closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Screwdriver for Tudor bracelet

Screwdriver for Tudor bracelet

Wondering if anyone can point me to the best screwdriver for a Tudor bracelet (a 1926 if it matters), I'm damned if I can get the links out

I think it's a 1.6mm I need, but I've read elsewhere that I should be looking for a 'hollow point' screwdriver, but every link seems to dead end or take me to an American website. I'll admit to giving it a go with my Wera 1.2mm and pretty much immediately bending the screwdriver head

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Bergeon-7...dp/B07NDYBL64/

In reality is this one above going to do the trick just fine or would you recommend an alternative? Hoping the right tool along with a long dunk in some hot water (as I assume loctite must be involved) will solve this, as who knows when the shops will be back open! Ta

(sorry if this topic has been done to death in various forms, but I did trawl for a good while before making the thread!)

---

EDIT: Solved on post #13 for future reference
    Last edited by M1011; 9th February 2021 at 02:21.

Surprised to hear it bent a Wera screwdriver, I heard they were decent quality.

Was planning on trying to remove links from my new Tudor tonight using some screwdrivers I found lying around. Probably made of cheese.

Craftsman
    Did you heat up the link before your tried to unscrew it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post

Was planning on trying to remove links from my new Tudor tonight using some screwdrivers I found lying around. Probably made of cheese.
    Me too, my Wera set have done task a fair few times even with a drop of loctite 221 on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    Heat it how?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

I've got Bergeon and Wera, used both on Tudor fine - 1.6mm.

Might be worth heating the bracelet up first. I've put bracelets in a cup of hot water before to ease the loctite which seems to work well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Heat it how?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
    I normally use a hair dryer..... works a treat!

Craftsman
    I followed some advice on tz and bought these screwdrivers:

https://gleave.london/french-screwdr...-a-wooden-box/

I would recommend them.

Here is the origional thread:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...vers&p=5320479

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post

The Wera has always worked for me in the past to be fair, I think it being a 1.2mm probably didn't help. I must say I sized my Tudor BB bracelet no problem with it too.

After the initial failure I did try that, running it under a hot tap for about 30 seconds. No luck unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've got Bergeon and Wera, used both on Tudor fine - 1.6mm.

Might be worth heating the bracelet up first. I've put bracelets in a cup of hot water before to ease the loctite which seems to work well.
    Yes perhaps more heating needed. I did try the hot tap but perhaps needed longer.

I followed some advice on tz and bought these screwdrivers:

https://gleave.london/french-screwdr...-a-wooden-box/

I would recommend them.

Here is the origional thread:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...vers&p=5320479
    Thank you for the recommendation, I will check them out!

Master
    Plus one for Gleaves’s French screwdrivers. I bought 4 in different sizes , it came to £16 delivered. I have also read on here of spot heat such as a soldering iron on the screwed side. Sounds like someone has gone overboard with the Locktite. Might be worth dropping Walkerweek on here a pm Im sure he has spoken about tenacious links in the past.

Steve

Grand Master
    Get a flame on the end of the link that contains the screwthreads, that'll soften the loctite and the screws will come out easily. Alternatively, use a soldering iron. Be sure to put the heat into the right place, not the screwhead.

If a bracelet screw is stubborn, rather than steady pressure I find a short sharp twist at the start breaks the ‘seal’. Similar to taking the top off a stubborn jam jar

Thank you all for the very helpful suggestions. I am pleased to report the bracelet is now sized!

I must also give credit to @hughtrimble for a comment I found on a 2019 thread where he suggested using a Victorinox corkscrew screwdriver as "absolutely ideal" for Rolex screws. He was 100% correct, it's like it was made for the job. Bit of hot water on the bracelet and the Victorinox had links from both sides off and the bracelet sized within minutes. Perfect! Amazing what a difference a properly sized screwdriver can make.

Some images below in the hope it helps someone else down the road. As my poor Wera has now been retired from service, I will still be picking up some new screwdrivers from the suggestions above as well, although I think the trusty Victorinox will be my weapon of choice for Tudor and Rolex. Link: £3.99 on Amazon at the time of writing

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Thank you all for the very helpful suggestions. I am pleased to report the bracelet is now sized!

I must also give credit to @hughtrimble for a comment I found on a 2019 thread where he suggested using a Victorinox corkscrew screwdriver as "absolutely ideal" for Rolex screws.

Ha! Amazing - i've been looking and failing to find a screwdriver to size my Tudor - I've dig out my old pen knife