closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch finder feedback

Apprentice

Watch finder feedback

I don’t know about others but I have been nervous of using sites like watchfinder in the past for fear of being mugged off on price and not being able to look at the watch directly before pulling the trigger but...

The whole experience was easy, great communication all round and didn’t feel I got done over on px value (outside of the expected knock you’d take for the ease of trading yours and straight away getting the one you want).

The value I was offered was decent, they posted next day the packaging with padding, instructions, DHL labels to arrange collection from your house when you’re ready.
    When the watch was sent back I got acknowledgement they had it and told it would be being checked, this took about 2 days, and final offer emailed over (top end of their original estimate).
    Then, they call to check what day you will be in so you don’t miss the postie, let you know it’s on it’s way with a tracking number and bobs your uncle the new one arrives very well packed the next day.

So, if there are any others out there feeling nervy about using them I’d say, based solely on my own recent experience, it’s a professional set up that gives you confidence in it from start to stop.

Bonus is the watch I received today was so in touched it still had the protective film all over the clasp.

Now to sit and find reasons to check the time far more than necessary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve just sent one to them,and awaiting the final price,although I did have an email asking for the receipt which I’d already told them I never had .
    We’ll wait and see what they come back with.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't know if you paid a premium for the Explorer but it is not a difficult watch to get from an AD,
    I can see the attraction if you wanted it now and the trade in made it a much simpler thing if you needed that sale to help finance the purchase.

Good to hear that process was simple and reliable.

Traded a fair few with them in the past.

Recently, however, their trade in prices are quite rubbish....they keep asking for receipts etc (Ive never had an original receipt! from any watch Ive had from them?!)....Also, Ive never had any watch sent out quickly..(when doing a trade in that is.) They usually take a few days or up to a week sometimes! to "inspect" the watch Ive sent them.

The last 2 trades Ive done, have been with Watches.co.uk for a sub, and with Parkers, for a Monaco.

Both, were far quicker, and gave better prices for trades .They may well have lots more watches, than others...to me it doesnt make them the best though!

What brand watch did you trade for the Explorer?
    It's just a matter of time...

I think they’re giving better values on the richmont brands as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I sold them a Panerai last week using their insured courier service.
    This was the first watch I’d sold to them and it was picked up after sending me their pack.
    It was easy and hassle free and I was happy with the price they offered, the money was in my account within two days.
    When I get round to eventually selling my Rolex watches I’ll be using them again.

Similar experience for me and for the same watch, I got a freshly Rolex serviced Explorer from them last year and traded in an OP. Worked well and they were professional throughout.

I’m actually currently considering a healthy offer on my 14060M after a bit of a speculative enquiry. It seems they’re willing to offer decent rates on the right watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    When I get round to eventually selling my Rolex watches I’ll be using them again.
    Is that because you would achieve better results than on the forum or is it because the sale is simple and 'once sold it is sold' ?

Craftsman
    What, if any is the risk selling to them. They pick it up I think now - is that process fool ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Is that because you would achieve better results than on the forum or is it because the sale is simple and 'once sold it is sold' ?
    I think I’d achieve the same price but without the hassle.
    I’m not brave enough to sell a Rolex here

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What brand watch did you trade for the Explorer?
    Sealed a JLC, while I did enjoy it Did have to go back a couple of times due to very slight knocks.
    It was a true second and came back with the second hand beating directly between markers which shows someone didn’t really care when putting it back together.

Fancied something I could wear all the time and not be worried of it’s fragility tbh

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    What, if any is the risk selling to them. They pick it up I think now - is that process fool ?
    They send you the packaging then arraofhl to collect, all insisted and tracked

I have bought about ten watches from watchfinder over the last two years and probably sold about 8 as well - obviously at a massive loss each time... their trade-in values fluctuate wildly and of course you also pay a premium for the convenience.

They used to be priced ok, but now that premium is getting too big and blowers or miltons are better....

But price aside (which you know up front), I only had one issue with WF that they resolved after a bit of a fuss - a 116710ln I bought had an aftermarket crystal on it, which I saw a few weeks after buying it, so I returned the watch for a refund... it did shake my confidence in them a bit tbh

Master
    Would anyone who has bought a watch from Watchfinder be willing to confirm how they were reassured it wasn't stolen, following the Nadeem Malik case?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Would anyone who has bought a watch from Watchfinder be willing to confirm how they were reassured it wasn't stolen, following the Nadeem Malik case?
    Can any dealer say with 100% certainty that they have never taken a stolen watch into stock and sold it on? Serious question, I'm not suggesting that reputable dealers would do it intentionally but stolen registers aren't totally reliable as I would guess that the vast majority of stolen watches are never recorded on them. How many luxury watches are out there without papers and how many owners of those watches maintain a list of serial numbers in case they need to report them stolen?
    Whatever has happened before I read an article fairly recently that suggests that Watchfinder now use The Watch Register, and they also request purchase receipts when buying in. Receipts can be easily faked but what else can they do?

Master
    With the amount of watches that they deal with, bound to to be a few that been stolen, Box and papers can only give you a certain level of assurance, how many loose watches are actually stolen? What level of due diligence can actually be carried out, they get offered a ten year old loose Omega Seamaster how many checks can they actually do?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Can any dealer say with 100% certainty...
    Of course not, but some dealers have always been or are less rigorous than others.

https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

This report says that over just a few years the convicted Malick had sold 535 watches "totalling £1.2 million" to BQW and Watchfinder of which 56 showed as stolen (we can but guess about the rest...) --- and for which he had been paid £180,000.

Don't think he was even registered for VAT !

So, who has those 535 watches now and with what claims to title from insurers / previous owners could any current "owner" yet be faced?

On the back of the Malik case and after discussion, I contacted Watchfinder about my 16710 which is bought in 2012/13.

They happily, did an Arts Loss Register search so I had confirmation that, five or six years after purchasing it, it wasn’t on the register.

From that I can fairly safely assume that my watch hasn’t been stolen.

When I bought my Explorer II from Haywood, he supplied a certificate as part of the sale.

I’m therefore confident that both my Rolex watches won’t appear on any register unless they are stolen from me.

Blog Entries
    Sold them a Planet Ocean 8500 XL last week. Was going to list it on here thinking it was worth about £2,600. Did a WF valuation online which came in at £2,400-2,600 (it was one owner from new full set with Omega UK service last year) so I knew I was about right. Had them chasing me the next day and when I mentioned what I was thinking of doing they upped their offer to a firm £2,800 and arranged free courier collection etc. Very smooth and got more than I thought I would.

You receive a letter of authenticity document from them with the model & serial number.

Watch finder feedback

My worry would be sending WF an expensive watch and them to have freedom with this for a period of time. What’s to stop WF switching it for another or some other deviousness, ignoring any courier issues (an additional hassle if it goes wrong).

Accept this is also an issue selling on SC, which you would choose carefully to minimise.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    You receive a letter of authenticity document from them with the model & serial number.

Being authentic and not being stolen are not the same thing though.

Master
    A letter of authenticity ? Might as well give Stevie Wonder a dart-board.

This also has no relevance to the question of a watch being stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    My worry would be sending WF an expensive watch and them to have freedom with this for a period of time. What’s to stop WF switching it for another or some other deviousness, ignoring any courier issues (an additional hassle if it goes wrong).

Accept this is also an issue selling on SC, which you would choose carefully to minimise.
    I don’t think they’d be the size they are or been in business as long as they have if that was their game.

A letter of authenticity ? Might as well give Stevie Wonder a dart-board.

This also has no relevance to the question of a watch being stolen.
    This is very true, it only gives me recourse in the event the watch turns out to be fake.
    One would assume given their past issues that they would be checking every watch against the lost/stolen registers. As a dealer do you receive any paperwork when checking serial numbers against the lost/stolen registers from the manufacturers?
    Watch finder asked for a copy of the original purchase receipt which in my case was from the local authorised AD, but the watch I received from them had no such provenance.
    I have bought a few watches on sc & only one of them came with an original purchase receipt.
    In the end you have to do your research & then decide whether to trust the sellers integrity & honesty when buying used.
    Take sc for example, where else would you send thousands of pounds to someone you don’t know based on a few photos & a brief description with the hope to receive a watch in return? You have to buy the seller, which is why our reputations are everything to us here.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This is very true, it only gives me recourse in the event the watch turns out to be fake.
    One would assume given their past issues that they would be checking every watch against the lost/stolen registers. As a dealer do you receive any paperwork when checking serial numbers against the lost/stolen registers from the manufacturers?
    There are apps like Chronofy which scan loads of insurance and loss/theft registers, easy to take and print a screen grab of the serial number response. Or theres the watch register where you can download the search results as a PDF and print.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Similar experience for me and for the same watch, I got a freshly Rolex serviced Explorer from them last year and traded in an OP. Worked well and they were professional throughout.

I’m actually currently considering a healthy offer on my 14060M after a bit of a speculative enquiry. It seems they’re willing to offer decent rates on the right watches.

Out of curiosity, how much did they offer?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don’t think they’d be the size they are or been in business as long as they have if that was their game.
    To be fair, that's been my concern with using them as well. Anyone heard of such instances?