closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A new RFU Bremont

Master

A new RFU Bremont

Just had an e-mail about this 'limited edition' Bremont. So so looks, silly price. Its really hard to see any link between it and the RFU!
    But what amazes me is that 20 years ago, I had a £20 Lorus which looked EXACTLY the same. Even had a similar looking bracelet! Probably more accurate than the Bremont as well....
    No, I don't still have it!!!

Craftsman
    As they are the official timekeeper to English rugby and Twickenham you wouldn’t think there would be many of the 150 watches left after they get their cut.

https://www.bremont.com/collections/...oducts/rfu-150

As a Welshman living in Scotland I can't imagine a worse watch

Its not a looker is it?
    Same colour scheme as the 'Commander Bond' Seamaster.
    It is an improvement on the previous Tag Heuer RFU branded watches which were dull in the extreme with the rose emblem on the dial that looked awful.

But... If you're buying that watch you will donate a laptop to a child that needs one.

Alternatively, if you give the watch money to Barnardos they will know what to do with it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It says it has a chronograph movement. Where are the registers? If it's a central minutes totaliser then that's really something to announce, but the hand looks like a seconds hand.

Looks to also be a monopusher? Another thing to announce if it is.

Money's on they meant to write 'chronometer'.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 4th February 2021 at 12:45.

Makes me think of the mountain climber They sponsored and gave a diver's watch to.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It says it has a chronograph movement. Where are the registers? If it's a central minutes totaliser then that's really something to announce, but the hand looks like a seconds hand.

The Bremont marketing department is at it again

I am sure the He valve with be of some use. Necessary no doubt for a watch rated to 50 atm, but was it necessary on a watch meant to celebrate the RFU's 150th anniversary? Likewise for the GMT. But the combination of the 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

I am sure the He valve with be of some use. Necessary no doubt for a watch rated to 50 atm, but was it necessary on a watch meant to celebrate the RFU's 150th anniversary? Likewise for the GMT. But the combination of the 2?
    Oh so is that what it is at 2 o'clock? I thought it might be a screw down chrono pusher, but a helium escape valve does totally fit with it not actually being a chronograph.

Disappointing! I had hopes they might've done something rather exciting which was flying under their marketing department's radar.

More suited to the FA. Plenty of examples of people taking dives there!

Oh so is that what it is at 2 o'clock? I thought it might be a screw down chrono pusher, but a helium escape valve does totally fit with it not actually being a chronograph.

Disappointing! I had hopes they might've done something rather exciting which was flying under their marketing department's radar.
    I really wish you were right. THAT would be a watch I would have considered (well, not the RFU one, obviously , but a future one using the same calibre)

Master
    Will it not have the fibres from some famous player's sweaty jockstrap embedded in the case? Perhaps the strap could be made from some of that bandage they use to keep their ears on their heads.

Some really need to find something better to do with their time.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to post the movement image. Hopefully Bremont will correct the description.

I got the email yesterday and automatically deleted it without actually reading it. I’m kicking myself now! Wrong on so many levels that’s it’s actually genuinely funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I often try and visualise a Venn diagram, displaying the overlap between the anti Rolex, anti Bremont, anti Christopher Ward brigade...😀

Much correlation?

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I often try and visualise a Venn diagram, displaying the overlap between the anti Rolex, anti Bremont, anti Christopher Ward brigade...

Much correlation?
    Yup. That intersecting area is called ‘miserable existence’:-)

its not a chronograph, its a GMT Supermarine diver. The crown is at 2 o'clock, the HEV is integrated in to the case at 9 o'clock.

The quality will be very, very good as are all Bremont, I don't think its the best looking Supermarine they make,I find the colours quite garish. I would like to try a Supermarine as a regular wearer one day.

Every time.

But... If you're buying that watch you will donate a laptop to a child that needs one.

Alternatively, if you give the watch money to Barnardos they will know what to do with it.
    The Barnardos scheme for laptops looks to apply to all, or nearly all watch purchases on the Bremont website.

I haven’t checked if it applies to every watch, I did check a few different models to check that it applied.
    Last edited by gbn13; 4th February 2021 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Every time.
    Can apply to more than one brand. The regulars here are so predictable- including myself. My only grouse is newer members are getting caught in it and indulging in similar behaviour to get a feeling of ‘belonging’.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    its not a chronograph, its a GMT Supermarine diver. The crown is at 2 o'clock, the HEV is integrated in to the case at 9 o'clock.
    I believe the He valve is at 8 o'clock.

I believe the He valve is at 8 o'clock.
    It might well be, other Supermarines have the HEV at 9.

Why, oh why?

Perhaps I'm not their target market for LEs, but this just cheapens their brand. A brand most of us really want to succeed. But not like this.

England RFU merchandise up until now has been relatively cheap and cheerful. Currently the RFU watch is down from £30 to £10.40.

Then this lands, with a comparatively massive price tag! Knock a thousand off and sell it as a non-LE and you might have a hit. Perhaps "LE" is a sign of a lack of confidence.

Bremont - I don't think your marketing team are doing you any favours, and risk you becoming a laughing stock, potentially threatening wider sales, as per Tag. So please don't shoot yourself in the foot. Just focus on banging out some fresh and tough watches, and devote the hours spent on dreaming up some pretty crass LEs on your in-house movement instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It might well be, other Supermarines have the HEV at 9.
    I do not doubt this, but that is the position it appeared on the 3D tour.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I often try and visualise a Venn diagram, displaying the overlap between the anti Rolex, anti Bremont, anti Christopher Ward brigade...

Much correlation?
    Now that sounds like a fun new game! Where do I sit on the various scales??? I am rather anti-Bremont, not anti CW but not a fan, and whilst I'm not anti-Rolex, I certainly detest all the BS that the brand has become associated with. So a fair degree of correlation....
    We could try the same thing with 3 other random brands!

Not for me, but then I don't think the TZ crowd are generally the market for Bremont anyway which is why the threads always seem to end the same way. Went into a watch store with my colleague once. Whilst I was looking at Longines, he went straight for Bremont and was really taken by some dreadful Jaguar model that was meant to look like a speedometer. There will be many people out there that love this model.

Craftsman
    Yet another dive watch. I have gone off dive watches recently, as there are just far too many of them around. It is the bevel that I mainly dislike - I feel that without it you would be able to have a bigger, integrated dial, for a cleaner look. And let’s face it, the vast majority of dive watches come no closer to water than washing the dishes. A helium valve on this RFU tie-in is just laughable.

Master
    In other news I had to google "RFU"

Can apply to more than one brand. The regulars here are so predictable- including myself. My only grouse is newer members are getting caught in it and indulging in similar behaviour to get a feeling of ‘belonging’.
    Guilty as charged. Mostly weaned myself off of Rolex threads, now just Bremont to go...

I can't help but feel you're projecting onto the new members Raj - maybe, they just don't like the watch?

Master
    I was half expecting there to be a fragment of Jonny Wilkinsons' sock in the back. I'm so disappointed.

Bremont ? Limited Edition ?

Get away.....

Journeyman
    As an American, I like rugby just fine. I prefer it to American football that’s for sure. I just can’t imagine buying a watch commemorating it.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfury View Post
    As an American, I like rugby just fine. I prefer it to American football that’s for sure. I just can’t imagine buying a watch commemorating it.
    It's not just rugby. It's Rugby England...

Journeyman
    May be a nice sales boost this evening from those in Scotland, nice momento and fitting that’s it’s in blue!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oconnorp View Post
    May be a nice sales boost this evening from those in Scotland, nice momento and fitting that’s it’s in blue!

We usually just go for the turf and the goalposts.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    We usually just go for the turf and the goalposts.
    Haha very good!

You’ll be breaking out the good stuff tonight - enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Makes me think of the mountain climber They sponsored and gave a diver's watch to.
    The recent “ Winter” attempt and successful climb of K2 appeared to have some Bremont sponsorship, as a Bremont flag appeared in the TV news footage.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Would that be a bad choice? What watch would be appropriate for a severe mountain climb then?
    Would you have picked another watch from the Bremont range?
    Genuine questions.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Would that be a bad choice? What watch would be appropriate for a severe mountain climb then?
    Genuine questions.
    You need a tool watch that will resist impacts, for the spirit (as you're unlikely to keep the watch when you play). Most tool watches will do. Bremont is exclusively tool watch, so any watch would have served the purpose. The watch chosen has 2 extra features, the GMT function with is hardly relevant and the He valve with is totally pointless so yes, I would probably have chosen a different watch. Like a chronograph, possibly?

Genuine questions.
    Limited Edition of the U2 with maybe a bit of Sherpa hair in the case?

Quote Originally Posted by oconnorp View Post
    Haha very good!

You’ll be breaking out the good stuff tonight - enjoy!

Our best start to the 6N yet, I think.......

But - not such ‘edge of the seat’ as the recovery from 31 down!

Cheers!

Genuine questions.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app
    A Favre Leuba Bivouac with barometer/altimeter?

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1...nt=46037402447