timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS-47 Smiths Commando

PRS-47 Smiths Commando

Another one ! I can’t keep up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    me being picky but I dont like Commando across the face. Would have preferred it on the back or not on at all. Spoils the watch for me.

Master
    Is that an official mock-up or has someone somewhere thrown that together? The hands look totally wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Is that an official mock-up or has someone somewhere thrown that together? The hands look totally wrong to me.
    Yes, lume on hour hand isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, lume on hour hand isn't.

Not a mock-up , it's on the web site and on sale

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post
    Well this doesn’t look right.

Bloody hell, you're right. The gilt dial is also there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post

Well this doesn’t look right.

That’s just hands overlapping. There’s quite a tail on both hour and minute hands

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    That’s just hands overlapping. There’s quite a tail on both hour and minute hands

I think it's just the angle of the shot , the side shot shows the hands better, they may even have a slight beveled profile(?)

How is that hands overlapping? The lumed section on the hour hand appears to be separate from the hand itself.
    Maybe just the photo but can’t see it myself.

It is a folded hand with a crease along the centre line and you are seeing a lume section in the middle of the lit half and the darker half away from the light.
    You can even see the edge of the darker half towards the pinion end.
    Nothing wrong there whatsoever.

PRS-47 Smiths Commando

Isn’t it just the light only on half of the hand due to it being beveled?

[edit] put much better in previous post

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

PRS-47 Smiths Commando

How is that hands overlapping? The lumed section on the hour hand appears to be separate from the hand itself.
    Maybe just the photo but can’t see it myself.
    Ah I thought you where looking at the seconds hand.
    The lume section is flat but the minute hand itself has a bevel on each side of the middle which means that in this picture the right bevel is in shadow and the other catching the light
    (I think)

Edit: I see we are all saying the same thing - sorry for answering before reading other responses

Ah I thought you where looking at the seconds hand.
    The lume section is flat but the minute hand itself has a bevel on each side of the middle which means that in this picture the right bevel is in shadow and the other catching the light
    (I think)

Edit: I see we are all saying the same thing - sorry for answering before reading other responses

Ah, could be that!

Master
    Looks great to me. I really like the handset.

Me to, tough call between this and the gilt, I had a Mkii black have gilt hands and loved it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Unsure I'm for it or not, feel a different bracelet to the PRS-25, or even a leather wrist strap would have been better.

Probably also being a bit slow but what is the ID engraved on the backplate.

Like the Delux on the back mind, wonder if the the latest standard PRS-25 will feature this.

PRS-47 Smiths Commando

Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post

Like the Deluxe on the back mind, wonder if the the latest standard PRS-25 will feature this.
    Yes I wondered that too - maybe Eddie will clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    Probably also being a bit slow but what is the ID engraved on the backplate.
    It is the logo for Industrial Design Guy youtube channel

As mentioned on the product page,
    "Last year I received a watch design from the Industrial Design Guy Youtube channel asking if I would consider making a watch like that. I liked the design and thought why not?"

cheers

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    It is the logo for Industrial Design Guy youtube channel

As mentioned on the product page,
    "Last year I received a watch design from the Industrial Design Guy Youtube channel asking if I would consider making a watch like that. I liked the design and thought why not?"

cheers
    Thanks

Not slow just oblivious then; rarely use Youtube

Master
    ID Guy does some great research, but it's not like he came up with the design, sui generis.

Last edited by gerrudd; 2nd February 2021 at 17:20.

It's difficult to capture but you can see at the end of the minute hand that the hands are angled.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    ID Guy does some great research, but it's not like he came up with the design, sui generis.

Yes, he sent me a similar picture when he first mentioned it. He also mentioned that it is extremely rare.

https://mondanibooks.com/rolex-oyster-commando/

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Yes, he sent me a similar picture when he first mentioned it. He also mentioned that it is extremely rare.
    [/url]

Eddie
    Hen's teeth as far as I can tell. I mentioned I like to see a Commando dialled version about 18 months ago and lo and behold. I'll be in the queue at 13:59 on Sunday. :)

Master
    The stars have seemed to align. My 15th wedding anniversary coming up, modern gift version - watches! Wife wants to get me something, her grandfather served in the Commandos, she loves the connection, tenuous thought it may be. It was meant to be. Thanks Eddie.

Journeyman
    Well bang goes my plan not to buy a watch this month.

Unfortunately the only commando here probably involves not wearing anything under one's pants...

"The Rolex Oyster Commando is a very rare and particular watch.
    (...) part of a very limited series of watches made by Rolex for the American market at the end of the 1960’s.
    (...) sold by the retailer Abercrombie & Fitch (...)"

as per
    Last edited by redhed18; 3rd February 2021 at 15:30.

Journeyman
    I am in love. Will be in the queue on Sunday despite my vow of abstinence

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Hmmmm...

Never been a fan of Mercedes hands, so this is a step in the right direction for me... Though having Commando across the dial knocks it back a bit, (even though I served with them... ) So now I'm caught between this and the new Traska Commuter....

Blimey, we are all getting it because we don't wear undies in lockdown and you were an actual commando and don't like it

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1966 View Post
    So now I'm caught between this and the new Traska Commuter....
    I would be tempted by the new Commuter if it wasn't for the new crystal and how it renders most of the minute track invisible

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    What to know about the Rolex Commando
    https://www.rescapement.com/blog/wha...rolex-commando
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    I would be tempted by the new Commuter if it wasn't for the new crystal and how it renders most of the minute track invisible
    I've looked at some of the video reviews, can't say as it appears to do what you describe.

While the name Commuter isn't exactly inspiring of derring do, the benefit is it doesn't appear on the dial, which I like.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th February 2021 at 14:43.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fogar View Post
    I really like Traska and especially the 36mm size, but for me it is the date feature. I do not like a date feature, just a simple 3 handed time teller.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I really like Traska and especially the 36mm size, but for me it is the date feature. I do not like a date feature, just a simple 3 handed time teller.
    I'm usually firmly in the same camp as yourself but somehow it all seems to come together harmoniously on the Traska so I really don't mind it, positioned at 6 instead of 3 with a polished frame kinda completes the piece... instead of unbalancing/detracting which a date, just imo can sometimes do.

Journeyman

Smile Keeping fingers crossed for a no Mercedes hand, plexiglass crystal version

Great to see more versions - I am keeping fingers crossed for a no Mercedes hand, plexiglass crystal, 36 mm version without a lot of text - just Smiths would do just fine.

Master
    Having stared at the watch for an inordinate amount of time, I think the hour hand is too long. It overlaps the hour markers. Compare to the Rolex, or the Commuter for that matter. Not a huge point, but if there is ever a v2, something to consider.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Having stared at the watch for an inordinate amount of time, I think the hour hand is too long. It overlaps the hour markers. Compare to the Rolex, or the Commuter for that matter. Not a huge point, but if there is ever a v2, something to consider.
    Thing is - the hour hand of a watch isn't really intended to be stared at for more than a few seconds. I really like the handset on this dial but I'm a little concerned that the COMMANDO text might be a little incongruous for someone who never did anything more military than attaining the status of Assistant Patrol Leader in the Scouts. I will admit to wearing a pair of Clarks Commandos in the early '70s, though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Thing is - the hour hand of a watch isn't really intended to be stared at for more than a few seconds.
    Those seconds add up.

I really like the handset on this dial but I'm a little concerned that the COMMANDO text might be a little incongruous for someone who never did anything more military than attaining the status of Assistant Patrol Leader in the Scouts. I will admit to wearing a pair of Clarks Commandos in the early '70s, though.
    By that logic I’m not sure I should be wearing a watch bearing the name of the worlds highest mountain, what with me getting dizzy when I put on two pairs of socks

Craftsman
    Thing is - the hour hand of a watch isn't really intended to be stared at for more than a few seconds. I really like the handset on this dial but I'm a little concerned that the COMMANDO text might be a little incongruous for someone who never did anything more military than attaining the status of Assistant Patrol Leader in the Scouts. I will admit to wearing a pair of Clarks Commandos in the early '70s, though.
    Were not the first Commando's farmers, so if you've got any agricultural connections you should be OK

Master
    I'm managed to order one, so I'll see how I get on with the hands. I'm not allowed to wear it until mid March as it will be a wedding anniversary gift.

I think that's a good-looking variation (and I'm not convinced that the hour hand is too long, looks good to me), l'm interested to see the pictures from in the wild once people get their hands on them.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I shall certainly offer some pics when mine lands - I really like the design: I’ve never got on with Mercedes hands and they’ve put me off an Everest before. The Commando looks great to my eyes.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I think that's a good-looking variation (and I'm not convinced that the hour hand is too long, looks good to me), l'm interested to see the pictures from in the wild once people get their hands on them.
    I think that the convention for length of watch hand is that the long hand should just touch the marking, and never be more that halfway in on the marking. Like this -

and like this

If it does not touch, it can't reach the marking, and hence it looks too short, and if it's more that halfway in on the marking, it does not point at the marking, and hence then it looks too long.
    Last edited by Mads Gorm; 8th February 2021 at 19:34.

That RM angle a bit deceiving, it goes about a 3rd in , quick pick on mine now

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    That RM angle a bit deceiving, it goes about a 3rd in , quick pick on mine now

Yes - that is absolutely perfect - not more than half way in. The second hand actually goes in more than half way on the marking, but it still works, because the second hand is as thin as it is. A beautiful watch - perfect :)

Craftsman
    Anybody received one of these yet?

Master
    Mine arrives tomorrow. But I'm not supposed to "receive it" until my wedding anniversary in mid March, so probably no pictures until then. That give me time to research a new strap or bracelet; I don't get on with the supplied rivet bracelet. I'll have it on a perlon ( I have a black Palma read) first, but thinking about another oyster or maybe a leather strap.