closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRS-47 Smiths Commando

Surely a Commando watch needs to be on a nato?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Mine arrives tomorrow. But I'm not supposed to "receive it" until my wedding anniversary in mid March, so probably no pictures until then. That give me time to research a new strap or bracelet; I don't get on with the supplied rivet bracelet. I'll have it on a perlon ( I have a black Palma read) first, but thinking about another oyster or maybe a leather strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Surely a Commando watch needs to be on a nato?
    I'm more an armchair commando. I don't get on with Nato straps but maybe a single pass nylon or leather would be a good

I just had shipping notification for mine (order 1287) so I'll take some pics when it lands.

Journeyman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    me being picky but I dont like Commando across the face. Would have preferred it on the back or not on at all. Spoils the watch for me.
    A smaller font would be good - and slightly different hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    A smaller font would be good - and slightly different hands.

Now that looks different again...like that.

Commando number 060 landed with me this morning - and what a great watch it is! Really solid, the bracelet is a lovely bit of quality (I particularly like the fact that even the inside of the clasp cover is finished nicely) and the size is perfect. All in, as ever for one of Eddie’s, it’s astonishing value, in my opinion.

I know the dial text and handset have divided opinions a bit, but I’m firmly in the “love ‘em” camp. A little bit different, thoroughly distinctive and (as an aside) very well lumed!

I haven’t the time to resize the bracelet just now, so it’s onto an old Bond NATO and onto the wrist. Cracking.

Last edited by PreacherCain; 12th February 2021 at 12:22.

Craftsman
    Congratulations... that looks great on the bond nato too.

I've been looking out for some 'real' pics of the commando.

The text is not as prominent as i first thought which is a good thing...for me anyways.

Journeyman
    Commando looks awesome. Just learning more about this model. Great pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    The text is not as prominent as i first thought which is a good thing...for me anyways.
    That's what I thought, was worried I would look like a Walt with one, but that's definitely do-able.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Commando number 060 landed with me this morning - and what a great watch it is! Really solid, the bracelet is a lovely bit of quality (I particularly like the fact that even the inside of the clasp cover is finished nicely) and the size is perfect. All in, as ever for one of Eddie’s, it’s astonishing value, in my opinion.

I know the dial text and handset have divided opinions a bit, but I’m firmly in the “love ‘em” camp. A little bit different, thoroughly distinctive and (as an aside) very well lumed!

I haven’t the time to resize the bracelet just now, so it’s onto an old Bond NATO and onto the wrist. Cracking.

Looks great, I think the Everest and commando are different enough to own the both of them 😁 although only minor changes the changes made certainly do visually change the look when compared to the Everest.

Master
    Mine now arrives Monday. DHL up to their usual tricks. My wife decided to give me a different watch for our anniversary so I'll have this on wrist next week. Can't wait.

Master
    Mine arrived yesterday. As always a quality piece but I'm just haven't taken to it. The hands (size rather than shape) don't appeal to me. So unfortunately I don't think it a keeper. I've put it on SC for a possible trade against an Expedition.

If anyone really wants a "Commando" ...

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...682_em_1p_1_ti

Now back to your regular programming.

Mine arrived yesterday. As always a quality piece but I'm just haven't taken to it. The hands (size rather than shape) don't appeal to me. So unfortunately I don't think it a keeper. I've put it on SC for a possible trade against an Expedition.
    Shame I’ve not got access to the sales corner 🥺 I’d have surely taken it

Craftsman
    UPS were up to their usual tricks indicating no one was here but they did eventually turn up around two hours later. Rubbish photos but struggling with crystal reflection.

Bracelet was very unwilling to be removed even bent the spring bar tool trying to get it to release. Hoping the Guilt is not as troublesome but still waiting for its new strap.

Prefer both the Commando and the Gilt to the standard Everest on first impression.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    UPS were up to their usual tricks indicating no one was here but they did eventually turn up around two hours later. Rubbish photos but struggling with crystal reflection.

Bracelet was very unwilling to be removed even bent the spring bar tool trying to get it to release. Hoping the Guilt is not as troublesome but still waiting for its new strap.

Prefer both the Commando and the Gilt to the standard Everest on first impression.

Is it me or does the gilt have a glossy dial while the other two have a matte dial?

Nice to see all three together....

Yes I thought it looked like a glossy dial too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Nice to see all three together....

Yes I thought it looked like a glossy dial too?

I only own the gilt, and the dial is definitely glossy, but I didn't know if the dial of the others was matte or glossy. Interesting, this makes these watches much more different

Quote Originally Posted by cap_riccio View Post
    I only own the gilt, and the dial is definitely glossy, but I didn't know if the dial of the others was matte or glossy. Interesting, this makes these watches much more different
    The dial is matte on the ‘standard’ version

Gents those watches look utterly fabulous Eddie's on a roll in terms of the lovely watches He's releasing what's remarkable that this is a one Man operation all the more remarkable that He is an insatiable desire for perfection and to release watches for every budget.

Growing on me, The Commando is.

A 39 mm version would be great.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th February 2021 at 19:48.

Is it me or does the gilt have a glossy dial while the other two have a matte dial?
    Top photo is stunning

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post

Should have been these photos i was referring to

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just had a look at the dial of the Everest Gilt under a hand magnifier and yes its defiantly got a deep sheen, also appears all the markings on the dial are engraved into it and then filled with the gilt and lum, whereas the standard Everest and Commando are matt finish and printed directly onto.

Currently wearing the Commando and it really is growing on me, particularly like the way the 3, 6 & 9 are pushed out making the watch feel a little bigger than its true dimensions and the simplicity of the hands.

Craftsman
    Slightly better image of the PRS-47 taken this morning;

Journeyman
    Amazed this hasn’t gone yet. GLWTS

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    Amazed this hasn’t gone yet. GLWTS

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Can’t believe there’s one on here and I can’t see the sales corner as I’ve not been a member long enough. What’s with PMs? Or not allowed.

It's now sold.

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfisherman View Post
    Can’t believe there’s one on here and I can’t see the sales corner as I’ve not been a member long enough. What’s with PMs? Or not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It's now sold.
    Yepp thanks for the info, also emailed the seller and was informed it was already sold.

Journeyman
    Might be in the minority, but I don’t like the way the numerals are pushed out. I get that it makes the dial bigger but I feel it spoils the ‘poise’ of the dial. But all TF Smiths watches are brill anyway.

Journeyman

PRS-47 Smiths Commando

Quote Originally Posted by zharko View Post
    Might be in the minority, but I don’t like the way the numerals are pushed out. I get that it makes the dial bigger but I feel it spoils the ‘poise’ of the dial. But all TF Smiths watches are brill anyway.

Both look great but if I could only pick one the original gets my vote for sure!

Agree with you.

Just browsing and came across this on chrono 24. That asking price and I love that Eddie settled on using the commando text on the dial. As is on this Rolex example.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zharko View Post

Since getting the 47 my other watches haven't been getting much of a look in, so obviously in the opposite camp in preferring the Commando's dial to the Everest; like how by changing the positioning of the numbers the dial can be made to look that bit bigger but without looking wrong either.