closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Wifi experts on here?

Hybrid View

Craftsman

Any Wifi experts on here?

Can anyone help me with an answer to my problem?

I have good Wifi downstairs in my house and I also have ethernet to my smart tv and firestick. I have a cctv dvr in my loft and that is also connected to ethernet. I have reasonable Wifi upstairs. My problem is that outside I have recently fitted a bird box with a Wifi camera and connection to that is intermittent. I would like to get some kind of device/repeater/extender or whatever they are called fitted in my loft that my loft ethernet can be plugged into to give a stronger/better Wifi connection upstairs, especially to my bird box camera which is mounted under the eaves at the back of my house (router is downstairs at front of house). Obviously I’d need extra ports on that device, one to connect to the cctv dvr with a patch cable and perhaps a few spare ports so that I can eventually run a couple of ethernet cables to my upstairs bedrooms. A real bonus would be that it can use the same router name and password as my existing one. Can anyone suggest a link to a particular piece of equipment or at least tell me what it is called so that I can look for myself?

A pair of Powerline Adapters, one with WiFi would do the job. I use Devolo and can recommend THESE. There are cheaper manufacturers but I find Devolo excellent.

Master
    The short response is a mesh system.

The details depends on who your current broadband provider is and what kit you use.

This is the latest thread about them, have a read and post your questions after.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Mesh-wifi-kit

As you already have Ethernet going to the loft I suspect it should be a piece of the proverbial....

That being said if the upstairs wifi is good and only the camera has issues you could do it on the cheep with a cheap access point or even free if you have an old router kicking about.

Craftsman
    Personally I would add an Ethernet cable outdoor access point for the garden and use the same SSID.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app