closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any one been out for a run last few days ?

Any one been out for a run last few days ?

Hi all
    I love my running. Try and do 3or4 x 5mile a week. Nothing fast
    About 45mins
    Should of went out for one Tuesday but talked my self out of it cus of the
    Cold. Same again last night. And like all us runners it pi””es me off if I dont get out
    So deffo want to do a steady one tonight after work 6ish
    So you guys / gals been out in this cold spell ? Dangerous under foot?
    Andy

Not for me this week. I too have talked myself out of it due to the weather, I justified it by the fact that I'd be out longer if I pulled something through not warming up properly or slipped and injured an ankle.

I'll sit this week out and return once the snow / ice has abated

Master
    Friday, Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. Ranging from 5k-10k.

But we have no snow here.

No issues, but wore a light long sleeved top yesterday as it was -2

Not a run but I convinced myself to do one of my usual cycle blasts and wished I hadn’t. I felt like my face had been scarified and I had icicles in my lungs. It took an age to warm up when I got home. I’ll do it again at the weekend because I’m moderately mad and enjoy the challenge.

I stopped running because of snow and -10c temperature. This week I did three quick 5km walks because of I started to gain weight. Never thought I’d say that, but I miss running.

Master
    I go out for a weighted steady state run its cold but you warm up soon enough.

A knee broken skiing some years ago (and a lifelong general dislike for distance running, if I'm honest) means I don't run, but as I've worked from home for years now, I always try and get out for a walk every day, even if it's just a mile.

More usually I do 2 to 3 in my lunch break and I've been doing that in the last couple of days.

It has been cold, but once I get some pace up (moreso running) it's only really my fingers that have felt it.

Who wants to sit indoors all day? The rain sometimes keeps me in, but the cold never does.

In contrast to some, a bit of snow encourages me out - I love snow, but we rarely get any to speak off in Hampshire

M
    Last edited by snowman; 11th February 2021 at 15:46.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The cold doesn’t bother me and I have run in the snow but only because it started snowing halfway round. I’ve not been out since Sunday as the snow and ice is too sketchy!

Bit slippy but OK now. Also my running partner (my black lab Dylan) had hurt his leg. Ok now so will be ok for 5k at 430-500

I also ride and had a Wahoo Kickr delivered on Monday which is transformational !!!!!
    Last edited by P9MES; 11th February 2021 at 16:17.

Master
    Not running but a 7 miles walk ( because I cant go cycling) on roads and fields highlighted some nasty conditions underfoot. Whilst its not rained recently here in N.Wales the water table is still high. In the few cases where water has been running across the road its sheet ice. If you were running at night I doubt you would see it until you were on it.

Stay in , temps pick up on Sunday and enjoy the other 340 odd days of the year we can exercise safely outside.

Yep, been out every day this year except for Sundays which is my rest day. A couple of runs in the snow when I wear trail running shoes otherwise just in the cold or the rain.

If I don't feel like running I simply get dressed, put on my trainers and go, telling myself if I am not happy after ten minutes I'll turn around. I haven't turned around yet.

I find the anticipation of poor running conditions is worse than the running in poor conditions.

I've been out most days this week. The area I live in is very popular for runners and it's not unusual to cross 10 or so on a normal 10k run. I've noticed very few people out this week...I think the pavements have put them off.

I've just been running in my normal gear, there are occasional slippy patches but as long as you are constantly assessing the surface it hasn't been too bad. Given me an excuse not to worry too much about pace anyway. I find this type of cold not too bad...the air feels pretty dry (I think the temperature has been -2C when I was out but the dew point -7) which is much better than 2C but wet.

Craftsman
    The cold has been making me stay in. But I’ll try run later

I’ve run every morning, actually prefer running in the cold, denser air and all that. It’s rain with me, one spot and I stay in bed

I've been feeling unwell this week. It's just basic man flu i.e. a bit of snottiness but also very tired - last night I couldn't stay up past 9:30 (early for me) and slept for 10 hours (unheard of for me). So I've decided to 'listen to my body' and have a week off. Hopefully I'll get out for a plod at the weekend though and maybe even ride a mountain bike.

I did go out for a recce yesterday. There's a footpath across a very boggy field near me and I was hoping it might be frozen so I went out for a walk before work. Sadly it was frozen crust then straight through to bog so I'll have to wait 'til it gets even colder or for late Spring (which is when I can normally start running that route again).

I find as I get older I find more excuses not to go.
    But as always you feel 100 times better after the run than before you’ve left the house. I try to remember that feeling

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I've been feeling unwell this week. It's just basic man flu i.e. a bit of snottiness but also very tired - last night I couldn't stay up past 9:30 (early for me) and slept for 10 hours (unheard of for me). So I've decided to 'listen to my body' and have a week off. Hopefully I'll get out for a plod at the weekend though and maybe even ride a mountain bike.

I did go out for a recce yesterday. There's a footpath across a very boggy field near me and I was hoping it might be frozen so I went out for a walk before work. Sadly it was frozen crust then straight through to bog so I'll have to wait 'til it gets even colder or for late Spring (which is when I can normally start running that route again).
    There are a woods that I would run through if iced up but went for a recce in wellies last weekend to find it was just a mudbath...made much worse this year because of the sheer volume of weekend walkers...ankle deep mud in parts. I look forward to summer as those paths will open up a huge number of routes for me. I’ve seen a few runners unphased by it. I’m not too bothered once my shoes soak through, the sludgy feeling goes pretty quickly but I just can’t stand the effort of cleaning that kit afterwards.

just been for a quick (but slow) 5k. It wasnt that cold once warmed up and off came the hat and gloves. Prob due to no wind.

Master
    Someone has ........................
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56027141

Master
    I run every day - after RED (run every day) January, I topped out at 50 consecutive days running and 500 km in December and February.

Studded trail shoes to run in the snow and ice, and I tend to run round the park. Certainly don't want to run along icy pavements and slip on to a road. Wear a thermal vest, long running top, then a windproof top. Leggings, a snood, gloves and a beanie.

Normally I feel the cold but within half a mile tend to be comfortable.

I notice a lot of runners in shorts and t-shirts even down to near freezing temperatures. Makes me feel like a wimp when I'm in running tights, fleece top, running jacket and beanie! Then again, I prefer to dress whats more likely to get me out of the door rather than what is comfortable in the final mile.

Craftsman
    We've got a fair bit of snow in the North East at the moment so I'm using my Inov8 mud claws. They grip fine in the soft snow, just got to be careful where its compacted down and smooth. I'd rather it be cold and frosty than the wet weather we've had in previous weeks. My local routes through the fields have been virtually un runnable due to being so muddy, but they're frozen solid right now.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I’m on a Bootcamp and the non negotiable this week was 50km running on top of the daily exercises. I’m currently at 39km from Monday and it’s actually alright on the roads generally.

Just get out there, take it easy, no heroics. It’s beautiful with the crisp white snow and bluebird skies 👍🏻

I was out this morning - with these on my running shoes:

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Yep, but just going slower and shorter than normal. Have dropped my weekly mileage from 60 to 40k, and even that feels just as hard as during the summer. I find evening running - although absolute temps are slightly lower, the winds are also lower and air more still. Just makes it easier. I struggle the most with blood flow to my hands, so my long sleeve top has built in mittens which is a godsend.

Master
    I haven't been out for a couple of weeks due to the conditions being too slippy, bear in mind I was just trying to get a few k in as a start for my training for a duathlon I foolishly entered, being mainly a cyclist.

Happily, the duathlon has been postponed so I'm going to knock it on the head for now and get going again when the weather is a bit more pleasant.

I'm fit enough, just need to get the legs and body used to running again.

Did a ca. 5k with my eldest daughter (10) tonight. It was freezing cold but not slippy underfoot. It was so cold we had to run faster than normal to get warm! ⛄️ Great fun (and I hate running!)

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I find as I get older I find more excuses not to go.
    But as always you feel 100 times better after the run than before you’ve left the house. I try to remember that feeling
    I hate running. Every step feels rubbish.

The feeling afterwards is great!

Master
    I went out last night on the road. As it hasn't been wet in the last few days it was fine underfoot except one corner where there is always water from a spring nearby. Sure enough that was treacherous.
    I missed a couple of runs last time it was this cold a few weeks back, as it had rained a day or two before and then the surface was lethal. It's annoying to miss some but I'm too old to risk breaking anything, it's not like there is any sort of deadline or even events to go to.

Been out every day this week. Not sure why but the muddier, snowier, colder and icier the more I enjoy it. Feet feel a bit pummelled as my trail shoes offer little cushioning and the ground is frozen hard and jagged where the horses have been over the fields. But it’s great to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I hate running. Every step feels rubbish.

The feeling afterwards is great!
    Very true. The feeling Is fantastic
    Deffo going in the morning.
    Well fingers crossed

Master
    I'm an intermittent and fair weather runner, but I've been getting out 2-3 times per week. Usually short runs. I enjoyed crunching though the snow.

Gentle 10k jog on Sunday morning. No snow, but the cold wind was exhilerating. Haven't been inclined to brave another run this week, but spending plenty of time outdoors so feeling no guilt...

I've been out most days the last couple of weeks...I'm about a mile from the start of the West Highland Way so go some stunning scenery on my doorstep...like most I much prefer to be running on fresh snow for the traction and the conditions here have been great for that this week..had the odd icy day and had to be very careful with that and I can see a thaw on the forecast next week....slushy mucky conditions...booooo

Craftsman
    Hi,

I've been out on Tuesday, Wednesday and this lunchtime for a 4 mile run. However I live in London and the ice isn't staying on the pavements and the main paths in the local park have been gritted. So, I've still being going out because there's less chance of slipping, falling and breaking something. It's very cold, but if you wear enough layers, it's doable.

If there was ice underfoot, I wouldn't risk it. I've been avoiding places where I think there might be ice.

Run?

I've been out with Dot every day and you can barely stand up!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Last night was definitely harder...rather than an even coating of snow/frost, lots of pavements were dry but there would be significant patches of clear ice where snow had melted and refrozen. Had a few hairy moments but managed to get round safely. Thankfully only a couple more days of this for the time being although I will miss the dry air!

Master
    Did a sunset 10 today, and omg it was freezin. Minus-7c strong headwind the whole way. Couldn’t feel a thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haven't been out running for more than a week now, was out for a walk this morning and even that was rather cold... a bit embarrassing however as I used to live at places where winters are often - 20 to 30 degrees

Craftsman
    Planning a half marathon tomorrow in -6 but feels like -13, that will be fun

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Planning a half marathon tomorrow in -6 but feels like -13, that will be fun
    best of luck!