closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any pianists?

Any pianists?

I used to play the Organ for 15 years up until the time I finished university and regretted not continuing. I recent bought a portable digital piano and was pleasantly surprised with how quickly I picked it up (I can still read sheet music after all these years) and whilst piano and organ are very different (piano is much more expressive and the delicacy or otherwise of how you press the keys is vital) I am already at the stage where I have progressed to ordering a full size upright digital piano.

I really enjoy it. Are there any other pianists on here? Would be great to hear how you are getting on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’ve been a session keys player for 25 years. Hopefully I ain’t too bad by now... but you never stop learning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to play for years (since I was a kid), and bought a digital piano a couple of years ago hoping to pick it up again. I, too, was surprised that I could still pick it up somewhat quickly (and was able to read sheet music still). However, I found it hard to play anything too technically challenging anymore, as it requires the time and patience that I don't possess anymore.

Hope you enjoy OP!

There are a few on here.

Jwillans is exceptional.

I used to play when I was younger and have just started getting back into it.

We have a keyboard seller on SC too, worth checking with him.

Here's a link to one of his threads.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Thanks for that. That is a very talented pianist - certainly above my level. Nice use of expression to interpret the music. Lovely piano too - Steinway Grand.

I've ordered a Yamaha CLP785 which samples the Yamaha CFX Grand and Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand - obviously a million miles away from an acoustic Steinway but I'm not sure a Steinway grand would fit in my small London flat :)

^I hope you find it therapeutic, Ryan.

You have done so much for the forum in terms of securing deals for people that I think you deserve some good karma back.

It's a wonderful way of expressing yourself.

Master
    I'm a struggling learner that doesn't spend enough time practising... :0(

and consequently still having a lot of trouble co-ordinating the hands. Been off and on for a couple of years now. Still trying to get used to sight reading.

My main problem is that I want to run before learning to walk. Always been like that with everything. I download sheet music and then get discouraged when I cant play it. Latest is the music from Cinema Paradiso by Ennio Morricone. Love the music so don't see why I cant play it.

Seeing/reading this thread I might give lessons a go. When my daughter was around 10-11 she was very interested in musical instruments, played the violin and others at the time so I got a 2nd hand upright. A year after getting the piano she lost interest so the piano has sat in the office not being used.

Does need some work and a tune but I’ve been watching some YouTube videos and may wake up the family tomorrow morning with my tuneless lessons

You dark horse Ryan.

A long time since I sat in an organ loft, wrecking havoc on a 4 manual Harrison & Harrison, pedals forward, all stops out. Toccata in D Minor with more volume than skill. Vandal!

I don't play enough, and of as a result hands are weak through lack of practice with the scales I hated but knew were critical. But muscle memory and good sight-reading skills make up for it.

For anyone starting out just remember it's about enjoyment. One hand at a time brings rewards, and it can be a very easy and satisfying way to play along to a favourite track. Loads of sheet music to download to play along to something something in your mp3 collection.

As long as you enjoy it...

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    You dark horse Ryan.

A long time since I sat in an organ loft, wrecking havoc on a 4 manual Harrison & Harrison, pedals forward, all stops out. Toccata in D Minor with more volume than skill. Vandal!

I don't play enough, and of as a result hands are weak through lack of practice with the scales I hated but knew were critical. But muscle memory and good sight-reading skills make up for it.

For anyone starting out just remember it's about enjoyment. One hand at a time brings rewards, and it can be a very easy and satisfying way to play along to a favourite track. Loads of sheet music to download to play along to something something in your mp3 collection.

As long as you enjoy it...
    Ha!! If only we knew before :) Although my organ playing was on a Yamaha Electone organ.

Grand Master
    not a player but saw this thread whilst listening to this:
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Pull...elease/5005087
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I teach the piano a bit in normal times. I've not done so many online lessons but I am in the process of devising an online piano course utilizing the methods I have created over the last 20 years. It has helped having a background in music education research. This will be published online later this year

In the meantime, happy to help with any piano related questions. I also supply new and ex-demo pianos to schools, colleges and universities across the UK through my company - UCan Play. We have accounts and partnerships with Steinway, Roland, Casio and many others.

Master
    I taught myself to play when I was eleven (1987), I moved on to keyboards and then synths, and then started to write semi-professionally, and then I moved on to doing remix and arrangement work. All part time, but great fun - although I actually enjoyed the mastering more than the writing side of it as I'm an audiophile at heart (and ear).

I put it all aside in 2010 and now only occasionally sit at the keys. I'm rustier than an Austin Allegro, but after some hours the fingers do loosen up and let the music flow. I'm working on a new album and I have the intro track mostly complete (bar correct mixing and mastering) and the bassline of the second track ready, but what I'd usually create in a few days has taken months. :0D

Nice to be able to play something musical though whether one does it regularly or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    There are a few on here.

Jwillans is exceptional.

I used to play when I was younger and have just started getting back into it.

We have a keyboard seller on SC too, worth checking with him.

What a nice thing to say - thank you. I enjoy playing and at times it is the only thing that keeps me sane - the discovery of a new voicing or harmonic approach can make my week! Although I do get frustrated with my limitations.

Jpjsavage is the instrument seller (he has posted in the thread) and I highly recommend as a go to person for any instruments. I've had a couple of digital instruments for my sons and the prices and service has been first class.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Thanks for that. That is a very talented pianist - certainly above my level. Nice use of expression to interpret the music. Lovely piano too - Steinway Grand.

I've ordered a Yamaha CLP785 which samples the Yamaha CFX Grand and Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand - obviously a million miles away from an acoustic Steinway but I'm not sure a Steinway grand would fit in my small London flat :)
    Thanks Ryan. You may consider looking at the Roland range as an alternative if you are not already committed, I have a Roland FP-30X on order from Jpjsavage for night practice and tinkering with the rather excellent electronic instruments such as the Rhodes Suitcase. The action and sound quality on these instruments are astounding for the money ~£600. Good luck with your journey, my tip is that you have to learn to love the learning process and not just the results.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post

Thanks Ryan. You may consider looking at the Roland range as an alternative if you are not already committed, I have a Roland FP-30X on order from Jpjsavage for night practice and tinkering with the rather excellent electronic instruments such as the Rhodes Suitcase. The action and sound quality on these instruments are astounding for the money ~£600. Good luck with your journey, my tip is that you have to learn to love the learning process and not just the results.
    Thanks for this. I actually bought a Yamaha P125 a couple of weeks ago but due to picking up where I 'left off' so quickly I felt I needed to go much higher up the range already. The main issue was being able to be expressive - very difficult to 'lean into' the P125 if that makes sense. So I checked the reviews and it seemed that the CLP785 was about as good as it gets for high level digitals (with honourable mentions for the Yamaha NU1X and Kawai CA99). Of course this excludes spending upwards of £10k. I'm absolutely nowhere near being a professional however the aim is to keep the piano for at least 5 years and grow into it. Let's hope I dont flip my pianos like I flip my watches!

Link to a review of the Yamaha CLP785;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XjBkdc...ature=youtu.be

Very much looking forward to it - there's nothing quite like sitting down on a dreary day and just noodling away, or working towards playing a piece you'd always wished you could play and finally being able to do it :)

Last edited by ryanb741; 7th February 2021 at 21:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Link to a review of the Yamaha CLP785;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XjBkdc...ature=youtu.be

Very much looking forward to it - there's nothing quite like sitting down on a dreary day and just noodling away, or working towards playing a piece you'd always wished you could play and finally being able to do it :)

Looks excellent, the sound modelling on contemporary digital pianos is really impressive, with much more realistic sounding overtones than in previous generations. I've said for a while now that a good digital piano is better than a cheap upright. Enjoy!