closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko 2021 releases

Grand Seiko 2021 releases

The new high beat movement was released recently in the steel SLGH003 model for the 60th anniversary of Grand Seiko. I have seen leaked pics of things to come and a non limited snowflake like SLGH005 is due in March and a limited edition SLGA007 with the new spring drive movement. It seems more models will be using this new case shape and bracelet going forward. I hope they release a Quartz version with this case and bracelet as the prices of these new models will be quite high (8-9k).

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I am really quite excited by these leaks. To me the SLGH003 was by far and away the best watch release of 2020. It was the first GS I have considered buying but, as beautiful as it undoubtedly is, I didn’t want another blue dialled watch. Assuming that the SLGH005 has the 9SA5 movement, I’ll be all over it like a badly fitting suit. Love it already 🥳

What’s changed? No gauge on the dial. Cases any slimmer?

The blue dial looks like it will be amazing.

There was a Spring Drive version of the SLGH003 for the 60th anniversary, but they cancelled it due to incapacity to produce the LE pieces before December 2020.

Doubt this case will trickle down to 9Fs though. Most probably reserved for new hi beat and 5 days SD models.

Journeyman
    Not a fan of the handset or indices.

Master
    It may be the new flush fitting clasp driving this design. It appears to result in a wider bracelet, leading to a chunkier case, following through all the way to wide indices and hands. No bad thing, it looks good in white. I wonder if they’ll be able to create a flush clasp for their other models with narrower bracelets?

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    What’s changed? No gauge on the dial. Cases any slimmer?

The blue dial looks like it will be amazing.
    Cases is thinner, approx 11.5mm now instead of the usual 12.5-13.0mm on a lot of the current models with the older movements. The lugs width is wider at 22mm and the bracelet is wider and more substantial. Case has a much more brushed finish and chunkier/sportier hands and indices.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    There was a Spring Drive version of the SLGH003 for the 60th anniversary, but they cancelled it due to incapacity to produce the LE pieces before December 2020.

Doubt this case will trickle down to 9Fs though. Most probably reserved for new hi beat and 5 days SD models.
    I agree it will be reserved for the high en stuff, shame though, as I would jump on a 9F movement with this case and bracelet.

Master
    Love that SLGH005.
    List price 9,100 Usd.
    Any guesses on what it will be available for in UK?

The hour hand and indices- especially the 12 o'clock one- aren't very elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    The hour hand and indices- especially the 12 o'clock one- aren't very elegant.
    I'm a huge GS fan but would agree with you.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't like the truncated hour hand at all. Otherwise, very nice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the 005, the movement is well decorated too.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    Cases is thinner, approx 11.5mm now instead of the usual 12.5-13.0mm on a lot of the current models with the older movements. The lugs width is wider at 22mm and the bracelet is wider and more substantial. Case has a much more brushed finish and chunkier/sportier hands and indices.

Thanks. The slimming down should help for the dressier image. Not sure about the hour hand and 12 hour marker, almost expect a Big Ben sound when it strikes. Could catch on though!

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Love that SLGH005.
    List price 9,100 Usd.
    Any guesses on what it will be available for in UK?
    James Porter's Instagram account has posted that UK RRP will be £8500

Master
    Some better pictures, along with a load of complete and utter guff here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/gran...te-birch-dial/

Master
    Seems odd to me that they've not incorporated lume given the overall design changes towards a slightly more sporty watch

Master
    Personally, I’d like to see Grand Seiko calm down a bit; it’s hard to keep up with the endless flow of new models, most of which will be quickly forgotten. A more stable, thoughtful, range could work well for them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Ouch!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Personally, I’d like to see Grand Seiko calm down a bit; it’s hard to keep up with the endless flow of new models, most of which will be quickly forgotten. A more stable, thoughtful, range could work well for them.
    Well said. If they want to keep themselves a separate, more upmarket brand from Seiko it would be wise not to flood the market with so many variations.

Agreed and the same could be said for Seiko, much as I like both brands. I thought this article on Fratello was pretty good, particularly the part about the explanations brands give for choosing a certain colour for a new model. Sometimes you can just choose a colour or dial texture because it looks good.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/wher...seiko-go-next/

Some balls to price above Rolex. You do get more watch for your money, but also less Veblen. Have they sorted out their bracelets for these ones?

I’m looking forward to see these new movements slip in to the dress range. The thickness is the only complaint I have with my SBGM221.

At the right prices (eg below not above Patek) these dress watches could be a strong contender in PM, unfortunately so far their pricing strategy in that space seem to only appeal to ultra wealthy domestic collectors.

Journeyman
    Nope, don’t like it at all. My initial reaction was centred on the indices and handset, but it gets worse the more I look at it. It’s just feels dated and overall clunky.

Love the 'White Birch' version

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    First dibs Ryan ;-))

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Craftsman
    Not that I'll likely ever justify the purchase of a GS but I really wish they'd offer more of these in a no-date version.
    The dials are amazing but I just can't get on board with the date on a watch where the dial is such a standout feature. I know they have started to offer a few more ranges with no-date but many have the power reserve or something else to complicate things and with these of all, there is no need (or put it at 6pm).

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Not that I'll likely ever justify the purchase of a GS but I really wish they'd offer more of these in a no-date version.
    The dials are amazing but I just can't get on board with the date on a watch where the dial is such a standout feature. I know they have started to offer a few more ranges with no-date but many have the power reserve or something else to complicate things and with these of all, there is no need (or put it at 6pm).
    Or at least stop putting those silly dots on the side of date window. Minute hand reaches chapter perfectly fine.

I do like it, but I just wouldn't be able to get on with a 22mm bracelet, it's certainly not elegant. Surely 20mm would be the better option on a watch like this?

Master
    Really like that white one. Beautiful dial

Sent from my SM-A405FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Good luck with that.
    The blue dial sold well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Or at least stop putting those silly dots on the side of date window. Minute hand reaches chapter perfectly fine.
    Yeah it's a bit odd. I think they have put a small applied silver indices on other models.. looks better than like this.

Yeah it's a bit odd. I think they have put a small applied silver indices on other models.. looks better than like this.
    No. This particular model has the case just right on size so the movement date is not too far in. No need for marking the three o’clock.

Spring Drive is the same case. Maybe movement size is slightly different, but no logic at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Well said. If they want to keep themselves a separate, more upmarket brand from Seiko it would be wise not to flood the market with so many variations.
    I take your point, but I’m happy to see them keep experimenting at speed until they have a selection of perfect watches - particularly as there’s been work to do on the thickness of the autos and on the clasps, and people seem to want more from the bracelets, comfortable as they are. I’m also happy to see interesting LEs and dials. For me they’re not done until they’ve released a hand wound self-dater that’s close to the original, it’s a watch that was perfect in its slim original version, while the 9F reissue wasn’t quite close enough. I’m surprised that they haven’t done it yet, they have the movement so I’m not sure what’s stopping them.

Come to think of it there’s also room for an entirely different line of slimmer, less clunky divers and chronographs too, so it’s way too soon for them to settle down.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 12th February 2021 at 23:23.

That is lovely. The brushed face of the bezel suits it well and the fat hands are growing on me too.

Definitely agree regarding the date - I think their date windows tend to be very clumsy, plus more often than not they commit the cardinal sin of a contrasting date wheel - some more no date options would be great.

Craftsman
    From the Fratello article....

"And when it comes to Grand Seiko, please please make a 40mm thin automatic diver that kicks the tar out of Rolex once and for all"

Yes please :0)

Master
    I did this mock-up of my SBGA415 a while back as I was wondering what it would look like without the PR and date window. I prefer it best without both, but if I could only get rid of one it would be the date over the PR.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Definitely agree regarding the date - I think their date windows tend to be very clumsy, plus more often than not they commit the cardinal sin of a contrasting date wheel - some more no date options would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I did this mock-up of my SBGA415 a while back as I was wondering what it would look like without the PR and date window. I prefer it best without both, but if I could only get rid of one it would be the date over the PR.

That does look good - I really don’t object to the power reserve - tends to be on the dial so not cut in or heavily bordered or contrasting, however without either looks excellent. I do like a pr as a complication so if I could have that on the back would be perfect!

Master
    Thanks for sharing that. I actually don’t mind the power reserve too much, but must say the watch does look reallly nice as ‘clean’ option, with no date or PR. I’d love to see the snowflake sold like that.

Craftsman
    White birch is an absolute stunner!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

That 415 is stunning.

Craftsman

Nice mockup. Looks excellent without either.
    I don't object to date windows and like them on some watches when integrated to add interest but on GS they all look a bit samey with the silver framed window - they are so inventive with their dials & movements it feels a bit odd they don't do something similar with the indices or date.
    Some of the recent models have really started to offer variety though so I think it'll happen.
    Last edited by Kamakazie!; 14th February 2021 at 22:24.

I think that is a nice step towards more sporty designs with "snowflake-esque" dials, and an amazing movement, but it seems it is just stuck a bit too much between dressy and sporty.

I wish they went for actual applied indices with plenty of lume, and for the hands as well. So you would get an amazing gs finishing on the "frame" of the hands and indices, and an amazing dial, but with actual lume to make it a nice all rounder

Master

Bit of a “ gushing” review here, over at Bark and Jack.

https://youtu.be/AizAC-qBg28

80 hour power reserve , departure from Titanium case, dropping the quartz time regulation, losing the PR. Looks like Seiko have given this model a serious look. Lastly who would have thought a dial design and texture could out snowflake a snowflake?

Steve

Journeyman
    That video really does make the white birch look absolutely stunning

The bracelet not tapering really makes it clunky. Disappointing for such as elegant dial

There is a lot to like about the Silver Birch, although I think both the indices and the hour hand are heavy handed. I think I’d still take the Snowflake despite its less elegant shape and the PR indicator

Dave

The Silver Birch is simply stunning. I think Seiko have nailed this one. Not cheap of course.

Are there any owners of the White Birch on the forum? I'd be interested to hear your feedback if so. The dial is an obvious highlight but I do like the new case shape too. How is the bracelet in person? Is it too wide and without much of a taper, a bit mismatched to the overall feel of the watch? I still haven't seen one in person and there are no GS ADs close to me unfortunately.

Let this be in titanium please!