closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Day date 40 olive dial “anniversary”

Master
    Thing is, the DD is an imposing and handsome watch, but it’s also (I think) quite old-fashioned looking. It doesn’t feel very modern , if that matters......I tried to use it as an ‘everyday’ watch, and because it was white gold, that was probably easier. Even so, it sometimes just felt too much for ordinary activities.
    This is, obviously, very personal, and other users may be entirely comfortable. The bracelet is perhaps the best money can buy. Just gorgeous draped round the wrist.
    Another issue is visibility. Especially with the Roman configuration in poor light. And the dial colours also need quite a lot of thought. The olive green is Just one of the many options, and is only available with the Roman numerals (which I don’t like).

So, great and historic watch. Pure heaven for some, but be cautious when making a choice.....it’s easy to get wrong, I think.
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd February 2021 at 13:59.

What colour combinations do people like on the DD?

Personally I love the rose gold with the chocolate baton dial, but I really don’t like Roman numerals. If I did I think I’d go for the green dial.

Master
    If I were starting again, I’d make two initial choices....colour of the gold and colour of the dial....which in turn determines the crucial choice between Roman and ‘stick’ markers. Only the stick configuration is lumed. I know some owners have found the Roman markers with dark dial almost unreadable in poor light.
    This might be because DD owners are often older than average......

Master
    My plan to get a gold watch has been ongoing for sometime and morphing along the way - I’ve considered AP RO, VC overseas, various PP complications on strap, various Daytona options and the DD40.

I’ve now ruled out yellow gold, practically ruled out white gold so leaves rose/pink gold. Ruled out strap options so that’s PP gone. AP would be my first choice but can’t see me putting that amount of money in a single watch so highly unlikely, which rules VC almost out as well.

So I’m down to a chocolate dial Daytona in rose gold of some sort, or two DD40 - olive green or chocolate in rose gold. Can’t decide on baton or Roman. Plus I’d want to see all of them in the flesh first which is easier said than done, not because of lockdown, because everything is harder to get.

Oh and I’ve got enough money in watches so I’m not buying until I’ve sold. Only sold 1 so far this year so need to sell 2 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    My plan to get a gold watch has been ongoing for sometime and morphing along the way - I’ve considered AP RO, VC overseas, various PP complications on strap, various Daytona options and the DD40.

I’ve now ruled out yellow gold, practically ruled out white gold so leaves rose/pink gold. Ruled out strap options so that’s PP gone. AP would be my first choice but can’t see me putting that amount of money in a single watch so highly unlikely, which rules VC almost out as well.

So I’m down to a chocolate dial Daytona in rose gold of some sort, or two DD40 - olive green or chocolate in rose gold. Can’t decide on baton or Roman. Plus I’d want to see all of them in the flesh first which is easier said than done, not because of lockdown, because everything is harder to get.

Oh and I’ve got enough money in watches so I’m not buying until I’ve sold. Only sold 1 so far this year so need to sell 2 more.

Any more updates here chap? Think you’re applying the right logic to what you’re considering as an all gold watch. I’m also considering something in the same ball park right now (professional model not DD) so watching this thread with interest!

Which watches might you sell do you think?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Any more updates here chap? Think you’re applying the right logic to what you’re considering as an all gold watch. I’m also considering something in the same ball park right now (professional model not DD) so watching this thread with interest!

Which watches might you sell do you think?
    Yes and no as to updates Gareth. With lockdown there’s not a lot I can really do, however I’ve got zoom meetings with VC and AP lined up. Spoken to Rolex and after lockdown I’ll see the DD and hopefully some professional Daytona models, possibly some PP, though that’s not really on my radar.

As to what I’d sell, I can’t make my mind up - I really like every watch I’ve got, but I’m not going to put more money into watches, so something has to give. If I buy an AP or VC I’d sell the models of theirs that I have as that makes sense. Plus maybe my SD43 and green sub. AP is what I’d go for if the truth be told, but I just can’t get my head around putting that much money into a watch, even if I funded it with other watches.

If I was betting on what I’d do, I’d bet that seeing the DD will tick the box (I think it’s the bracelet that heavily draws me to it) and I’ll lean towards a rose gold Daytona. I’m in no rush though and if it takes a year, so be it.

Thanks for the reply.

Given that you love your watches and the hobby of collecting a variety of brands/models I’m not sure I see the logic of pursuing the AP or VC all gold models given what you’ve said here. If going for one of those at, say, c.£85k for the VC or c. £50k for the AP (assuming I’m looking at the right respective models/bought new and at list...give or take) means selling a swathe of your Rolex collection it’s a very big move indeed into a single piece.

Whereas if you do pursue the DD route it means less moving around of your collection from what you’ve said and at c £30k (still a significant sum for any watch) it’s not so much the huge move of the other 2 offerings.

As you rightly say it’s a pain that during lockdown such deliberation is even more challenging!

I think it’s the bracelet that heavily draws me to it
    It has that effect on people...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    It has that effect on people...

Totally! It’s stunning.

I love it.

On a more practical level I assume there’s no micro adjust?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I love it.

On a more practical level I assume there’s no micro adjust?
    Sadly not. The DD40 is supremely comfortable when the fit is perfect but is can be a PITA to get it right. When we are out of tier 4 I’ll be buying a 1.25 link for mine so that I have a finer range of fittings available.

Totally! It’s stunning.
    Reading between the lines, you’re uneasy at having all that money tied up in one watch? Yet you already have said amount tied up in various watches!
    Can you not just look at one watch to rule them all. A stunner, not the norm run of the mill type.

I’m Confused ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Sadly not. The DD40 is supremely comfortable when the fit is perfect but is can be a PITA to get it right. When we are out of tier 4 I’ll be buying a 1.25 link for mine so that I have a finer range of fittings available.
    I did that because you need to get the fit right (obviously!). An extra small link cost about £500. Ouch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Reading between the lines, you’re uneasy at having all that money tied up in one watch? Yet you already have said amount tied up in various watches!
    Can you not just look at one watch to rule them all. A stunner, not the norm run of the mill type.

I’m Confused ?
    I’m confused myself

Seriously though for me it’s a quite a big decision so threads like this help. I’m also not in a rush. Owning say 3 watches worth the same value as 1 is an easy choice as that’s what I’m doing right now. Selling 3 for that 1 watch is much harder. I’m sure I’ll get there sooner rather than later and maybe I’m just overthinking it!

Craftsman
    I’m confused myself

Seriously though for me it’s a quite a big decision so threads like this help. I’m also not in a rush. Owning say 3 watches worth the same value as 1 is an easy choice as that’s what I’m doing right now. Selling 3 for that 1 watch is much harder. I’m sure I’ll get there sooner rather than later and maybe I’m just overthinking it!
    That doesn’t sound at all confused imo. I feel precisely the same. I am completely comfortable with the value of my collection but there is no way in hell that I would walk around with a single watch of that total value strapped to my wrist.

I’m confused myself

I'm the same to be fair. I have six ceramic Rolex and the total value is quite high but I just don't think I would be able to liquidate two or three to buy a precious metal watch. Having that much tied up in one watch would scare me too much even though I they're the same value as a platinum DD40. Somehow it's different in my head.

I do keep thinking about something white gold on Oysterflex as a potential entry to precious metal but once the begins with a 3 I don't have the balls so anything on a bracelet is out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm the same to be fair. I have six ceramic Rolex and the total value is quite high but I just don't think I would be able to liquidate two or three to buy a precious metal watch. Having that much tied up in one watch would scare me too much even though I they're the same value as a platinum DD40. Somehow it's different in my head.

I do keep thinking about something white gold on Oysterflex as a potential entry to precious metal but once the begins with a 3 I don't have the balls so anything on a bracelet is out of the equation.
    Plus there are insurance implications. Else I’d have chopped a few in for a WG Daytona on Oysterflex.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Plus there are insurance implications. Else I’d have chopped a few in for a WG Daytona on Oysterflex.
    So long as you stay out of 'Londonistan' I'm sure you'll be fine Ally, no insurance needed ;)

WG Daytona on Oysterflex is top of my list to try on. Looks incredible, but I fear it will be too small and I still have three more stainless steel models to add to the collection at some point.

I’m confused myself

No you’re not, it’s a huge step.
    I’ve only 3 watches that would sell. The others are peanuts
    So I’d raise at a guess? £15k so not much of an exit or one watch really!
    Rolex Milgauss Black GV £5k
    Sea Dweller 2000 “my” last of drilled lugs Swiss Dial £8k
    Offshore Professional £2k Don’t wear it.
    All guesses on values as they fetch what they fetch.
    So not your level of one watch.
    My temptation at £15k could be a JlC
    Poss.
    Or just keep these 3 till I die and Son has the issue to deal with.
    Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post

Thanks. I’m quite picky about watch sizing, and my wrist seems to change size a lot with the seasons. I usually go for a watch with decent micro adjust which always allows me to have it sized comfortably. Sounds like with a DD I’d be getting the AD to add / remove a link every spring and autumn.

How easy to you owners find it to get a comfortable size?

I think I’ve fallen a little bit in love with the Rose gold with chocolate dial combination. A watch that gives a similar(ish) look with bracelet micro adjust is the RG Skydweller, but the price is POA so I assume significantly more than a DD.

I think I’ve fallen a little bit in love with the Rose gold with chocolate dial combination. A watch that gives a similar(ish) look with bracelet micro adjust is the RG Skydweller, but the price is POA so I assume significantly more than a DD.
    POA kicks in around £40k. The full gold SkyDweller was around £33k but when they introduced the SkyDweller on Oysterflex the price increased by quite a serious amount for the precious metal bracelet version.

Thank you. £40k is too rich for me, sadly

That olive dial looks good and I also like the white/silver dial. Beautiful!

I photographed my friend's 40mm DD recently and I was really impressed of the champagne dial. Personally I think it's the classiest and the "safest bet" as it's completely timeless. For me the DD is always synonymous to that dial.

https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...mm-ref-228238/

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    That olive dial looks good and I also like the white/silver dial. Beautiful!

I photographed my friend's 40mm DD recently and I was really impressed of the champagne dial. Personally I think it's the classiest and the "safest bet" as it's completely timeless. For me the DD is always synonymous to that dial.

https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...mm-ref-228238/
    My wife assures me that there is nothing safe in me spending 40 large on a watch. I have no idea what she means

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    My wife assures me that there is nothing safe in me spending 40 large on a watch. I have no idea what she means
    To find out what she means you really should go out and spend that 40 large on a watch so you’d then know I can’t say for certain but I reckon it sounds positive

Master
    You can never be sure, but if you buy a DD at retail, I think you’d be lucky not to lose, although hopefully not a lot. That’s been my experience anyway. After all, anyone can order a DD from a Rolex dealer. Just be patient for a few months. So no-one needs to pay above retail unless in a hurry.
    You usually have to wait, and you’ll be told how hard it is , etc etc. But you should get what you want, it’s business.
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th February 2021 at 11:22.

Craftsman
    I really love the hour markers on these day dates. Sadly, I don't think i could pull off the full gold look

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    So having contemplated a one watch exit strategy from the madness that is our hobby...My dream watch was always the white gold day date 40 meteorite dial with diamond baguette markers.
    Having spoken to my AD, it may be possible that I can shortly get a rose gold day date 40 with olive dial. (228235).
    I’ve tried a friends rose gold chocolate dial on and it’s a very well put together piece. Size wise, it really feels like the 40mm is the one to have over the 36mm.
    I like the subdued look of the olive dial as opposed to say the vibrant green of a hulk.
    Has anyone had one/currently got one and care to share an owners opinion? What’s the general consensus? Although I have some steel Rolex models, they definitely don’t feel as ostentatious as this piece so not sure how this would sit with me. Well aware of the security issues now a days but I’d have it insured and also only wear it for best...

Tyson Fury thinks this watch is a ‘knock out’, too ;)

https://timeandtidewatches.com/tyson...x-day-date-40/

Journeyman
    I have the chocolate dial with roman numerals as the olive wasn't available. I wouldn't say i prefer the chocolate but if and when i get an olive i don't think the chocolate would be going anywhere. It is stunning, but i definitely need an olive.

I’m confused myself

I may have missed it but would be interested in your thoughts re your AP Vs the potential DD40. I'm considering a WG Rolex (probably on Oysterflex) at some point but my friend bought a stainless steel AP RO chrono yesterday and the pricing can be pretty similar. Three hander RO vs WG Oysterflex for around 20-23k or the RO Chrono Vs full WG on bracelet if spending around 30k

Did the AP not scratch the itch for you? If you do go for the DD40 would the AP be one of the watches you sell?

I had the classic combination of yellow gold / champagne dial / baton markers.
    If you are spending that kind of dollar I’d go iconic full bling.

I loved the watch - the bracelet alone is a work of art.
    Unfortunately I sold mine to buy something else which I regret doing now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I may have missed it but would be interested in your thoughts re your AP Vs the potential DD40. I'm considering a WG Rolex (probably on Oysterflex) at some point but my friend bought a stainless steel AP RO chrono yesterday and the pricing can be pretty similar. Three hander RO vs WG Oysterflex for around 20-23k or the RO Chrono Vs full WG on bracelet if spending around 30k

Did the AP not scratch the itch for you? If you do go for the DD40 would the AP be one of the watches you sell?
    Hi

I've only had my AP since maybe September so early days of ownership still and I've never handled an offshore, so my experience is purely on the RO, but right now I don't see selling that at all in the future. I may change my mind but as it stands I think the quality of AP and the bracelet is right up there. It would be almost my last to go if I had to sell off my watches. The only other possibility for selling would be to buy another AP - ROC maybe, blue dial definitely, gold unlikely but never say never. Even then not sure I'd sell.

Your question is a tough one as I've considered the very same thing. When you compare gold against steel it seems an obvious answer and probably in the past with the deals on gold, it was a no brainer. Gold is becoming harder to get. I've heard that from different AD's and members on here that I've spoken to, so the deals are long gone. It's not easy to get. Also with a potential price rise in April to coincide with the new models maybe?

I think what has thrown it for me is the grey pricing. If you compare a Royal Oak against a Daytona and a Pepsi I'd pick the two Rolex watches - but that's based on being able to buy the Rolexes (even the AP maybe). However if you compare the RO against a steel Daytona priced at 20k then the AP wins hands down. For me anyway. Doesn't answer your question, but I think you have to break it down the watches individually based on what you want and value. I'd be very happy with the examples you gave and find it hard which to prefer. Availability may be your final answer :-)

What colour combinations do people like on the DD?

Personally I love the rose gold with the chocolate baton dial, but I really don’t like Roman numerals. If I did I think I’d go for the green dial.
    I love mine. Got off Tony top cat last year on here. Fabulous watches. It’s my first gold watch
    Yellow gold. 118238
    Couple of pics https://postimg.cc/gallery/crhBWyr

Hi

I've only had my AP since maybe September so early days of ownership still and I've never handled an offshore, so my experience is purely on the RO, but right now I don't see selling that at all in the future. I may change my mind but as it stands I think the quality of AP and the bracelet is right up there. It would be almost my last to go if I had to sell off my watches. The only other possibility for selling would be to buy another AP - ROC maybe, blue dial definitely, gold unlikely but never say never. Even then not sure I'd sell.

Your question is a tough one as I've considered the very same thing. When you compare gold against steel it seems an obvious answer and probably in the past with the deals on gold, it was a no brainer. Gold is becoming harder to get. I've heard that from different AD's and members on here that I've spoken to, so the deals are long gone. It's not easy to get. Also with a potential price rise in April to coincide with the new models maybe?

I think what has thrown it for me is the grey pricing. If you compare a Royal Oak against a Daytona and a Pepsi I'd pick the two Rolex watches - but that's based on being able to buy the Rolexes (even the AP maybe). However if you compare the RO against a steel Daytona priced at 20k then the AP wins hands down. For me anyway. Doesn't answer your question, but I think you have to break it down the watches individually based on what you want and value. I'd be very happy with the examples you gave and find it hard which to prefer. Availability may be your final answer :-)
    I think you're completely right. I have six stainless steel ceramics now and a seventh on the way at some point whenever I get the call, clearly a bit of a fan boy. At the same time I'm very aware that I essentially have the same watch six different ways and there isn't one which stands out as special.

I've been on the list for an Aquanaut for four years now and really that would fill the slot nicely but the store I'm on the list at transferred me to a different store's list as they gave up their Patek status to double down on Rolex. I've been told I'll get it at some point, but not to hold my breath. I think it'll be a miracle if I get one. This is where the WG Rolex Vs SS RO comes in. The chrono is too rich for my wallet but the basic 41mm in blue or white could scratch the itch, and is around the same price as a WG Daytona on Oysterflex.

I think availability will be the decider too, thank you for your thoughts.

Cool

Can't beat a bit of bias......

To be fair I was totally sold on Everose with Olive but I struggle with all Rose Gold watches as I am a shy, retiring flower these days.

Master
    Can't beat a bit of bias......

To be fair I was totally sold on Everose with Olive but I struggle with all Rose Gold watches as I am a shy, retiring flower these days.
    You always seem very shy and retiring Gareth

Stunning watch, I’m now going full circle and considering something in white gold myself!

Master

Sold that one on about 3 mts ago for 4.5K
    Loved the dial
    36mm one

I’m now going full circle and considering something in white gold myself!
    WG Daytona with blue dial.

Not with that bezel when the ceramics exist and will in all likelihood be expanded in April.

Master
    Blue bezel maybe.

I’m now going full circle and considering something in white gold myself!
    You should have gone after that WG BLRO on SC and offered some of yours at current trade prices, you would would have basically been trading a steel watch bought at list for near as damn it a WG available below list. There was a good deal to be done there.

Master
    I had one and, stupidly, sold it. To me, the most beautiful watch Rolex have made in recent years. And all the nicer for having a proper solid gold bezel. Sheer class.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You should have gone after that WG BLRO on SC and offered some of yours at current trade prices, you would would have basically been trading a steel watch bought at list for near as damn it a WG available below list. There was a good deal to be done there.

Except that 2014 WG BLRO on SC wasn't at Trade or anywhere near it....

Blue bezel maybe.

I like your thinking here......bit like the A-Team and a plan all comes together!

Master
    I did consider that at the time. I like the new blue bezel white gold sub that launched last year.

I did wonder what the trade offer was but when he let it go to the trade instead it must have been quite close?

Did you ever own one of those, Ally? I remember the BLNR and that 1675, when you lost all your TZ brownie points:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rawn-from-sale

The guy listed watches he would take in trade inc a Ceramic Daytona. Logically any trade on that is going to be close to £20k. So if you bought the Daytona for £9k and put £5k cash on top you are meeting the £25k asking price of the WG BLRO for a £14k outlay.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I had one and, stupidly, sold it. To me, the most beautiful watch Rolex have made in recent years. And all the nicer for having a proper solid gold bezel. Sheer class.
    I have to agree about the gold bezel. My dream release for April would be a WG Daytona with a white dial. It would look just like 116520 apart from the radial numerals on the bezel. Perfection!

Master
    The guy listed watches he would take in trade inc a Ceramic Daytona. Logically any trade on that is going to be close to £20k. So if you bought the Daytona for £9k and put £5k cash on top you are meeting the £25k asking price of the WG BLRO for a £14k outlay.
    Who gets a Daytaona C at £9k!?
    They must have spent £xxx on other rubbish first...but the above works well for our WIS calculators!