closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Fire stick?

Master

Which Fire stick?

Hi

Need to get a Fire Stick to get Disney + and Apple TV on an older screen.

Was just going to get the Lite version but the 4K version is now only a few £ more, but it is a few years older.

Not too fussed about TV control etc.

We would probably swop it between 2 screens - one is a 1080 HD screen and the other is a 4K screen. On the streaming services we have subscribed to we only have the normal options not the 4K ones.

Any thoughts or concerns experience?

Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hi

Was just going to get the Lite version but the 4K version is now only a few £ more, but it is a few years older.

We would probably swop it between 2 screens - one is a 1080 HD screen and the other is a 4K screen. On the streaming services we have subscribed to we only have the normal options not the 4K ones.

Thanks
    If you don't subscribe to the 4k options then there isn't much point going for a 4k capable device so get the cheapest one (or get 2, one for each tv). Just looked the difference is currently £2 - get the 4k version.

I'd normally suggest getting an Nvidia Shield TV but they are £100 more than the fire stick, £149 for the non pro version but worth it in my opinion, I've had one for years and it gets updated every 8 months or so and keeps working. The firestick my son had gave up the ghost years ago but in your situation where you are moving it about the firestick is probably the way to go (and we did find taking the firestick on holiday was good, which would be a pain with the shield).

Craftsman
    Good comparison review in Computeractive magazine last November if you have it on Readly/Pressreader etc.

Amazon/Apple/Roku all serve Disney & Apple TV. The review favoured the Firestick Lite or Roku Streaming Stick+ depending your needs. According to the table, they both have the services you need.

Master
    Check that the version you buy will allow access to the services you want.

For instance I have an older fire tv that will allow Disney + but not Apple TV or nowtv.
    The coverage of nowtv looks spotty less so with Apple

Master
    Thanks. When we first had Disney + we had the 4K option as it was free. Now that we’re paying for it I’m not sure if we still get that. One of the screens will accept a 4K signal.

I liked the 4K version of the stick as it would mean that we could take advantage of the 4K resolution if we decided to upgrade the service or bought a new screen.

Is there much or any difference between the older 4K stick the Lite version?

Cheers

4k definitely. One its a faster stick. I've various generations through the house and buy when amazon have their deals

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Is there much or any difference between the older 4K stick the Lite version?Cheers
    The remote on the Lite version doesn't have power & volume control buttons & the device only decodes stereo & not Dolby (although you TV nay handle those).

https://www.aftvnews.com/comparing-f...-device-specs/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    The remote on the Lite version doesn't have power & volume control buttons & the device only decodes stereo & not Dolby (although you TV nay handle those).

https://www.aftvnews.com/comparing-f...-device-specs/
    It would be connected to the AV receiver as another HDMI input on the main screen and just into the screen itself on the other screen - the second screen has a simple soundbar attached to it.

Craftsman
    Surely with all new TVs being smart why do you need a firestick unless you are using IPTV

Master
    4k stick all day. Much better/faster than the standard stick. Ive upgraded mine to the 4k version even on non 4k TVs as its so much quicker.

Ive heard good things about google TV but its more expensive. I've got Nvidia Shield on my main TV and have been very happy with it but appreciate its more money than you need to spend. 4K fire stick is the sweet spot on price/performance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    Surely with all new TVs being smart why do you need a firestick unless you are using IPTV
    Because not all TVs have apps for all streaming services. Some will have Netflix but not Prime. Some will have Disney+ but not Apple TV.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    4k definitely. One its a faster stick. I've various generations through the house and buy when amazon have their deals

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    4K I think is faster

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    OP has quoted ‘older screen’
    My 50” viera is fab but has no ‘apps’

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    OP has quoted ‘older screen’
    My 50” viera is fab but has no ‘apps’
    Very similar - our main screen is a Pioneer plasma which has zero apps. The apps for that screen are supplied via the Virgin box which doesn’t have Disney or Apple.

Craftsman
    aha ok. Sky now has netflix and prime which is great. When they show the PL on Prime go through Sky as its seems to work much better if you have Sky.

Master
    Thanks all.
    4K stick ordered. Looking forward to trying it out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Thanks. Exactly what I ordered. Seemed like a worthwhile upgrade from the Lite version for only £5 more.

Master
    Thanks all.
    4K stick ordered. Looking forward to trying it out.
    I hope you got the reduced price; they are £34.99 today.

They were the same price yesterday. I picked one up for the gym so we can cast our Peloton bike to the TV in there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    They were the same price yesterday. I picked one up for the gym so we can cast our Peloton bike to the TV in there.
    Yep £34.99. Thanks for the advice on which one to go for. It’s already arrived so will be setting it up later on.

Craftsman
    If you buy a stick ,do you need an aerial ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

No. It’s streaming so uses your WiFi and internet.

Craftsman
    I should have asked , can one get all the programs that come from an aerial . My bedroom smart tv can’t get all the programs my lounge smart tv connected to an aerial can .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Arrived and all plugged in.

Got the apps I wanted loaded and set-up. Disney quality seems very good on the 1080p screen. More blu ray like than I expected.

It’s playing havoc with my AV set-up though. Bloody thing wants to control everything and I foolishly let it. Now I can’t control the volume or switch things off properly as the Harmony remote doesn’t seem to work like it used to. We have all the equipment inside a cupboard with an IR repeater (or is it RF?) to control things via a Logitech Harmony control.

Will be removing the equipment control from the Fire Stick! Wish me luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    I should have asked , can one get all the programs that come from an aerial . My bedroom smart tv can’t get all the programs my lounge smart tv connected to an aerial can.
    No, there are more channels on Freeview although some of them such as BBC & ITV are available via iPlayer & catchup services.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    I should have asked , can one get all the programs that come from an aerial . My bedroom smart tv can’t get all the programs my lounge smart tv connected to an aerial can .
    Here's a list of the apps you can get for Firestick. The main thing that's lacking is live TV.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire...ode=5862531031

Craftsman
    Hi

Thanks
    After reading lots of reviews I finally opted for the 4K version. It took a while to set up and you need to load a lot of the apps from other devices but since then touch wood its been working absolutely fine so would definitely recommend.