closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: macOS Big Sur - avoid

Blog Entries

macOS Big Sur - avoid

As the title suggests. I’ve wasted about 10hrs so far trying to upgrade the MacOS on a recent MacBook Air - but so far failed and I have had to do a full reinstall to recover. Trying another go at the moment. Lots of posts on the www.

Bad form from Apple. Seems like a rushed release? Not like them which pride on the “click click” upgrade approach.

I’d wait a while.

Craftsman
    I upgraded over the weekend, no problem but then realised I’d lost lots of files. Spent 1 1/2 hours tonight on Apple tech line to resolve and seems ok now

Master
    We upgraded a MacBook Pro and an Air this weekend - no apparent issues, but the comment about missing files means I probably should check.

What files went missing ?

Pete

No problem on my ancient home MacbookPro, click and done. Waiting a month before I do my work machine though.

Master
    Upgraded a Mac Pro with no issues. I’d normally wait until the first version after a big release so they can iron out the most serious problems, but so far no issues at all. I did clone the HD first though just in case. All software working fine, one or two updates needed but nothing major. In theory it shouldn’t break too many things, it’s not that different from the previous version apart from a few features and some cosmetic stuff. Maybe there’s an issue with some configurations, I heard some older laptops had problems.

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I will contact Apple Support. I’ve tried to upgrade twice now and it failed to complete.

Master
    I tried to upgrade to Sur this weekend and failed to jump the last hurdle. I pressed the button to start it and walked off for 3 hours. On my return I was prompted for my Sur password which I do not have, so that was that. I may well contact the Apple helpline and take it from there.

Master
    My upgrade went without a problem I'd normally hold off as well sounds like I got lucky

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    We upgraded a MacBook Pro and an Air this weekend - no apparent issues, but the comment about missing files means I probably should check.

What files went missing ?

Pete
    I had a full document section disappear (42gb worth), not sure where it went but it took the tech guy over an hour to rectify - always had 10 out of 10 for service whenever I've called Apple support

Why upgrade?
    I think people are mad to do this unless you have to. I’m still on Mojave as upgrading will break my borderless printing on my A3+ canon printer and necessitate buying a new spyder pro screen calibrator.
    I also can’t use an old but still good Eizo graphics monitor (though I have a new one as my main screen)

I’m not super busy due to covid but the idea of intentionally breaking a system that works and pays the mortgage because you fancy upgrading is just stupid.

Grand Master
    Been running it for a month or so and not a single problem!
    RIAC

I upgraded over the weekend and haven't noticed any issues (late 2013 Macbook Pro). Hadn't thought to check if any files are missing, but I've just had a look and I can't see any problems there, either.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Installed on four devices. No issue at all. Only small problem with printer drivers.

However, I always do fresh installations. Manually copy files before erasing old OS completely. Works better that way.

Went without a hitch here, very happy with it.

Last week I updated my iMac to Catalina after delaying this for the time it has been out (must be over a year) so I'm not going to update again for a long time. My Mac was running fine anyway before I updated.

Mine installed no problem - MacBook Air. It is noticeably faster.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Last week I updated my iMac to Catalina after delaying this for the time it has been out (must be over a year) so I'm not going to update again for a long time. My Mac was running fine anyway before I updated.
    Mine's a mid-2012 (although refurbished by Apple a few years later) so I can't update beyond Catalina anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Mine's a mid-2012 (although refurbished by Apple a few years later) so I can't update beyond Catalina anyway.
    Same here. I skipped Catalina as well. It’s got so slow now and the battery doesn’t hold charge that I hardly use it. I use my iPad Pro in preference. I am definitely looking at the new Air as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Same here. I skipped Catalina as well. It’s got so slow now and the battery doesn’t hold charge that I hardly use it. I use my iPad Pro in preference. I am definitely looking at the new Air as a replacement.
    If it wasn't for COVID I'd have probably bought a new 13" Pro with a bit of additional memory by now. As it is I'll probably try to squeeze a couple more years out of it as its still running quite well.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th November 2020 at 12:08.

I know this isn't a helpful comment but I have no idea why people upgrade so soon. Even when I worked at Apple all business equipment was always at least two releases behind and the advice to business customers was do not upgrade immediately. Wait.

Unless there is something specific from the new OS that you absolutely need, give it a few months or stay one OS in arrears. Clone your computer onto an external HD using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner first with a bootable backup (at least 1, ideally more) and see how you get on.

These things go wrong so often and when they do it's such a nightmare.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Been running it for a month or so and not a single problem!

I guess you were running beta? Final public released on 12 November?

Having used Catalina for just over a week now I agree with you. Nothing really bad happened but I've noticed a few minor changes and glitches which weren't there before. I don't see anything that is actually positive for me personally with the update to Catalina. It's just a case of ignoring the message that pops up every day informing me there's a software update.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I know this isn't a helpful comment but I have no idea why people upgrade so soon. Even when I worked at Apple all business equipment was always at least two releases behind and the advice to business customers was do not upgrade immediately. Wait.

Unless there is something specific from the new OS that you absolutely need, give it a few months or stay one OS in arrears. Clone your computer onto an external HD using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner first with a bootable backup (at least 1, ideally more) and see how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    It's just a case of ignoring the message that pops up every day informing me there's a software update.
    The reason 95% of us upgrade!

Had an issue with 1Password, they rolled ove version 7.7 all fine now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Good advice, I use SuperDuper for the HD and ChronoSynch for daily backups of important docs, and anything I'm working on. Anyone who doesn't have a backup of the HD and any important stuff really needs to think about their life choices!

Having said that, it's hard not to be tempted into an upgrade when Apple are glossily promoting the new look and features, we all need a free early Christmas present at the moment. For this reason I was tempted to have a peek, having cloned the HD. Initially it was fine, but there are definitely a few glitches. The machine restarted 'due to a problem' a couple of times and QuickTime has unexpectedly quit when closing movies, News also quit unexpectedly. None of this has stopped me working or caused any serious problems as the pro apps I use all seem to be fine and the issues are minor and occasional. However it's not rock solid, so it would be good advice to wait for 11.1 (or at the very least the next minor upgrade, it's currently at 11.01) if you don't want to be a beta tester.

Master
    I’ve not yet updated, but nothing is stored locally it is all on the cloud, so should be fine. Just need to get around to doing it rather than ignoring the pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I updated the other night... the internet's not particularly quick here so left it running, ran the update in the morning...

Other than being a little 'rounder' I've not noticed much of a difference. Running on a 16" MBP, Catalina was reasonably quick and this seems about the same. Other than Sky Go crashing a couple of times (although no more than it did under previous OS's to be fair) it's been perfectly stable.

For the 1st time ever I can’t update!
    2013 iMac is too old, even though it happily runs Catalina, and my MB Air 2011 is now permanently locked to Catalina, following a ‘fool the OS installer’ patched upgrade last year, it runs quite well, a bit slow, but it’s my fallback Citrix Workspace device for work’s BCP scenario.

Anyone with an older Macbook Pro should definitely avoid for now:

macOS Big Sur Update Bricking Some Older MacBook Pro Models - MacRumors

Master
    If you have Avast security, disable it if you’re installing Big Sur, as it breaks Mail. Possibly only the Mail filter needs disabling, but I’m disabling the whole thing until it’s properly fixed. This isn’t Apple’s fault, it’s very much Avast’s fault that they didn’t notice their product caused such a huge problem. Other network filters may also cause problems.

Installed Big Sur in my iMac Pro this morning, it all went smoothly with no issues so far.

One good reason for upgrading: APFS Time Machine backups. They're blazingly faster.

There's an update from Apple for those upgrading 2013/2014 Macbook Pros https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211242

Master
    Upgraded my 16” MacBook Pro not many issues at all. I am now getting used to notifications and font but can’t see much difference except for the visual. Just awaiting the arrival of my new m1 mbp to test.

Master
    A bump just to say that 11.1 came out yesterday, mainly focussing on fixing issues. It seems to have sorted the odd glitch I was having. Now might be the time to give it a go if you’ve been waiting. After cloning your system though, Big Sur seems to have caused more issues than you’d expect these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A bump just to say that 11.1 came out yesterday, mainly focussing on fixing issues. It seems to have sorted the odd glitch I was having. Now might be the time to give it a go if you’ve been waiting. After cloning your system though, Big Sur seems to have caused more issues than you’d expect these days.
    Were you asked for a password to finish the install ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Were you asked for a password to finish the install ?
    No, only when your computer restarts
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I'm not seeing any update? It says my 11.0.1 is current.

Might be because I installed it on an older, unsupported MacBook

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    I'm not seeing any update? It says my 11.0.1 is current.

Might be because I installed it on an older, unsupported MacBook
    Unlikely, or you wouldn't have been able to install Big Sur at all. I would guess it is because they stage the updates across the country to avoid overloading their capacities

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Unlikely, or you wouldn't have been able to install Big Sur at all. I would guess it is because they stage the updates across the country to avoid overloading their capacities
    Thanks, hope so - I'll be patient then!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Thanks, hope so - I'll be patient then!
    In Apple's terminology. 11.0.1 is a minor update. 11.1 will be a significantly bigger one and 12 a fundamental evolution. I would expect any limitation from your current set up to only show at the 11.x level, at least.
    And the staging of updates happens regularly for iOS.

Hello

A minor update for Sur has dropped. Hoping it fixes my issues with linking to Bluetooth speakers and the odd random spinning wheel of death.

Best,

Ben

Big Sur

Well I took the plunge and downloaded Big Sur onto my MacBook 12inch and my Desktop is loaded with folders and pictures ie music and other downloads and some emails the list goes on I haven't a clue what to do have looked on the web but can't see this problem any ideas?
    Thanks
    Squashy1

- - - Updated - - -

Well I took the plunge and downloaded Big Sur onto my MacBook 12inch and my Desktop is loaded with folders and pictures ie music and other downloads and some emails the list goes on I haven't a clue what to do have looked on the web but can't see this problem any ideas?
    Thanks
    Squashy1

Big Sur

It looks to me that this message has duplicated itself am I right?

- - - Updated - - -

It looks to me that this message has duplicated itself am I right?

Did you have stacks enabled on the desktop previously and it's switched itself off? Right click on the desktop and see if Use Stacks is checked. If it isn't, check it. The system will automatically group similar stuff together.

Craftsman
    3 Macbooks in our house - 2 Pros and an Air 2017 and we have had no issues with installing or using BigSur - just a counterpoint to the somewhat over-dramatic thread headline.

Change took more memory than I had.

When looking at HD storage there’s 45GB in grey ‘Other’. Anybody know what this is and if any space can be recovered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Change took more memory than I had.

When looking at HD storage there’s 45GB in grey ‘Other’. Anybody know what this is and if any space can be recovered?
    I highly recommend Clean My Mac X

Blog Entries
    Upgraded my iMac to Big Sur day before yesterday. Had to reconfigure a couple of things, Safari homepage for one, but all else seems fine at the moment.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I highly recommend Clean My Mac X
    Thanks, free version or paid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk