closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedbird 3 delayed

Speedbird 3 delayed

It won't be available on Monday as planned because it's being returned for new dials to be printed. It wasn't until I was taking pictures for the website yesterday afternoon and working with images 3000 pixels wide that a printing fault became obvious.

The hour numbers have been printed 0.15mm off-centre to the right and this is most obvious with the "3" and the "9". The dial is printed in 3 stages:

1. Minute chapter
    2. Luminous
    3. Hour numbers

The first two are perfect, the hour numbers are not. Now 0.15mm doesn't sound a lot but it means that the 3 is 0.15mm closer to the luminous index marker than it should be and the 9 is 0.3mm further away from the luminous index marker than the 3 is from its marker. I almost went cross-eyed trying to work out what was wrong with the dial but now that I've told you, I think you will instantly see that it's not correct.

Unless I want to say that it's a limited edition with "stealth numbering", there's no alternative but to get new dials printed and fitted. I have no idea how long this will take although I do hope that the German company with 80 years experience of dial manufacturing will appreciate the urgency.

"Frustrating" doesn't even come close. :evil:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries

Re: Speedbird 3 delayed

Bullshit. Sometimes life sucks, doesn't it?

Master

I see it now - great attention to detail. Frustrating, but in a watch that many will own for a good number of years a few days/weeks won't hurt - too much!

Ah, the touch of a true perfectionist. We can wait. :D

I can imagine that this is very frustrating for you Eddie,

however every Timefactors' customer is happy with your attention to detail.....

and your regulars now that a good thing is well worth the wait.....

(think of the DN.... the CAF and I am not mentioning Paul Newman :twisted: )

So Í'll just sit on the money and wait for the moment that you're satisfied with the Speedbird III

anyway.... do still enjoy your weekend!

Jeroen

Master

Amazing attention to detail :shock:

Wow! I wouldn't have believed it without seeing it, but that 0.15mm offset makes so much difference to the balance of the dial.

Also, just noticed the 'Great Britain' on the dial.

Thomas Reid

Sorry to hear this Eddie. I don't know how many dials I've redone because of errors like this.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Always better to make it proper once! Now lean back and enjoy the weekend!

Cheerio, Frank

Master

Should have taken the Doxa route Eddie and said it was a 'Design Feature' :D :D

Master

Sorry to hear it Eddie, but credit to you for spotting this before it went out to the customers :thumbright:

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Sorry to hear this Eddie. I don't know how many dials I've redone because of errors like this.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I'm sure you have Bob,although you don't have laser positioning equipment which is supposed to eliminate errors like this. It slipped through the dial manufacturer and the watch manufacturer as well.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

That is great attention to detail, so much so the slight faults would have become collectors pieces in their own right, something like an imperfect stamp, I certainly wouldn't have noticed without it being pointed out, in this day and age of "It will do" its refreshing to see such stringent quality control, that's what makes these watches worth the extra wait and so sought after.

Thank you Eddie, you must be so frustrated and disappointed.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    It won't be available on Monday as planned because it's being returned for new dials to be printed.

Eddie
    Get them to put a white border around the date window while they're at it :wink:

Grand Master

It took me a while to see the problem, but now I can I agree with your attention to detail Eddie - well done! Hopefully the next batch will be correct.
    /vince ..

That's a real shame Eddie. It's the sort of thing that would drive you nuts though once you noticed it, so far better to have everything spot on and put up with a bit of a delay

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Well, you could have just called it an LE version and sold them as is :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    It took me a while to see the problem, but now I can I agree with your attention to detail Eddie - well done! Hopefully the next batch will be correct.

+1. Had to look at the photos quite some time...

Good move Eddie.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman

I admire Eddie for a couple of things, one of them is his resilience.
    In this world that has to be commended.

However, he could be GOD if he made the PRS14 with saphire and date. :wink: :D

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Seconded. Even with it being pointed out it took me a double take to notice it.

Journeyman

Well spotted Eddie.

Is the 'Great Britain' text printed with the numbers layer or the minutes layer? It might just be me, but the 38th minute marker looks a bit 'lost' with no small text near it. If the 'Great' text has been printed too far to the right also, this might explain why. Shame our country name is unbalanced....as is every other possible version I could come up with: Eng....land, United Kingdom, Enger...lund :) U...K or G...B might look a bit odd though ;)

Thomas Reid

I'm sure you have Bob,although you don't have laser positioning equipment which is supposed to eliminate errors like this. It slipped through the dial manufacturer and the watch manufacturer as well.

Eddie
    I have eyeballs Mk I, a loupe, and a flashlight.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by traf
    Shame our country name is unbalanced....as is every other possible version I could come up with: Eng....land, United Kingdom, Enger...lund :) U...K or G...B might look a bit odd though ;)
    Is "Great Britain" a country's name? I don't think so.

I never really understood the benefits of the flexibility of defining oneself as "English", "British", "from the UK" or "European" ... I think we should all just be "Europeans". :twisted: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I bet you are frustrated Eddie, but attention to detail is all when it comes to watches and better to sort it now than have it pointed out later - and given the anality of WIS's, it would have been spotted and discussed ad nauseam!!!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

My hat is off to you, Eddie, for your attention to detail, commitment to perfection and honesty and openness with your punters.

I would never have noticed this flaw myself, not in a month of Sundays.

Eddie, good catch and good call. Must be as frustrating for you as for us (if not more -- we're not out of pocket as yet!) but I can only agree with everyone else here that this the only way to go. Thanks.

Craftsman

Amazing attention to detail, Eddie!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's not only that you spotted what many (including me) would probably have overlooked even handling the watch in person. My hat's definitely off to you for delaying sales by sending the dials back. I honestly think you are the most relentlessly quality driven businessman I've met in my entire life. Congrats and thank you for that!

I'll keep my fingers crossed the movements won't need new lubrication by the time the watches are finally ready for dispatch... :wink:

Guntram

Journeyman

Sorry for the setback Eddie, but I appreciate your attention to detail and perfectionist streak. This timepiece is too important to forsake perfect balance. We've waited this long..what's another few weeks?

-Jason

Eagle eyes, Eddie...you've got eagle eyes. 8)

Sorry to hear about this.

Nevertheless it is better to get it right. Good call Eddie.

J

I can tell you I wasn't popular when I said it was being returned.

Bollocks to 'em, if they got it right first time it wouldn't be going back. :twisted:

"Can't you sell it like it is?"

"No".

Eddie

Master

"No".

Eddie
    Why did they bother to ask, did they not know your trademark response :D

Thomas

Master

Good for you - 0.15mm is ridiculously small but it is fairly noticeable from the piccie you put up.

A Brit telling a German company what acceptable precision is!!? :o :o :lol:

Would a type 48 dial from MkII fit the case? :twisted:

Master

I'm disappointed like anybody else but I wanted to thank you for your business. Others would just sold it as is. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Shame our country name is unbalanced....as is every other possible version I could come up with: Eng....land, United Kingdom, Enger...lund :) U...K or G...B might look a bit odd though ;)

I never really understood the benefits of the flexibility of defining oneself as "English", "British", "from the UK" or "European" ... I think we should all just be "Europeans". :twisted: :wink:
    Strange sentiment from a Crusader apparently living in the 12th century!

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Well, you could have just called it an LE version and sold them as is :twisted:
    Yes, the Strabismus LE :twisted:

Frustrating to hear this, but glad you sussed it out before watches started heading out the door!

Well spotted Eddie.

Is the 'Great Britain' text printed with the numbers layer or the minutes layer? It might just be me, but the 38th minute marker looks a bit 'lost' with no small text near it. If the 'Great' text has been printed too far to the right also, this might explain why. Shame our country name is unbalanced....as is every other possible version I could come up with: Eng....land, United Kingdom, Enger...lund :) U...K or G...B might look a bit odd though ;)
    Englandland. For the US folk :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Unfortunately Eddie, you've chosen the wrong profession. You should have been a brain surgeon. Nice to know you are this detailed. I emailed Doxa and told them that the Sharkhunter they sent me was had a screw-down crown too difficult to use properly. If you compare the system with any other high-quality diver--it is inferior. I suggested that this could be improved; I received an email saying that they expect the customer to get used to it. They don't know this, nor they care, but that is the one reason I didn't buy the Chronograph. I'm wondering if their new models address this.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e.c.
    I emailed Doxa and told them that the Sharkhunter they sent me was had a screw-down crown too difficult to use properly. If you compare the system with any other high-quality diver--it is inferior. I suggested that this could be improved; I received an email saying that they expect the customer to get used to it.
    LOL! Classic Doxa!

Craftsman

Once pointed out the eye is drawn to it each time. Good job in spotting it Eddie and even better in insisting that it be right and not just 'good enough'

In trying to remain patient I'll remind myself that it must be so much more difficult in your position.

Regards

John

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

I had to Google it mind, rather than just knowing the answer, but,
    "Great Britain evolved politically into a union of England and Scotland from a personal union in 1603 with the Union of Crowns under James VI of Scotland, I of England. The political union that merged the two countries happened with the Acts of Union in 1707 which merged the parliaments of each nation and thus resulted in the formation of the Kingdom of Great Britain, which covered the entire island.

In turn, in 1801, an Act of Union between Great Britain and Ireland created the larger United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (UK). The UK became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1922 following the independence of five-sixths of Ireland as the Irish Free State"

And it says on the cover of my passport "The United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". But that may be a bit much for a 'sterile' dial :wink:

John

Bollocks to 'em, if they got it right first time it wouldn't be going back. :twisted:

"No".

Eddie

Not entirely comensurate with "a German company with 80 years experience of dial manufacturing" IMO - unless of course, they've little intention of being around for the next 80 years.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Any chance of them changing the text to read

"South Yorks."

(Don't worry, I know the answer :mrgreen: )

-- Tim

Well done Eddie.

David

I can see the problem. It would have bothered us - and you as a perfectionist. We'll wait, disappointedly...

Craftsman

I'm really glad you took the high ground on this one. I know from personal experience that, when a watch has a flaw, that's the only think my eye is drawn too once I am aware of it. This particular flaw would drive me bananas and would make the watch virtually unwearable. Worse, no amount of wabi will blur it out (besides, I've no intention of wabisizing the SBIII).

-O

Master

I can only echo everyone else's sentiments. I am at the same time disappointed in the delay, relieved that you noticed the error in time, impressed that you only accept perfection, and appalled at the response from Germany.

Unfortunately, these days "good enough" is often all that is offered, and we are expected to accept that in the wider world. I applaud your commitment and strength in seeing that this project will be "right first time" when it is delivered to the lucky owners (of which I indeed hope to be one.)

Now I'm soooo glad I have a 1903 coming in this week from a sales corner deal! :wink:

Thanks again Eddie,

Guy :)

Master

"No".

Eddie

My late dad once told me that if you want to find the best dentist, call the dental labs in the area and ask who returns the most crowns.

I wouldn´t have noticed it, frankly speaking. But that´s only an indication of why timefactors represent the best value for money in watches. AND I MEAN IT! :wink: