closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: LG B7 to CX?

LG B7 to CX?

So John Lewis are coming around to look at/take away my 65” B6 tomorrow. My son burnt in an image after streaming on his phone but more recently the YouTube logo from the built in app has burned in too! This last thing should have been prevented by the screen saver. Looking on other forums, I think they will just palm me off.

I don’t think I can put up with the screen burn any more so will probably get a 65” CX. The consensus seems to be that the latest OLED are not as vulnerable to burn.

Burn aside, can I expect a significant upgrade in picture quality and performance? I’m looking forward to 120hz gaming but wonder if I would notice any other benefits?

The price of the 65CX is very good at the moment so I want to seize the opportunity if its worth the change.
    Last edited by Matt London; 25th February 2021 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    So John Lewis are coming around to look at/take away my 65” B6 tomorrow. My son burnt in an image after streaming on his phone but more recently the YouTube logo from the built in app has burned in too! This last thing should have been prevented by the screen saver. Looking on other forums, I think they will just palm me off.

I don’t think I can put up with the screen burn any more so will probably get a 65” CX. The consensus seems to be that the latest OLED are not as vulnerable to burn.

Burn aside, can I expect a significant upgrade in picture quality and performance? I’m looking forward to 120hz gaming but wonder if I would notice any other benefits?

The price of the 65CX is very good at the moment so I want to seize the opportunity if its worth the change.
    I did this exact swap few weeks ago.
    B6 55” to the cx65
    Got mine from richer sounds 6y guarantee. My impressions are
    Sound from speakers is certainly improved
    Picture is better (not massively so )
    65 “ is perfect for me.
    Few extra setting ref sound and picture options
    Don’t do any gaming so can’t comment
    But I still see blur when watching sport ie
    Snooker the balls blur when hit
    Footy same with football when kicked it blurs across the screen slightly
    Watching Netflix thru the button in the magic remote is fantastic. Allows Dolby sound and vision on the cx65
    Last edited by lenlec; 12th February 2021 at 13:49.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I did this exact swap few weeks ago.
    B6 55” to the cx65
    Got mine from richer sounds 6y guarantee. My impressions are
    Sound from speakers is certainly improved
    Picture is better (not massively so )
    65 “ is perfect for me.
    Few extra setting ref sound and picture options
    Andy
    Cheers Andy.

I should have said that the sound will be going through a 7.1 Amp. Which will also need upgrading to carry the HDMI 2.1 signal.

I had planned to wait another two years to upgrade, but the bloomin burn does my head in. It does The Missus head in too because I mention it every time we are watching TV together.

Cheers Andy.

I should have said that the sound will be going through a 7.1 Amp. Which will also need upgrading to carry the HDMI 2.1 signal.

I had planned to wait another two years to upgrade, but the bloomin burn does my head in. It does The Missus head in too because I mention it every time we are watching TV together.
    Hi mate. Is your b6 still under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi mate. Is your b6 still under warranty?
    Yes. The John Lewis warranty mentions nothing about screen burn not being included. Apparently their later warranties do. I made my ‘expect to be palmed off’ comment based on stuff I have read about John Lewis on AV forums.

Hi Mate
    I have the LG CX 48 inch , I will agree with most of what lenlec says it is a great TV picture quality wise, the CX has a A9 Processor which helps picture , etc...
    I haven"t noticed any Blurring with sport , but there are lots of Settings to play with to get it how you want it , i had mine Calibrated last week and it does look stunning now , hopefully you have Netflix ULTRA package ? do you can watch some Dolby Vision/ UHD content, As Lenlec says sound is fine from set , but i see you have an AMP

it is certainly a step up from the B6 and well worth getting if you can get this one... really annoying about Screen Burn the CX does a Pixel Refresh every 4 hrs to help this , JL may replace the screen but looking at the AV forum lately they are just replacing the set ! lack of Screens in the country

Cheers
    Last edited by arthurDALEY; 12th February 2021 at 14:05.

Yes. The John Lewis warranty mentions nothing about screen burn not being included. Apparently their later warranties do. I made my ‘expect to be palmed off’ comment based on stuff I have read about John Lewis on AV forums.
    I’d try and get if fixed for free under warranty. And then maybe wait a year so ? The jump isn’t massive The B6 is a good tele in its own right IMO

Master
    The CX9(?) has AI processing and can integrate with sound bars. Good picture but:

the electronic program guide is painfully slow

It forgets the wifi connections so has to be reset

and will not play nicely with the new Bluetooth standards.

If these are important, may be worth checking or keeping the receipt !

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    The CX9(?) has AI processing and can integrate with sound bars. Good picture but:

the electronic program guide is painfully slow

It forgets the wifi connections so has to be reset

and will not play nicely with the new Bluetooth standards.

If these are important, may be worth checking or keeping the receipt !

The 2020 CX is also known as the 10 and has the Alpha 9 3 Gen Processor
    Not had any problems as Joe as said but it seems the problems with OLEDS are never widespread and everyone seems to have different problems..
    but it is the best picture you can get

Cheers

Journeyman
    Just had my b6 sent off to LG - in for screen burn. They have a discounted £200 for panel replacement, but called a couple of weeks ago to offer a swap to a new bx. Arrived today, Richersounds have transferred the remaining warranty... all looks great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read 'LGB' and thought this was going to be a gender reassignment thread!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Just had my b6 sent off to LG - in for screen burn. They have a discounted £200 for panel replacement, but called a couple of weeks ago to offer a swap to a new bx. Arrived today, Richersounds have transferred the remaining warranty... all looks great!!

I would be interested to know the details behind this. How did you get from a £200 charge to replacement?

John Lewis’ contractor came and took some photos and the serial number. His company send the pictures to JL and they decide what action to take. He said his company do the screen replacements but I couldn’t get any more than that out of him. I don’t blame him for not wanting to be drawn on the subject.

I would be interested to know the details behind this. How did you get from a £200 charge to replacement?

John Lewis’ contractor came and took some photos and the serial number. His company send the pictures to JL and they decide what action to take. He said his company do the screen replacements but I couldn’t get any more than that out of him. I don’t blame him for not wanting to be drawn on the subject.
    Going by lots of posts on the AV Forum
    Lack of screens available hence replacement TV, rather have a new set myself

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Going by lots of posts on the AV Forum
    Lack of screens available hence replacement TV, rather have a new set myself

Cheers
    Fingers crossed for this solution. I won’t bank on it though.

Master
    Very interested to read this. I have an E7 which has bad screen burn and also massive green shading across a large part of the centre. Research suggested screen burn definitely not covered by the warranty. However, “green screen” is reported as a definite manufacturing fault. It’s an overheating issue apparently.

I've opened a case with the retailer so hoping for a trouble free, satisfactory resolution.

Craftsman
    The new 2021 models are starting to trickle out now so you may be able up get a hefty discount of you wait a bit and pick up the 2020 model

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Agreed. They said replacement parts would not be available for at least a month so put me across to their settlements team to make an alternative offer, hence the new BX

I had not heard anything from John Lewis so gave them a call.

After they said it wasn’t covered in the warranty I explained to them that, contrary to their belief, it was not mentioned specifically in the guarantee they sent me. I was put on hold for ten minutes they came back and said ‘misuse’ about eight times. I told them that I disputed this as there were many marks that should have been prevented by the screen saver. They were having none of it.

I will admit that a fair proportion of the burn is down to one screen being left on. However, there are many images that should have been prevented by the screen saver, specifically YouTube logos etc. There are images burnt in from that correlate only with the LG app. There is also a logo from Sky News. A channel that is not viewed that much at all!

I am not sure what to do next. It seems like the Big Boys will win. Although I am contemplating going down the small claims route.

Hi Matt
    I put your question to a couple of people on a AV Forum in the same situation as you , hope the reply helps you

Depends on age of unit greatly, that B6 appears 2016/2017, so a good 4-5 years old already.

Older the unit is the harder it may be to dispute JL is going against the consumer regulations law, specifically the not of "satisfactory quality" route or even the its not fit for its "intended purpose" laws.

Course he can ask to be referred to management at john lewis or someone higher up level and go down the route his TV is not fit of satisfactory quality and he should directly mention its against the consumer regulations law, its worth a long shot really.

Otherwise I would suggest he also contact LG directly and ask if he can get a panel replacement option repair. If he does get the option, he can either pay it himself (usually £200-250) or again ask JL to try and cover the cost saying the goods he bought was not of a satisfactory quality, he can of course attempt to ask LG directly covers the cost stating it was not sold of satisfactory quality.

Either way I think if his TV set is 4-5 years old, £200 or £250 is really not a bad deal.

Today's technology and especially TV sets are not that good quality, if you get one that last 5 years you are one of the lucky ones, id say 3-4 years for a TV to last before failing is good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Hi Matt
    I put your question to a couple of people on a AV Forum in the same situation as you , hope the reply helps you

Depends on age of unit greatly, that B6 appears 2016/2017, so a good 4-5 years old already.

Older the unit is the harder it may be to dispute JL is going against the consumer regulations law, specifically the not of "satisfactory quality" route or even the its not fit for its "intended purpose" laws.

Course he can ask to be referred to management at john lewis or someone higher up level and go down the route his TV is not fit of satisfactory quality and he should directly mention its against the consumer regulations law, its worth a long shot really.

Otherwise I would suggest he also contact LG directly and ask if he can get a panel replacement option repair. If he does get the option, he can either pay it himself (usually £200-250) or again ask JL to try and cover the cost saying the goods he bought was not of a satisfactory quality, he can of course attempt to ask LG directly covers the cost stating it was not sold of satisfactory quality.

Either way I think if his TV set is 4-5 years old, £200 or £250 is really not a bad deal.

Today's technology and especially TV sets are not that good quality, if you get one that last 5 years you are one of the lucky ones, id say 3-4 years for a TV to last before failing is good imo.
    A big thank you for following this up and passing on the info! 👍 I will probably try JL again.

3-4 years is good going for a modern TV? That’s just nonsense, suppliers wouldn’t be offering 5 or 6 year warranty as standard if that were the case.

Hi Justin
    In fairness he did say IMHO so his own views

Cheers

Here is the follow up email from JL. Funnily enough the link for the guarantee is not for the same one as I actually received after purchase. I will be following this up with the angle and wording previously suggested.

"Further to your conversation with my colleague, I am writing in regards to your LG television. I was disheartened to learn that your item has developed screen burn, as I can recognise the concern this may cause. Please be assured I am happy to advise.

As discussed in the call, I can confirm that screen burn is not covered under the 5 years parts and labour guarantee. This is as screen burn is considered as miss use of the item by the manufacturer, who include the below statement within the items operational manual;

'Displaying a still image for a prolonged period of time may cause
    image sticking. Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen for a
    long period of time.'

Please follow the link to our Gurantees page online, where you can find the list of terms and conditions which confirm that image ghosting/screen burn is not covered;

https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/guarantees

For further information on screen burn, you can follow the below link to LG's webpage online, where they go into further detail regarding OLED technology;

https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs...tv/reliability

Going forward, I would recommend contacting LG directly, as they have been able to look into repair at a reduced cost when screen burn has occurred.

Should you have any other questions or queries regarding the above information, then please contact us on the number at the bottom of this email, where one of my colleagues will be more than happy to assist you. Otherwise I would like to thank you for your time today, and I hope that you are well going forward."

Hey Matt
    Another reply from your last post , all these people have gone through the same so maybe of help....

Yeah its a tough one, course as with any retailer giving the brush off you can argue there was no prolonged use, he could certainly take a snap shot picture of his screen saver on and any other burn proof features to show this.

Id reckon its worth addressing another email to JL addressing to management team reminding them of the above and that there has been no prolonged use to the screen and they have gone against the consumer regulations law and not provided satisfactory goods.

Just short and sweet really, if it fails tell him to try LGs.

Wonder if richer sounds 6y warranty will cover screen burn?

Thanks Arthur. I will indeed try this tack. Other than a broad sweeping statement and quoting the latest/retrospective guidance from LG they have offered no evidence for misuse. Quite frankly I find the response and blame attached quite rude!

I had a missed call from John Lewis yesterday. I had a washing machine delivered an hour before so was not certain what the call was about. After chatting to the customer support chap it turned out that it was the machine delivery that was being queried. I spoke to him about the TV and he was aghast at the verbal response that I got the other day. He strongly suggested that I ask for the call to be reviewed by a senior manager.

Lenlec, I spoke to Richer Sounds the other day about the warranty on the LG CX sets. Screen burn is not covered! From what I have read they are better at dealing with the issue if it does arise. JL now offer an insurance cover for screen burn at £140.

Hi Matt
    In response to RS they do not cover Screen burn , but your contract is with them ( you gave them the money)
    You should get a set to use while they / them repair yours

I called John Lewis back yesterday morning. The person that picked up the phone was the same one that was given the party line to trot out to me. I said that I would like a manager to review our previous call and the subsequent email I received. I was expecting a battle.

I was put on hold for ten minutes then put through to the manager. He had already organised a conference call with an LG manager. The outcome was that it sounded like a common fault but that would need to be evidenced to LG with photos from me. It was agreed that if it was indeed the fault that was suspected then JL would reimburse me the cost of the fix. Reading around beforehand I saw that this is common practice.

I sent pictures of the problem to LG. They also wanted pictures of the serial number and the telly showing a normal programme. I received a message back an hour ago asking me to call LG. I am now on a one week waiting list to arrange a pick up time for the set. The turnaround time is circa fourteen days. The cost of repair ,to be reimbursed by JL, is £250.

The person on the phone said the fault is called ‘Green Haze’. A quick google says that this is caused by the set overheating. Other results suggest that this may be part of a bigger problem. Looking online it seems likely that I have a combination of Screen Burn and Green Haze.

So it looks like it is all going to work out ok. Thanks for all of the advice given.

It does seem to me that JL sent out their contractor just so that JL could fob me off. I presented no new evidence but they completely changed their stance when I chose to escalate....

Btw I put B6 in my original title. It is actually a B7. Which I did actually know beforehand, but my brain chose to edit that for some reason!

Hi Matt
    Sounds like a result at last... please keep us updated with how it all goes....

Cheers

The cost of repair ,to be reimbursed by JL, is £250.

Presumably JL are then reimbursed by LG?
    Last edited by Justin Case; 25th February 2021 at 18:34.

Craftsman
    I’ve got an E7 with the same issue, sadly it seems to have been made significantly worse since performing the pixel refresh function. I’ve got logos from multiple channels and a ‘ticker’ across the bottom of the screen.

Cheers
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I’ve got an E7 with the same issue, sadly it seems to have been made significantly worse since performing the pixel refresh function. I’ve got logos from multiple channels and a ‘ticker’ across the bottom of the screen.

Cheers
    Rory

I definitely think ‘pixel refresh’ made mine worse.

The artefacts you describe sound like the same kind I have.

Master
    Not what I wanted to hear! My warranty is with Domestic and General and they are sending someone out from Northern Traders (Leeds) Ltd ....

Fingers crossed I don't get a bodge repair job offered.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not what I wanted to hear! My warranty is with Domestic and General and they are sending someone out from Northern Traders (Leeds) Ltd ....

Fingers crossed I don't get a bodge repair job offered.
    How did you get on?

My TV came back from LG after two weeks. They replaced the screen and the power supply. Apparently its the power supply overheating that exacerbates the burn in and causes the green haze.

I called John Lewis this morning, sent them the LG invoice, and have just received an email to call them back to get the £250 reimbursed.

It’s so nice to have the big screen back in place and have a crystal clear and unblemished picture again! 😎

A big ‘Thank You’ to Arthurdaley for his very helpful information! 👍

Master
    Sorry, didn't see this until now.

They picked up the TV on 24th March and rang the next day to confirm that it needed a replacement panel which they were ordering. They sounded quite positive about it arriving promptly.

I chased last week as I'd heard nothing. Seemed part hadn't arrived despite being "due" on 5th April (Bank Holiday!). They said they would contact me when it was ready to arrange delivery - so obviously weren't going to commit any further than that.

I've got used to the smaller screen of the old LCD I borrowed but I think I do notice the lack of definition.

Interested to see yours had a new power supply. Think my E7 is basically the same as your B7 so wonder if the power supply is part of a "proper" repair?? Think my warranty is only 5 years so 18 months to go., Don't want the problem coming back out of warranty.

How did you get on?

My TV came back from LG after two weeks. They replaced the screen and the power supply. Apparently its the power supply overheating that exacerbates the burn in and causes the green haze.

I called John Lewis this morning, sent them the LG invoice, and have just received an email to call them back to get the £250 reimbursed.

It’s so nice to have the big screen back in place and have a crystal clear and unblemished picture again! 

A big ‘Thank You’ to Arthurdaley for his very helpful information! 

Master
    Got my LG back yesterday. Took longer than I’d hoped but no quibble from the insurer.

Not sure if the PSU was included but a new panel which the delivery bloke said would be thick end of £1,000. He said they are doing 3 or 4 a week.

Moral is don’t buy a pricey TV without a long warranty!