closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UK pre-owned sales sites?

UK pre-owned sales sites?

Just wondering...where else do people go to look for secondhand watches? Both dealers and forums?

Over the years, I think I've become a sleeping member on most watch forums. It was the scam sale on Watchuseek that reminded me years ago I had previously placed an advert over there but being 99% US, I hardly ever visit. I think I've also bought from eBay once before but I would be really hesitant these days for fear if scams and almost exclusively use this forum.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have bought one from watchfinder,mostly for piece of mind.

Parkers, dont have as many watches as Watchfinders.

Ive always found they give way better part exchanges, lower prices on the watches they sell...Plus! they dont take as long as Watchfinders do to "inspect" whatever you may be trading...At times Watchfinder have taken days.

Ive also bought a Rolex no date sub from watches.co.uk....they were pretty good too.

Master
    Over the years I've bought from Mike ( the old watch shop), Blowers, watchfinder, watches.co.uk, ebay, local jewellers and a couple of london dealers who's names I can no longer recall.

A lot of these sites have me scratching my head...I'm looking at fairly common watches that are advertised on grey dealer or secondhand dealer sites (chronext, watches.co.uk) for more than the RRP! These are readily available watches that I coukd easily order from any AD brand new for less.

Then there are loads if examples that are 10% discount...easily achievable from dealers. How are they doing business?

I dealt with this fairly new dealer called ‘Subdial’ lately and really liked them (honest watches and very competitive prices). They since sorted a watch for my friend as well.

But nothing quite like buying from other forum members to be honest:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I have bought one from Watchfinder, mostly for piece of mind.
    Peace of mind?

You checked they weren't stolen then? https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

Or had a fake President bracelet on.....

I really only buy from house clearance or dealer friends.

That way I get to have the watch in my hand and can see what I am buying.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Parkers are very decent to deal with and will discount.

I gave up on Watchfinder ages ago - jokers with their prices and low ball buy in offers. The power of advertising and branding, hey? Seems to sway most punters.

Blowers are nice folk, closer to Watchfinder on prices but will do a deal and much better buy in offer prices.

Miltonaires, of course, are great, I regret selling the 16610 I purchased from Hayward. Good price and no worries with provenance.

Never took interest in Parkers but looks good and Subdial is a company I have never heard of before that looks good also.Subdial has an amazing 5513 sub with interesting engraving on the back and a new 321 speedie.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

I've bought from ebay, but only <Ł1K, and been lucky thus far - I wouldn't buy anything pricey or big-name - far too many high quality fakes in circulation which I'm not competent to detect.

Also used C24 which at least offers some degree of reassurance - albeit limited and so far untested. Prices on C24 are often a joke, but I suspect that many dealers use it as a shop window and expect buyers to contact them directly where they can sell without incurring commission and thus offer discounts.

Bought a few watches from here, and even that's a mixed bag - picked up a couple of bargains, but equally got a bit red-misty over things and overpaid a bit: no-one's fault but mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    A lot of these sites have me scratching my head...I'm looking at fairly common watches that are advertised on grey dealer or secondhand dealer sites (chronext, watches.co.uk) for more than the RRP! These are readily available watches that I coukd easily order from any AD brand new for less.

Then there are loads if examples that are 10% discount...easily achievable from dealers. How are they doing business?
    I like to call it the CEX effect.
    (as in CEX the electronics trade in store!)

They sell a used watch for the same price as an AD might sell it brand new, but they'll take your old watch in part exchange making the deal more affordable than going direct to the AD. Then of course they rinse and repeat. A solid business model really, just like CEX who use to sell popular games for more than they cost new on Amazon, but people still bought them because you can't send your old games to Amazon in part exchange!
    (I imagine CEX has probably gone into administration by now, or perhaps is the next stock to rocket to the moon, who knows these days!)

Journeyman
    Chrono24 is the best place to look filtering location on UK, a lot of companies mentioned on this thread are on there. As above can be more effective to go direct!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Just wondering...where else do people go to look for secondhand watches? Both dealers and forums?

Over the years, I think I've become a sleeping member on most watch forums. It was the scam sale on Watchuseek that reminded me years ago I had previously placed an advert over there but being 99% US, I hardly ever visit. I think I've also bought from eBay once before but I would be really hesitant these days for fear if scams and almost exclusively use this forum.
    What an excellent thread - thanks for starting - I hadn't even considered miltons or blowers...

Anyone use any auctions sites - Fellows is the one I think you can trust the most but interested if anyone has used any others?

Master
    I have now used Miltons twice and would not hesitate a third time, I have used Parkers once as they are currently local to me and I would do so again.

I have never used a UK used dealer, other than one (Marksh) that operates here.
    Apart from that I have always bought from forums (here, WUS and a couple of others, usually found using Watch Recon), or Chrono24 (coupler of Italian dealers, one German but mostly private sellers all over the place), Ebay (not so much recently).
    I have also bought from auctions via TheSaleroom, Catawiki and Zoll.
    Some purchases have failed before money changed hands, but so far, touch wood, I have not had a nightmare.
    Some of the Chrono24 dealers are funny. I enquired about the price of one watch in an Italian dealer's inventory, priced at about €1500, suggesting the price was a little steep. He immediately replied that it was worth asking for more, just in case, but he would sell for €900. It didn't give me too warm a feeling, so I made my excuses and left.
    I have similarly contacted a US dealer to buy another, and they realised that the price was wrong so they told me it just sold, and relisted it the next day for $600 more.
    D

Michael Matthews in Bournemouth as local

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    Michael Matthews in Bournemouth as local

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Agreed, bought and sold with them over 10 years now & have always been good to deal with, even accomodating a "change of mind"

Miltons and Parker’s are great to deal with when buying from and selling to.

Journeyman
    Do you know if any of the second hand dealers are open during lockdown by appointment? I think WatchFinder are closed, but watches can be purchased / sent for inspection via a courier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    Do you know if any of the second hand dealers are open during lockdown by appointment? I think WatchFinder are closed, but watches can be purchased / sent for inspection via a courier.
    almost all are operating remote sale. Check their websites.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    WF definitely are working via courier, I’ve sold them a couple of watches recently via courier method - I found no difference in turnaround time than if I’d dropped them off in their Leeds store, so I’d recommend.

Blowers also indicated they were working remotely, but I didn’t sell to them in the end.

As to the WF reputation as low ballers - both watches I’d posted up on SC for the WF buy in price (spirit of the forum and all that), and rapidly lost interest after constant low balling chancer/hoover offers. So off they went to WF for a hassle free sale.

I've never liked watchfinder. Can't put my finger on it... but it's sort of the 'awight mate' service and their historic low bidding.
    They may well have improved but I still avoid them.

Bought and sold to Mike Wood, Haywood, Mark Blowers, Marc here on TZ... although really most of my Rolex came from my AD and most of the rest have come from here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    WF definitely are working via courier, I’ve sold them a couple of watches recently via courier method - I found no difference in turnaround time than if I’d dropped them off in their Leeds store, so I’d recommend.

Blowers also indicated they were working remotely, but I didn’t sell to them in the end.

As to the WF reputation as low ballers - both watches I’d posted up on SC for the WF buy in price (spirit of the forum and all that), and rapidly lost interest after constant low balling chancer/hoover offers. So off they went to WF for a hassle free sale.
    Mirrors my experience. I have sold several watches to WF over the years. As has been said on the forum many times, their prices can be variable...catch them at the right time (perhaps when they don't have stock of your model) and you can get a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I've never liked watchfinder. Can't put my finger on it... but it's sort of the 'awight mate' service and their historic low bidding.
    They may well have improved but I still avoid them.

Bought and sold to Mike Wood, Haywood, Mark Blowers, Marc here on TZ... although really most of my Rolex came from my AD and most of the rest have come from here.
    Interesting you say that, I haven’t heard any mention of Trotters. I would almost put money on the fact that no one from this parish has purchased from them?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    No to Trotters

I use eBay if the photos are high res and the description is ample. None of this “Rolex Submariner. This item is used. Dispatched with Royal Mail Second class post. “ rubbish.

I’m in London and have cultivated a few of the dealers in the antiques markets. The prices are high but if they can get you onto something fresh to the market which no one else has seen that can sometimes pay dividends. Other than that I’ve used to watches of Knightsbridge but obviously with all auctions buyer beware and try to visit and handle first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone here used the escrow service on Chrono24 for a private sale?

Master
    Has any one ever sold a watch to Subdial?

Would be interested to hear any comments, feedback on the experience.

Hi tango, I've sold to them a few times - both outright sales and consignment sales. Their service has been excellent each time. There's more detailed feedback here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=Subdial.co

Just let me know if you have any specific questions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Has anyone here used the escrow service on Chrono24 for a private sale?
    yes
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Has any one ever sold a watch to Subdial?

Would be interested to hear any comments, feedback on the experience.
    I recently asked for a price to sell them some watches. After a week I chased them. They eventually responded offering consignment sale only not to buy. Spoke with someone from there, they were friendly, etc.

Fees for consignment sales are 6.5% plus vat so 8%.

Master
    Thanks for the comments.

TH14TH14 the thread you posted a link to was most helpful.

https://subdial.co/collections/all

No affiliation…..

Sub dial are fast becoming the market leaders for second hand decent watches-

I’ve found them a pleasure to deal with- everyone I know who have dealt with them say the same- excellent service

I've used Oakleigh and had a good experience.

https://www.oakleighwatches.co.uk/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    https://subdial.co/collections/all

No affiliation…..

Sub dial are fast becoming the market leaders for second hand decent watches-

I’ve found them a pleasure to deal with- everyone I know who have dealt with them say the same- excellent service

I’ve bought and sold with Subdial and they’ve been superb and a pleasure to deal with. They also do give very generous valuations on buying.

The 8% commission seems a very low number

Has anyone sold through a commission sale with sub dial? Do they push the seller to lower the sales price to earn easier money or do they keep the original valuation?

Fitzrovia watches, Chris, great guy.
    Chronomaster, Neil, as above.