timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everest sold out again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It will take 4 weeks.

Eddie
    By the sound of things you'll need to be taking on an employee or two!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Join Date Jan 2021
    Posts 12

Join Date Feb 2020
    Posts 265

Join Date Jan 2021
    Posts 26

Suddenly a lot of new members have been fans for years. Who knew? ;-)

"Yeah, I saw them on their first tour, followed them around playing dingy pubs and clubs. Now I can't get a ticket for their sell-out stadium gigs unless I go to the touts and scalpers."

Umm, I didn't see you at any of those early shows.
    Firstly I never mentioned I was a long time fan? Not sure why you felt the need to imply that.

Simply stated that it would be more like a rolex AD if that's the way he ran his shop. Which most people on the forum seem to have a dislike against? Correct me if I'm wrong.

At the moment it is a level playing field, everyone can buy one, everyone has an equal opportunity to buy one. To me that seems a fair way of running his business?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Firstly I never mentioned I was a long time fan? Not sure why you felt the need to imply that.

Simply stated that it would be more like a rolex AD if that's the way he ran his shop. Which most people on the forum seem to have a dislike against? Correct me if I'm wrong.

At the moment it is a level playing field, everyone can buy one, everyone has an equal opportunity to buy one. To me that seems a fair way of running his business?

Sorry, I meant to include you in my apology for being grumpy.

Rolex have waiting lists (and worse) but a "fastest finger" mad scramble in a 2 minute online window also seems seems suboptimal.

Do I have a solution? No. Possibly pre-ordering with deposits but that's a massive ballache for a small solo operator.

You're right that most people dislike the Rolex model (tbh their antics and attitude have put me right off the brand). But equally lots of longterm, loyal Time Factors fans miss out and see the watches they would have bought flipped for profit on ebay.

I suppose the long-term solution would be to upscale the sales and/or supply side to obviate the bottleneck Nice problem to have, caused by demand being too high.

Eddie needs to make uglier watches and/or add a zero or two on the end of the price -- now that's the Rolex way!

Well said. I am at four TF watches.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Is there really a problem? I've bought three timeFactors watches and was able to get what I wanted each time. No matter what approach Eddie take, there will be somebody who is disappointed. Just because someone is a long term forum doesn't guarantee they are a regular TF customer. There are a number of watches flipped on eBay, but as far as I can see there isn't a huge churn. Price seems right to me and reflect the great value that comes with the watches.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using TZ-UK mobile app

Sorry I'm feeling a bit grumpy. But also this:

@theflyingfisherman: are you a salmon, trout and grayling man by any chance?
    😂 lol... possibly but I’ll leave that up to the imagination ;)

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Is there really a problem? I've bought three timeFactors watches and was able to get what I wanted each time. No matter what approach Eddie take, there will be somebody who is disappointed. Just because someone is a long term forum doesn't guarantee they are a regular TF customer. There are a number of watches flipped on eBay, but as far as I can see there isn't a huge churn. Price seems right to me and reflect the great value that comes with the watches.
    RE: Is there really a problem?

You were able to get what you wanted each time, so clearly you think there isn't...

But if you were one of the many other TF customers who hammer away on the site trying to get a watch and leave with nothing but wasted time, repeatedly, then you might feel differently.

If your theory is right and most watches are not being churned for profit, then that just means it is a lottery for the lucky TF customers as to who get one, and who does not. While a lottery may seem fair on the face of it, there is probably some unfairness baked in, like who has the faster internet, faster computer, geographically closer to the server, faster fingers, etc.

Price is obviously not "right"
    While it might satisfy those who manage to get a watch, because comparatively Eddie's prices are low for a quality product vs. other decent micros, simple economics would dictate that the price should rise. Since it isn't, we see (some) flippers in the market.

While I'm sure this diagram isn't perfect, Eddie has deliberately limited his sales output to the # of units he can personally handle shipping in X days - Q1 units. So even if we offered him mega- dollars, he can only sell Q1 units. But instead of charging P2 dollars (pounds) for each of them, he charges the lower P1. And at that lower price, people demand more units than he can deliver. The number of units that go unsold is Q2-Q1. Some of people who missed out will buy from flippers, who can sell them for up to P2. The number of flippers may be low because the returns are relatively low.

I just see the situation getting worse and worse as the backlog grows and grows...
    e.g.
    With the soft release of Gilt & Commando, improvements to the PRS-25, backlog of orders for the currently unavailable Navigator, and anything else that may show up in the pipe between now and next market day, I foresee even more people coming next time. Add in additional social media coverage, like ID guy and it just gets worse.

PS.
    This might be a better example of what I was trying to show
    https://demonstrations.wolfram.com/S...tyRestriction/
    Last edited by redhed18; 13th February 2021 at 01:42.

I wonder how many will end up flipped for quick profit on ebay?
    Indeed.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    RE: Is there really a problem?

You were able to get what you wanted each time, so clearly you think there isn't...

But if you were one of the many other TF customers who hammer away on the site trying to get a watch and leave with nothing but wasted time, repeatedly, then you might feel differently.

If your theory is right and most watches are not being churned for profit, then that just means it is a lottery for the lucky TF customers as to who get one, and who does not. While a lottery may seem fair on the face of it, there is probably some unfairness baked in, like who has the faster internet, faster computer, geographically closer to the server, faster fingers, etc.

Price is obviously not "right"
    While it might satisfy those who manage to get a watch, because comparatively Eddie's prices are low for a quality product vs. other decent micros, simple economics would dictate that the price should rise. Since it isn't, we see (some) flippers in the market.

While I'm sure this diagram isn't perfect, Eddie has deliberately limited his sales output to the # of units he can personally handle shipping in X days - Q1 units. So even if we offered him mega- dollars, he can only sell Q1 units. But instead of charging P2 dollars (pounds) for each of them, he charges the lower P1. And at that lower price, people demand more units than he can deliver. The number of units that go unsold is Q2-Q1. Some of people who missed out will buy from flippers, who can sell them for up to P2. The number of flippers may be low because the returns are relatively low.

I just see the situation getting worse and worse as the backlog grows and grows...
    e.g.
    With the soft release of Gilt & Commando, improvements to the PRS-25, backlog of orders for the currently unavailable Navigator, and anything else that may show up in the pipe between now and next market day, I foresee even more people coming next time. Add in additional social media coverage, like ID guy and it just gets worse.

PS.
    This might be a better example of what I was trying to show
    https://demonstrations.wolfram.com/S...tyRestriction/
    Life isn't fair at times, everybody doesn't get a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Life isn't fair at times, everybody doesn't get a trophy.
    A harsh lesson that everyone needs to learn at some point.
    Eddie orders watches in batches, the popularity of Timefactors has grown massively in no small part due to rave reviews on social media, the watches outstanding value and limited numbers is bound to mean that some 'miss out', unfortunately some miss out because of flipping profiteers - it happens just like other brands.

I well remember the rush to buy ''speedy Tuesday's'' some fella crowing that he'd managed to bag four, whilst others wanting the watch to mark some special occasion missed out completely.
    Last edited by number2; 13th February 2021 at 09:49.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I've sold more than twice as many watches so far this year (1 April 2020 - 31 March 2021) than I did in my previous best year and there's still almost 7 weeks to go. Even with my nephew helping (and he helps a lot), there's a limit to how many watches we can get out of the door. I don't know why it's happening but it is.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I’ve also missed out on 3 occasions and it is indeed just as disappointing as the last time and maybe even more so but it’s how it is. I just accept it and hope to get it the next time. I appreciate that Eddie prices them the way he does and if he was to price them higher they would still be flipped but for a higher price so I dont see how that benefits us as customers.

Eddie has a no nonsense old school way of doing things, some don’t like it and others don’t mind, he’s not doing anything wrong just because he doesn’t do things the way everyone else does. I do admit I feel a little jealous each time someone posts their new piece but again what more can I do, other than try again? Eddie has a neat way of doing things with the serial number, maybe over time we can weed out the flippers but I dunno. 🤷🏻*♂️

I've sold more than twice as many watches so far this year (1 April 2020 - 31 March 2021) than I did in my previous best year and there's still almost 7 weeks to go. Even with my nephew helping (and he helps a lot), there's a limit to how many watches we can get out of the door. I don't know why it's happening but it is.

Eddie
    It’s happening because you make great watches at reasonable prices. The influencers have found your watches and are promoting them. Demand has therefore increased significantly but your time (and your nephews) hasn’t.

It is a self perpetuating, vicious circle though; your inability to keep up with demand just increases demand still further.

It’s a great position for a business to be in but must be a real headache for you Eddie.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s happening because you make great watches at reasonable prices. The influencers have found your watches and are promoting them. Demand has therefore increased significantly but your time (and your nephews) hasn’t.

It is a self perpetuating, vicious circle though; your inability to keep up with demand just increases demand still further.

It’s a great position for a business to be in but must be a real headache for you Eddie.
    Also the prs-25 was my first smiths, im so impressed with the quality, that I'm going to be trying to secure a navigator next time they are in stock, and can see my self picking up more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Also the prs-25 was my first smiths, im so impressed with the quality, that I'm going to be trying to secure a navigator next time they are in stock, and can see my self picking up more in the future.

True, very few people only have one of Eddie’s watches.

I’ve an Everest and a Speedbird but I’ve also had many others.

I don't know why it's happening but it is.

Eddie
    Aye, it's a mystery right enough...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

This and the lock in's.

Master

Eddie
    Keep up the good work and well done

Apprentice
    Given that the family of prs-25 models has the highest demand, I’m curious to see if the next shop opening lasts a little longer (5-7 minutes) if there is no imminent resupply for the prs-25. If it were to take several months to resupply the different variants of the prs-25, it might give customers a chance to purchase other models that they’ve been unable to buy due to the demand surge caused, in part, by the prs-25. Just a thought.

That depends on the timing of the arrival of the other new models that are due this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ManaBozho View Post
    Given that the family of prs-25 models has the highest demand, I’m curious to see if the next shop opening lasts a little longer (5-7 minutes) if there is no imminent resupply for the prs-25. If it were to take several months to resupply the different variants of the prs-25, it might give customers a chance to purchase other models that they’ve been unable to buy due to the demand surge caused, in part, by the prs-25. Just a thought.
    Considering the PRS-29's are going to be available after a long while I don't think the shop will stay open for much longer than the last time.

Craftsman
    I get that it's sometimes frustrating to want a watch and not be successful when the window is only open for a few minutes. I also get its not a fault but just the way things work with a popular model and the limited numbers.

Its totally non my business how Eddie does his stuff but one way of potentially flattening the order curve would be to have one order window for popular models PRS 25 etc. and the following week/fortnight?? an order window for other less 'popular' models, straps etc but not have the PRS etc on sale that week.

Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    I get that it's sometimes frustrating to want a watch and not be successful when the window is only open for a few minutes. I also get its not a fault but just the way things work with a popular model and the limited numbers.

Its totally non my business how Eddie does his stuff but one way of potentially flattening the order curve would be to have one order window for popular models PRS 25 etc. and the following week/fortnight?? an order window for other less 'popular' models, straps etc but not have the PRS etc on sale that week.

Just my 2 cents...
    That makes a lot of sense. Assuming the sales software can be tweaked. Might also make the handling and shipping easier as it would only mean dealing with one type of watch.

Ideally, the store would open separately (say, once a week) for each model: Commando, Gilt, and so on, with no orders possible for any other watch.

Would mean quicker dispatch times and spreads out the workload for Eddie, too.

I'm just hanging on for the monopusher as a 50th birthday present to myself.

Meanwhile, gratuitous pics of some Smiths (n.b. I'm from Cheltenham and Norway, hence the straps)

Smiths GS De Luxe (1956) on original DEF-3 webbing strap
    Smiths Everest automatic (c.1964) on NOS Bonklip
    Smiths "Antarctic" (1954) on NOS Eulit "Norwegian Flag" perlon
    Time Factors Smiths Everest Expedition (2019) on "Norwegian Flag" NATO

I so wish Eddie did a GS.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Craftsman

Eddie
    A busy year!
    I suspect it's a prime combination of lockdown, the price & online exposure.

Absolutely everything with an online following seems to be seeing a surge in demand this year. People can't go on holiday or go out so are using the spare cash to treat themselves. This is at a great price point for many people and because of the limited supply, it's a very safe purchase for new buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    They are pretty awesome; rare, too, with only about 50 known examples.

Objectively the movement (and subjectively the design / aesthetic) of the W10 is better but the Dennison cases on these are a proper chunk of metal and are same as used on the Longines and Omega RAF "56 recase" watches. I had one with a (T) redial but sold it so I was pretty chuffed to get this original radium one, beautiful patina.

I do love 1950s watches, the best decade imho: decent size, nice designs, lots of innovations, often shock-proofed and/or automatic. I reckon the period from, say, 1953 or 4 to 1963 or 4 produced the nicest models ever seen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I hope this is not a stupid question but what is a GS? I am thinking Grand Seiko but somehow I don't think so.

Craftsman
    I think it refers to 'General Service'

You see the initials 'GS' on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I hope this is not a stupid question but what is a GS? I am thinking Grand Seiko but somehow I don't think so.

I think it refers to 'General Service'

You see the initials 'GS' on the dial.
    Yes, General Service (although actually only issued to the RAF, RAAF and DOS iirc)

It's the watch on the left, black dial and canvas strap.

My little history of Smiths is here:

Craftsman
    Yes, General Service (although actually only issued to the RAF, RAAF and DOS iirc)

It's the watch on the left, black dial and canvas strap.

My little history of Smiths is here:

Thanks for the info and again thanks for the very informative video.

Hi all, this may be mentioned somewhere, but how often does Eddie get batches and sell? Is it once a quarter for example?

Would love a black PRS25, never tried to buy one before as there has always been something about each incarnation that has put me off but I think the newest model is fantastic. Therefore, have never had the pleasure of attempting to be one of the lucky 600 before!

Had a look on eBay and saw brand new models for sale for anywhere between 550 and 750 quid.

Craftsman
    Hi David,

This one on ebay now with a buy it mow price of £370 obo.

It seems a brand new piece and won't stay for long I'm sure.

I have no connection with the seller. Just noticed it after seeing your post.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timefacto...wAAOSwymhgQiqc

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Hi all, this may be mentioned somewhere, but how often does Eddie get batches and sell? Is it once a quarter for example?

Would love a black PRS25, never tried to buy one before as there has always been something about each incarnation that has put me off but I think the newest model is fantastic. Therefore, have never had the pleasure of attempting to be one of the lucky 600 before!

Had a look on eBay and saw brand new models for sale for anywhere between 550 and 750 quid.

Hi David,

This one on ebay now with a buy it mow price of £370 obo.

It seems a brand new piece and won't stay for long I'm sure.

I have no connection with the seller. Just noticed it after seeing your post.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timefacto...wAAOSwymhgQiqc
    That was one lucky buyer. Did someone here snap it up?

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    That was one lucky buyer. Did someone here snap it up?
    Yes I did mate - and I’m really grateful to Mike for giving me the heads up on here and via PM, great example of the community spirit of the forum. Likewise if I decide it’s not a watch for me it’ll be offered back here to members, not eBay👍

Nice work all round.

Yes I did mate - and I’m really grateful to Mike for giving me the heads up on here and via PM, great example of the community spirit of the forum. Likewise if I decide it’s not a watch for me it’ll be offered back here to members, not eBay👍
    Can’t agree more. I’ve been lucky enough to have had a similarly great experience here. Some very honest and understanding members here. Not looking to profit from others losing out. Hope it’s a keeper for you and you enjoy the new purchase. Let us know when it’s in hand 🙌

Craftsman
    Pleasure to be of assistance.

Shortly afterwards I picked up a vintage Smiths W10 form the sales corner here so a good day all round.

if someone ever spots an expedition or a white dailed Everest please PM me!

Didn’t expect it to arrive so quickly, eBay seller will be getting good feedback. It’s certainly a thing of beauty - my usual size is 38/39, so a 36 is a different experience. Some pics, including a quick strap change and a comparison next to my OP39 and Sarb035.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t expect it to arrive so quickly, eBay seller will be getting good feedback. It’s certainly a thing of beauty - my usual size is 38/39, so a 36 is a different experience. Some pics, including a quick strap change and a comparison next to my OP39 and Sarb035.

Looks great on your wrist