatened for payment since completing the non-use declaration many years ago. I imagine a lot of threats will be the result of user error / stupidity / ignorance.

    Oh yes, adverts annoy the t1ts off me on other channels.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    669
    I went legally licence free in July 2019 as a protest at the BBCs's woke, left-biased reporting and their metropolitan elite programmes that always portrayed farmers baad, Tories baad, Brexit baad, Christians baad, heterosexuals baad, white men baad etc. Haven't missed it for a moment
    Last edited by J J Carter; 13th February 2021 at 11:45.

  12. #12
    Master draftsmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Malta and sometimes bits of Brit
    Posts
    4,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I no longer watch anything other than Internet recorded films/series etc.

    Pretty much because of ďthe unique way in which the BBC is fundedĒ, which essentially outlaws watching BBC broadcasts or any other live channel without a licence.

    Until recently I was spending up to 50% of the year in Australia too.

    I just donít see the point in it today, but others love it and appreciate it the way it is.

    They waste millions sending chasing letters each year. I will respond at some stage (Iíve already advised that one address is an empty property, and that I donít need a licence at my residence, and they stop for around 3-6 months and then just send the demand letters again) and advise that Iíll charge them the next time I have to waste anymore time receiving the junk mail.

    If they turned it into a pure new channel then fine, but they are an effectively state funded, public paid for service that get an unfair advantage to any other broadcaster. With any profits going back to be squandered.
    Itís worse still that they pursue collection of TV licence payments in the IoM. I believe the Manx courts now enforce this. I understand (anecdotally) that in the past any Home Office licence enforcement people who turned up on the Island would be met at the Sea Terminal by government officials and told that as they didnít have and wouldnít be given work permits to operate, they needed to get back on the boat.

  13. #13
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    Hopefully not such a decisive/political topic that it doesn't fit the G&D...
    It started off so well...

    Unfortunately this discussion usually heads political quite rapidly. My 2p is that it only seems to be those with views at extremes of the spectrum that find the BBC to be particularly biased. The licence fee system is undoubtedly archaic and it is in need of funding reform, but I've lived in enough overseas countries long enough to see how much it is envied for quality and range (not forgetting things like radio, internet and educational output).
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Isle of Ynys Mon, Wales
    Posts
    1,543
    Perhaps, sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until after we lose it.

  15. #15

    TV Licence?

    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I've recently stopped the direct debit for mine as I do not use any BBC service. I've already had a letter telling me I need to put payment back in place but ignored it. It'll be interesting to see if a bloke turns up at the door demanding entry to check my TV etc. Which will of course be refused. There is a fair bit of information on this on the Internet.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    Not using any BBC service is not a defence for not having a licence.

  16. #16
    What! And miss highlights such as tomorrow night? The Ranganation, immediately followed by The Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan and on Tuesday The Ranganation again, and constant trailers for The Ranganation, interspersed with Romesh Ranganathan on Mock the Week, Have I Got News for You, Would I Lie To You......

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far East (of England)
    Posts
    2,391
    I think that it's time that the BBC was reigned in. Far too many "correspondents" and "presenters" who are only interested in self promotion and seem to ignore their primary function. I know that the BBC is more than just a news facility but they can't even pass on the news without airing their personal views. As said above, some of the programmes (wildlife etc) are second to none. The incestuous nature of the place also seems quite obvious, when the same faces seem to crop up all over the channel/s! If you are a "Yes" man presenter/actor/whatever (or woman or whatever!) they seem to over expose you to the point of viewer boredom! The political correctness has more recently just become totally ridiculous to the point where it is funnier than the comedy programmes (which are often not!). A good pruning would not be amiss IMHO. Rant over!

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not using any BBC service is not a defence for not having a licence.
    Provided he isnít watching a live broadcast of anything else thatís all thatís needed

  19. #19
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,482
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    What! And miss highlights such as tomorrow night? The Ranganation, immediately followed by The Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan and on Tuesday The Ranganation again, and constant trailers for The Ranganation, interspersed with Romesh Ranganathan on Mock the Week, Have I Got News for You, Would I Lie To You......
    You could always switch over to Sky and catch The Reluctant Landlord.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    4,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I no longer watch anything other than Internet recorded films/series etc.

    Pretty much because of “the unique way in which the BBC is funded”, which essentially outlaws watching BBC broadcasts or any other live channel without a licence.

    Until recently I was spending up to 50% of the year in Australia too.

    I just don’t see the point in it today, but others love it and appreciate it the way it is.

    They waste millions sending chasing letters each year. I will respond at some stage (I’ve already advised that one address is an empty property, and that I don’t need a licence at my residence, and they stop for around 3-6 months and then just send the demand letters again) and advise that I’ll charge them the next time I have to waste anymore time receiving the junk mail.

    If they turned it into a pure new channel then fine, but they are an effectively state funded, public paid for service that get an unfair advantage to any other broadcaster. With any profits going back to be squandered.
    I agree fully with this. The only BBC content viewed in our house is Death in Paradise (wife loves it) and occasionally MOTD. I’d gladly pay on demand as I do with NowTV, Apple TV, Amazon Prime etc but as it stands I am forced to pay for a service I don’t use. The license fee is ridiculously outdated in the modern media world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not using any BBC service is not a defence for not having a licence.
    Which demonstrates perfectly what a nonsense the system is.

  21. #21
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Provided he isnít watching a live broadcast of anything else thatís all thatís needed
    This. I don't use any BBC service live or otherwise

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    You could always switch over to Sky and catch The Reluctant Landlord.
    The horror, the horror!

    Romesh Ranganathan and lining Murdochís pockets.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    36,348
    That link to the Ian Botham guff tickled me. Seeing his mug on a screen will surely cause people to cancel their licence!

  24. #24

    TV Licence?

    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    This. I don't use any BBC service live or otherwise

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    Itís not just for BBC service, live or otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Provided he isnít watching a live broadcast of anything else thatís all thatís needed
    I know that. Why even mention the BBC, itís not relevant.

  25. #25
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    If there was only the BBC on TV i would refuse to pay a penny.

    I pay the licence so i can watch the hundreds of other channels on freesat and freeview, plus use the iplayers type services on smart TV`s.

    The BBC and ITV love to waste money on making middle age twits rich who seem to be permanently juiced into their system, such as Ant and Dec.

    And the adverts on UK TV now seem to be every 10 mintes and 4 minutes long each lol, its terrible now.

    Hilarious! There is so much more to the BBC than ITV's Ant & Dec.

    But why not refuse to pay a penny now? You'd still get all your other shite and can freely ignore the BBC.

    I just don't understand how people can look at the entire output of Aunty and say it's rubbish. It smacks of shoulder chips and ignorance.

  26. #26
    I have no problem with it. The news output is the best there is, the very fact that both left and right are constantly complaining of bias just shows what an excellent job they do of being neutral. Those that complain of bias should really take a look at the US networks to see what real bias is. Classic example this week of both sides using clips of the same CNN reporter in the impeachment trial. The Democrats show him almost in tears shouting ďprotesters should never be violentĒ during the assault on the Capitol, the Republicans counter with the same reporter, still almost in tears, stating that ďnobody says protests canít be violentĒ during a BLM protest.

    The only issue I have with the BBC is the constant positive discrimination, female footballers replacing male players as experts on the mens game and presenters being axed and replaced for no other reason that they are the wrong gender or the wrong colour. But the BBC are far from alone in this, the worst are probably Sky who have turned the once excellent Soccer Saturday into an unwatchable mess with genuinely funny and knowledgable pundits replaced with the likes of Clinton Morrison, who I only remember for pulling his penis out of his shorts and masturbating in front of the family enclosure at Vicarage Road after scoring against us many years ago!

  27. #27
    I get SO much value out of the BBC.
    It's extremely cheap as far as I'm concerned.
    I listen to BBC radio most days. Its podcasts are incredible. It provides great sport and wildlife shows. It offers an amazing website. Its news is unbiased and of great quality (though I agree others do this too). And it offers (some) very good entertainment shows.
    Absolute bargain and I'd say so at double the price too.

  28. #28
    Journeyman Dean Learner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It started off so well...
    One of the joys of asking opinions, especially on the internet, is you'll get some interesting answers.

    Even as someone on the other side of the world the BBC has brought me many hours of entertainment and education and I hope it continues. It's not without its faults but certainly something for the rest of the world to envy.

    Just interesting that they can come knocking on your door to see if you have a television and a licence.


    "Ah-hah! So you do have it! You little runt! The old trick, eh? Eat the telly before I get a chance to nick you!"

  29. #29
    They should just encode it and charge a subscription fee. Forcing people to pay for it just because they have a TV is just wrong in a (reasonably) democratic society. If you love it them great. It's for you to choose. My mum loves wildlife programmes and had the latest Attenborough documentary on when I last visited. Even that is dumbed down to make it dramatic. The last thing that was worth watching for me.
    I do listen to the World Service though....

  30. #30
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    One of the joys of asking opinions, especially on the internet, is you'll get some interesting answers.

    Even as someone on the other side of the world the BBC has brought me many hours of entertainment and education and I hope it continues. It's not without its faults but certainly something for the rest of the world to envy.
    Indeed, I was just having a dig at the seemingly inevitable political comment despite it being the G&D, but thankfully things have come back onto the track you intended.

    I absolutely agree with your statement, and for anybody who hasn't had a rummage thorough the podcasts on BBC Sounds, you really should. There's something for everybody.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunny Surrey
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I agree fully with this. The only BBC content viewed in our house is Death in Paradise (wife loves it) and occasionally MOTD. Iíd gladly pay on demand as I do with NowTV, Apple TV, Amazon Prime etc but as it stands I am forced to pay for a service I donít use. The license fee is ridiculously outdated in the modern media world.
    ?? But you are using the service.

    Personally, I have no problem in paying, I've spent enough time in assorted hotel rooms around the world to see just how bad TV can be. The breadth of assorted content whether TV (drama, news, documentaries), Radio, Internet etc. is second to none, and the envy of most countries.

    Then I read some of the forum threads about how to reduce the cost of Sky subscription and see most are paying more than the yearly BBC licence fee in two months for Sky, I choke on my cornflakes!

  32. #32
    Craftsman Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    538
    Happy to pay the licence fee.
    There are so many great programs that would never get made on any other channel.

    The Adam Curtis series of films and the Small Axe series by Steve McQueen are good examples.

    During lockdown who else would have broadcast hundreds of hours of Schools programming?

  33. #33
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    24,823
    The subject has been hammered to death already.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  34. #34
    So has Brexit but you're happy to bang on about that all day.

    Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    4,628
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    ?? But you are using the service.

    Personally, I have no problem in paying, I've spent enough time in assorted hotel rooms around the world to see just how bad TV can be. The breadth of assorted content whether TV (drama, news, documentaries), Radio, Internet etc. is second to none, and the envy of most countries.

    Then I read some of the forum threads about how to reduce the cost of Sky subscription and see most are paying more than the yearly BBC licence fee in two months for Sky, I choke on my cornflakes!
    I’m using it because I have to pay for it. If I consume no BBC content whatsoever (which I’d gladly do) but want to watch the Six Nations live on ITV I have to pay the license fee of which 90% I believe funds the BBC. How can that possibly be fair? If the license fee was split among all live content providers then I’d have no problem. I’m glad you like the Beeb but I don’t see why I should pay for your viewing preferences and I wouldn’t expect you to subsidise my NowTV subscription.
    Last edited by benny.c; 13th February 2021 at 12:24.

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Isle of Ynys Mon, Wales
    Posts
    1,543
    I don't use the local library/ bus service/ fire brigade/public toilets/leisure centre etc but I pay my council tax.... Never visited the doctor in my life or got drunk and ended up in A&E complaining about the long waiting time...

  37. #37
    Craftsman Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Iím using it because I have to pay for it. If I consume no BBC content whatsoever (which Iíd gladly do) but want to watch the Six Nations live on ITV I have to pay the license fee of which 90% I believe funds the BBC. How can than possibly be fair? If the license fee was split among all live content providers then Iíd have no problem. Iím glad you like the Beeb but I donít see why I should pay for your viewing preferences and I wouldnít expect you to subsidise my NowTV subscription.
    Presumably you don't watch the the Six Nations on the BBC then?

  38. #38
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    12,123
    The ABC system sounds very similar to the BBC one, except you pay it indirectly.

    I don't mind paying the TV licence - I watch more on the BBC than I do most other channels and I don't see, say, Netflix or Amazon Prime as better value (We do have a Netflix account and my wife is watching some interminable Turkish historical thing on it, but we often struggle to find anything we want to watch on there).

    Sadly this thread died once someone used the word 'Woke' - Whichever side of the fence you sit, once you use that word (in that context), you've marked yourself as an extremist.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  39. #39
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,312
    My problem is the criminalisation of refusal to pay and the assumption of guilt until proven innocent.
    We have 6 TV's and regularly use 3. We watch bbc regularly so can't really complain. My Daughter recently moved out and has declared no terrestrial use at her new house. She ignores the occasional letters and has stated she will refuse entry to any 'inspectors'. I would do the same but my Wife has a fear of admonishment.
    I just unplugged the aerial to see what you can get without free-to-air and it is quite a lot. Being brave enough to remove the aerial off the roof might be an idea.

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunny Surrey
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Iím using it because I have to pay for it. If I consume no BBC content whatsoever (which Iíd gladly do) but want to watch the Six Nations live on ITV I have to pay the license fee of which 90% I believe funds the BBC. How can that possibly be fair? If the license fee was split among all live content providers then Iíd have no problem.
    If you don't want the service stop watching the terrestrial TV that you do and stop paying, you have the choice. You can listen to the Six Nations on the radio, that's free.

  41. #41
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    12,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    My problem is the criminalisation of refusal to pay and the assumption of guilt until proven innocent.
    We have 6 TV's and regularly use 3. We watch bbc regularly so can't really complain. My Daughter recently moved out and has declared no terrestrial use at her new house. She ignores the occasional letters and has stated she will refuse entry to any 'inspectors'. I would do the same but my Wife has a fear of admonishment.
    I just unplugged the aerial to see what you can get without free-to-air and it is quite a lot. Being brave enough to remove the aerial off the roof might be an idea.
    Not sure what you mean by 'free-to-air', but :

    The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

    Watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
    Watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
    Download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.


    A lot there that unplugging your TV aerial doesn't cover...

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  42. #42
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Itís not just for BBC service, live or otherwise.



    I know that. Why even mention the BBC, itís not relevant.
    I should expand. This is taken straight from

    https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

    The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

    watch or record programmes as theyíre being shown on TV, on any channel

    watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

    download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
    This applies to any device

    I do non of these.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    Craftsman Halitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    483
    The BBC provide so much: lots of TV channels, radio stations, websites, Apps etc. I probably average one or more of these every woken hour and consider it a bargain.

    Not sure how the rules work, but it doesn't appear fair to me for people to refuse to pay the fee and then enjoy BBC content.

    Edit: just seen the post above. Not many households in that position I imagine.
    Last edited by Halitosis; 13th February 2021 at 13:12.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I should expand. This is taken straight from

    https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

    The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

    watch or record programmes as theyíre being shown on TV, on any channel

    watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

    download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
    This applies to any device

    I do non of these.

    Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    Yes, but originally you just said you didn't watch BBC, not none of those. That's why I commented.

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    4,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Presumably you don't watch the the Six Nations on the BBC then?
    I do but only because Iím effectively forced to pay for it. Iím quite happy not to watch if I donít have the pay the license fee.

    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    If you don't want the service stop watching the terrestrial TV that you do and stop paying, you have the choice. You can listen to the Six Nations on the radio, that's free.
    It apples to the other services I use though too. Unless I fund the BBC by paying the TV licence, I canít watch live football on BT Sport or Amazon, Sky Movies via NowTV at the time they are shown etc etc. And why should I give up the many commercial channels on Freesat just because I donít want to pay for the Beeb. Itís nonsense.

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    The BBC provide so much: lots of TV channels, radio stations, websites, Apps etc. I probably average one or more of these every woken hour and consider it a bargain.

    Not sure how the rules work, but it doesn't appear fair to me for people to refuse to pay the fee and then enjoy BBC content.

    Edit: just seen the post above. Not many households in that position I imagine.
    Weíve been in that position for years as have others I know of, to me the likes of yourself and others who enjoy and use the service should pay for it via a subscription service like Netflix etal at least giving people the chance to choose instead of the draconian way of ďif you watch any other live tv you from any other provider you must fund the bbcĒ seems very antiquated to me.
    As I said we donít pay it because we donít need it but many are forced to despite never using any bbc services.

  47. #47
    ive not owned a tv licence for 6+ yrs (legally licence free) i still get the monthly threat letters which i file under bin - ive had a few visits from 'inspectors' aka capita salesmen over the years and they just get told to do one and have the door shut on them - they have no legal power whatsoevver and are treated like any other door to door salesman.
    regardless of my opinion of the BBC (not much point going into details) the system is archaic and should just be made into PPV - that way there will be no argument at all - you either pay or you dont get it - the same as sky etc.

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    3,294
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I don't have an issue with the TV licence (I do with their collection service though for the reason mentioned above) because I have a strong dislike of having whatever I'm watching being interrupted with commercial advertising.
    The BBC are almost as bad at advertising as the commercial channels; they are just advertising their own output. It's often done with (presumably) hugely expensively produced adverts.

    And the "The Future Isn't Cancelled" 'thing' referred to in another thread is really starting to get on my wick!

  49. #49
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The BBC are almost as bad at advertising as the commercial channels; they are just advertising their own output. It's often done with (presumably) hugely expensively produced adverts.

    And the "The Future Isn't Cancelled" 'thing' referred to in another thread is really starting to get on my wick!
    Yes another thing that winds me up on the occasion I have seen bbc programmes of late (at others houses before the police start ) is the amount of adverts they have for there own stuff bit of a monopoly racket isnít it

  50. #50
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    4,649
    Quick question. I donít have Sky, I donít have Virgin, and I donít have an ariel connected to my tv, my tv is not even tuned to any free channels.
    I have Netflix and I have Amazon Prime and my kids watch crap on YouTube.
    Do I need a licence? I have one and pay it every month by direct debit but based on the above, do I legally need one?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information