closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s the most you’ll spend

Master
    I tend to use much of the money I have each month for 'frivolities' on my watch collection, as it's my primary hobby. Over the years, I've worked up to the current collection, with a Rollie, old Seamaster TV chrono and a SuperOcean, plus a few other less valuable.

The DJ is my most expensive. I plan this year to potentially consolidate that plus others and cash for a 16622 Yachtmaster. That would be my top end. No real desire to own something exotic.

I do feel like having money in watches is a reasonably safe place for it to be to not lose loads of cash, as long as they are properly insured, and notwithstanding servicing costs...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Two years ago I was seriously considering buying a Patek but common sense prevailed and I had to admit that a PP needs to be worn protected by a double cuff and the sleeve of a suit. As a retiree I nearly always dress casual, so I abandoned the idea. I allowed myself a budget of £60K but would have realistically only spent around £27K on a 5205.

The justification was that as the thing was likely to be an appreciating asset, I was not really spending money but rather converting cash into an investment.
    I'm a retiree too Mick. Though I did get my PP before I retired it will be the last watch I sell. The 5146 comes in at 1/2 your budget. Bought for £15,210 (new in 2006) now retails £30K+. There is something special about a PP. You can wear casually. I think I famously got called out here for wearing it gardening!

For your budget there are some very nice Calatrava to choose from. Martyn

Such a personal and it has to be said, interesting, question.

I’m relatively lucky in the no mortgage, grown up daughter, sensible(ish) wife, bracket. When funds allow I, or more accurately ‘we’, are happy to spend whatever we can afford for the things we really want. A couple of life changing events have reinforced this attitude, albeit right now the belts have tightened slightly.

The one thing I do really agree with is the fact that monetary expenditure doesn’t equal value or enjoyment. I’m as happy with a relatively cheap quartz beater or a vintage watch with a fascinating history, as the latest must have. Looking at my wrist with my ‘74 Tissot is just as enjoyable as a BB58.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    The most I have spent is £2500 on a pre owned 16610 about 10 years ago (on reflection it was a great buy). I’ve bought several other watches, each for £1-2K since. That feels like a sensible amount to spend for me.
    I’m currently looking at options to add the collection but finding it hard to justify the cost of another Rolex sports model in today’s prices. That said, if one from an AD became available I’d probably snap it up. I quite like the idea of a Tudor Black Bay GMT which is more sensible money. I guess my max spend is flexible depending on the watch but I’d struggle to justify more than £8K.

When i first started to have an interest in buying watches my comfort level was about 3K - you could buy quite a nice watch for that 20 years ago...
    I`ve gone on to buy a few at or around that value but considering the huge price increases we have seen in recent years my buying threshold has stayed at the same level having the effect of decreasing my buying options. Not that i`m in the market for anything new, anyway.
    It`s not that i wouldn`t feel comfortable wearing a higher value piece it`s just my original perception of what is an `expensive` watch has remained the same, i`d consolidate my current collection and would have no qualms about wearing a 15 - 20k watch, and that would be a AP 26400io please...

As others have said, it's very much down to personal circumstances and what you're buying. Is it 'just' an interesting bauble or might it hold value or increase? Surely this is a relevant question when deciding what's the most you'll spend. One of the most 'expensive' watches I ever bought turned out to be the cheapest because of the increase in value. Many sub £1,000 purchases turned out more expensive because they were sold at a loss.

So far the most I've spent on a single watch was £3.4k (for a vintage Speedy).
    My personal collection consists of around 15-20 watches, averaging a cost of around £200 each. Crappy watches - one might think, but it's just that I bought most of them on time, before the hype kicked in. They're some very nice vintage watches, and some are in the need of repair, or parts, I give that. It's not the value that makes me happy, but the treasure hunt bit, I'm sure many would agree.
    I would be willing to spend up to £10k on my dream watch, as soon as my life goals are achieved (living mortgage free in a lakeview house + certain passive income).

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    As others have said, it's very much down to personal circumstances and what you're buying. Is it 'just' an interesting bauble or might it hold value or increase? Surely this is a relevant question when deciding what's the most you'll spend.
    Absolutely - I'd happily buy a new steel Rolex Sub at RRP at the moment, but I wouldn't keep it for long

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Considering I'm happy with the state of my collection, I would spend at most £1200 for a new watch.

