closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bearpit

Master

Bearpit

I think it's a shame that the bearpit has become just a place for people to swear and call each other names. I'm surprised that it denigrated so, as I would have thought that a collective of watch enthusiasts would have been more adult and respectful of others (including the rights of others to hold different beliefs and or views). I would point out that it appears a small group of "regulars" though that appear to hold court mostly and are the ones to blame for it being such an unpleasant place. Maybe it carries over to their private and family lives, who knows.

BUT, does anyone here agree that it would be interesting to have an area where political and other areas could be discussed, aired, and debated in a respectful and perhaps even educational manner?

I'm a great believer of free speech and exchange of views and ideas and hold that if there was more openess and discussion in society perhaps it could be a better place (I know the bearpit would be!!)
    Last edited by redmonaco; 12th February 2021 at 17:10.

You do realise you've posted this in the G&D?

Do you want to start a row in an empty pub?
    ______

​Jim.

Unfortunately otherwise calm, measured, and intelligent people can become very irate, defensive, and downright abusive when their beliefs and values are called into question.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Unfortunately otherwise calm, measured, and intelligent people can become very irate, defensive, and downright abusive when their beliefs and values are called into question.
    Oi! Who are you calling calm, measured and intelligent? You and your Oxford comma can just bog off.

A nice idea, but pointless in my opinion, unless you restrict membership to exclude those who frequent the BP.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I never look in the BP. Had a look not my scene.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    BUT, does anyone here agree that it would be interesting to have an area where political and other areas could be discussed, aired, and debated in a respectful and perhaps even educational manner?
    I don't think that's ever going to be possible on the internet unless there's a very strict moderating system in place.

I also never look at the bearpit but it does have its purpose of drawing all the crap away from G&D and the main forums.

Where is this mythical place they call the Bear Pit? Presumably one has to have a certain standing (post count/years/by invite) for it to reveal itself?

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I would point out that it appears a small group of "regulars" though that appear to hold court mostly and are the ones to blame for it being such an unpleasant place. Maybe it carries over to their private and family lives, who knows.

I agree that it would be a good idea, but as others have already pointed out it would be impossible.
    The small group of regulars you mention do indeed tend to hold court, and they have a modus operandi that comes into play whenever someone writes a post that doesn't fit into their very very narrow view of the world.
    Firstly one of the cabal will fire a passive aggressive question at you, then others will line up to fling more questions at you, usually employing the tactic of picking up on the minutiae of your post rather than the general message until you are mired in their muck.
    If at this point you don't give up and agree how right they are, you will be called a gammon, daily mail reader, or words I cant write here.
    There are only about half a dozen of them, but they all certainly have 'issues' which must sadly permeate all aspects of their lives as you have alluded to.
    A week or so ago I pm'd Eddie to request he remove my access to the bearpit because of its toxic nature, which he has kindly done. Yes I know I didn't have to go there, but it's like driving past a car crash, don't want to look but can't help it.
    The forum is now a far more pleasant place for me without that cesspit stinking away. I was about to write that some of the cabal will surely be along shortly to vent their spleen, but not sure most of them ever leave it to read the rest of the forum.

The bearpit has definitely not become just a place for people to swear and call each other names. There are some easily avoidable threads where that happens but there's also plenty of good stuff including a thread currently asking after the wellbeing of members who have gone off radar, a contemplative 'Quiet Room', 'Reasons to be Cheerful' and supportive discussions about medical treatments.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Agreed. I see a lot more good than harm. But then I tend to stay away from the politics etc. as my views no doubt differ considerably to the majority of posts.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I agree that it would be a good idea, but as others have already pointed out it would be impossible.
    The small group of regulars you mention do indeed tend to hold court, and they have a modus operandi that comes into play whenever someone writes a post that doesn't fit into their very very narrow view of the world.
    Firstly one of the cabal will fire a passive aggressive question at you, then others will line up to fling more questions at you, usually employing the tactic of picking up on the minutiae of your post rather than the general message until you are mired in their muck.
    If at this point you don't give up and agree how right they are, you will be called a gammon, daily mail reader, or words I cant write here.
    There are only about half a dozen of them, but they all certainly have 'issues' which must sadly permeate all aspects of their lives as you have alluded to.
    A week or so ago I pm'd Eddie to request he remove my access to the bearpit because of its toxic nature, which he has kindly done. Yes I know I didn't have to go there, but it's like driving past a car crash, don't want to look but can't help it.
    The forum is now a far more pleasant place for me without that cesspit stinking away. I was about to write that some of the cabal will surely be along shortly to vent their spleen, but not sure most of them ever leave it to read the rest of the forum.
    Agree. Unless you are left of Castro the mutts will try and savage you into submission. Fortunately they are unable to detect mordant sarcasm and irony as I uncovered recently.

Blog Entries
    Agree with you pretty much. Had a period where I was pretty much in a minority and felt the burn a bit. Gave as good back so no complaints. Now barred from there for 'playing the man' apparently, which I thought was a bit ironic.

Don't miss it now anyway, I'm happy how things turned out!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Bearpit

Since Eddie binned the toxic Draft Thread, the BP has got a lot more civilised.

Not to say it is civilised, it was just the Wild West when the Draft Thread was around.

Edit : I don’t think the name of Bear Pit is useful. It sets the place up for confrontation. I’d change the name of that sub forum to be a lot softer.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 12th February 2021 at 19:48.

Master
    I now avoid it as it is a place that bullies frequent and if you don't agree with their views then they set on you like a pack of dogs.

So far none of the regular sad men that spoil it haven't replied to this thread.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are basically three positions in the hairy pit - neutral observer, considered engagement, full on engagement. Each position has a predictable outcome - so actually not a problem if you make an informed choice. There are very good reasons why political comment is banned in most open forums. Perhaps the very mention of the bear Pit in the open forum is an act of 'bear baiting' itself?

Master
    Everyone's an adult here, if you don't care for it don't go there, I personally think that there's some interesting reading, you just have to self-filter the content.

As St. Nicholas said, it "is part of the fabric that makes it TZ" (and only those who venture in will get that reference).

Just avoid the stuff you don't like, it's not difficult. There are plenty of threads in Watch Talk and Boys' Room that are not my cuppa so I don't open them.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 12th February 2021 at 20:17.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh great.

So obviously on a Friday night after a couple of sherbets this thread has made me go look. Now I have weird pictures in my head to do with milk.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 12th February 2021 at 20:20.

I would say no as it would simply degenerate in the same way as the Bear Pit has. If it were my call I'd simply delete the Bear Pit and even as it stands I would not count posts in that area to overall post count - that may not be possible with the vBulletin software. There are individuals who love to argue and have several thousand posts in, for example, just the Brexit thread. There are 12 people in that thread alone with over 1,000 posts with the most being 5,272. It artificially inflates their post count in a forum where the focus is watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I would say no as it would simply degenerate in the same way as the Bear Pit has. If it were my call I'd simply delete the Bear Pit and even as it stands I would not count posts in that area to overall post count - that may not be possible with the vBulletin software. There are individuals who love to argue and have several thousand posts in, for example, just the Brexit thread. There are 12 people in that thread alone with over 1,000 posts with the most being 5,272. It artificially inflates their post count in a forum where the focus is watches.
    People aren't posting there to boost their post count, they just like posting.

Strange that you're even concerned about post count TBH.

There are people who only post in Sales Corner, WTB and H&V. There are people who only post about price rises and residual values which is a big turn off for many. There are people who just enjoy a bit of banter in G&D. It's a community and it takes all sorts. I like having the arguments and swearing confined to a specific area.

TBH I find quite a lot of comedy in the BP, it's only a keyboard and screen after all.

End of the day it's good we're not all the same.

There are the few who won't reason or take someone else's point of view, I know what I want to say but can't in the G&D.

I steer clear of the Cess Pit too, but I'm sure anywhere would soon become a childish, name calling area if politics are involved.

I mean, just look at the Houses of Parliament...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    The Bear Pit, providing you can self filter as another poster has stated, I find is very helpful......sometimes funny, sometimes challenging my thinking and views and quite often a provider of well and not so well researched information..... it is what it is, we are all adults and much as I personally appreciate it, even if I didn't I think having a sand pit for playing "differently" keeps the rest of the forum far more civilised.....

I have to agree with Mr Curta, avoid the bits that you have little interest in or threads where debate is a futile exercise. It’s not the main draw of the forum for me but it can be quite cathartic in small doses.
    Look at it in a positive light, it keeps the members who like to tell everyone how clever and important they are, out of the rest of the forum
    The humour threads, the reasons to be cheerful etc. are all quite enjoyable to read. Most are a place to vent your current thoughts.
    Items discussed in the bear pit tend to be polarising by nature and I fear you will never ensure civility without moderation and as soon as you have that you loose impartiality and the ability to hear all sides, even though you may not like what is written.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    it's only a keyboard and screen after all.
    I had the same comment from someone who told me it’s only a cock and a hand. Let’s just say it was/is not my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    People aren't posting there to boost their post count, they just like posting.

Strange that you're even concerned about post count TBH.
    I don't give a rats hoop about post count but when newcomers arrive it can give a false impression of contribution to watch related matters on what is a watch forum.
    Last edited by Skier; 12th February 2021 at 22:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    There are people who only post in Sales Corner, WTB and H&V. There are people who only post about price rises and residual values which is a big turn off for many. There are people who just enjoy a bit of banter in G&D. It's a community and it takes all sorts. I like having the arguments and swearing confined to a specific area.
    At least that is about watches. I don't frequent the Bear Pit and don't see it as in anyway adding to the forum that is, after all, a watch forum. In my humble opinion it's a toxic environment largely frequented by keyboard warriors who have zero tolerance of other's points of view. Who has changed their point of view as a result of 973 pages of crap in the Brexit thread? Yes, the facility is there but it's utterly pointless and I'm frankly staggered that people feel that it's a good use of their time; each to their own. I've just come to the end of a 57.5hr working week and came to the forums to have another look at the white gold Rolex Pepsi in SC that I'm seriously thinking about.

I don't give a rats hoop about post count but you when newcomers arrive it can give a false impression of contribution to watch related matters on what is a watch forum.
    They'll soon realise it's not.

Love it or hate it, it sets this forum apart from the bland tripe on so many other over moderated forums. Also, if taken together with H&V, it gives a very clear picture of who not to interact with or deal with.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Love it or hate it, it sets this forum apart from the bland tripe on so many other over moderated forums. Also, if taken together with H&V, it gives a very clear picture of who not to interact with or deal with.
    I agree Bob.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    It tends to reveal the worst in people…. I haven’t set foot in there for years and don’t intend to venture back…

Debate is about listening as well as projecting…. Very little of the former takes place so it becomes quite wearisome.

I love discussing history / politics with my mates too and enjoy a healthy discussion and exchange of views…. Shame really

Blog Entries
    At least that is about watches.....
    A bit ironic considering we're talking about the BP in the G&D, another part of the forum where we rarely, if ever, discuss watches.

The BP is just another version of the G&D imho, just a "broader" range of topics and extra attitude.

YMMV

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I now avoid it as it is a place that bullies frequent and if you don't agree with their views then they set on you like a pack of dogs.

So far none of the regular sad men that spoil it haven't replied to this thread.
    Yes it is totally, and no they haven't yet if they ever will. That would require them leaving their pit and showing true colours.
    Some are trying to say if you don't like it you don't need to read it. Apologists of all sorts of racist, sexist, bullying creeds use that excuse all over social media often in the name of 'freedom of expression', not saying these guys are like that, but it does raise doubt. Some are pointing out that there are benign or useful threads on there. Yes there are for sure, but why do they need to be in a restricted access area of the forum?

Yes it is totally, and no they haven't yet if they ever will. That would require them leaving their pit and showing true colours.
    Some are trying to say if you don't like it you don't need to read it. Apologists of all sorts of racist, sexist, bullying creeds use that excuse all over social media often in the name of 'freedom of expression', not saying these guys are like that, but it does raise doubt. Some are pointing out that there are benign or useful threads on there. Yes there are for sure, but why do they need to be in a restricted access area of the forum?
    Hardly restricted, what is it, 250 posts to gain access?

Hardly restricted, what is it, 250 posts to gain access?
    Is access automatic upon joining TZ? No.

Shouldn't this thread be in the Bearpit?

Is access automatic upon joining TZ? No.
    And?

And?
    A post count related restriction is placed upon accessing it, therefore, access is restricted. That is my definition of restricted, if yours differs that's fine, an opinion I'll not agree with but respect.

A post count related restriction is placed upon accessing it, therefore, access is restricted. That is my definition of restricted, if yours differs that's fine, an opinion I'll not agree with but respect.
    Don’t disagree, but I said *hardly restricted*. Consider the definition of hardly, it doesn’t mean not.

250 Posts to access the BP is hardly onerous.

Don’t disagree, but I said *hardly restricted*. Consider the definition of hardly, it doesn’t mean not.

250 Posts to access the BP is hardly onerous.
    Not onerous true, but a restriction nonetheless.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 13th February 2021 at 01:22.

Not onerous true, but a restriction nonetheless.
    As I said, hardly restricted. Not sure why you're arguing with me TBH.

As I said, hardly restricted. Not sure why you're arguing with me TBH.
    Nor you with me, must be the term 'bearpit' in the title working its bad magic. Peace.

Some are pointing out that there are benign or useful threads on there. Yes there are for sure, but why do they need to be in a restricted access area of the forum?
    1. It's a facility that has allowed conversation about subjects such as childhood cancer with supportive members of this community slightly outside of the public domain, in language of my choice and with a healthy injection of humour. Its existence assisted in maintaining my personal mental wellbeing immeasurably during the darkest of times. I would not have wanted to share such things in a completely open area at the time. This is one of the most supportive online communities that I have encountered, and the BP is a key part of that.

2. It means that swearing, politics and religion are all kept away from the rest of the forum where those who want to avoid such things can easily do so.

Good points.

^Yes, that is how I feel too.

It's certainly possible to have a thread about a difficult subject that is filled with respect and empathy. Just make it clear from the start that you expect people to treat each other well. Generally, everyone plays ball. And if they don't, sometimes you have to understand that people are dealing with life and all that entails.

I steer well clear of the BP now. It seems most of the threads on there get spoiled by the Pound Shop Burnsy’s.

Well said.

No likey, no looky: simple enough I think.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Well said.

No likey, no looky: simple enough I think.

R
    Agreed, plus the Bearpit Formula 1 thread is much better that the G & D version.