closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BT Sport - Worth it?

BT Sport - Worth it?

Afternoon Everyone,

I've had Sky Sports for a while, and to be honest, before the current pandemic I didn't watch too many live Premier League games because I found the coverage just too chavvy, with the enormous iPads etc. However, I've been forced through boredom to watch more games since the second lockdown, and found the reversion to a studio-based discussion refreshing. In some ways it's like MoTD from 20 years ago.

Anyway, I have been thinking about adding BT Sport so I can watch more games, but the best Sky can do is £22 per month for an 18 month contract, or a rolling monthly £25 per month deal.

Is it worth it for what you get, and does BT Sport have the daft iPads?

Master
    These things are very subjective. In my case I want MotoGP and the Champions League, and since they have a monopoly on both it's worth it for me. I confess I scarcely ever watch the Prem on BT.

Blog Entries
    I got rid last year when the lockdown started and the games got postponed also got rid of Sky sports at the same time then reinstated SP but not Bt felt it was not worth it with the amount of games to be shown and not regretted the decision.
    Do you have a BT broadband contract ? then it is much cheaper than Sky i was paying £12.49 pm for the HD package with Plusnet ,EE are also part of BT.
    As to the pundits i do not watch nor listen to them nor the commentaries
    Last edited by mart broad; 2nd February 2021 at 16:05.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I have it but don't get a lot of value from it. There are some decent things on there, but they are few and far between.

BT Sport thinks American university lacrosse and pantomime wrestling are sports worthy of broadcast. I'm not so sure.

Watching Moto GP is my prime motive but I have found myself watching a lot of Premiership games during the crisis.
    I ONLY watch the actual matches and never watch the pre/post match drivel. I like Steve Mcmanan's commentary compared to most.
    I am old enough to remember when football was regarded as a "working class" sport.

Craftsman
    Depends on the sport you watch - I like watching the rugby so its good for that and worth it.....

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I got rid last year when the lockdown started and the games got postponed also got rid of Sky sports at the same time then reinstated SP but not Bt felt it was not worth it with the amount of games to be shown and not regretted the decision.
    Do you have a BT broadband contract ? then it is much cheaper than Sky i was paying £12.49 pm for the HD package with Plusnet ,EE are also part of BT.
    As to the pundits i do not watch nor listen to them nor the commentaries
    We've got the broadband through Sky, so the £22 or £25 options are all I have to play with. I'm tempted to just go with the £25 rolling monthly addition and cancel it if I can't get on with the coverage, or if it is too Transit-van-man orientated to bear. We're contracted up on the Sky Sports package for another 11 months so there's no room for manoeuvre there.

I've never liked Sky Sports but have BT Sport. It also has Champions League if that's a draw for you, and does some great sports films and documentaries.

The commentating is OK, but bear in mind that Jemaine Jenas is a pundit on occasions

Its an interesting dilemma as signed up for Sky Sports again when football started up after Lockdown 1.0 ended as it gives the weekend and some evenings a focal point. Now that my teenage boys follow football its more of a family affair.

The eldest and therefore more selfish one keeps asking me to get BT Sport especially with so many games on there at the moment but I have my limits and the current Sky Package is that limit.

Only you can really answer the question in terms of what you really want to watch and whether you consider £6-7 per week decent value.

I choose Sky over BT Sport as I like to watch the golf as well so that swings it for me.

If that changed and the footie offer was split between Sky BT and say Amazon etc then it would be tough to justify keeping.

Final point for me is that other forms of content on the box are very average at the moment probably due to Covid restrictions so the sport has become increasingly important in the schedule.

I've had BT Sport for a few years but cancelled my subscription just last week. I mainly had it for the UFC and rarely got a chance to watch the football so it wasn't used that much. Then with the fact that the UFC is usually on between 1am and 6am, watching it live has become more of a chore! I'll probably sign up again next month when I get fed up watching highlights on YouTube.

I used to have BT sport for years as it came with a broadband package for quite a good price, but I only ever used it for champions league. But then they sneakily increased the price (as always), so I canceled immediately.

Sky sports works way better for me (golf, PL, boxing sometimes, darts, basketball etc.)

Master
    I just run modbro on a firestick to get everything I need, the only one I’ve found a problem with is Eurosport but I pay for that app anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Not worth it at all if like me you hate sport.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Not worth it at all if like me you hate sport.
    Not really the helpful input I was looking for, but thank you anyway.

Thanks for the comments so far from those who have had the subscription before. I've just got off the phone having added the £25 rolling monthly contract to my package, so if I can't get on with it or don't watch it enough, I can cancel without disrupting my pre-existing deal. A deal which in typical Sky fashion, has end dates for various promotions in June 2021, August 2021 and December 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I just run modbro on a firestick to get everything I need, the only one I’ve found a problem with is Eurosport but I pay for that app anyway.

I can hear the sound of chickens getting frantically plucked and the burble of a low flame beneath a large vat of tar !!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I can hear the sound of chickens getting frantically plucked and the burble of a low flame beneath a large vat of tar !!
    Oh yes!!!! With a vpn you can get some really good US stuff as well.

Master
    I have Sky Sports and BT sports - both primarily for football.

In terms of presentation, BT is generally ok - plagued by adverts as you might expect, but the pundits and commentators are not too irritating. Sometimes, they can be a bit OTT, depending on who it is, but mostly it's ok, and of course, the big bonus is the amount of Champions League games they cover.

I have BT Sport for the footy .... some of the commentators really are poor - I can’t stand listening to Hoddle.

Also you have to pay extra for HD and I mean you HAVE to have it as the standard signal is definitely downgraded and fuzzy and pretty horrible.

But when you love footy I guess they have you by short and curlies

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I have BT Sport for the footy .... some of the commentators really are poor - I can’t stand listening to Hoddle.

Also you have to pay extra for HD and I mean you HAVE to have it as the standard signal is definitely downgraded and fuzzy and pretty horrible.

Really, I don’t have HD and it’s near perfect. Mind you, I never watch HD anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both Sky Sports and BT Sport. For me, Sky is the platform due to my viewing requirements. However, access to CL and UFC for £10 per month is worth the spend in my case.

The coverage is decent and they have sports and leagues that Sky don’t, so it brings some variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Same here and agree the standard signal is shocking. I’m with BT for internet and negotiate a decent price each year for Sport. Currently getting a £8pm discount on it
    Last edited by craig1912; 2nd February 2021 at 20:37.

Master
    I’m currently doing the £25 rolling thing. It feels like a rip off but I am using it. Man Utd fan, don’t like to miss a game if it’s available on TV especially given it’s something to look forward to during these ‘fun’ times!

Master
    Red card already! On BT Sport!

Journeyman
    I'm another one who's mainly got it for the Moto GP and the speedway coverage.

I can't say I like their commentators or pundits for the football so I tend to only watch the games if they're ones I'm interested in.

Master
    BT was well worth it when they had both IPL and NBA, so now less worth it IMHO.

Well, after signing up for the rolling contract the first game I sat down to watch in full was the Man U demolition of Southampton, so in that respect, and even though I'm a Leeds fan, I got my money's worth in terms of goals and red cards!

Craftsman
    Have it for the Rugby and Moto GP, don't watch kiss ball :)

Master
    I recently switched from BT broadband & cancelled my BT Sport subscription.
    It was too much to add to my Sky TV package, so I bought one of these :-
    https://accessories.ee.co.uk/product...rd_Shell_Case/

£45 for 3 months access (+ free Google Chromecast) to BT Sport on phone/tablet & on smart tv, Amazon stick etc.
    If you have an EE mobile & haven't used their 3 month free BT Sport deal then you initially get 6 months access for £45.
    £15 month thereafter on a 1 month rolling contract.

I have it on 2 amazon firestick/box's & a Roku stick - image quality is great (HD), no different to having it on a Sky box other than you can't record it.

No, but I can't watch MotoGP without it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    No, but I can't watch MotoGP without it.
    i bought it because i love cricket - so much more available especially from my favourites - India, NZ and Aus

i love fishing but hate 'On the Bank'

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    I recently switched from BT broadband & cancelled my BT Sport subscription.
    It was too much to add to my Sky TV package, so I bought one of these :-
    https://accessories.ee.co.uk/product...rd_Shell_Case/

£45 for 3 months access (+ free Google Chromecast) to BT Sport on phone/tablet & on smart tv, Amazon stick etc.
    If you have an EE mobile & haven't used their 3 month free BT Sport deal then you initially get 6 months access for £45.
    £15 month thereafter on a 1 month rolling contract.

I have it on 2 amazon firestick/box's & a Roku stick - image quality is great (HD), no different to having it on a Sky box other than you can't record it.
    Can I ask when you got this? Seems to be consistently out of stock when I look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Can I ask when you got this? Seems to be consistently out of stock when I look.
    I purchased from the EE website back in mid October 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    I purchased from the EE website back in mid October 2020.
    Cheers, my offer is up end of the month so hopefully is available again before then.

Craftsman
    i get bt sport free as a bolt on with my EE contract, only issue is i can only watch games on my phone as it doesn’t allow me to mirror the game from my phone to the TV which is a bit annoying

Quote Originally Posted by ellsy_79 View Post
    i get bt sport free as a bolt on with my EE contract, only issue is i can only watch games on my phone as it doesn’t allow me to mirror the game from my phone to the TV which is a bit annoying
    Big screen upgrade is £5 per month. You may need to call and arrange as I believe this sometimes incorrectly defaults to £10 via the app.

Craftsman
    If I did not get it FOC I would not pay for it.

The adverts alone drive me to paying for sports direct with their marketing arms.

They really sting you sports fans for every penny!