closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Baby Willard 6r15 a poor winder?

Baby Willard 6r15 a poor winder?

Hello,

Not sure if this it the right forumfor this query so move this post if needed.

I received the baby willard last week but the watch doesnt seem to hold its power(?)
    Normally with an automatic i will shake it in the morning until it starts ticking then go to work (15mins walk, rest on transport)
    and it will be fine for the rest of the day and will last to the next morning.
    But with this watch it seems to be not getting power from the rotar very well as it stops at night when i put it down on the
    bedside table.
    The spd is great at around + or - 1second a day so far so i dont know if that suggests the movement is okay.

I am used to seiko 7s26c movements and i was wondering if it was something that was different in the 6r15.
    Does the 6r15 rotar store power bidirectionally as i am aware some movements rotar works one way only.
    Even when i give it 10 winds manually to get it going it still stops at night before i get up.

Is there something I am missing?

Anybody else had a problem with this watch arriving unoptimal?

thanks for your time
    Martin

Grand Master
    Suggest you try fully winding it initially, approx 50 twists of the crown should do it. Wear it daily after that and see how it goes.

The Seiko self- winding mechanism is a bit primitive but its usually v. effective, it does wind in both directions of the rotor too. There isn’t much to go wrong, usually they either work or they don’t.

I suspect you’re not active enough to get the watch fully wound during a typical day, but you’re probably active enough to top up the power reserve if you start off with the watch fully wound. This is not unusual thesedays.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Suggest you try fully winding it initially, approx 50 twists of the crown should do it. Wear it daily after that and see how it goes.

The Seiko self- winding mechanism is a bit primitive but its usually v. effective, it does wind in both directions of the rotor too. There isn’t much to go wrong, usually they either work or they don’t.

I suspect you’re not active enough to get the watch fully wound during a typical day, but you’re probably active enough to top up the power reserve if you start off with the watch fully wound. This is not unusual thesedays.
    Okay will try the 50 winds.
    With the crown guards being quite close that would be more like 100 twists overall?

The thing is i am active enough normally for the 7s26 movements which is why this one has surprised me in not
    making it through 24hrs.

thanks

Agree with Paul. I’ve had a similar thing happen with a Sellita powered watch. My theory is the watch isn’t being wound as much on the wrist as usual. This will show especially if I put it on from completely stopped. I don’t usually like handwinding my autos but found it necessary on a couple of occasions during lockdown.

Banned
    Some rotors can be slightly more sticky than others and maybe your 6R15 is a bit more sticky than in your 7S watches. As has been said hand wind it to full power reserve which should be around 50 turns for the 6R15. After that wear it as normal for a few days and see how it does. It shouldn't run out of PR even after consecutive nights of leaving it off at bedtime if you have been active enough during the day.

Journeyman

Think it depends how nimble your fingers are as to how many winds it takes.

I've got quite narrow fingers. Fifty turns is enough. Wearing the watch every day, even leaving it off for a day, mine hasn't exhausted the power reserve.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    That's nothing to do with his problem and why would he buy an overpriced one from the US that he can get on amazon UK for nearly half the price.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Some rotors can be slightly more sticky than others and maybe your 6R15 is a bit more sticky than in your 7S watches. As has been said hand wind it to full power reserve which should be around 50 turns for the 6R15. After that wear it as normal for a few days and see how it does. It shouldn't run out of PR even after consecutive nights of leaving it off at bedtime if you have been active enough during the day.
    I think it unlikely that the rotor's sticking, I`ve never seen this happen with a Seiko. Not sure about the 'consecutive nights' expectation, it depends how active he's been. Many people spend the last few hours in the evening sitting around and watching TV etc, which can equate to 4 hrs with virtually no winding.

Best way to assess self-winding efficiency is with a timegrapher, this will show how the amplitude is increasing as the watch self-winds.

One odd aspect of Seikos is the orientation of the rotor, when it's refitted it has to be set in one position relative to the crown. This is important to ensure self-winding is as efficient as it should be. It's an unusual quirk of the design.

One odd aspect of Seikos is the orientation of the rotor, when it's refitted it has to be set in one position relative to the crown. This is important to ensure self-winding is as efficient as it should be. It's an unusual quirk of the design.
    You learn something everyday here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine didn't stick but first few days it jumped 20 seconds or so , letting it settle down on a winder

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Have the movements been sat around for a while? I ask because I had a similar problem with a Seiko with this movement and in short it needed a service. Once done it has been working fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Have the movements been sat around for a while? I ask because I had a similar problem with a Seiko with this movement and in short it needed a service. Once done it has been working fine ever since.
    They aren't regulated by hand, they are done on a production line I think, so you get these things happening

Journeyman

Baby Willard

I have just ordered one from Time Factors, should arrive soon hopefully, I`ll let you know how I get along

Quote Originally Posted by gubbins View Post
    I have just ordered one from Time Factors, should arrive soon hopefully, I`ll let you know how I get along
    that would be good thanks.

An update from me so far:
    7th feb 10pm 55 winds
    8th feb 11am deviaton =1.1s dialup
    8th feb 10pm +1.4 dev worn position
    9th feb (am dev 1.4s dial up

So it has last for 2 days after the 55 winds (in booklet) and being worn at work.

So far it looks like it does need more work for the rotar to power the spring than my 7s26c movements.
    Glad it is lasting the night so far.

This was mine, differing positions at night and now back in the winder, overall it's 0.2s a day but as you can see it's still settling down on a daily basis

2 weeks in, bang on

Eddie's very kindly asked Me to send Mine back to Him as it had stopped but I noticed it running however it gained over 2 hours once I set the time-)
    I have never know such amazing lume on a watch.