closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiding watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    What if you can't remember where the hidden location that the safe is in ? Then you're ****ed !
    What if you forget you had a safe?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Someone I know has £30k buried in their back garden garden. Not a criminal and not dodgy money, just quite backwards in his thinking, doesn't trust banks and is scared in case he ever gets divorced one day. Insanity.
    Then the notes get updated and the £30k is obsolete. Better to buy gold coins. (OK, you can present your obsolete notes to the Bank of England for redemption, but then £30ks worth would be problematic).

Burying things in the garden then forgetting where seems quite common.

Sir Malcolm Campbell buried all of his car racing trophies etc in his garden at the start of WW2 when invasion was threatened.

He spent the rest of his life digging up his garden trying to find them but never did - must have been a damn big garden...

Regards

Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    What if you forget you had a safe?
    Then you will also have forgotten that you have watches that you have hidden. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Then you will also have forgotten that you have watches that you have hidden. Problem solved.
    What if you forget where your house is that the safe is bolted in to that your watches are in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I think Malcolm Cambells trophies would have been easily found with a metal detector,if not by him certainly someone else if common knowledge he actually did that.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Keeping the marriage intact
    LOL! Until recently, all my watches were black dial dive watches, which all look the same to my wife. Over our decades of marriage, I think she accepts that I, quite unnecessarily, have owned the 2 same watches.

If she had any idea how many watches I have owned ....

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I think Malcolm Cambells trophies would have been easily found with a metal detector,if not by him certainly someone else if common knowledge he actually did that.
    Died in 1948, doubt he could have had a metal detector.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    May sound like a silly question, but why hide it?
    I once left a couple of watches (that's why I think SHE thinks that's all I have) out on my dresser, along with a steel cased Swiss Army pocket knife, and my keys (on a Damasko ice hardened key ring).

At some point during the that day, my wide decided to dust ... and grabbed all the above, in one handful, deposited them somewhere while she dusted the dresser, then repeated.

The horror of discovering that jumbled pile if metal!

The only "damage" was a very noticeable scratch on an otherwise pristine, just a week or so old, watch I had decided to flip. Too deep to polish out.

Lesson learned: keep them ... safely ... out of site.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    10/10 hahaha

About 4 years ago I had gone to visit my Dad who had altzheimers and I stayed the night, something I did regularly.
    Sometime during the night he came into my room (He had little concept of night and day and was often mooching around at odd hours) and swiped all my loose change and watch which i had left on a bedside table.
    There was no point pursuing it he wouldn't remember and would have been convinced the watch was his anyway.
    It wasn't amazingly expensive, a Christopher Ward C5 Aviator.
    I just kept an eye out on all future visits in case he was wearing it.
    I never saw it again until last summer when I was clearing out his house after he died, I opened a box to find my grandfather's war medals and army paybook and my grandfather's (very basic) watch, a few photos, and amongst it all was my watch..
    I sat on the bed and had a little moment thinking about my dad and his dad and wondering what was going on his head when he stashed my watch away.
    The CW is still in the box with the other stuff which I have now stashed away in my house, it just seems appropriate to leave it there.

Stories like this always remind me of the Newman Daytona found down the back of and old sofa purchased from a thrift store for $25!

Yes this watch..

Last edited by murkeywaters; 8th February 2021 at 00:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    About 4 years ago I had gone to visit my Dad who had altzheimers and I stayed the night, something I did regularly.
    Sometime during the night he came into my room (He had little concept of night and day and was often mooching around at odd hours) and swiped all my loose change and watch which i had left on a bedside table.
    There was no point pursuing it he wouldn't remember and would have been convinced the watch was his anyway.
    It wasn't amazingly expensive, a Christopher Ward C5 Aviator.
    I just kept an eye out on all future visits in case he was wearing it.
    I never saw it again until last summer when I was clearing out his house after he died, I opened a box to find my grandfather's war medals and army paybook and my grandfather's (very basic) watch, a few photos, and amongst it all was my watch..
    I sat on the bed and had a little moment thinking about my dad and his dad and wondering what was going on his head when he stashed my watch away.
    The CW is still in the box with the other stuff which I have now stashed away in my house, it just seems appropriate to leave it there.
    Must admit, i got a bit emotional reading this (perhaps triggered by having just lost a close family member myself).
    In my view, he actually added value to your CW, as it's now a sort of semi-heritage piece, worn/owned/looked after by your late father

Journeyman
    After reading this thread I have spent some time wandering around the house looking for new cunning spots to stash things. Being a new build there aren’t many so I’d need to get creative if I wanted have another decent hide. I’d probably also need to come up with a treasure map and clues in case I forget where it is or I croak it. It’s amazing how quickly a little project can grow arms and legs.

Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    After reading this thread I have spent some time wandering around the house looking for new cunning spots to stash things. Being a new build there aren’t many so I’d need to get creative if I wanted have another decent hide. I’d probably also need to come up with a treasure map and clues in case I forget where it is or I croak it. It’s amazing how quickly a little project can grow arms and legs.
    Hollow stud walls? Cut a small hole into the plasterboard behind a picture frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Hollow stud walls? Cut a small hole into the plasterboard behind a picture frame?

A friend was told by the police that some burglars come prepared with metal detectors, so even inside a drywall is not safe.
    Before i started hiring safety deposit boxes in a bank, i used to hide my watches in the ceiling, by taking off the ceiling lights & inside the hole above. Lights are made of metal, so even these burglars wouldn't possibly suspect stash hidden there i'd imagine

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    A friend was told by the police that some burglars come prepared with metal detectors, so even inside a drywall is not safe
    I don't think that is common and surely would be only something a burglar would have inside knowledge that the owner puts expensive items in the wall.

Would be a lot of hard work too, lots of new builds have metal frame studding, every board is put up with dozens of screws/nails, add in pipe work, electric cables and the overall EMI of a house and the detector would be going crazy, I know I have several top end detectors.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Died in 1948, doubt he could have had a metal detector.
    Thats why I said " If not by him".But if common knowledge Im guessing they were easily found.

Not up on when metal detectors were available.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 8th February 2021 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Thats why I said " If not by him".But if common knowledge Im guessing they were easily found.

Not up on when metal detectors were available.
    Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    Must admit, i got a bit emotional reading this (perhaps triggered by having just lost a close family member myself).
    In my view, he actually added value to your CW, as it's now a sort of semi-heritage piece, worn/owned/looked after by your late father
    Thank you.
    That is exactly how I feel about it.
    I aim to try and wear it on significant dates, like his birtday and the anniversary of his death which will be April 8th. It certainly provides a connection to him for me.

My condolences for your loss. I hope you have something to remember your family member by, These types of items can become very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Thank you.
    That is exactly how I feel about it.
    I aim to try and wear it on significant dates, like his birtday and the anniversary of his death which will be April 8th. It certainly provides a connection to him for me.

My condolences for your loss. I hope you have something to remember your family member by, These types of items can become very important.
    Thank you; it was my godmother, and now that i think about it, i got my first watch from her. I must have been like 8-ish, when she gifted me a cheap 7 melody digital watch :) Which of course no longer exists. But plenty of other things to remember her by.

When i read stories like people inheriting nice watches, I always turn green. Having grown up in eastern Europe, everyone wore Soviet watches, including my dad (a TV screen Raketa). But even that's gone, he pawned it off when times turned difficult. My point is, I can have all the nice watches, but none of them have such a strong sentimental value as if it had been worn by someone close to me.

So make sure to treasure it forever! :)

Sorry about the off topic

Craftsman
    Thread resurrection , I’ve found my sea-dweller . I might be going skiing on Monday so I dug out my clobber and found it in one of my boots , so ,so happy .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Many congrats- that was a decent hiding spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Thread resurrection , I’ve found my sea-dweller . I might be going skiing on Monday so I dug out my clobber and found it in one of my boots , so ,so happy .

Excellent outcome!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

That must have been a very very pleasant surprise!

Master

Fantastic
    Great feeling I bet.

I've just read the entire thread from the start, an enjoyable read and reassuring to know that others are as crazy as I am.

Congrats on relocating your Sea Dweller, sounds like you'd better take it skiing with you...just in case

Master
    in late 1989 I thought my Rolex GMT had been nicked by one of the plasterers my landlord had contracted to fix a roof that had collapsed in the living room following a leak in the flat one floor up. Then a few weeks later I went to get a tissue out of one of those cube-shaped tissue boxes, and out came a Rolex! God, that was a happy moment. I hadn't even intended to hide it, just wanted to put it down somewhere it wouldn't get scratched.

What a relief. Did the same a Seiko recently but would have lost sleep over a SeaDweller.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    in late 1989 I thought my Rolex GMT had been nicked by one of the plasterers my landlord had contracted to fix a roof that had collapsed in the living room following a leak in the flat one floor up. Then a few weeks later I went to get a tissue out of one of those cube-shaped tissue boxes, and out came a Rolex! God, that was a happy moment. I hadn't even intended to hide it, just wanted to put it down somewhere it wouldn't get scratched.

Winding up the GMT-Master probably killed two birds with one stone, then..............

My father bought and hid 2 small diamonds in his flat about 10yrs ago. (I only mention it here as I advised him to buy a Rolex Sub as better investment).

Intention was as an inheritance for my Son, but I asked about them recently and he was struggling to remember if he hid them or sold them. They were sellotaped underneath a drawer at one point, but we could not see them recently.
    And if sold, he is not sure where the cash is…

He’s 83, and starting to repeat a lot of stories/forget that he’s already told me something etc etc so am not sure if we will find them anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Mrs Kitz can’t remember where she hid her Cartier , the saga continues …..I bought the builders a bottle of whiskey each last Christmas , in my wildest dreams I didn’t think I might do it twice …

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    My father bought and hid 2 small diamonds in his flat about 10yrs ago. (I only mention it here as I advised him to buy a Rolex Sub as better investment).

Intention was as an inheritance for my Son, but I asked about them recently and he was struggling to remember if he hid them or sold them. They were sellotaped underneath a drawer at one point, but we could not see them recently.
    And if sold, he is not sure where the cash is…

He’s 83, and starting to repeat a lot of stories/forget that he’s already told me something etc etc so am not sure if we will find them anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I’m currently trying to buy a flat to refurbish, the old guy is in a home now but was told he is notorious for stashing cash in hard to find places, I had a second viewing recently and his family have been in searching for his hiding places, it looks like it’s been burgled!

Master
    I moved into to my present house in 1982 and I owned a beautifully crafted money belt. A few days after moving in I decided to hide it somewhere and even until this day I have never located it. I hardly lose anything but this continues to irritate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I moved into to my present house in 1982 and I owned a beautifully crafted money belt. A few days after moving in I decided to hide it somewhere and even until this day I have never located it. I hardly lose anything but this continues to irritate me.
    Was there money in it? if so I guess its out of currency now - or was there a Rolex in it!

A money belt. Absolute lol.

Master
    Whilst my father was alive he had accumulated some gold and had hidden it.
    Unfortunately after he was killed in an accident my Mum had no ideas as to where it might have been.
    Never found and has since moved home…..

Master

Hum I have an idea

Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

I was sorting out my Rolex and Patek boxes recently, and I realised I'm short of one box (for my Explorer 1) and short of the warranty card for my Hulk (the last time I saw this was when I took it into the AD 6 years ago). Getting my wife involved in the search, should increase our chances.

Good news you have found your ski-dweller!

I’ve hidden a watch in the house and now I can’t find it . Five months so far , that’s beaten my previous record ...... !

How big is your house?

I don't know why, but this whole thread reminds me of the time author Graeme Greene, while cleaning his attic, found a novel he had forgotten writing...

Did you claim it as lost on your insurance ? That could get a bit awkward

Before I had my safe, and only had two expensive watches, a Sub and a Speedy, I hollowed out a very thick and out of date Linux manual. I created a cavity in which to store the watch I wasn't wearing. It was wrapped in a microfibre cloth and popped into the hole. The book was then "hidden in plain sight" on one of my bookshelves on which there were other, large, very dull, computer manuals. Fortunately its efficacy was never put to the test.

It took quite a while to cut and trim the hole, despite using a stanley knife. Paper is tough stuff and I remember it taking a couple of blades. It wasn't the neatest but it worked, and from the outside you could not tell the book was altered, even though it was a paperback.

A previous poster mentioned that police told a friend of his that some burglars come equipped with metal detectors, to locate items hidden in walls. Now that may have happen at some point in the history of burglary, but it has the whiff of being an urban myth. The vast majority of burglaries are completed in minutes, without metal detectors. How do I know? 12 years prosecuting the scrotes in the CPS and that experience has given me a particular loathing for them.

if you are a true tz-er though you need to cunningly stash not only the watches, but the boxes too. any burglar who finds a bunch of rolex boxes is going to know the watches are around somewhere. what about those who had the speedmaster in the enormous presentation box? what do they do?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    if you are a true tz-er though you need to cunningly stash not only the watches, but the boxes too. any burglar who finds a bunch of rolex boxes is going to know the watches are around somewhere. what about those who had the speedmaster in the enormous presentation box? what do they do?
    Bought another house to store?? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Last year I was in the airport on the way to Barbados and had that thought that what if we didn't come home.
    Where the watches were hidden likely wouldn't be found so I text my sister from the airport giving their whereabouts.
    It only confirmed her suspicions that I was nuts.
    Not so nutty, my colleague's dad has given his kids envelopes to be opened in the event of his death with details of all his investments and valuables, including the estimated values and where they can be found. I keep meaning to do the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Not so nutty, my colleague's dad has given his kids envelopes to be opened in the event of his death with details of all his investments and valuables, including the estimated values and where they can be found. I keep meaning to do the same!
    Shouldn't he just have a proper will drawn up with this information?

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    Just throw them in the bin. It's only a box; the watch is the important thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Just throw them in the bin. It's only a box; the watch is the important thing...
    Maybe but some people like having full set including packaging etc.