closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn U50

Sinn U50

I always liked the look of the U1 but the size put me off. However I notice the U50 is 41mm in diameter and slimmer in thickness. I appreciate the hands may divide opinion but they are distinctive.

Anybody bought a U50 and if so, thoughts?

Master
    I'd be interested in answers to this too.

I am in the market too. Had hoped Tony (LTF) would have received his by now, but from memory, he posted that it had been delayed.

I think i have had six or seven U1’s over the years but always moved them on due to size. Never stops me from potentially buying another and missed a cheap 2008 one on EBay just a few days ago but I know the smaller release is the way to go.

Second hand U50’s are thin on the ground........I missed Metallic Muds here on SC purely as I had a few incomings. Nick has had a U1, U2 and U50 so hopefully he will see the thread and add his thoughts.

Master
    I got one from a trade. I hadn’t even considered buying one, but it is almost a perfect everyday watch.
    Size is perfect, the matte dial looks amazing and the legibility is amazing. Also the red gives it a nice splash of colour.
    Honestly can’t find anything to complaint about it.

That certainly does look good on you. May I ask your wrist size please?

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I got one from a trade. I hadn’t even considered buying one, but it is almost a perfect everyday watch.
    Size is perfect, the matte dial looks amazing and the legibility is amazing. Also the red gives it a nice splash of colour.
    Honestly can’t find anything to complaint about it.

What size wrist are you? It almost looks tiny but can't be.

I remember the U1 being just at the top end of my comfort zone on a 7" wrist, but actually wore a lot smaller than its dimensions.

Cracking watches.

I'm a bit of a Sinn Fan and if I was going to be buying a new U model from them it would be a U50 for sure I think its stunning

I've had mine since last summer and I'd thoroughly recommend it. The matte black dial looks great, especially with the quality of the AR treatment on the crystal. At most angles, it looks like there isn't a crystal at all. The watch is very legible. Most impressive though is the way the watch wears - the case diameter is perfect, the modest lug to lug length makes it easy for anyone to wear and it looks very thin for a 500m resistant watch.

The only slight downsides for me are that timekeeping is only average (+12 seconds per day for my watch) and the security clasp on the bracelet doesn't click into place very positively. Small points and overall it's a winner. Let me know if you have any specific questions or need any particular photos taken.

I am a big Sinn fan but at the minute it’s a no from me. Compared with what you can buy a nice U1 for used (with a better movement) and I honestly think the dial is too squished together.
    Maybe it’s just me but I like the U series in the current size, it just works and I have skinny wrists!

Master
    I love the look of them but they're about £500 over priced IMO.

I bought one last July and have been enamoured by it ever since. Perfect size for me and I find the design proportions perfect.

I bought an ETA Pelagos when they were released from Iconic for £2,400. The U50 is a similar price point, WR and workhorse movement. However the Pelagos was titanium, adjustable clasp and the dial was more detailed with raised indices.

However I am drawn to the U50 but agree the price is probably £500 higher than it should be. Not sure if Brexit has a part to play or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    That certainly does look good on you. May I ask your wrist size please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What size wrist are you? It almost looks tiny but can't be.

I remember the U1 being just at the top end of my comfort zone on a 7" wrist, but actually wore a lot smaller than its dimensions.

Cracking watches.
    My wrist is just under 7,5”(19cm).

I bought one last July - mine's the fully tegimented one on a bracelet and it hasn't left my wrist since. None of my other watches have gotten a sniff and for someone who likes various watches and swaps around that's really saying something. Longest honeymoon period with a watch I've had. It looks great on a rubber strap too - I used a Bonetto Cinturini 285. The case hardened model has a subdued, titanium colour to it which makes a change from either brushed or polished "silver" stainless steel on my other watches.

I have a 16.5cm/6.5" wrist and it wears really well, being neither too small nor too big. It's big enough to look like a dive watch/sports watch yet it's slimness and slim lugs lets it disappear when needed. The dial is a paragon of clarity as has been stated on many occasions about the bigger U1. The red accents give it a sporty look without getting gaudy - obviously my personal opinion here. I always loved the U1 but with a small wrist it was simply a non-runner. It's all very well saying that for the price you can get a U1 - but that's only true if you have a wrist that can get away with a U1 or you like large watches. Remove these and the U1 isn't an option.

The luminous paint on the dial and hands doesn't glow as bright as a Seiko when freshly "charged", this has been said before and is indeed true. But here's my real world experience comparing to say a Seiko of some sort which is known to glow well - I think I prefer the U50. Seiko's in my opinion use hands that are too short for the dial size and often have the luminous hour markers inset form the chapter ring. Couple that with having a border on the hands and the luminous part is maybe 1/3rd of the width of the hands. The U50's luminous paint has staying power, it may not be bright but it lasts. I was able to tell it was 6:58 when I looked at it after waking up this morning. The luminous hour markers are right at the edge of the dial, maximising used space and the decently size hands are painted their entire width. What makes the dial so clear during the daytime works well at night also.

Prior to getting the watch I had 2 things that I'd read about the U1 that concerned me - the outer AR coating on the crystal being a smudge magnet and play in the bezel. Well, I noticed some smudges at first but not any more. And I honestly don't think that is simply me no longer noticing them with familiarity gained of the watch. I think perhaps immediately from the factory there may have been either a film of some sort from manufacturing that made it extra sensitive to smudging that wore off pretty quickly or possibly that when I first got the watch it was summer and I was in short sleeves. Now it's colder and I'm in long sleeves, the crystal is continually polished by my clothing so has no smears on it. Whatever - it's something that is of no concern to me.

The second issue was again, nothing to worry about. There is no play or looseness in my bezel at all. Obviously due to to the mechanics of it's operation, if you rotate it slowly there's a certain backlash once you stop turning and it settles into the notches but from there - not s smidgen of a a wiggle. I love the sound also, I don't know how to describe it - less "tinny" than some others?

Accuracy of my example has been excellent, gaining about 3 seconds a day. I set it on the 1st of January at -30s, 4 weeks later on the 29th it was at +44s. It gained 74 seconds in total, +18.5s/week or +2.64 s/day. On the 1st of February I reset it again to -30s. Today, 12 days later it's at +1s. So in the last 12 days it's gained 31 seconds or +2.58s/day.

The only downside for me is the cost - this is far, far (far) and away the most expensive watch I have ever owned.

Last edited by Narc'd; 13th February 2021 at 12:23.

Thanks Narcd for that comprehensive review. I’m leaning towards the SDR version that has the black bezel and darker case and bracelet. I don’t believe the bracelet is tegmented.

Craftsman
    This is my next watch goal. I'm used to Seiko and wear a SBBN035 tuna as a workhorse watch. This looks like a good, tough, alternative. Need to sell a few first though....

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Thanks Narcd for that comprehensive review. I’m leaning towards the SDR version that has the black bezel and darker case and bracelet. I don’t believe the bracelet is tegmented.

Some photos of mine - I think the watch looks great on a NATO:

I like it a lot particularly because it's not a homage or throwback...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    All good reviews thanks,

This is making me really want one of these! A sinn has been on my list for a while, now might be this one at the top

For those interested, neither Jura, nor CW Sellors (they might be under the same ownership) have the tegimented U50 SDR on bracelet in stock. They are quoting 4-6 delivery time from Sinn.

For those interested, neither Jura, nor CW Sellors (they might be under the same ownership) have the tegimented U50 SDR on bracelet in stock. They are quoting 4-6 delivery time from Sinn.
    Well looks like LTF’s isn’t getting his now and I likewise won’t be ordering via Jura.

See here

RLE many thanks for the heads up and the link to LTF’s problems. I won’t be using Jura now and if I decide to proceed will either order direct from Sinn or contact Neil at Chronomaster.

Craftsman
    Hopefully not 4 to 6 years like Rolex

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Hopefully not 4 to 6 years like Rolex

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    It’s weeks not years. Although, many people would be happy to accept a 4-6 years wait for a Daytona!

Craftsman
    I picked up my U50 from SC just before Christmas. It's a quality piece, tegimented steel so resistant to daily knocks, bezel clicks really positively, looks good with different straps. I have worn it with bracelet, silicone and MN type elasticated and it has been a daily wearer since receiving it. The size is perfect for my 7 inch wrist and it's different to the run of the mill diver. Go for it.

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk