closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CJR Airspeed - owner thoughts?

CJR Airspeed - owner thoughts?

Afternoon TZ,

Snowman's post in the Friday thread has got me rather interested in CJR's wares: https://monochrome-watches.com/cjr-w...osition-price/

Any user experiences of how they wear, reliability, fit and finish etc.? They have a rather lovely Ressence look to them.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I suspect this will be the only CJR Airspeed today!

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

M

There was quite a long thread about them when they were released. I seem to remember a large percentage having to go back for repair, the crystal was especially fragile.
    They are a cool looking watch but based on my (admittedly poor) memory of that thread I would avoid a second hand one.
    Edit found a thread on them
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...light=airspeed

Master
    Maybe their customer service has improved, but I wouldn’t go near them again. Awful communications and prioritising new sales over existing customer problems. They won’t get a new sale from me as a result

I still like mine, but despite saying they would replace any cracked acrylic cases, they never responded to my emails when I thought mine was cracked.

On further examination, I think mine is NOT cracked, but I wasn't inspired by their lack of response.

The movement is really noisy, too, possibly accentuated by the plastic case.

It's an interesting watch and mine keeps good time, but I'm not sure I'd wholeheartedly recommend one to anyone

On the other hand, where would you get a similar-looking alternative?

M

PS I've just taken a look and thought they were supposed to have replaced the Hesalite case with a sapphire one, but seems they're trying to sell them with Hesalite for $600 - I wouldn't pay anything like that for one, to be honest.

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 7th February 2021 at 16:56.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Thank you all for providing your experiences with these - it certainly doesn't sound positive from a CS standpoint, especially when combined with the issues some have experienced with the watches themselves.

Sounds like you did very well with yours then Snowman - a decent price and without the crystal issues! The new RRP does indeed seem very toppy in comparison.

Apprentice
    I would avoid.

I bought one via the Kickstarter process. Having heard that they were replacing the case with a stronger material, I dropped them an email.

They suggested sending it back - I did. According to the tracking it arrived.

That’s it...never responded to any messages at all...until out of the blue 18 months later I had an email asking for details of when it was sent etc. I responded with the info and that’s it, never heard from them again. Chased up maybe 3 or 4 times since and nothing.

They have the watch and I guess I will never see it again.

I have left a scathing review on KS in case they ever try that route again.

With regard to the watch, kind of interesting but anywhere near the 15:00 position its very hard to tell the time.

I would 100% avoid them.

From memory there were 3 or 4 members here who bought from the initial KS issue, including snowman, Steve Harris and me.

I quite liked mine initially, but the novelty soon wore off and I sold mine on Sales Corner. About a month later stories of cracking cases began to circulate (although mine was fine when I sold it) and then the dire customer service experiences soon followed. I consider I had a lucky escape and the whole thing put me off Kickstarter projects for life.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by jdw100 View Post
    I would avoid.

I bought one via the Kickstarter process. Having heard that they were replacing the case with a stronger material, I dropped them an email.

That’s it...never responded to any messages at all...until out of the blue 18 months later I had an email asking for details of when it was sent etc. I responded with the info and that’s it, never heard from them again. Chased up maybe 3 or 4 times since and nothing.

With regard to the watch, kind of interesting but anywhere near the 15:00 position its very hard to tell the time.

I would 100% avoid them.
    That is absolutely appalling. They don’t deserve to be in business if that’s the way they treat people.

I’ve also just noticed snowman’s comment about a $600 rrp for the watch still with a Hesalite case - that’s ridiculous IMO.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by jdw100 View Post
    I would avoid.

I would 100% avoid them.
    Absolutely with Mycroft on this - that is appalling treatment by CJR. So they have both your money and your watch?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Absolutely with Mycroft on this - that is appalling treatment by CJR. So they have both your money and your watch?
    Yes, thats right; both money and watch.

I paid USD$330 ON KS. That’s about 240 quid.

So not the end of the world but frustrating...

My experience on KS for watches has otherwise been great. Three from Doug at MMW. Third arriving from Nop at Vilhelm this week. Fantastic service from both of them. Ventus Mori, Ikepod, OVD, Wolbrook. All very good.

I do like a micro-brand these days!

I have to say, I'm rather glad that I never got a reply.

On their Kickstarter page for the Airspeed it says :

For those unaffected, you still have the option to exchange Hesalite for a hardened glass case. For an exchange, please email us at info@cjrwatches.com and we will gladly ship dispatch the replacement goods to you free of charge. However, CJR is not responsible for shipping cost on your end.

Although a followup update seems to backtrack on that and requires you to send them your watch (and, obviously, never see it again).

This was now 4 years ago, though.

I copied the above into an email and sent it to them, will be interesting to see if I ever get a response - I assume I won't.

Their response (and rather unfriendly responses from another brand in HK) put me off Kickstarter watches for a long time, but I've been lured back in by a few recently and actually have 3 inbound later this year - Hopefully, I'll have no issues with them.

Realistically, assuming a watch arrives, you're pretty much on your own if you have problems (I fixed my Schaffen myself after they seemed very unenthusiastic about taking it back!).

M
    Last edited by snowman; 9th February 2021 at 19:19.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have to say, I'm rather glad that I never got a reply.

On their Kickstarter page for the Airspeed it says :

For those unaffected, you still have the option to exchange Hesalite for a hardened glass case. For an exchange, please email us at info@cjrwatches.com and we will gladly ship dispatch the replacement goods to you free of charge. However, CJR is not responsible for shipping cost on your end.

Although a followup update seems to backtrack on that and requires you to send them your watch (and, obviously, never see it again).

This was now 4 years ago, though.

I copied the above into an email and sent it to them, will be interesting to see if I ever get a response - I assume I won't.

Their response (and rather unfriendly responses from another brand in HK) put me off Kickstarter watches for a long time, but I've been lured back in by a few recently and actually have 3 inbound later this year - Hopefully, I'll have no issues with them.

Realistically, assuming a watch arrives, you're pretty much on your own if you have problems (I fixed my Schaffen myself after they seemed very unenthusiastic about taking it back!).

M
    YeS, I really, really, really wouldn’t advise sending them the watch! Don’t do it!

I’ve only ever had (apart from this one) good experiences with KS watches - I have never experienced being ‘pretty much on your own’

Nop at Vilhelm is a great guy - sent me a load of spare straps at his expense last year. Runs prototype renders past some of his previous customers for comment. Check out their Talos (I own one) and new Prism. I have a Prism on order - looks great.

Doug at MWW is an absolute gent.

Ventus sent me a new watch without any quibble at all when the courier (at UK end) stole mine. I now own three, as they gave great customer service.

Some people get ridiculously angry and rude in Comments section with any delays or issues. I backed a ceramic knife on KS, it was delayed and then when people received them...it was a lovely object but blunt. Value was about USD$40.

You would have through that it was a brand new car that had burst into flames or something of that magnitude from a lot of the comments!

Same with some packing cubes I backed - zips were not up to scratch. I had replacements sent within a few weeks of pointing out the issues with mine. Some people were on the site seeming to want a replacement in two hours and their money back as they were being ‘ripped off’ or the company was ‘full of scammers’ etc etc.

It’s not Amazon and I cannot understand how people can get so worked up over an item less than $100.

As above then, apart from CJR, a small blunt novelty knife and some lengthy delays...I’ve had good experiences

A further comment; if the watch is coming out of Singapore I would have no concerns, personally, in backing it.

Maybe not so much HK in future.....
    Last edited by jdw100; 10th February 2021 at 02:00.

Maybe I should have said, you should 'assume you're on your own'.

If you do that, then better experience can only be a positive.

I've had less positive, but hardly terrible, experiences than you with Kickstarter, but I've not given up on it, after feeling I would.

There are some interesting watches out there at great offer prices, as well as some absolute howlers!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk