closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sending watch to U S A

Master
    Blog Entries

Sending watch to U S A

What’s the safest way to send a watch to conus tracked/insured/signed for.Thanks .

Craftsman
    FedEx, DHL, UPS, you'd just need to check on the insurance value and ensure its covered..

I've been using DHL for international postage - a bit pricy but really good service (the tracking is extremely detailed)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks like parcelforce won’t cover watches.

Craftsman
    DHL is in my experience the best for watches over £250 insured. For less, Royal Mail tracked and insured has been okay for me. The last one I sent to the US was £280 but I sent it via Royal Mail and insured it for £250 thinking that if it gets lost I'll cover the difference for the buyer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    I've been using DHL for international postage - a bit pricy but really good service (the tracking is extremely detailed)
    saw this as regards DHL Parcel UK - looks like watches are against policy to carry. Might be worth checking all T&C carefully for international deliveries.

looks like this is a separate company to DHL Express??? Seems confusing

https://send.dhlparcel.co.uk/parcel-...ohibited-items

It is the policy of DHL Parcel UK not to carry any Dangerous Goods, Prohibited
    or Restricted Items or Valuable items.

Dangerous Goods - Anything considered hazardous such as acids, chemicals and certain other substances or articles that can pose a hazard to the health and safety of people or may cause damage to property or the environment (in the event of a leak or spillage). For example any hazardous items specified in the United Nations Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods (“UNRTDG”).Prohibited or Restricted Goods - Items not permitted by national or international law, rule or regulation. These include firearms, weapons, explosives and munitions (including but not limited to replicas, imitations and blank firing pistols), animals, animal parts, livestock, insects, tobacco or tobacco products, and any items the carriage of which could be breaking laws or rules in any country over which the consignment travels.Valuable Goods - Any goods of high value such as bullion, cashiers or travellers cheques, currency, money orders, negotiable instruments in bearer form, credit or debit cards, important documents (including passports, tenders, share and option certificates) stamps, antiques, unprotected furniture, precious stones or metals, artwork, jewellery or valuable items of wear (including occasional wear) designer items (including clothing, watches, shoes and handbags). Precious stones or metals.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th February 2021 at 17:43.

I’m pretty sure that whenever this discussion arises, the conclusion is that no one could claim any one courier will absolutely, definitely cover watches sent abroad in its terms and conditions. At least that’s the conclusion I’ve always come to.

People may have had success sending with courier A, B or C, but I’d want to be certain they had my back if it went wrong, and this is where the grey area is.

You need third party insurance and ship with RM International tracked and traced. Even then, it’s a leap of faith.

Journeyman
    USA resident here- I just had a watch shipped to me from the UAE and it arrived in good condition with DHL. Per the above maybe that was against policy but out of all major carriers I haven’t yet had an issue with DHL.

Craftsman
    I've never had cause....or the high value watch to send anything over £4000. This stuck in my mind. Looks like you're okay with DHL up to £4K insured.

https://parcel.dhl.co.uk/what-you-can-and-cant-send/

WHAT YOU CAN'T SEND

Money, valuables and tax stickers

Antiques, works of art and fine art
    with an individual value over £5,000

Banderols / tax stickers

Bullion
    of any precious metal

Cash and travellers cheques
    Legal tender – bank notes, currency notes, coins

Commemorative coins and medals
    with a total shipment value over £2,000

Jewellery, costume jewellery, watches and objects constructed of precious metal and/or stones
    with a total shipment value over £4,000

Loose precious and semi-precious stones
    Cut or un-cut, polished or un-polished

Blog Entries
    Exactly. I can’t tell if DHL Parcel UK is a different company to DHL Express - they both use the same DHL branding.

https://send.dhlparcel.co.uk/parcel-...ohibited-items

See there list of prohibited items. - it included valuables - specifically “watches”.

https://dhlparcel.co.uk

OP: I would double check with DHL themselves about shipment of watches. The above page says they are prohibited, but other T&C don’t mention watches.

If in doubt buy separate insurance.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th February 2021 at 18:21.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bit of a mine field ,perhaps not worth the trouble.Thanks for the help.

Journeyman
    I live in the USA. Eddie always sends his watches via UPS and I’ve never encountered a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Bought 2 Doxa's in the last couple of years. They use FedEx 2 or 3 day. They may be self insured however over FedEx max coverage. Good tracking at least, but these days signature confirmation seems to be waived.

If your recipient is not a business, can they pick up at a FedEx or UPS center, vs. a home address? That way you would get a signature and POD.

I think your royal mail hands off to the USPS, and is trackable all the way through to delivery, and you get POD. That's the challenge we have here, sending outside the USA with USPS: once it's turned over to the destination country's postal service, tracking ceases, and no POD. In some countries even UPS and FedEx turn local delivery to residential addresses to local contracted carriers.

I've learned the hard way to only flip watches domestically, unfortunately.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    Bought 2 Doxa's in the last couple of years. They use FedEx 2 or 3 day. They may be self insured however over FedEx max coverage. Good tracking at least, but these days signature confirmation seems to be waived.

If your recipient is not a business, can they pick up at a FedEx or UPS center, vs. a home address? That way you would get a signature and POD.

I think your royal mail hands off to the USPS, and is trackable all the way through to delivery, and you get POD. That's the challenge we have here, sending outside the USA with USPS: once it's turned over to the destination country's postal service, tracking ceases, and no POD. In some countries even UPS and FedEx turn local delivery to residential addresses to local contracted carriers.

I've learned the hard way to only flip watches domestically, unfortunately.
    Yes I’m inclined to agree with you.