closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 16570 Dial change

Craftsman

16570 Dial change

I have a very nice 16570 with the black dial. To change things about a bit, I was thinking about buying a white dial and changing it over.

What's the best way to do this? I'm guessing Rolex would charge a small fortune to do this? Is the best option to try to source one off ebay/chrono24 and get it fitted by a watchmaker?

Craftsman
    I’ve had similar thoughts recently.

Are you planning on changing the hands too? Might look odd if you don’t. Is the watch due a service? In which case Rolex might be your best bet. I don’t believe you can go to Rolex for a dial change without a service, so that may have an impact on the economics of your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I’ve had similar thoughts recently.

Are you planning on changing the hands too? Might look odd if you don’t. Is the watch due a service? In which case Rolex might be your best bet. I don’t believe you can go to Rolex for a dial change without a service, so that may have an impact on the economics of your decision.

I forgot about the hands!! That might make this idea too expensive.

The watch is in great condition and running perfectly, so wouldn't need a service.

Mine is at RSC UK right now having the exact dial & hands change. The cost is £380+VAT.

The only restriction is that they will only do it if the watch is in for a service at the same time which my watch needed anyway. They wouldn't do it as a job on its own.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Mine is at RSC UK right now having the exact dial & hands change. The cost is £380+VAT.

The only restriction is that they will only do it if the watch is in for a service at the same time which my watch needed anyway. They wouldn't do it as a job on its own.

Does that cost include handing you back your original dial and hands? Or is this a one-way ticket they offer?

D

Master
    I prefer the black dial. I tend to view white faces as more ‘dress’ than ‘sports’ really. All my sports are black so I’m biased I suppose

Craftsman
    i guess £380 plus vat for a dial change isn’t that bad as i love the white dialled version however throw in a service and it’s gonna cost over a grand in total with the VAT. i guess you could consider a trade with someone who has a white dial knowing you have up to a £1000 to top up the trade.

Craftsman
    Well as luck would have it a TZ'er had a white dial and hand set! Which I purchased today and it's making its way to me this week.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    Well as luck would have it a TZ'er had a white dial and hand set! Which I purchased today and it's making its way to me this week.
    That’s a great result! Lucky you. Does anyone happen to know if you can tell from the warranty card or serial number if the watch was originally a black or white dial?

I once bought a White dial from a dealer in Sweden and it arrived with the black dial hands!
    It went back next day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I once bought a White dial from a dealer in Sweden and it arrived with the black dial hands!
    It went back next day.

Mine arrived yesterday in mint condition........ and with the rights hands!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Does that cost include handing you back your original dial and hands? Or is this a one-way ticket they offer?

D
    No they don't give back the old dial

Will Rolex make the change? Dial change will no longer match the model number.

Also heard stories about Rolex replacing added mods to watches or refusing to service them.

DON

16570 Dial change

The model number is the same whichever dial colour the watch has.
    The older 40mm model is 16570 whilst the newer 42mm model is 216570.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 13th February 2021 at 08:48.

Journeyman
    I’m presuming that £380 doesn’t include the service. Would be interested in the total cost since I have a Sea Dweller that will need one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zharko View Post
    I’m presuming that £380 doesn’t include the service. Would be interested in the total cost since I have a Sea Dweller that will need one soon.

I would presume the bill will be upwards of 1k,

Out of interest did Rolex stop changing dial colours when they changed to 6 digit models ? As some say the colour on the warranty cards.

For what's it's worth we changed a Datejust black dial to silver this week and I charged the guy £50.
    I'd be tempted to source the dial and hands myself and get an independent to change the dial. A movement service would only add 150-200£ on top. The bonus is you keep the original parts and can swop back later if you change your mind.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    For what's it's worth we changed a Datejust black dial to silver this week and I charged the guy £50.
    I'd be tempted to source the dial and hands myself and get an independent to change the dial. A movement service would only add 150-200£ on top. The bonus is you keep the original parts and can swop back later if you change your mind.
    That's exactly my plan.....it can be changed over fairly cheaply and I get to keep the origional dial!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    That's exactly my plan.....it can be changed over fairly cheaply and I get to keep the origional dial!
    Agreed. I’m having this done myself next week:

Also a service at the same time and I’m gonna sell the old dial afterwards to offset