closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What’s the most you’ll spend

Apprentice
    It's good question. I wonder if there is a graph that shows a buying pattern that illustrates our tendancy to always look for something better by constantly pushing the financial boundaries, only to realise it only makes you marginally happier, and a lot more anxious when you wear them. So you drop back down, then climb back up! Right now I'm in the phase where spending £5k-£8k feels a bit steep now, so I'm dropping back down to the £3k range where I seem to be comfortable.

Dunno. Maxed out at £8k for a grail probably for me.

Have been thinking about this one as I'm in the process of changing the collection around.

Rather than price of an individual piece, it's a price limit on the entire collection that I have. At the moment, I don't really want my collection to exceed £10k in the prices I've paid. In the past, when I was at my 'richest' (younger, less financial commitments etc.) I was happy to have £20k+ tied up in watches.

This means an individual watch tends to be £3k for me.

Master
    I've just spent £1 shy of £5k on a very nice 16233. The most I have spent is about £6500 on a new 116231 about 7 years ago I think. I do not think I would ever spend more than £5k now and am quite happy wearing that value out in public.

£10k would probably be my limit.

My first Rolex was £4k, which felt huge. I was only 22 at the time and I had been saving up forever.

I'd like a Datejust 41 which is close to my max.

I considered an AP ROO around £12k, but I just couldn't justify it.

my limit kept changing its goal post. The tops I would do at one point was about £5k but progressively it kept creeping up

For normal day to day wear£500 and for weekend wear my absolute max would be and is £1000 I have had a £5k watch but didn't dare wear it just in case it got a mark on it, I don't see the point of having a safe queen, if you can afford it then wear it, its what it was made for, luckily I cant afford anything like a Daytona, so all my watches are strictly for wearing and if they get a scratch, its not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    For normal day to day wear£500 and for weekend wear my absolute max would be and is £1000 I have had a £5k watch but didn't dare wear it just in case it got a mark on it, I don't see the point of having a safe queen, if you can afford it then wear it, its what it was made for, luckily I cant afford anything like a Daytona, so all my watches are strictly for wearing and if they get a scratch, its not the end of the world.
    The world didn’t come to an end but atleast the sentence did. Eventually:-)

I don't limit myself. The right watch at the right price. I'm getting tempted by a Patek annual... which will be the most I've spent.

I am less comfortable wearing stuff over around £1500 so it's getting to be a pointless hobby in terms of wearing them.. I do like looking at them though!

I wear either a Zex or a Citizen most days.... and I still enjoy the hunt for the next one, whatever it is.

Whatever the AD charges me when I get to the top of the list.
    The most I have ever spent was for a new ND Sub last week.

£6k for me - and only if I am confident the value will be retained. To be honest that is more than I am comfortable wearing on my wrist but it crept up on me having worn a GMT since the 90s that I imagined wasn't even worth the £2k I had paid for it. That also provides the rationale to gain my wife's approval (is an eye-roll approval?)

Journeyman
    I bought my first watches in the Soviet Union for the equivalent of about £10 each. I once paid for a 5 course meal in Moscow with one of them because I forgot my wallet.

My first proper watch purchase was sitting terrified in the sale room at Watches of Knightsbridge, with all these seasoned dealers. Luckily nobody else wanted this Breitling Top Time so I got a steal even with 20% on top.

Now I will spend up to 7K if I’m fairly certain I will get it back and that’s basically just Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I have a set list of watches I need to complete my collection, 4 left, trit dial 14060 & 16570, a white dial AP 15300 and my grail big ticket item 116508. So a few quid still to save, and stump up. The flipping days are gone so limit doesn't come into play now it's about finding those bits I've hankered after for some time.