closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with all the pop ups

What's with all the pop ups

Is anyone else getting loads of pop ups, as soon as I close one, another pops straight up, it is getting really annoying.

Master
    It’s not us, it’s you. You are infected. Run your scanner, anti malware etc. Disable/remove browser extensions.

Its only happening on TZ

Capture by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

Master
    Yup getting the same.

im using ublock origin on firefox and the only ad i ever see is the donation banner.

What's with all the pop ups

Same for me, I was getting constant pop-ups yesterday on Safari. Extremely annoying. Tapatalk fine on the phone.

Yep, really bad on Chrome as well.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I’ve not had pop-ups on iOS but think I’m running a blocker. One thing I’ve noticed over the last few days is, at times, the forum is really slow...pages either taking ages to load or just freezing. Not sure if it’s connected.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I’ve not had pop-ups on iOS but think I’m running a blocker. One thing I’ve noticed over the last few days is, at times, the forum is really slow...pages either taking ages to load or just freezing. Not sure if it’s connected.
    Same here, with occasional ‘database error’ messages. Never had a problem before until yesterday, and on my iPad (seems ok on work PC)

Master
    I'm getting this too on chrome, it always appears in front on whatever you are trying to type, so annoying.

Blog Entries
    Don't get them on Safari with IOS Big Sur. Must be in the settings somewhere I presume which stops them. See the other ads of course.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Agree on Big Sur, sure this has ad blocker as standard. I had to uninstall though, made my 2015 Pro run like a dog.

I'm using Opera on my phone with ad-blocker.

No pop-ups but have also noticed the site being very slow to load over the last few days.

Same here on safari on my MacBook and iMac.

The banner across the bottom of the page is annoying enough, having to click the X to get rid of it on every single page you visit, but the pop up video that takes up 1/6th of the screen is beyond a joke!!

Master
    Same here on Safari on iPad and using Adblocker. only happens on this forum

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Same here on Safari on iPad and using Adblocker. only happens on this forum
    You have will to live with the fact that TZ-UK is always over run with ads much more than many other sites in order to bring in revenue. I run an ad blocker on this pc and have no ads whatsoever but the forum loses out on revenue. On my laptop where there is no ad blocker, running TZ-UK is a nightmare due the the fact that half of my 13" screen is obliterated with the same, totally irrelevant ads and pop ups.

Sites like this have a simple choice, if they bombard us with ads and pop ups, a lot of us will go down the ad blocker route, if the level of ads is reasonable, we will tolerate them. This is down to the site owner.

I have been getting them on the IPhone, sometimes covering half of the screen, a real pain if trying to type

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You have will to live with the fact that TZ-UK is always over run with ads much more than many other sites in order to bring in revenue. I run an ad blocker on this pc and have no ads whatsoever but the forum loses out on revenue. On my laptop where there is no ad blocker, running TZ-UK is a nightmare due the the fact that half of my 13" screen is obliterated with the same, totally irrelevant ads and pop ups.

Sites like this have a simple choice, if they bombard us with ads and pop ups, a lot of us will go down the ad blocker route, if the level of ads is reasonable, we will tolerate them. This is down to the site owner.
    Surely the site owner only gets paid if you click on them?

Master
    Using Firefox with adblocker and showing blocking 14 ads on this one page.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Surely the site owner only gets paid if you click on them?
    I don't really know the answer to that one but all I do known is that if this site keeps bombarding 50% of my screen then I will install an ad blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Does blocking ads actually decrease revenue for TZ, or does it merely not generate increased sales for the <advertising> company?

Is there a difference between me 'blocking' gambling sites, and simply having no interest in them?

(To be honest - I don't see gambling sites being of too much interest on a watch forum?)

Use Brave Browser, blocks all pop up automatically and you are not tracked online either so Google et all don't know what you had for breakfast.

Master
    Brave Browser here as well on my Galaxy Note 9. No pop ups and no slowdown of site.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    im using ublock origin on firefox and the only ad i ever see is the donation banner.
    I’m with pugster but in chrome. In iOS use 1Blocker. I had no idea it was a site specific issue. Pop ups and unders are a complete no no in my opinion. I can’t understand anyone who decides they’re a good idea?

afaik they are used as a revenue source, however there is a very fine line between attracting people to your site and driving them away.
    personally i cant stand the things which is why i have everything blocked except the donation banner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    afaik they are used as a revenue source, however there is a very fine line between attracting people to your site and driving them away.
    personally i cant stand the things which is why i have everything blocked except the donation banner.
    If they want a revenue stream just have a yearly £10 membership, Cliosport has this model & no pop ups seems to do very well from it.

Is anything being done about the current situation?

It’s beyond unreasonable on the advert provider’s part.

The page is almost unreadable, certainly with any level of enjoyment remaining.

I mean, look at this screen shot I just took of my current page view on my MacBook. It’s awful.

Couldn't an affiliate Amazon link be set up? I'm sure we all spend a fair amount there and if we all followed an affiliate link then Eddie would get a small fee each time.

I have ads blocked as the forum is unusable otherwise, its horrible browsing on mobile where whole posts are sat behind ads and the page is moving up and down as ads load. Not to mention the data used loading the video ads and battery drain?

Well implemented ads will bring revenue, badly implemented ads will drive people away or force them into using ad blockers.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Is anything being done about the current situation?

It’s beyond unreasonable on the advert provider’s part.

The page is almost unreadable, certainly with any level of enjoyment remaining.

I mean, look at this screen shot I just took of my current page view on my MacBook. It’s awful.
    It doesn’t look like this on my MacBook in Safari. I have an adblocker installed which lets you define specific elements on the page to block. I’m away from my computer at the moment and can’t remember what the blocker is called. I’ll share a link to it later.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It doesn’t look like this on my MacBook in Safari. I have an adblocker installed which lets you define specific elements on the page to block. I’m away from my computer at the moment and can’t remember what the blocker is called. I’ll share a link to it later.
    This will very be useful to many of us - do let us know what you have on your device - I though it was just me! I've just updated my IOS to Big Sur hoping that it might solve the problem but I'm still getting that really annoying one that presents itself on the bottom right hand of the screen on every bloody page. Makes reading the forum an utter pain. I use Safari to browse

I use 1Blocker on my M1 MacBook Air running Big Sur.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/1block...07421413?mt=12

When it is switched off, this is what I see here:

When it is enabled, I see this:

You can "Hide Element" option to interactively select screen elements to block. The default setting didn't hide the grey box at the bottom of the page. Using this option I selected the box and the blocker hides it automatically.

Craftsman

Apologies for being dense but it would appear my MacBook Air runs the latest Mojave and not Big Sur, and therefore won't download this app (or indeed several others such as Whats App), what am I missing is it just a case of moving to Big Sur or is there a different version of 1blocker for Mojave ? Thx Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Apologies for being dense but it would appear my MacBook Air runs the latest Mojave and not Big Sur, and therefore won't download this app (or indeed several others such as Whats App), what am I missing is it just a case of moving to Big Sur or is there a different version of 1blocker for Mojave ? Thx Tim
    I've just checked on the App Store. 1Blocker requires 10.15 Catalina or 11.0 Big Sur to run. It's to do with the way Safari extensions were changed to be made more secure.

Master
    I'm just getting a constant "agree to cookies" at the moment on Firefox. Really 'king annoying. I've tried agreeing, switching any and every ad block off all to no avail.

Hmm: found it happened on another site so checked and the "tracking" setting is a custom one so switched it to standard and it seems to have fixed it
    Last edited by reecie; 10th February 2021 at 19:01.

Craftsman
    For me its a big grey area popping up covering the the bottom fifth of the screen but thankfully with a x (close) in the corner, so quickly got rid of but occasional appears again. Oh Chrome and I've an ad blocker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    For me its a big grey area popping up covering the the bottom fifth of the screen but thankfully with a x (close) in the corner, so quickly got rid of but occasional appears again. Oh Chrome and I've an ad blocker.
    I found I had to switch to ADGuard (on Windows) to solve that as it has the select an area of the screen option mentioned in some of the MacOS related posts in this thread

Craftsman
    I've just checked on the App Store. 1Blocker requires 10.15 Catalina or 11.0 Big Sur to run. It's to do with the way Safari extensions were changed to be made more secure.
    Cheers Phil, just been on with Apple for 3 hours wiping and reinstalling my MacBook as Big Sur didn't download as it should.... all sorted now!!!!

When it is switched off, this is what I see here:
    When it is enabled, I see this:
    You can "Hide Element" option to interactively select screen elements to block. The default setting didn't hide the grey box at the bottom of the page. Using this option I selected the box and the blocker hides it automatically.
    Thanks Phil for recommending 1 blocker.
    After trying one that didn't appear to stop anything, which was probably down to my lack of IT knowledge.
    I downloaded 1 blocker and again probably by luck, but all the pops stopped coming through :-)

Craftsman
    I've stopped using the site on a browser and only use the app with an ad blocker on my phone. It just got a bit unusable tbh

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ll add my appreciation for the 1Blocker recommendation - it has transformed the use of the site. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So far this weekend I have.....

*Deleted half the stuff off my MacBook so there's enough room to update to Big Sur.

*Upgraded to Big Sur

* Downloaded 1Blocker and found it made zero difference.

* Paid for an annual subscription, assuming that would make it work - nope.

* Rebooted the MacBook twice, and restarted the 1Blocker program.

* Made sure it's all set up and switched on in Safari>Preferences>extensions

And all the ads and video pop-ups are exactly the same on TZ and PH and other sites I look at.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? On face value, 1Blocker has made absolutely zero difference.

UPDATED

https://support.1blocker.com/hc/en-u...ker-Is-Enabled

Followed the support page here, and toggled everything on and off and found that for some reason TZ and PH sites had been added to an "allow ads on these sites" list. It's as if the trackers on this site know I've got 1Blocker working and manage to switch it off!??

All working now - it's bliss.

Thank you for the help and tips, Phil Lee!
    Last edited by mr noble; 28th February 2021 at 18:32.

Thank you for the help and tips, Phil Lee!
    Pleased to hear you got everything working.

Craftsman
    Just to add - I had a look at 1Blocker but before I downloaded it and I also had a look at some of the setting or preferences, permissions, etc that are activated
    within google. I use Safari to view this forum.

I found that I had loads of 'permissions' switched on within google that seemed to be allowing loads of pop ups and tracking.

I guess that these will have been added over time whilst i browse various places online? Anyway the upshot is having changed these permissions I no longer have any pop ups on here at all. That annoying one that was popping up at the bottom left of the screen with a video was the worst!

Apologies for the non techy explanation! I have not bothered at this point with the 1 Blocker app but I am suspicious that I may have to revisit this again in the future!
    Last edited by Eddiex; 2nd March 2021 at 13:59.

Just setting up a new PC, using Firefox, and straight away got lots of pop ups on here
    After installing the free version of Malwarebytes (no affiliation to same), pop ups stopped. However the "monitor" is now showing 1555 and rising popups "killed".

Master
    Sure it’s getting worse- page jumping all over the place when refreshed and currently 2 or 3 ads. I have adblocker but doesn’t seem to work. This is the only site (that I visit)that is bad. Anyone any suggestions for iPad and safari? Not interested in a different browser

As per above posts, 1Blocker seems to be hitting the spot on safari across all hardware types. (IMac, phone, pad)

It does cost money for the full version but links all devices via cloud and I’d say is well worth it.

Master
    As per above posts, 1Blocker seems to be hitting the spot on safari across all hardware types. (IMac, phone, pad)

It does cost money for the full version but links all devices via cloud and I’d say is well worth it.
    Thanks- didn’t realise it worked on iPad too. Just installed and free version allows blocking ads. All sorted now!

On my ipad, doing my usual “today’s posts” search, where there is normally a list of (say) 8 pages available,

After looking at one thread and returning to the search result - only one page is showing with no option to jump to pages 2-onwards.

Anyone else noticed this?

Master
    I too have very obviously noticed an increase in pop up ads in Safari on my MacBook Air

Thank you Phil and Jubal, I’ve been using an iPad for the last two months and it’s been driving me round the bend! So much so I’ve almost been driven away and moonlighting on WuS!
    The TZ-UK site had become the worst site I’ve seen with these popups and pages jumping about, it was almost unusable for me and not helped my by my dyslexia.