closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Titanium refinishing — only the brave?

Master

Question Titanium refinishing — only the brave?

What's your experience of getting titanium refinished? Do you get it done at service time or just use an eraser? If DIY, have you seen the Titanium Refinishing Pad that Watch Obsession sells?
    https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/pro...efinishing-pad

Assuming the case has a brushed effect, I've found the refinishing pads do work, as can fibreglass pens for harder to reach areas.

Grand Master
    I’ve refinished a few titanium watches, they're easier to finish than steel and the same principles apply. Scotchbrite pads are ideal for refreshing brushed finishes, the brown coarser grade is the one I use.

Minor scuffs can be improved by using a fibreglass pen.

As with any metal, if there’s extensive scratches and damage it needs removing before refinishing, refinishing over the scratches will be of limited benefit and won’t get the watch looking like new again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    What's your experience of getting titanium refinished? Do you get it done at service time or just use an eraser? If DIY, have you seen the Titanium Refinishing Pad that Watch Obsession sells?
    https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/pro...efinishing-pad
    They are available for a lot less than that, check eBay.
    I have occasionally given my Pelagos a quick brush up, and it looks fine if you take your time and are careful.
    Titanium oxidises which means all but the worst marks will eventually blend in. Most minor marks are actually the removal of the oxidised layer revealing the bare metal underneath.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd February 2021 at 12:22.

Master
    Have you got any pictures at all.

If you want this done I'm happy to help and would waive my fee on the basis that it was made as a donation to the TZ fundraiser.

I don't do as much as I used to but have done a few nice watches lately such as Rolex.

Paul

Master
    Or happy to do a Zoom / Teams call and walk you through it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Have you got any pictures at all.

If you want this done I'm happy to help and would waive my fee on the basis that it was made as a donation to the TZ fundraiser.

I don't do as much as I used to but have done a few nice watches lately such as Rolex.

Paul
    Very nice gesture Paul, I can vouch wholeheartedly for Pauls work and he brought 2 of my titanium Breitlings back to almost as new ! Top chap
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Or happy to do a Zoom / Teams call and walk you through it :-)
    Wow! That's incredibly kind of you.

My original post was prompted by curiosity because I'm on the brink of chopping and changing my wristwear, and expect to get more titanium pieces. Until now, my Ti watches have been refinished at service time. But more titanium on the horizon is an incentive to find out about how to refinish it myself.
    Last edited by Dougal; 3rd February 2021 at 17:04.

Sorry to piggyback but If you hold the zoom, I’d be happy to make said contribution to the fundraiser and attend if possible.

My Pelagos is shall we say ‘full of character’, and whilst I’m not sure I want to remove some of this just yet, would appreciate some guidance should I wish to in future.

Whilst I am not asking gingerboy to do so; this is great idea.

It would be fantastic if some of our more knowledgeable members were to hold short Zoom sessions on various bits of watch making, how parts work etc. A bit like the show and tells you did at school. Anyone who attends could put a bit in to the fundraiser as a thank you. It might be good for the experts business as well... (if their business is watch making)

just a thought!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Whilst I am not asking gingerboy to do so; this is great idea.

It would be fantastic if some of our more knowledgeable members were to hold short Zoom sessions on various bits of watch making, how parts work etc. A bit like the show and tells you did at school. Anyone who attends could put a bit in to the fundraiser as a thank you. It might be good for the experts business as well... (if their business is watch making)

just a thought!
    we have bi-monthly TZ-GTG on zoom which we discuss a tiny bit about watches but now seems to be mostly about how many drops of water to put in whisky - if any knowledgeable member would care to join and talk about said subjects??

Master
    Happy to set a session up covering the basics of there's enough interest.

To give people an idea of what can be achieved I've dug out an old thread I did

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

It shows a repair I did on a titanium Breitling. Lots of before and after pics.

Also an Omega SMP refinish

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Loads of info, ideas of basic kit that will get you started on the basics

Like I've said, if members want I'll happily set something up

Cheers

Paul

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk