Evening. Here for help (again) after Google, or more likely my Google-Fu, has failed me.

It's my wifes 40th next Wednesday and she's asked for a private reg plate for her car. Fine, not my bag but if it's what she wants I'm not fighting her.

Long story short this, we were supposed to trade up last year but after a cock up regarding our new house (our new street didn't exist!) that p/x didn't happen so we're paying off the final couple of months on her Qashqui (2013 model) and starting a new finance package then. She has her sights on a couple of year old Volvo V40 or Skoda Kamiq.

Here's the problem - the plate I've seen for her is a 2014 registration (DJ14, to be precise). Obviously that can't legally go on the Qashqui as it's a year newer than the car. Can I still buy the plate and NOT have it registered to a car yet? Just hold it on retention? When I tried to get it via the DVLA they wouldn't let me progress any further until I told them the vehicle it was going to be going on.

If I had hair, I'd be tearing it out... I'm on the last minute with this already.