closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Had my Covid jab on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I get mine on Wednesday. No idea which one it is but I'm going straight to work afterwards so I hope all goes OK.
    The only reason I'm not having the day off is it's a fairly new job so don't want to look like I'm taking the mick.

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app
    You should get through Wednesday OK but may (or may not) be feeling something on Thursday.

I would have diagnosed a chill picked up in the damp on Wednesday if I had not had the AZ jab on Friday. It started with a thick head (think dehydrated mild hangover), progressed through a chill and then hot and sticky. Nothing too bad (no nausea) and staying in bed plus 4 g of Paracetamol have dealt with it. So I really don’t know which of them was the cause.

Given your username I can understand "The only reason I'm not having the day off". Just don't let your new employer see it.

lol the user name isn't anything to do with what it implies I get why people think that tho

I hope to not get any of what you felt as it sounds like you had a pretty rough day

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    You should get through Wednesday OK but may (or may not) be feeling something on Thursday.

I would have diagnosed a chill picked up in the damp on Wednesday if I had not had the AZ jab on Friday. It started with a thick head (think dehydrated mild hangover), progressed through a chill and then hot and sticky. Nothing too bad (no nausea) and staying in bed plus 4 g of Paracetamol have dealt with it. So I really don’t know which of them was the cause.

Given your username I can understand "The only reason I'm not having the day off". Just don't let your new employer see it.

Not much chance of the 5g thing going wrong here lol. I finally upgraded my phone to be able to get 5g and it's not even in my area :-(
    (Only discovered that after the fact) I guess by the time 6g is out I'll have it tho
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    No worries, it's only the Microsoft update via 5g that is a bit iffy!

Had mine a couple of weeks ago and only had a bit of soreness around the injection site, to be expected. My wife , despite being bombarded with anti vax crap by various "friends" , had one yesterday , after dithering, doesn't even have a bit of a sore arm ... get it done .

Blog Entries
    Not much chance of the 5g thing going wrong here lol. I finally upgraded my phone to be able to get 5g and it's not even in my area :-(
    (Only discovered that after the fact) I guess by the time 6g is out I'll have it tho

Ha ha ah. Must admit it was one of the funnier conspiracy theories I've seen so far regarding the Vaccination.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Had my first dose on Saturday afternoon ( I’m 39/ at risk group)

Was the Pfizer jab.

No pain or after effects so far as yet.

Was told second dose would be given between 4 and 12 weeks and to call dr if I hadn’t heard from them after 12 weeks.

My wife had the Pfizer one in January, she’s a care worker and I had the Oxford one a couple of weeks ago neither of us have had any effects other than a bruised arm

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Had mine today.
    Over in a flash and never felt a thing.
    Didn’t even sit down.
    AND I got a sticker!

Just had the AZ vaccine.

I sat down.

But I didn’t get a sticker!

Az Jag 1 done today. Got a little green bracelet and a flower....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Trying to book slots for my wifes vaccine and it's a nightmare. You have to book both slots at once, but it doesn't save your first slot, so by the time you choose your second site, date, time, someone else has nabbed your first slot and you go back to the start again

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Trying to book slots for my wifes vaccine and it's a nightmare. You have to book both slots at once, but it doesn't save your first slot, so by the time you choose your second site, date, time, someone else has nabbed your first slot and you go back to the start again
    Wonder how many billion that little “feature” cost to design and roll out. You’d be disappointed if a work experience student made that much of a mess of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Select the first date...take any date for the second...make your booking...amend the 2nd to something appropriate nearer the time...?

Master
    It is currently impossible to draw firm, science-based conclusions on differences between the vaccines based on the trial evidence, since the trial designs were different, end-points varied etc etc. Of course that didn’t stop people doing it, including in the usual fear-mongering newspapers. We'll know much more in a few months time, and the wise are keeping shtum until then.

The decision made by South Africa to pass on the AZ vaccine is understandable since they had to make a decision on what limited evidence was available at the time, but it’s entirely possible that all available vaccines are eventually shown to be broadly similar against the SA variant, and they could be shown to be similarly quite good, or largely useless.

The just-published PHE and PHS real life assessments are the first to show some proper comparative data, and real tests of the UK’s emphasis on single doses for the maximum number of people, with 2nd doses given at 12 weeks, and the AZ vaccine in over-65s. Sorry to confound the armchair doom-merchants and President Macron, but these show the Pfizer vaccine is quite effective at preventing serious disease and reducing transmission from 3 weeks after a single dose (PHE), and both give good reduction of serious disease in the elderly (and the AZ vaccine actually gives somewhat better results than the Pfizer: PHS).

This does endorse the U.K.’s policy, which was a fair bet on scientific vaccinology grounds, but until now was direct evidence-light (and widely criticised by those with vested interests in the other direction).

(On grounds of full disclosure, I should first say that I remain an extremely harsh critic of the current administration’s appalling mismanagement of most aspects of the pandemic for 10 months until the various vaccine-related aspects, plus I’m a retired medical infectious diseases professional. Proper recognition when it’s due, though).

Finally, it’s worth mentioning that the reason going for a focus on the first dose was (probably) the best strategy is because we’d got such a huge number of cases and deaths because Johnson had delayed shutting down and opened up too early on all previous opportunities.
    Last edited by drmarkf; 25th February 2021 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Just had the AZ vaccine.

I sat down.

But I didn’t get a sticker!
    This is a Friday thread.

Got the Pfizer one yesterday morning and all went well
    Slightly sore arm in the afternoon but by this morning nothing at all.
    12 week's to go for the second jab.

I had my second jab today Pfizer so hopefully two jabs plus a bout of covid I should be good for a while, hopefully.

Had my Pfizer #2 today as well. Fingers crossed...

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Had my Pfizer #2 today as well. Fingers crossed...
    Bang on schedule, congrats PC...now just wait a couple of weeks and you've got about 95 per cent immunity and considerably lower likelihood of infecting another should you get it, this according to the real world large scale data from Israel. Jabs a good un.

Looks like they are carrying on with age related priorities so i am in the next group of 40 to 50.

Still think there should of been some professional based priorities like teachers and police shop workers etc

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Looks like they are carrying on with age related priorities so i am in the next group of 40 to 50.

Still think there should of been some professional based priorities like teachers and police shop workers etc
    You'll be in the first group for phase two and that's due to start in mid-April or early May.

If you want to read about prioritisation and allocation, then see this link.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Select the first date...take any date for the second...make your booking...amend the 2nd to something appropriate nearer the time...?
    I think the problem lies with attempting to take the first available am/pm day on offer, given that the majority of the online applicants will also be going for that. Choosing a day/time a couple of days after the first available slot should work fine (it certainly did for SWMBO after several failed attempts at the 'first available').

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thomas Reid
    I had my first one (Oxford/AstraZeneca) last Wednesday. I could feel the jab point for a couple of days, but too little to say that it was sore. Also, I've been sleeping quite a bit the last few days[1], but I'm not sure whether that is the result of the jab, or simply work and age catching up with me. (Don't really care which it is either.)

[1] The cool one was last night. Nap from 1630-1800, when I had to get up to cook dinner. Nap from 2030-0130. Sleep from 0230-1100. More sleep yesterday/last night than is usual in 2-3 nights. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I suspect that the benefit isn't so much the reduction in the possibility of getting the virus, although there is that, but in the substantial mitigation of the effects, if one gets it.
    Last edited by rfrazier; 28th February 2021 at 16:07.

Had the Oxford jab Thursday. Also aware of the felling in the arm for 24 hrs. No other noticeable effects. No more or less sleepy.

Wife had the astra zen today, was in and out in 2mins. Jab site feels a bit hot, but see how it goes. At 45 guess I have a bit of a wait yet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    I've got the attestation stating that I'm high priority, but you can't get a jab on this side of the channel (NW France) for love nor money. You can't even book an appointment at the moment due to the lack of vaccines (and possibly the capacity to get the jabs administered).
    You gotta love that Mr. Macron....

pfizer Jab on thursday

Sore arm until saturday evening when the soreness went away all of a sudden

I sleep on my side so took some paracetamol before bed

Mrs the same and she has had both (being frontlne) she says she felt worse the first one

Just back from having my first jab. The nurse said "You might feel a little prick". "That's nothing new" I replied . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Further evidence pre-published today of the efficacy of both jabs, including further confirmation that the U.K. strategy of focusing on the first dose was correct. Interestingly there’s now rising support from scientists and some politicians in the USA for switching to emphasising the first dose there.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n..._content=daily

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Further evidence pre-published today of the efficacy of both jabs, including further confirmation that the U.K. strategy of focusing on the first dose was correct. Interestingly there’s now rising support from scientists and some politicians in the USA for switching to emphasising the first dose there.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n..._content=daily
    I heard via my Mrs, she's American and so tends to follow their news fairly closely and has elderly/vulnerable parents over there who definitely recently received their Pfizer Jabs 21 days apart,... that Trumps Surgeon General had floated this idea as regards the first dose priority idea a la UK style on Social media, though iirc Prez Biden let that guy go early on, may have been day1... and as I understand it just a couple of days ago Doc Fauci reiterated the commitment to abiding by the dosing schedules the manufacturers have advised...have you got a link perhaps to any reports of the rising support from other scientists over the pond, it would certainly be interesting to read more...
    Last edited by Passenger; 2nd March 2021 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just back from having my first jab. The nurse said "You might feel a little prick". "That's nothing new" I replied . . .
    Had mine today too, the Astra Zeneca one. On the advice from several medics I took a paracetamol one hour before the jab, they reckon it helps mitigate any subsequent side effects.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Had mine today too, the Astra Zeneca one. On the advice from several medics I took a paracetamol one hour before the jab, they reckon it helps mitigate any subsequent side effects.

R
    I had it on Sunday and had no side effects at all, I assume that if you have had the bug you are already used to it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I heard via my Mrs, she's American and so tends to follow their news fairly closely and has elderly/vulnerable parents over there who definitely recently received their Pfizer Jabs 21 days apart,... that Trumps Surgeon General had floated this idea as regards the first dose priority idea a la UK style on Social media, though iirc Prez Biden let that guy go early on, may have been day1... and as I understand it just a couple of days ago Doc Fauci reiterated the commitment to abiding by the dosing schedules the manufacturers have advised...have you got a link perhaps to any reports of the rising support from other scientists over the pond, it would certainly be interesting to read more...
    I got this from a couple of articles in the Washington Post, including a report based on the weekly discussions between Tony Fauci and Chris Whitty. Fauci (who I respect a lot) is mainly concerned over the possibility of lower immunity from single doses allowing emergence of more variants, while Whitty (likewise) feels that gross numbers are more significant. Since there are already plenty of variants emerging all the time, mainly in areas of high prevalence and before vaccines were deployed obviously, personally I agree with Whitty, but currently there’s no strong actual evidence either way.

Also relevant are the widely ranging approaches to control measures in the US (ranging from almost totally ignoring the pandemic in some states, compared with European-style lockdowns in others), and the concern Fauci has over changing earlier advice leading to loss of faith in the public health services.

This isn’t simple, but the U.K. has published its modelling comparing what would be predicted if the 2 strategies were followed, which showed thousands more deaths with adherence to the conventional 2-dose approach, so it’s hard to argue against that with only theoretical issues.

Grand Master
    Had mine Saturday , AZ. In and out in 5 mins.
    Aching arm and joints and deep fatigue Sunday but fine after that. Was surprised to get the call as I’m 51 and no underlying issues.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I got this from a couple of articles in the Washington Post, including a report based on the weekly discussions between Tony Fauci and Chris Whitty. Fauci (who I respect a lot) is mainly concerned over the possibility of lower immunity from single doses allowing emergence of more variants, while Whitty (likewise) feels that gross numbers are more significant. Since there are already plenty of variants emerging all the time, mainly in areas of high prevalence and before vaccines were deployed obviously, personally I agree with Whitty, but currently there’s no strong actual evidence either way.

Also relevant are the widely ranging approaches to control measures in the US (ranging from almost totally ignoring the pandemic in some states, compared with European-style lockdowns in others), and the concern Fauci has over changing earlier advice leading to loss of faith in the public health services.

This isn’t simple, but the U.K. has published its modelling comparing what would be predicted if the 2 strategies were followed, which showed thousands more deaths with adherence to the conventional 2-dose approach, so it’s hard to argue against that with only theoretical issues.
    Interesting thanks, didn't Whitty already predict thousands more deaths in the UK even allowing for the greater quantity of single doses over the relative certainty of the double dose vaccination approach, 30,000 I think I heard him refer to at one of the press conferences, this was a couple of weeks ago.
    It sure isn't simple. It'll be interesting to see the results of the USA's 30,000 strong trial of the AZ vaccine, due in April iirc.

Also had 1st jab AZ this afternoon. 2nd jab scheduled for 18th May.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    I tried that paracetamol trick. I felt fine. For 12 hrs after the jab....then the side effects kicked in for ca. 18 hrs! After that all fine again.

Our little lads best mate came over today for lunch, he got his first Pfizer last week due to being on the disabled/risk register, 16 years old, he didn't feel a thing he said, but that's youth for you I suppose. Follow up jab 21 days later.
    We'd suspected he'd have got the AZ one.

Master

If Matt reads that he will hunt you down

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    If Matt reads that he will hunt you down
    I’m sure he’s got more important stuff to do.
    😎

I'm 49 and was texted an appointment link today so I'll be having the jab on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I'm 49 and was texted an appointment link today so I'll be having the jab on Saturday.
    it does seem that some parts of the country are miles ahead of others

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    it does seem that some parts of the country are miles ahead of others
    Yes, not even doing 50s yet here.

Blog Entries
    Had my Az jab today. Under 60 but in group 6. Bit of a sore arm no further effects so far. Took about 2mins and advised not to drive for 15mins after.

follow up jab due in 12 weeks which takes us into May.

Martyn.

Blog Entries
    Got the Pfizer one yesterday morning and all went well
    Slightly sore arm in the afternoon but by this morning nothing at all.
    12 week's to go for the second jab.

I thought Pfizer was 21 days for 2nd? Got my Oxford-AZ told 12 weeks for mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Also had 1st jab AZ this afternoon. 2nd jab scheduled for 18th May.
    Exactly the same for me.
    No side effects at all, and that was yesterday morning

Craftsman
    Got my 1st Pfizer jab yesterday and 2nd booked for 11th May.
    Thankfully no side effects other than a mildly sore arm today.

Jake

Blog Entries
    Got my AZ yesterday, aches and pains all over along with a fever

Journeyman

no problem

last Thursday i had my first jab - the astra zenica one

i have a bleeding disorder - mild haemophilia

my local centre sent me a leaflet to give to staff about needle size etc

all went well apart from a Nazi security staff member - the doctor told me to sit on a chair about 50m from vaccine station to see if i got a 'bleed' - the Nazi told me to get out and wait in my car!

bloody disgrace at former Wickes store in Mansfield

no problem - not even a sore arm

the guy who vaccinated me was a retired pharmacist who came out of retirement to help
    Last edited by nick h; 4th March 2021 at 10:01.

Master
    Just had mine (AZ) at Hillsborough HC. Very quick and painless, with a date for the second dose. Hopefully no afters as I am working for the next 7 nights.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk