timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Classic Sinn EZM1 Review

The Classic Sinn EZM1 Review

Here is my in Depth review of Sinn's Classic EZM1

A watch requested by the German ZUZ tactical unit back in 97

https://youtu.be/MJ8AINUr48o

Enjoyed that - thanks!

Nice review, informative and not too long.

Nice review
    If people want to read a little more about the EZM1, Here is my article about it on the Watchgecko Magazine site.
    Andy here (Andy111s) has a ZUZ EZM1 (As well as at least 1 other EZM1 and a ZUZ Tutima like mine, his collection is really impressive).
    You could order solid endlinks with the EZM1, mine came with them (they are stamped 203), but it required what they called the massivarmband for good endlink fit.
    I remember it being one of the real bugbears many people had when the EZM1 LE came out, the fact that they pushed it out with folded endlinks, when they were one of the only faults identified with the original.
    (BTW - The orignal strap offered was shark leather, not crocodile)
    And they did do an extra production of the EZM1 rubber straps, it was organised by the moderator on the WUS Sinn subforum.
    I got a set as my other set had been cut to size and I wanted a pristine set to make a full package.
    The Ar on mine is internal only, and I much prefer it to the watches with inside and out.

Sinn's best watch ever, imho, and still one of their only models to trade at a premium.

Dave

I totally regret selling mine. Unfortunately I needed the money at the time.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    I totally regret selling mine.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Snap.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the sinn story Dave. I really enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Nice review
    If people want to read a little more about the EZM1, Here is my article about it on the Watchgecko Magazine site.
    Andy here (Andy111s) has a ZUZ EZM1 (As well as at least 1 other EZM1 and a ZUZ Tutima like mine, his collection is really impressive).
    You could order solid endlinks with the EZM1, mine came with them (they are stamped 203), but it required what they called the massivarmband for good endlink fit.
    I remember it being one of the real bugbears many people had when the EZM1 LE came out, the fact that they pushed it out with folded endlinks, when they were one of the only faults identified with the original.
    (BTW - The orignal strap offered was shark leather, not crocodile)
    And they did do an extra production of the EZM1 rubber straps, it was organised by the moderator on the WUS Sinn subforum.
    I got a set as my other set had been cut to size and I wanted a pristine set to make a full package.
    The Ar on mine is internal only, and I much prefer it to the watches with inside and out.

Sinn's best watch ever, imho, and still one of their only models to trade at a premium.

Dave
    Thanks for that Dave I remember now it was Shark leather my mistake, I didn't know about the solid end links or that they did a new run of rubber straps
    I keep thinking about remover the AR coating from the out side of the crystal but never got around to doing it but I really should at so point
    As I remember I think its was MarkEg I got the watch from back late 2009 ish but could be wrong .

I fully agree with one in that this is the best watch Sinn has ever made plus it truly incapsulates the EZM philosophy to a tee

Ps great article Dave

Master
    I wince every time I see mention of an EZM-1. There's been many watches I've longed for in my time since joining this forum - some of which I've ended up owning and some of them not; but the EZM-1 is the one I'd truly refer to as a 'grail' watch for me, ever since seeing one belonging to Peter (pipedreamer - don't see him round these parts much anymore) at a Sussex GTG, maybe 10-ish years ago?

Took a while for the seed to grow, and by the time it had I'd decided it had to be one of the 250 LE's just to make things even more difficult for myself, which I only became aware of a few years after they'd gone on sale and were therefore already pretty scarce.

After the longest hunt I did eventually find one which I flew to Denmark to meet the original owner and buy from him; but then for some reason I can't really explain I sold it again on here not so long after, and really, REALLY wish I hadn't. I did try tracking it down some time later with huge seller's regret, but it disappeared off the forum. Some things there's just no rational explanation for.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Thanks for that Dave I remember now it was Shark leather my mistake, I didn't know about the solid end links or that they did a new run of rubber straps
    I keep thinking about remover the AR coating from the out side of the crystal but never got around to doing it but I really should at so point
    As I remember I think its was MarkEg I got the watch from back late 2009 ish but could be wrong .

I fully agree with one in that this is the best watch Sinn has ever made plus it truly incapsulates the EZM philosophy to a tee

Ps great article Dave
    Like you (in the video) I spend the whole time wiping the surface of external AR watches, they just show every mark and fingerprint.
    And to be honest, I can see why external AR is needed on a flat crystal, as it stops a large bright reflection occuring.
    But on a dome like the EZM1?
    No need, so I am glad the original owner of mine asked Sinn to remove it, or did it himself.
    Thanks, by the way.
    As I say in the article, the EZM1 is my "the one" watch, the one to keep if all the others had to go.
    We need Andy to pop up with his ones now. He certainly used to wear an EZM1 every day, for everything. Paging Andy!

D

Master
    He certainly used to wear an EZM1 every day, for everything. Paging Andy!

D
    Including a week-long mountain race from North to South Wales - I spotted him wearing it :)

:D Yeah that was a good spot G, and yup it's something I use for all my events:

---

I admit I have a thing for them - it's the watch that takes the Lemania 5100 to its illogical conclusion, adding simplicity and taking out anything decorative or shiny. The Benrus Type 1 was also a watch made by specification for military use, it too reduces things to their essentials [left]. The full blown L5100 in the Lorenz [center] is still very readable, but skimming things down gets such great clarity - such as here in the SAAF [right]:

Bazza wraps things up far better than me in the great video, if you've passed muster with Dave then you know you've started to know things well! :D

Here are the two issue ZUZ watches, both on their original straps [type at least!]:

And the 'boys':

Hi Andy
    I'd forgotten your tally was up tp 3, but you have the ZUZ, an LE and an original Ar. Very nice.
    When are you tracking down a ZTZ ?????

Dave

Wow Mr Andy I like your ZUZ dial thats very impressive Sir ,it must be a very low serial number
    Before I do another video on the watch I should contact you it looks like, great collection chap

Hi Andy
    I'd forgotten your tally was up tp 3, but you have the ZUZ, an LE and an original Ar. Very nice.
    When are you tracking down a ZTZ ?????

Dave
    Ha - well, I've been looking for a good 3H for ages, so a ZTZ may be a stretch and Colin & Dave from MWR aren't likely to be selling I reckon!

Wow Mr Andy I like your ZUZ dial thats very impressive Sir ,it must be a very low serial number
    Before I do another video on the watch I should contact you it looks like, great collection chap
    It's actually 503.0169; as far as I can see the numbering is quite haphazard although the tendency is lower - the provenance with this one is direct and I've seen other ZUZ's in the .130's and regular 3H's in the .080's. The 50 [+?] Japanese models also seem to be roughly spread out. It would be easy to imagine a first mixed up batch of 0-200 cases being the source of both civilian 3H, issue ZUZ and eastern market ZUZ's.

bazza - I would always defer to Dave on such matters anyway[!] but it's great to see a decent review out there.

Nice review
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

And then as if by magic, one pops up shortly after this thread!

Probably won't get it for a while as it's a convoluted routing but looking forward to seeing it.

[Seller pic]

[SELs too I think...]

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s View Post
    And then as if by magic, one pops up shortly after this thread!

Probably won't get it for a while as it's a convoluted routing but looking forward to seeing it.

[Seller pic]

[SELs too I think...]
    That the one from Italy?

Yes....:holds breath:...

Glad someone bought it. Stops me looking! That looks a very nice one indeed.

There's no hope for some people.....

There's no hope for some people.....
    I know, it's silly really, I did give it sufficient consideration though as I did genuinely swither between this and a Lemania AMI or a Zenith A277, both of which are in the same ball park in price & interest.

I just polish the AR coating from the crystal and does like a load better for it I think

Look forward to pics.

Dave
    The fortunate thing about the LE is that the 103 Ti bracelet fits perfectly. No more rattles!

Does mean I have a spare bracelet with folded end links, though. I haven't quite brought myself to sell it as it's sort of part of the set
    Last edited by Dr Wolff; 23rd February 2021 at 22:02.

Understandably we all have a fascination for and romanticise the Lemania 5100 but the EZM 1.1 LE is an improvement.
    The bigger size and heft works better for me and the tweaked 7750 is a more robust and easier to repair. The reissue LE
    has had a problem since the day I bought it and I have procrastinated over sending it for repair for years.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Understandably we all have a fascination for and romanticise the Lemania 5100 but the EZM 1.1 LE is an improvement.
    The bigger size and heft works better for me and the tweaked 7750 is a more robust and easier to repair. The reissue LE
    has had a problem since the day I bought it and I have procrastinated over sending it for repair for years.
    The robustness bit is just not true, and the repair aspect is simply one of spares availability rather than movement features.
    Not an issue with a Sinn, they can do it.
    The 7750 failed all sorts of function tests (mostly related to shocks interrupting the operation of the chronograph) that the 5100 passed. That is why the 5100 was used in all the last generation of mechanical chronographs issued, the Bund ones by pd, Arctos, Tengler, and Tutima. The 5100 has always been reliable.

Using the base 7750 architecture to graft in the central minutes that the 5100 was designed for doesn't make it any more robust, reliable, or better.

Plus, maintaining the EZM1 is easy, send it to Sinn. They did mine last year, and will have spares for ages to come. Why mither about it?

There were a few reported issues with the 1 LE where it seems they didn't trim the stem to the correct length, and once the crown had been screwed in a few times, the pressure it exerted n the movement impaired the winding and power reserve. Those issues were mostly fixed under warranty for free, as I recall (although I have only ever owned a 1, not a 1 LE, so this is reported stuff, not my experience).

The market has already decided which they prefer. The 1 trades at a massive premium over cost, the 1.1 trades at a loss, and for less than the original, despite costing more than double when it was released. In fact examples of the 1.1 remained unsold for years after its release, as I said in the article.

D

Its true my LE came with the folded end link so I just got a set EZM2 end links as
    I remember and filed the back of the centre link down and got them to fit

The robustness bit is just not true, and the repair aspect is simply one of spares availability rather than movement features.
    Not an issue with a Sinn, they can do it.
    The 7750 failed all sorts of function tests (mostly related to shocks interrupting the operation of the chronograph) that the 5100 passed. That is why the 5100 was used in all the last generation of mechanical chronographs issued, the Bund ones by pd, Arctos, Tengler, and Tutima. The 5100 has always been reliable.

Using the base 7750 architecture to graft in the central minutes that the 5100 was designed for doesn't make it any more robust, reliable, or better.

Plus, maintaining the EZM1 is easy, send it to Sinn. They did mine last year, and will have spares for ages to come. Why mither about it?

There were a few reported issues with the 1 LE where it seems they didn't trim the stem to the correct length, and once the crown had been screwed in a few times, the pressure it exerted n the movement impaired the winding and power reserve. Those issues were mostly fixed under warranty for free, as I recall (although I have only ever owned a 1, not a 1 LE, so this is reported stuff, not my experience).

The market has already decided which they prefer. The 1 trades at a massive premium over cost, the 1.1 trades at a loss, and for less than the original, despite costing more than double when it was released. In fact examples of the 1.1 remained unsold for years after its release, as I said in the article.

D
    An iconic micro brand owner once said- “ My former watch repairer always said it was cheap, fragile and had plastic parts. He was a great watch repairer BTW.” I am sorry but I don’t remember his name. Teddie? Teddie Pants? Or Eddie Platts? Something like that.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 24th February 2021 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    An iconic micro brand owner once said- “ My former watch repairer always said it was cheap, fragile and had plastic parts. He was a great watch repairer BTW.” I am sorry but I don’t remember his name. Teddie? Teddie Pants? Or Eddie Platts? Something like that.
    Great. I have given you a few facts about the robustness and maintainability, and you have responded with a reported 2nd hand opinion. Well done.

Great. I have given you a few facts about the robustness and maintainability, and you have responded with a reported 2nd hand opinion. Well done.
    Relax! Just playing.
    Lemaniais has a reputation for robustness and a storied history but the opinion on the Internet is divided between die hard fans and naysayers. I have only two with this movement and may be I have been unlucky but my experience has been mixed.

I just polish the AR coating from the crystal and does like a load better for it I think

Nice job, does indeed look better

Quote Originally Posted by kazino View Post
    Nice job, does indeed look better
    Congratulations you got to 50 posts. what are you going to do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Congratulations you got to 50 posts. what are you going to do now?
    Edit: Sorry, Ignore that - just see he's been flytipping in every single thread - looks like an account hijack
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 9th March 2021 at 19:46. Reason: derp!

Well Bazza. You know your video prompted another search for me and I landed lucky. Such a fantastic watch, wearing mine today! Slow down with your videos mate, it’s becoming expensive. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Well Bazza. You know your video prompted another search for me and I landed lucky. Such a fantastic watch, wearing mine today! Slow down with your videos mate, it’s becoming expensive. ;)

Very nice Sinn you have there Mr Gav and by the way that made me laugh matey :)