closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Triumph TR is back home! + My own workshop is nearly ready!

Blog Entries

My Triumph TR is back home! + My own workshop is nearly ready!

My TR3A has been in the workshop for ages. The overdrive failed and proper parts were hard to find:I needed a couple of O-rings, but the aftermarket parts were rubbish, so kept on looking for the orginals or, proper upgrades. Last October, I managed to find a couple of proper O-rings: a guy who's heavily invoived in restoring and refurbishing complet Lackcock De Normanville had suffered from the same problem and he'd decided to have a bunch of those O-rings made. Two rings later and an afternoon tinkering was enough to get the TR in tip-top condition once again!

At the same time we'd decided that we would move into our new house in November. And having a car in a single car garage when moving house is not great. So I decided to leave the car in the shop. Then, after moving, I started cleaning out the old horse stable that came with our new house. The only thing done by the previous owners was installing a new roof (asbestos free!!!). So I had to do all other things. And... it was a mess. Luckily, face-masks are easy found these days(...) And I made great use of them. New lighting was next; in the week between Christmas and New Years Eve. 100m of electric cable and all other sorts of electric paraphernalia + 15 LED TL lights.

First car I picked up was the Porsche. It was at a friend's place. I then started building shelfs for storage and as a partition wall for a man-cave-to-be. I'd found a chesterfield couch and two Ikea seats. The coffee table is a pallet with large castor wheels. The partition wall shelfs need a back wall. But that's for a later date.

And today, the TR came home! On a car trailer. Why? Well, it's the shop's car trailer. And like the TR: it's in the way. Business is crazy at the moment and we're expecting 3 cars next Monday so we need the space for those customers' cars. So now I have the TR + the trailer in my own garage. Oh well...

Next job: a workshop log burner. It's on its way from France; I've bought a DEOM #6. Belgian carpenter/farmer Timothy Wilmots shows the smaller #4 in his YT channel. (BTW, Wilmots makes watchmakers cabinets nowadays!!!) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzt...3TjQvV9FzY5IDg The problem I'm facing is Macron's COVID policy. It will take a while before the burner is here, I'm afraid...

Last edited by thieuster; 30th January 2021 at 20:04.

My dream set up, albeit Series 3 Defender, motorbikes, weights, chesterfield, bar and humidor

ENJOY!!

Craftsman
    Nice. Like the colour too, is that the original shade?

Master
    Now that’s a garage of dreams

Master
    Looks great Menno, keep the car and house posts coming!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Nice. Like the colour too, is that the original shade?
    Yes, powder blue. The rag top is chocolate brown. Not original, but I wanted something different.

Master
    Pretty much a blank canvas there, great

It’s a beauty, and I have garage envy :)

who needs a house ???, superb cars & building

Lovely car and workshop, lucky chap

Craftsman
    Great workshop!

Craftsman
    great setup, love the table in the lounge area

Grand Master
    Surprised to hear of problems with overdrive O rings, I would expect Overdrive Services in Sheffield to be able to supply these to the correct spec. , they’re the experts. Anyhow, it sounds like it’s fixed and that’s what matters. Overdrives are fiendish devices, I’ve rebuilt one many years ago and its not a job I’d undertake thesedays.

The workshop looks superb!

Great news, workshop envy.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Great news, workshop envy.
    Big time! Would love a workshop like that!

All looks good, Menno... I'd probably just move into the stables.

Outstanding! Congrats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Surprised to hear of problems with overdrive O rings, I would expect Overdrive Services in Sheffield to be able to supply these to the correct spec. , they’re the experts. Anyhow, it sounds like it’s fixed and that’s what matters. Overdrives are fiendish devices, I’ve rebuilt one many years ago and its not a job I’d undertake thesedays.

The workshop looks superb!
    I'd bought the first one from one of the 'usual suspects': the Dutch branch of Moss parts. When it failed within 2k km, I wasn't keen on re-trying. And the car was still drivable. The ring helps building pressure before engaging. Without the pressure, the OD doesn't work but the car keeps on running as if there was no OD! I wasn't stranded with the car. So I soldiered on for quite a while. Ultimately, I bought a set from Von Münching: despite his German name a Dutch guy who's really into rebuilding gearboxes and ODs, especially big Healeys' stuff. Over the years I've asked myself over and over again why I haven't chosen for a HVDA Toyota Supra gearbox conversion in the first place. I think that the shipment price (US to Europe) stopped me.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 31st January 2021 at 08:43.