Previously it was around £2000 because I really wanted a watch at that price range.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I'm a retiree too Mick. Though I did get my PP before I retired it will be the last watch I sell. The 5146 comes in at 1/2 your budget. Bought for £15,210 (new in 2006) now retails £30K+. There is something special about a PP. You can wear casually. I think I famously got called out here for wearing it gardening!

For your budget there are some very nice Calatrava to choose from. Martyn
    I think I am past my buying days for nearly everything let alone watches.

Craftsman
    Fascinating thread. It made me think about my buying habits for sure. Interesting that value retention comes up a lot. I suppose because I only buy watches that I’ll keep for life that’s something I can’t relate to. Once the money has gone, for me it is gone; my executor can worry about market value. That does lead to a couple of guidelines for me though...

Firstly I won’t let the total value of my collection get to a level where we would be giving up something else that the money could be spent on. I don’t want to be thinking, ‘if only I sold that lot we could afford a [insert other desirable asset]’. I don’t think a hobby should ever impoverish other aspects of ones life.

Secondly I won’t buy an individual watch at a value such that I’d lose sleep if I lost it. I have lusted after high-end watches but have never acquired one for that reason. I don’t want to get involved in all the faff of buying insurance to feel ok wearing a watch. Hobbies should be fun, not stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    ...I don’t think a hobby should ever impoverish other aspects of ones life...
    I agree, and I do get your sentiment, but that's a constant trade-off - A £2K watch could mean a different holiday or car, maybe a weekend away somewhere, a redecorated room.

For me it makes no sense, for example, to buy a new Rolex, but never have a holiday or live in a cramped flat rather than a roomier property, but then others will say they get no pleasure from a holiday and don't need a bigger property (Many here, even myself sometimes, would argue some many would have been better spent in my life on buying a bigger property, but now it's large enough for two and I traded off the security of knowing I could always cover the mortgage against the gains of having a bigger house).

Everything is a trade-off against everything else, ultimately.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Depends on how the resale value for the watch looks. Right now, I'd happily pick up a PP 5711. Would wear it a few months and sell on :)

Most I did spend was $3140 US for my Panerai in 2005.

That was more than enough for me

DON

4k on a Rolex OP a few years back but I sold it as I realised I was sucked in by the Rolex bug rather than actually really liking the watch. 5k would likely be the max for me but I only own three watches at a given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My budget tends to be determined by mood.

The established brands, ones stocked by WoS for example, pretty much leave me cold, and the idea of sinking several thousand £ into one of theirs would make me really uncomfortable. A less ubiquitous watch brand, far less so.

Humble watches can, thank god, give great satisfaction. My Elliot Brown Mountain Rescue version 2 gives me more pleasure than my 16600 SD, at a fraction of the cost. Maybe bought it for the wrong reasons - perhaps should sell for the right one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have 3 "good" watches and pretty much insist on selling before I buy these days.
    The most i'll spend is 1-2k on top of whichever watch ive sold.

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    Depends on how the resale value for the watch looks. Right now, I'd happily pick up a PP 5711. Would wear it a few months and sell on :)
    Im happy to sell at Chrono 24 UK prices for a recent very good condition full set watch. Alternatively, my choice of super car and a Rolex GMT Pepsi ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    This thread is reminding me that I need to adjust how much I think things should cost to account for inflation. In my head things should still cost the same as twenty years ago - it’s not as if wages have increased as much as prices since then. According to the Bank of England, everything costs nearly 70% more than in 2001, which is probably when I established my comfort zone. Watches, inevitably, have gone up considerably more.

This explains why magazines keep describing £10k motorcycles as cheap when I think that’s quite a lot, and why I think a Royal Oak should really be about £7k. I suppose I can grudgingly admit that a really nice hyper luxury ‘exit watch’ might be the best part of £15k, so inevitably they’re actually £26k. I’m thinking here of a Royal Oak 15202, in the unlikely event you could even buy one - it’s a figure I’m wholly uncomfortable with, even if I had it going spare.

I suppose it’s necessary to adjust how much you think things cost every now and then, before you end up as saying, ‘In my day, you could get an Audemars Piguet for tuppence ha'penny and still have enough left for a Daytona’. It’s hard getting used to the idea that a wrist watch could really be worth that much though. Supply and demand say it is, but part of me still suspects it simply isn’t.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 6th February 2021 at 13:34.

Interesting topic
    My more expensive watch purchase was a Tudor Pelagos that I bought second hand for 2100£ a couple of years ago. Since then I have developed an interest in value for money watches in the sub500£ category. Vintage Soviet watches mainly, some affordable complications in Chinese watches and some Vostoks for the fun of playing with them.
    I cannot justify to myself spending more than 2 k per year in my hobbies as I do not believe in the myth of the Swiss brands anymore.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    I think that’s the same for a lot of us despite what we may say on here. I’m certain that if someone was to list a new Daytona on the sales corner at RRP there would be a lot of members reassessing how much they’ll spend on a watch.

Master
    I always buy pre-owned so someone else takes the biggest hit.

I've followed Archie Luxury's advice so I'm evens or gaining with the 16570, SMP 300, Type XX Aeronavale, Sinn 903 St and the Speedy Pro Man on the Moon

I'd like to limit at £5K but that isn't sufficient for a Reverso. Not interested in chasing 'bubbles' like the Subby.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 6th February 2021 at 20:34.

Craftsman
    As someone relatively new to this hobby, I notice I'm on a fairly steep upward trajectory. Last January I was surprised to find myself spending £400 on a new SARB from Japan, then in August around £620 on a Sinn 556 from SC, and now I'm trying (and failing it has to be said) to spend £2k on a Black Bay. So in a year I've gone from checking the time on my phone to being mildly frustrated not being able to spend £2k on a watch I clearly don't need. Didn't see that coming to be honest.

Around £45k, although most of my watches are £7-15k. On the list for 3, hoping to get at least one this year.

Grand Master
    the 2.5k i spent a few years ago on my polar explorer II is the most i'll likely ever spend unless i have another change in circumstance. i play around a LOT in the £100-£1k range though, i'm at about 25 watches currently. if i was to sell most and consolidate then i'd maybe spend a bit more. i'm a confirmed flipper though, and if i was to do that i'd still get bored and and up with several cheaper pieces , the rolex, and my gold vintage seamaster so i'd be back where i am again!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    It depends on circumstances IMHO. A few years ago I was happy to drop 12 odd k on a YM2, not an investment piece at all, but as I now am the proud owner of a mortgage I have to trim back dramatically.
    I would be very much a "1 In 1 out" person now, and not wishing to add much cash in any change.
    Still am drawn to the WG sky dweller tho......

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

For me I love vintage Speedmasters and 5 digit or older Rolex, the last watch I bought was a collectors set 16600 off here back in March at £7950, this is the most I’ve spent on a watch.

Saying that I have spent £9.5k in one go on 3 watches, I have since sold 2 of them for £6k combined and the one left which is a keeper is valued somewhere between £12k-£16k.

Whether it’s luck or just searching out the right watches at the right prices, I have always done well and never lost any money on a watch even though I rarely sell, this is the reason I don’t mind spending large sums on them, if I was losing money then I would probably have one watch I love and not several.

Also I don’t get wrist anxious, by that I mean having a large amount of money on your wrist as some people see it, I really don’t think about it like that but I’m always careful not to damage or mark them as I would any watch bar my G-Shock beater..

Master
    I think 3k is my top end at the moment, yes several watches I’d love to own have increased well above that level but mentally I cannot attribute a higher price to them so unless a bargain comes up on SC they will stay out of reach.
    But at the same time my watch wish list has spread in to less main stream brands.

I'm really confused how so many people seem to have a £2-3k limit when the top watch brand in the Friday thread every week without fail is Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm really confused how so many people seem to have a £2-3k limit when the top watch brand in the Friday thread every week without fail is Rolex.
    It might be the most common brand but the numbers of other brands shown far out number the Rolex shown.
    If you look at Wimms figures most brands listed are far cheaper then 3k buying used also factors in to the choice.

About 500 quid...seems to me theres' only diminishing returns after this point and I'm not looking for my watch to be an investment but as something to wear without fuss and there's other hobbys/activities at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It might be the most common brand but the numbers of other brands shown far out number the Rolex shown.
    If you look at Wimms figures most brands listed are far cheaper then 3k buying used also factors in to the choice.
    I think the people willing to spend big money aren't saying the figures out loud. I've seen jukeboxs say 45k and Martyn say 22k but most others, including me, have skirted the question a bit.

I said depends what it is as I wouldn't spend more than £2k on a Seiko or £500 on a G-Shock but I'd spend £10k without blinking on a Rolex or approx £16k on an Aquanaut assuming I had the cash on hand and was offered one.

Maybe "what's the most you've spent on a watch?"

You have obviously overlooked the fact that those who spend more haven’t commented:-). More or less.
    I do agree there is never a linear relationship between money spent on a watch and enjoyment derived. Plenty of watches at all cost levels to be enjoyed and cherished.

I think the people willing to spend big money aren't saying the figures out loud. I've seen jukeboxs say 45k and Martyn say 22k but most others, including me, have skirted the question a bit.

I said depends what it is as I wouldn't spend more than £2k on a Seiko or £500 on a G-Shock but I'd spend £10k without blinking on a Rolex or approx £16k on an Aquanaut assuming I had the cash on hand and was offered one.

Maybe "what's the most you've spent on a watch?"
    I think you maybe correct, the big spenders may not want to share exact figures for a number of reasons but these are the tiny minority of people here.

I think everyone has a maximum amount to spend on various brands in their head, it’s only natural and about the persons perception of the brand, I know I do although this has changed over the years for certain brands.

I have a feeling changing the question to “what is the most you have spent” would lead to similar a response and figures quoted. 2-3k represents a fair chunk of disposable income / savings, even for people on higher than average wage. Rolex watches formed about 12% of the watches shown on the Friday thread. They are not as common as we might think, certainly not as common as the number of threads they generate.

The most I've spent on a single watch was, I think, £2,300 for a pre-owned Tudor from here, the next one down was around £2k for a pre-owned GS SD. I can't see myself spending more on a single watch, certainly not in the short to medium term, not even if I consolidated the collection. Sure, there are plenty of pieces out there that I admire above those price points however I'm currently happy with having a wide choice of watches to choose from.

I do have a significant birthday coming up in a couple of years and I may be tempted to consolidate then, however I'm good as I am for now.

I’ve been on both extremes. I have spent £50 to £10k+ on watches. What I have realIsed is it’s not about what I spend , it’s more important that I chase what I actually like.
    If you can afford it spend what you like but these days I get as much joy spending £1k as I would spending ridiculous sums.

Master
    “Saying that I have spent £9.5k in one go on 3 watches, I have since sold 2 of them for £6k combined and the one left which is a keeper is valued somewhere between £12k-£16k”.

Murkeywaters, I remembered your incoming post about the three watches you bought from the same dealer in one day. That was back in November 2019. The Omega CK277-1 RAF fat arrow, step dial Speedmaster from 1971 and the Ed White. I was tempted by the fat arrow when you listed it for sale here. Hard to believe that you picked up all three for £9.5k. As you say, the Ed White is worth well in excess of what you paid for all three.

You only have to go back a decade to find (e.g.) 16610s at ~£2-3K. The comfort zone doesn't change for a lot of us, even if the prices have spiralled ever-upwards. I'd have tried a sub of some description if they were still around at that nowadays, but not an icecube-in-hell's-chance I'd pay the current going rate just to satisfy idle curiosity about a watch I'm half-hearted about.

---

This thread has been interesting actually, because its bought to light quite how many forum long-termers are primarily collection-minded enthusiasts and not investment-minded flippers. That's a Signal which is often drowned-out by the Noise generated by the "What's the best 'oral technique' to get myself on an AD's list?" brigade...

Heartening stuff.

Journeyman
    Currently £2.5k, Tudor BB....

When I got into watches say 10 yes ago, 300 quid gave me palpations!

Most of mine now range from 500-1500 (Oris(es), a few micros, certina, hamilton, rado.. that kind of range and I think theres some stunning watches in that peleice point. Sinn, bremont, superocean heritage, another Tudor, a railmasterare all on the radar but we're now pushing £2,3,4k

Unless my finances change considerably, I see my ceiling being around the £5k mark if I see something special enough.

Blog Entries
    Ummmmmm depends......

I have spent Lots on ‘investment’ pieces and TBH it is all they are, no bond.

My true love though, I think no more than 3 ish, there is a lot for quite a bit less that I need to own.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Most I have spent is £3.3k on an Explorer. That’s my limit.

I wear a BB58 most days that was £2600. That seems a reasonable amount for a daily.

Prior to that most days I wore a Zenith Rainbow which cost £1300.

I don’t think I could comfortably go over these figures.

Edit most people would consider these figures crazy.

As of now, £10,350.

Anyone care to guess why?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    As of now, £10,350.

Simon
    D-Blue of course ;)

As of now, £10,350.

Simon
    that's about a ceramic daytona at RRP right? (although I guess that's not the reason..)

Edited: this makes more sense
    D-Blue of course ;)

Master
    Currently about 3k for my cv211e or polar explorer
    Everything else is less

D-Blue of course ;)
    Spot on wileeeeey!

I could see a theoretical situation where I would consider buying a JC at rrp to replace my current 116660 plus two of my other current watches.

I can’t see myself being comfortable regularly wearing a watch valued at much more than that.

Simon

Spot on wileeeeey!

I could see a theoretical situation where I would consider buying a JC at rrp to replace my current 116660 plus two of my other current watches.

I can’t see myself being comfortable regularly wearing a watch valued at much more than that.

Simon
    Mine is tucked away, not worn often but I do enjoy wearing it. The dial is lovely in the sun and I doubt I'd sell it.

I don't have any experience of the older 11- ref with the thinner bracelet but the bracelet on the 12- is comfortable enough that I haven't had a reason to put on rubber it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    “Saying that I have spent £9.5k in one go on 3 watches, I have since sold 2 of them for £6k combined and the one left which is a keeper is valued somewhere between £12k-£16k”.

Murkeywaters, I remembered your incoming post about the three watches you bought from the same dealer in one day. That was back in November 2019. The Omega CK277-1 RAF fat arrow, step dial Speedmaster from 1971 and the Ed White. I was tempted by the fat arrow when you listed it for sale here. Hard to believe that you picked up all three for £9.5k. As you say, the Ed White is worth well in excess of what you paid for all three.
    Wow! You remembered all that well.. the 71 Speedmaster I had serviced by Duncan (watchbloke), it was a lovely watch but as I have another of the same reference I sold it to a friend on here.

The Omega Fat Arrow was a beautiful watch but with a few other watch purchases I had to move a few less worn watches on, as you said I tried to sell it here for a while and kept dropping the price but no luck.

I then listed it on eBay at an inflated asking price expecting lower offers, it sat there for quite a long time and I almost forgot about it, then one night it just sold at asking (£2795) to a Japanese buyer through the eBay international posting service.

The 105.003.64 Ed White is a keeper, I didn't think I would own such an early Speedmaster, especially in such original condition, as I said before I was in the right place at the right time and would have kicked myself had I not taken the chance.

One minor regret was missing out on a Heuer Autavia 2446c GMT, it was original and even had the box, papers and purchase receipt but the owner wanted £7k which was fair but expensive when you've just dropped £9.5k on 3 other watches! It still gnaws at me though as I love vintage Heuer's..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Wow! You remembered all that well.. the 71 Speedmaster I had serviced by Duncan (watchbloke), it was a lovely watch but as I have another of the same reference I sold it to a friend on here.

The Omega Fat Arrow was a beautiful watch but with a few other watch purchases I had to move a few less worn watches on, as you said I tried to sell it here for a while and kept dropping the price but no luck.

I then listed it on eBay at an inflated asking price expecting lower offers, it sat there for quite a long time and I almost forgot about it, then one night it just sold at asking (£2795) to a Japanese buyer through the eBay international posting service.

The 105.003.64 Ed White is a keeper, I didn't think I would own such an early Speedmaster, especially in such original condition, as I said before I was in the right place at the right time and would have kicked myself had I not taken the chance.

One minor regret was missing out on a Heuer Autavia 2446c GMT, it was original and even had the box, papers and purchase receipt but the owner wanted £7k which was fair but expensive when you've just dropped £9.5k on 3 other watches! It still gnaws at me though as I love vintage Heuer's..

That Autavia GMT is on my bucket list, what a lovely thing that is

Master
    I think there's a 'sweet spot' up to just over £10k, then you get into pieces that are either impossible to find or lose a heap of money if bought brand new.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk