closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Purchasing from France now - issues?

Purchasing from France now - issues?

Just having a look around on ebay and I've spotted something I like from France. Price is around £300 plus £15 postage.

Anyone got any idea what kind of extra duty, costs etc I could now expect on top of that? Or had recent post-Brexit experience?

The difference could turn it from good value to poor value - ie I won't buy it if the costs are silly.

Thanks,
    TFB
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Should be around 20% plus a handling fee, so maybe £70 on top

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I believe on that value you will pay 2.5% import plus 20% VAT on (price+postage+import fee)....so £72

Good value is oh so yesterday.

Master
    If brand new, shouldn't French VAT be subtracted?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps,

I think that seals it - at around £300 I'd buy it, but not at £370.

The difference takes it from fair value to poor value.

Shame, I used to like buying stuff from Europe. Guess I won't be doing much of that anymore.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, it was a meteorite. I have a few and pick the odd one up from time to time.

Correct if it were brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Thanks chaps,

Shame, I used to like buying stuff from Europe. Guess I won't be doing much of that anymore.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, it was a meteorite. I have a few and pick the odd one up from time to time.
    Like you we've bought stuff from all corners of Europe in the past, until things settle down (if they ever do) it's doubtful we'll be doing much more going forward. I'm at a loss to know what's changed?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Like you we've bought stuff from all corners of Europe in the past, until things settle down (if they ever do) it's doubtful we'll be doing much more going forward. I'm at a loss to know what's changed?
    I saw someone on a Trustpilot survey criticise an EU seller for the tax with "but Brexit should make no difference, we have a free trade agreement" the person thinking that 'free trade' means no import tax.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It sure how the import duties are being levied at the moment tbh. For instance,my son ordered a metal picture thing from a company in Poland which was delivered by UPS but without any fees. I was expecting the import & VAT to be charged but no.
    Might be a bit hit and miss as to whether you get charged.

They aren’t import duties. It’s VAT which we have always paid, but sometimes now people are paying twice.

If the seller registers as an importer then there is nothing extra for the customer to pay. If they don’t (small business/can’t be bothered/private sale) then the VAT is levied on entry. Which is a real pain for direct private sales of watches but maybe an opportunity for UK watch dealers.

Funnily enough I thought TFB had a passing acquaintance with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post

I reckon so if the item is new, the seller is a VAT registered business and not a private individual and the advertised price includes TVA.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ve noticed recently at work (RM) there are very very few customs charges arriving like nearly none
    Either they are caught up in the system, it’s paid in advance or it’s not being levied

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    They aren’t import duties.
    That depends on the rules of origin. Milky Way 0%, Andromeda 12%.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I reckon so if the item is new, the seller is a VAT registered business and not a private individual and the advertised price includes TVA.

Does it matter if new or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Does it matter if new or not?
    I’m not dead sure, my assumption is that if it was a business selling secondhand goods and they operate the margin scheme, my experience to date is that they won’t reveal the margin VAT and knock it off.

A business, selling new goods, they will knock off the national VAT for export out of the EU.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    It sure how the import duties are being levied at the moment tbh. For instance,my son ordered a metal picture thing from a company in Poland which was delivered by UPS but without any fees. I was expecting the import & VAT to be charged but no.

I don’t think you pay any duties on import under £125 or there abouts

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I don’t think you pay any duties on import under £125 or there abouts
    There will still be VAT to pay.

I read somewhere that the new VAT processes can't/won't accommodate the margin scheme for second hand stuff. I may be wrong, I've spent far too much time reading up about it. But as you say, businesses I am buying from as a consumer are knocking of the EU/national VAT and adding on UK VAT so it works seamlessly from my PoV.

Good point about the rules of origin. Will Seiko watches be treated differently to Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I’m not dead sure, my assumption is that if it was a business selling secondhand goods and they operate the margin scheme, my experience to date is that they won’t reveal the margin VAT and knock it off.

A business, selling new goods, they will knock off the national VAT for export out of the EU.

I believe on that value you will pay 2.5% import plus 20% VAT on (price+postage+import fee)....so £72
    What do you think the 2.5% is? Surely no duty is payable, just VAT. On the other hand there’s likely to be a “handling charge”, which I would expect to be a fixed fee, not ad valorem.

I read somewhere that the new VAT processes can't/won't accommodate the margin scheme for second hand stuff. I may be wrong, I've spent far too much time reading up about it. But as you say, businesses I am buying from as a consumer are knocking of the EU/national VAT and adding on UK VAT so it works seamlessly from my PoV.

Good point about the rules of origin. Will Seiko watches be treated differently to Rolex?
    Well read on VAT!!!

Yes, I'm not really sure about the business secondhand margin scheme, whether it's scrapped/current, pan-national/or up to individual countries to decide whether to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    2.5% is the standard rate import duty. Is it nil on meteorites?
    Is import duty payable in EU to UK imports?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Sorry, deleted my post as probably wrong about 2.5% as many goods 0% but not sure what you mean here. Surely UK import duty will be paid here?

HMRC is in disary as they can't cope and are letting stuff through. Have admitted expect to lose 1bn this year in uncollected VAT & duty so yes it is pretty hit & miss but surprised UPS let it through. FedEx have been known to bill later so he may still get a bill.

If the goods are of "preferential origin" (ie made in UK/EU) not duty, otherwise they follow the commodity code of the item which drives the duty.

Real example we import a moulded protective case from the US and pay VAT plus 2% import duty on entry to the UK. When we export it to the UK the customer has to pay the same 2% duty as it is the same case as before. If we had imported steel and exported the steel as pokers I believe they would be UK pokers and so no import duty into the UK.

This is the worry of the car industry when parts made in China or Turkey can cross the channel several times before it reaches the consumer.

What do you think the 2.5% is? Surely no duty is payable, just VAT. On the other hand there’s likely to be a “handling charge”, which I would expect to be a fixed fee, not ad valorem.
    Handling charge is 2.5% (minimum of 12.00 Euro) this is 2.5% of the VAT so about 0.5% on the price. Based on TNT's rates to us, hence we are trying to use freight forwarders with our large EU customers who do charge closer to a fixed fee or per pallet.

Master
    I bought some bike parts from France last week £170. When I went to the checkout, the VAT was deducted from the French price.

Parts were delivered by DHL (or Drop it Hide it Lose it) as I prefer to call them. No extra charges to date.

They aren’t import duties. It’s VAT which we have always paid, but sometimes now people are paying twice.

If the seller registers as an importer then there is nothing extra for the customer to pay. If they don’t (small business/can’t be bothered/private sale) then the VAT is levied on entry. Which is a real pain for direct private sales of watches but maybe an opportunity for UK watch dealers.

I'm not particularly sure why you would think that - I am a private citizen with no experience of importing and exporting beyond ebay.

What seems pretty clear from this thread is that the situation for many is clear as mud.

Seems to be a thread about it every other day too.

Master
    Got some relay router from ubitiqui in Prague. DHL clowns at the best of times not even bothered to inform me there’s £159 to pay. Absolute joke. Will never ever ever buy anything from overseas again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not particularly sure why you would think that - I am a private citizen with no experience of importing and exporting beyond ebay.

What seems pretty clear from this thread is that the situation for many is clear as mud.
    I also thought that you'd be aware of the 'Third Country/State' implications for private individuals, particularly since you've made almost 2000 posts in the most current 'Brexit' thread. It never crossed your mind that this would impact on you personally?
    ______

​Jim.

I had some Salomon boots delivered from France today. Arrived a day early and no problem with customs, VAT was charged by the company.

Master
    Thanks chaps,

You could probably sell it on to Omega at a profit so they can make "another" special edition of a watch they've already turned out ten million of. :0)