closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What is the current value of a Rolex Daytona?

Master
    Blog Entries

What is the current value of a Rolex Daytona?

I know this is the sort of thread that people hate and get annoyed at but genuinely could do with a steer. I am in the market for a Rolex Daytona and I'm not going to kid myself that I would ever get one from an AD.

I want to understand the idea of the going rate for them. There isn't much information available in terms of past sales on ebay in the UK. Not much on here.

Wondered if anyone had offered one in to a dealers and what they got offered.

My first choice would be either of the ceramic steels but interested in if other models are better options.

Cheers

James

Look at past sales on here would think 18k used if your lucky. White one seems to be more expensive and sort after

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by bokbok; 11th February 2021 at 21:40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did. Wasnt much to go on.

I was recently offered £15k by the trade for my 2008 black dial. Not sure how this sits with you but I may be swayed if anyone’s interested..

Noticed not many and a while back,
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I did. Wasnt much to go on.

As new white 116500 seem to be around the £22k mark these days. Black dial slightly behind.....and yes, from what I’ve been told from several sources, they are selling at that.

Craftsman
    I was told a trade price is c £18k which add dealer margin seems about right

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    I was told a trade price is c £18k which add dealer margin seems about right
    I would say this sounds about right for the white with black around £16k to the trade.

Can't imagine Watchfinder are paying £22k for one to sell for a £950 profit.

Be interested if anyines had any quotes from watchfinder.

I have a friend who has a white ceramic daytona that he never wears. I'd make him an offer if I can figure out a fair price (above trade below retail)

I was offered £17k for my stickered black dial 116500 two days ago.

Ceramic dials on Chrono24 are priced around £20,000.

https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...S_MATERIAL_ID=

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrlx View Post
    I was offered £17k for my stickered black dial 116500 two days ago.
    Watchfinder?

Watchfinder?
    Yes. They offered £17 - £17250. I sold it locally for slightly more.

I sold a 2019 white dial 116500LN to a dealer for £19k about two or three months ago, so they then add their margin and it was listed for £22k
    Last edited by rsteenekamp; 12th February 2021 at 09:28.

Who is buying these at 22k?

Totally mad

I have kept a couple but have overtime fallen out of love with ceramic Daytona. It is a safe spend though.

Knowing that it was that valuable stopped me from enjoying it. It wouldn’t get worn just in case it got marked....so it had to go. Daytona’s are lovely but certainly not a £20k watch

- - - Updated - - -

Knowing that it was that valuable stopped me from enjoying it. It wouldn’t get worn just in case it got marked....so it had to go. Daytona’s are lovely but certainly not a £20k watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post

Totally mad
    Kind of agree with this...but what will happen when they update it? Inevitably in the next few years they will do something, increase it by 1mm or slight subdial colour alteration or another 'clever' idea.

Master

Totally mad
    Please explain why this is mad :

Like watch
    > pay market price, which has a fairly narrow cost / sell spread as it is a popularly traded model
    >> enjoy for as long as wish
    >>> get most of money back (at least), if decide to move it on.

Unless the purchase of most Breitlings, IWC, Cartier, JLC, Hublot etc is much madder, thus :

Like watch
    > pay market price, which typically involves wider spread
    >> enjoy for as long as wish / until being mistaken for effete European or drug dealer becomes boring / until quote for service and parts causes wife to demand holiday instead
    >>> take a pummelling when try to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Like watch
    > pay market price, which has a fairly narrow cost / sell spread as it is a popularly traded model

Unless the purchase of most Breitlings, IWC, Cartier, JLC, Hublot etc is much madder, thus :

Like watch
    > pay market price, which typically involves wider spread
    >> enjoy for as long as wish / until being mistaken for effete European or drug dealer becomes boring / until quote for service and parts causes wife to demand holiday instead
    >>> take a pummelling when try to sell.
    I agree entirely with this. And Daytona prices are only heading in one direction imho. Buy and enjoy!

What is the current value of a Rolex Daytona?

I bought a second hand 116520 and paid £6299 for it, which was a little over the new RRP. At the time I thought I was mad but I wanted one and I’’d never be able to get one at retail. I still have the watch and retail it’‘a circa £16k. It’’s been an astute purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I have kept a couple but have overtime fallen out of love with ceramic Daytona.
    Out of interest Rajen, why was this?

Totally mad
    Some people are, you don’t need to understand why.

Totally mad
    I thought the same but I don't ever see it being a £16k watch so I guess most of the money is safe in one. I thought the people paying £40k were nuts but they're the ones laughing now.

Personally for £22k I would be getting the white gold Daytona on Oysterflex and asking politely to put my name down for a stainless steel model in due course. More spend than that required though, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I thought the same but I don't ever see it being a £16k watch so I guess most of the money is safe in one. I thought the people paying £40k were nuts but they're the ones laughing now.

Personally for £22k I would be getting the white gold Daytona on Oysterflex and asking politely to put my name down for a stainless steel model in due course. More spend than that required though, of course.
    Or the rosegold daytona chocolate dial on Oysterflex... against almost everything I usually like but for some reason I love the look of that

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if anyone is following this thread with interest but I just put a quote through on watchfinder £16,000 to £16,250 for a 116500LN full set.

This was for full set, unworn, no stickers.

Didn't let me put whether it was white or black.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 12th February 2021 at 23:39.

I do agree with your post, but some people would be comfortable with a £10,000 Rolex, but not a £20,000 one.

We all have a limit of where we would be comfortable spending on either a single watch or a whole collection.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got a good ribbing for paying 15k for a brand new stickered ceramic white one a few years ago. Was told the bubble was about to pop!!

That's why they not getting the watches offers are low, was that for white as well?
    I don't know if anyone is following this thread with interest but I just put a quote through on watchfinder £16,000 to £16,250 for a 116500LN full set.

This was for full set, unworn, no stickers.

Didn't let me put whether it was white or black.

Master

Like watch
    I remember you making this argument when these were at 15K .
    I didn't buy the argument at the time.
    Silly me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    That's why they not getting the watches offers are low, was that for white as well?

It didn't have an option to select colour, I double of put it in the free text but I just completed the drop down fields.

I put full set. Condition was unworn but without stickers. Age was 2 to 5 years.

That's the offer they come back with. Whether if someone turns up with the white they would increase their offer or decrease the offer if its black I don't know.

I would of thought a better business strategy would be offer the higher price of the two and explain they pay more for the white and offer less when a black dial arrives.

Anyway it gives me a bit of an idea and I guess if anyone else is looking. No point looking for one less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Out of interest Rajen, why was this?
    Tiny, shiny etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I got a good ribbing for paying 15k for a brand new stickered ceramic white one a few years ago. Was told the bubble was about to pop!!
    Yeh the bubble poppers are always around. Others know better.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agree with this but I was recently told by my AD that the 116519LN is the only oysterflex Daytona they cannot allocate without ‘some’ spend. Whereas with the yellow gold/rose gold ones it can be a first watch for someone without any prior purchases.

But yes at that price range I would go for the oysterflex. Have seen both watches and the oysterflex is so much nicer!

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Agree with this but I was recently told by my AD that the 116519LN is the only oysterflex Daytona they cannot allocate without ‘some’ spend. Whereas with the yellow gold/rose gold ones it can be a first watch for someone without any prior purchases.

But yes at that price range I would go for the oysterflex. Have seen both watches and the oysterflex is so much nicer!
    Yip - white gold daytona is not readily available anymore, so not a realistic alternative at all - I have been ‘on the list’ with WOS in Canary Wharf for a white gold 116519LN on oysterflex for over a year...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    Yip - white gold daytona is not readily available anymore, so not a realistic alternative at all - I have been ‘on the list’ with WOS in Canary Wharf for a white gold 116519LN on oysterflex for over a year...
    You might do better to find an independent dealer. They can have more motivation. Incidentally, while I like the Oysterflex (and wear one with a Yachtmaster), to me the Daytona feels and looks better with a solid bracelet. But of course it costs a lot more.....but believe me (or not) , it feels a lot more ‘special’. The heft on the wrist is somehow very pleasing.
    Even with gold, the Daytona, minus a bracelet,can feel a bit lightweight.
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th February 2021 at 10:40.

Watch finder are looking to make 5 grand from watches of this value from what I have experienced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    Was more or less told the same thing. A call would need to be made to Head Office, but he didnt say it wasnt possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Yeh the bubble poppers are always around. Others know better.
    Yup, those idiots are like an infamous ex-POTUS who said repeatedly that Covid will just go away. Of course it will and the bubble will probably deflate ( not pop) at some point but neither of the two is imminent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You might do better to find an independent dealer. They can have more motivation. Incidentally, while I like the Oysterflex (and wear one with a Yachtmaster), to me the Daytona feels and looks better with a solid bracelet. But of course it costs a lot more.....but believe me (or not) , it feels a lot more ‘special’. The heft on the wrist is somehow very pleasing.
    Even with gold, the Daytona, minus a bracelet,can feel a bit lightweight.
    Don't agree with that
    I tried the white gold blue face Daytona on the bracelet and yeh I was a bit surprised on the heft of it and it's a lovely watch but I think the oysterflex with the ceramic bezel felt more modern and sportier.
    The 116519LN is one of these allocation pieces with the "Bio" thing.

Journeyman
    I was told by local AD that the ‘notice of interest list’ for any Daytona was closed as they have way more interest than they have watches for the foreseeable. I wasn’t asking to get one- we were chatting about allocations of watches more generally.