closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing AR on Seamaster Ceramic with cape cod - should I worry about bezel?

Journeyman

Removing AR on Seamaster Ceramic with cape cod - should I worry about bezel?

Hi. I had another thread around marks on my watch glass that are due to AR, consensus was to just remove the external AR. I know there are a myriad of different ways to do this, but as I already have a cape cod cloth I'll just use that (I know it'll take a while!).

Should I be worried about the ceramic bezel? I've no idea if the cloth would have any effect on that at all when I'm doing the edges? Or is the only option to cover it with electrical tape or such like?

Apologies if this is a stupid question!

Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    Hi. I had another thread around marks on my watch glass that are due to AR, consensus was to just remove the external AR. I know there are a myriad of different ways to do this, but as I already have a cape cod cloth I'll just use that (I know it'll take a while!).

Should I be worried about the ceramic bezel? I've no idea if the cloth would have any effect on that at all when I'm doing the edges? Or is the only option to cover it with electrical tape or such like?

Apologies if this is a stupid question!
    I would cover in tape just to be safe, not sorry.

Master
    Definitely mask all round the edge of the crystal which is a bit awkward with the curved shape.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Definitely mask all round the edge of the crystal which is a bit awkward with the curved shape.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Take a roll of insulating tape, run a sharp scalpel or craft knife blade down the middle of the outer layer, then peel off a strip that’s half width. This will mould and stretch very easily to follow the curvature, I do this often. I find yellow tape easiest for seeing and applying accurately.

Solvol autosol, or similar metal polish, will work faster than cape cod for removing the AR coat, but it’ll still be a slow job.

Not a suggestion but a question-within-a-question as I want to do this with my Sinn U1 at some point: assuming the bezel is steel and uncoated, and the crystal is sapphire, could you use a brass brush on a Dremel to get most of the AR coating off more quickly, then finish the edges carefully with the appropriate compound?