closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Day date 40 olive dial “anniversary”

Rolex Day date 40 olive dial “anniversary”

So having contemplated a one watch exit strategy from the madness that is our hobby...My dream watch was always the white gold day date 40 meteorite dial with diamond baguette markers.
    Having spoken to my AD, it may be possible that I can shortly get a rose gold day date 40 with olive dial. (228235).
    I’ve tried a friends rose gold chocolate dial on and it’s a very well put together piece. Size wise, it really feels like the 40mm is the one to have over the 36mm.
    I like the subdued look of the olive dial as opposed to say the vibrant green of a hulk.
    Has anyone had one/currently got one and care to share an owners opinion? What’s the general consensus? Although I have some steel Rolex models, they definitely don’t feel as ostentatious as this piece so not sure how this would sit with me. Well aware of the security issues now a days but I’d have it insured and also only wear it for best...

Last edited by Yeti; 30th January 2021 at 21:28.

Gorgeous watch. I agree the dial looks fantastic in the photos, although I've never seen it in person.

That said, if it's your one watch exit plan, shouldn't it be something you're comfortable wearing everyday? Or perhaps I misunderstood.

Master
    It is a magnificent reference in that colour combo. I handled one and tried it on at the AD but decided to not pursue it. The warmth of the rose gold matches the subdued olive face, and it has a huge amount of presence. More so than any other Rolex imho. Subtle and warm the colours may be, but subtle it is not (if that makes any sense). For that reason, I passed.

Yep, lovely watch but I agree with some of the sentiment already expressed; for me, an exit watch would need to be something for every day, not high days and holy days.

Craftsman
    It is an absolutely stunning watch.

I don’t own one but I tried the Red gold / Green dial, White gold / Green dial and White gold / Blue dial models on last year (all with anniversary dial). Any one of them would make a lifetime watch imo. They are breathtaking on the wrist.

I bought the White gold / Blue dial and, if I could only have one, I would choose that model again. It was a tough call though. Ideally the Red gold / Green dial plus the White gold / Blue dial would have been the answer but I couldn’t justify it. Might just do that one day though if the chance arises.

My advice would be, just do it.

Master
    I’ve owned this model, although in my case, in white gold. But same dial. Very handsome but you might want to check ‘readability’. The green dial can make it difficult to read in poor light conditions, especially as there is no lume. This is compounded by the Roman markers, which are striking, but give the dial a more cluttered look compared with ‘stick’ markers ( which are lumed).
    Some people don’t mind, others struggle a bit. Can you try out this model? As for general appearance, these are striking, very handsome watches, but they are not ‘retiring’. Some people like this, others feel a bit uncomfortable.
    These are visually so powerful that you do need to try them, to see whether it works for you. I also intended it to be a ‘one watch’ solution, but it proved too much , too grand, for my everyday use.
    But that’s a totally personal thing. Good luck, it’s one heck of a watch.

I have the same watch.

Some time ago all three of my children needed help with their first home deposits in the first year so in a panic I sold it back to the dealer I bought it from.

I missed it so much I bought it back again and lost £6k over the process!!

It’s my ‘one day watch’ as in for many many years I aimed to have a Rolex DayDate ‘one day’ and despite it being very much a part of my ‘clear my mortgage early’ strategy it’s the very last one that I want to sell, to me it really is an ‘exit watch’ and (any security issues aside) really can be worn every day...
    The bracelet is the most comfortable of all my watches and the case sits beautifully on my wrist.

I manage a glorified skip-yard for a living and my daily is a WG Sub’ and if I didn’t have to deal with a few ‘undesirables’ on a daily basis I’d happily wear the DD instead.

In my opinion ‘go for it’, it’s one of the most popular combinations and even if you move it on shortly after buying you won’t take an absolute bath on it.

Last edited by spuds; 30th January 2021 at 23:08.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I’ve owned this model, although in my case, in white gold. But same dial. Very handsome but you might want to check ‘readability’. The green dial can make it difficult to read in poor light conditions, especially as there is no lume. This is compounded by the Roman markers, which are striking, but give the dial a more cluttered look compared with ‘stick’ markers ( which are lumed).
    Some people don’t mind, others struggle a bit. Can you try out this model? As for general appearance, these are striking, very handsome watches, but they are not ‘retiring’. Some people like this, others feel a bit uncomfortable.
    These are visually so powerful that you do need to try them, to see whether it works for you. I also intended it to be a ‘one watch’ solution, but it proved too much , too grand, for my everyday use.
    But that’s a totally personal thing. Good luck, it’s one heck of a watch.
    It’s so funny you should say this as when I tried my friends rose gold day date, I was looking at it on the wrist saying to myself that’s some wrist presence and almost being overwhelmed by it. Its like a luxury car the day date, every time you step out in one it’s an “occasion”. I suppose it comes down to if you want that feeling every time you wear it..seriously seriously tempted though..

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I have the same watch.

Some time ago all three of my children needed help with their first home deposits in the first year so in a panic I sold it back to the dealer I bought it from.

I missed it so much I bought it back again and lost £6k over the process!!

It’s my ‘one day watch’ as in for many many years I aimed to have a Rolex DayDate ‘one day’ and despite it being very much a part of my ‘clear my mortgage early’ strategy it’s the very last one that I want to sell, to me it really is an ‘exit watch’ and (any security issues aside) really can be worn every day...
    The bracelet is the most comfortable of all my watches and the case sits beautifully on my wrist.

I manage a glorified skip-yard for a living and my daily is a WG Sub’ and if I didn’t have to deal with a few ‘undesirables’ on a daily basis I’d happily wear the DD instead.

In my opinion ‘go for it’, it’s one of the most popular combinations and even if you move it on shortly after buying you won’t take an absolute bath on it.
    That’s a great insight..it’s definitely calling me..
    In regards to moving it on..I’ve done some digging and the trade are paying £33/£34k so it would seem a depreciation proof experience for a year or so to see how I get on as long as current demand/prices stay strong. (Price rise after I buy it as well should keep it painless as well). Think I’m going for it 👍🏻

The platinum ice blue quadrant motif is the one to have. Do it right or do it twice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    So having contemplated a one watch exit strategy from the madness that is our hobby...My dream watch was always the white gold day date 40 meteorite dial with diamond
    So what am I missing here ?

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    So what am I missing here ?
    They are a bit rarer to find and the AD kindly said they may be able to facilitate this watch very soon..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    The platinum ice blue quadrant motif is the one to have. Do it right or do it twice.
    Almost

Blog Entries
    They are a bit rarer to find and the AD kindly said they may be able to facilitate this watch very soon..
    When you are spending this £££ hold out for what you really want

Almost
    Love that and even tried a platinum model on but personally I honestly prefer the ‘classy bling’ (is there such a thing?) of Rose Gold....

Obviously everyone has their own preference and all beautiful watches.

When you are spending this £££ hold out for what you really want
    But then I have to be honest with myself. I would love the white gold meteorite and I mean love it. But, I’ve never spent £30k+ plus on a watch. The olive dial I could buy, wear and if in 6/12 months I wanted back in to another watch I could probably come out evens. The white gold meteorite I’m pretty sure I’d take a big bath if I didn’t gel with it or got bored of it ..I doubt I would get bored but you never know. So yes it’s sad I have to take a financial view on it but I’m only being honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost
    Love the platinum but not sold on smooth bezels. Beautiful nonetheless.

Master
    Go for it. It is a proper bit of man jewellery.

When I bought mine back back in 2017 (paid £24,500) it was a toss up between the olive and the chocolate dial. As much as I loved the look, and sometimes wonder if I made the right decision, I went for the chocolate baton dial for the lume.

As an every day watch I wouldn't recommend it. It's a little too bling for everyday environments. Mine is my Sunday watch. Wearing it once a week makes it feel all the more special. It has a wonderful warmth to it. The weight is part of it's charm.

If you have a wrist of more than 7.5 inches, you may need to purchase an additional link, which will set you back the best part of a monkey.

If you can, go for it!

Craftsman
    I’d go for it ! The best looking watch on the market if you ask me. It’s the one I’d look to thin down the collection to come retirement time !

Master
    This is a spooky thread for me. I’ve been contemplating a gold watch for some time (I intend to reduce my collection down first) and narrowed it down to a few - AP RO (highly unlikely as I’d have to sell too many watches), VC Overseas new gold version (unlikely again cost wise), green dial Daytona (not sure yellow gold is for me) rose gold daytona with chocolate dial of some sort (quite possibly) and . . . . . . . . .

Olive green or chocolate brown Day date! I’ve spent some time this month looking into these - they are the hardest ones to get now apparently. There is lots of discussion on them on forums recently, may be worth looking over there. The only negative comment (not really negative) I seem to have found is that the olive dial appears to work better on white gold as opposed to rose gold. I’m hoping to get to try one or both on after lockdown, subject to them being available.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    This is a spooky thread for me. I’ve been contemplating a gold watch for some time (I intend to reduce my collection down first) and narrowed it down to a few - AP RO (highly unlikely as I’d have to sell too many watches), VC Overseas new gold version (unlikely again cost wise), green dial Daytona (not sure yellow gold is for me) rose gold daytona with chocolate dial of some sort (quite possibly) and . . . . . . . . .

Olive green or chocolate brown Day date! I’ve spent some time this month looking into these - they are the hardest ones to get now apparently. There is lots of discussion on them on forums recently, may be worth looking over there. The only negative comment (not really negative) I seem to have found is that the olive dial appears to work better on white gold as opposed to rose gold. I’m hoping to get to try one or both on after lockdown, subject to them being available.
    I too looked at the Daytona with green dial. Virtually impossible to get my AD said. He has seen 1 in 2 years and he gets plenty of hot watches come through.
    I’ve seen the olive dial on the white gold which is beautiful, I just think the rose pips it as the rose has a hue about it.
    Where are the discussions about the olive/chocolate dial? I’d love to have a read..

Craftsman

I can’t recommend strongly enough trying these watches side by side. It is hard to compare by memory. Seeing them together flipped my choice completely. Not easy to do I know. (Fwiw, I found that Prestons were more than happy to pull watches from anywhere in their network to my chosen branch for viewing and with no pressure to buy).

Any of the day date range is a great watch choice. I wouldn’t recommend daily wear of them though - keeping them back for high days and holy days is a good idea as it makes the wearing experience all the more special. The rose gold and chocolate looks lovely in photos but Iv never seen one in the flesh.

Master
    Here’s the olive green with white gold. I prefer this combination, because i like white gold best.
    Or, to go a bit wider, here’s the white gold with rhodium dial.
    But my personal favourite strays away from the DayDate to the white gold Daytona. Just so special...
    So many choices. It’s tricky.
    Incidentally, when I first got a DD40 five years ago, there wasn’t so much interest. Indeed, there was less interest in all gold watches. It was the endless rise in the price of used steel Rolexes which sparked the growth in the gold watch market...because the price gap shrunk to a surprising degree. Now, that’s changed as the market caught up. But for a while, there were some real bargains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 31st January 2021 at 11:01.

Craftsman
    The white gold and the sunburst dials do vary with light conditions.....

Here’s the olive green with white gold. I prefer this combination, because i like white gold best.
    But my personal favourite strays away from the DayDate to the white gold Daytona. Just so special...

Lovely collection there sir! That’s some serious metal right there!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    I do like that blue dial on the white gold. Tried both green and brown on the rose gold and both were lovely, but not at the same time, so couldn’t say which was nicer

Master
    Thank you ‘stone wood’ trouble is, I sold them, and made a loss on every one. Really dumb, or just bad timing....

Master
    I too looked at the Daytona with green dial. Virtually impossible to get my AD said. He has seen 1 in 2 years and he gets plenty of hot watches come through.
    I’ve seen the olive dial on the white gold which is beautiful, I just think the rose pips it as the rose has a hue about it.
    Where are the discussions about the olive/chocolate dial? I’d love to have a read..
    There seem to be literally dozens of posts on Rolex forums in the last few months or maybe I’ve just noticed as it’s of interest to me. Seems like gold is the new steel! Here’s a couple of current ones but if you look over there you’ll find them:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=784252

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786767

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=787535

Incidentally, when I first got a DD40 five years ago, there wasn’t so much interest. Indeed, there was less interest in all gold watches. It was the endless rise in the price of used steel Rolexes which sparked the growth in the gold watch market...because the price gap shrunk to a surprising degree. Now, that’s changed as the market caught up. But for a while, there were some real bargains.
    I wouldn’t buy white gold as I have enough steel watches and would love to try a different look - rose/pink gold . . . . However the blue dial Daytona is the one I’d happily make an exception for. I know watch dealers that wear that as their main watch.

Love the platinum but not sold on smooth bezels. Beautiful nonetheless.

Have to agree with you, much prefer it to have the fluted bezel.

I asked my AD once, why they didn't do it and they replied that it was harder to make a fluted bezel from Platinum. Though I was never sure, whether that was correct!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Have to agree with you, much prefer it to have the fluted bezel.

I asked my AD once, why they didn't do it and they replied that it was harder to make a fluted bezel from Platinum. Though I was never sure, whether that was correct!
    That makes sense Tony. Gold is $1,848 an ounce and platinum is $1,107 an ounce, yet platinum watches are more expensive. Someone told me once that it’s a lot harder to work with and far more wastage, hence the higher price. Can’t say it’s definitely true but that seems to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    On paper the blue would be almost the last dial colour I'd choose due to DateJust similarity but I have to say those photos are superb and would change my mind too. The olive dial with white gold is quite special and I've tried one on but the blue in those photos looks better despite the DateJust overlap.

Blog Entries
    Just a curve ball. All this talk of gold Rolex watches - how about the YM Rose Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Just a curve ball. All this talk of gold Rolex watches - how about the YM Rose Gold?

It has a rubber strap, rather than a PM bracelet. Therefore too understated.😀

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    It has a rubber strap, rather than a PM bracelet. Therefore too understated.
    PM bracelet and not too understated then. In that case . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Not worth the price for a rubber strap in my opinion - For a little extra a full solid gold case and bracelet is a no brainier for me over a gold watch with a rubber bracelet. More bang for buck if you will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    It has a rubber strap, rather than a PM bracelet. Therefore too understated.
    Rubber strap - how very dare you Sir! It is an OysterFlex Bracelet!!

https://content.rolex.com/dam/about-...rores422hq.mp4

"
    OYSTERFLEX

At the heart of the innovative Oysterflex bracelet in elastomer developed by Rolex is a superelastic metal blade. It provides the robustness and reliability of a metal bracelet, while preserving the comfort and suppleness of an elastomer strap.
    "

BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Not worth the price for a rubber strap in my opinion - For a little extra a full solid gold case and bracelet is a no brainier for me over a gold watch with a rubber bracelet. More bang for buck if you will.

Is that correct? The models using Oysterflex are about £8000 less expensive. That’s hardly a ‘little extra’. And bear in mind that the Oysterflex comes with a large gold clasp.
    I find they offer an interesting alternative. Sometimes a heavy gold bracelet is nice, sometimes the lightness and flexibility of the Oysterflex is useful.
    But the Gold bracelet is not better value...It costs a great deal more.

Blog Entries
    ..one watch exit strategy ... only wear it for best...
    OP: surely these are contrary statements - or would you just plan to only wear a watch for "best"? I would get a one-watch you could comfortably - if you don't feel comfortable wear the DD all the time - I'd chose something else

Dave O'Sullivan recently got the new 41mm version of that. Not for me personally but it is unquestionably absolutely stunning. I think the dial on the 41 version might be different as the pics look deeper than richer than all the ones I've seen before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Dave O'Sullivan recently got the new 41mm version of that. Not for me personally but it is unquestionably absolutely stunning. I think the dial on the 41 version might be different as the pics look deeper than richer than all the ones I've seen before.
    This is my dads watch but he’s not been wearing it as he’s also got the same watch with a black dial. As I’m keen on getting a gold watch in the future I’ve borrowed it today to see if I’d consider yellow gold as an option. I’ll wear it a few days and see what I think. I helped source this for him from a grey dealer a few years ago. Came from Italy of I recall correctly and was around £18,000 BNIB. Just had a look on c24. Cheapest is around £26,000 for this model. Crazy as gold always seemed to be heavily discounted if I recall correctly.

wow, what a thread! I was looking at a DD40 Olive dial, rose gold too as an upcoming large birthday present. This thread hasn't helped me as I was just coming out through the other side and passing over the DD option, but just as i thought i was out, you pulled me back in!
    FWIW I too thought the rose gold looked the best but couldn't see me wearing it that much and I want something to wear more regularly. Having seen the white gold, olive dial combo on here; I could be tempted back.
    It's also interesting that if you're a watch guy or not these DD's do have a big pull. That's part of what was putting me off, I didn't want an obvious choice. I think everyone will know it's a Rolex but perhaps only a WIS would spot the dial and know which one.
    If you're brave go for rose gold, white gold for subtlety but green dial for sure.
    Good luck, D

Master
    An absolutely stunner, its classic looks and green dial are just something to just want to desire.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

That makes sense Tony. Gold is $1,848 an ounce and platinum is $1,107 an ounce, yet platinum watches are more expensive. Someone told me once that it’s a lot harder to work with and far more wastage, hence the higher price. Can’t say it’s definitely true but that seems to make sense.
    Yes I've also heard that platinum is considerably more difficult to work with and wears down tooling faster, although I'm not sure wastage of the material itself is a factor (as you can just reuse it).

In addition, platinum watches are 95% pure vs gold watches at 75% pure. Plus platinum is a denser, heavier metal, so you use proportionally more platinum than gold when making an equally sized watch (as it will weigh more) before even taking into account the relative purity. I don't think this fully closes the gap to the gold price, but it no doubt contributes. Finally, I think perception has a big role, for many years the spot price of platinum was more expensive than gold and years of advertising has locked in consumers minds that platinum is the most premium option. Personally though, I think gold is gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    That Rose Day Date with the olive dial is a beast of a watch, and would definitely be on my shortlist for an end game watch. It's one of those watches you're always going to know you have on. I suppose the risk is there if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I for one would feel fine wearing one every day. But then I don't go into London or any other large cities, and it would probably be covered by my sleeves if I did.
    You're only this way once.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

As much I don't see myself wearing a gold rolex anytime soon... this day date is certainly up there with the most beautiful modern Rolexes. Would love to see a picture if the OP does decide to get it!

Craftsman
    I have the rose with the olive dial myself, as many have already said it is a stunning piece, but personally I would not say it is a one and only watch, i work in a warehouse and certainly wouldn’t wear it for work, it’s my first day date and I looked at al the versions of gold, and for me the rose is by far the best option, OP you won’t regret it if you decide on one.

Tony

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The Olive RG DD is insanely popular and rightly so but agree it isn't a daily.
    Perhaps RG DD + 16610 for knocking about in.