closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corona etiquette

Master

Corona etiquette

So we’re walking down a path about 8ft wide with high banks. There’s a group of about 8 people split talking either side, we approach and no one moves expecting us to go straight between the lot of them. My wife says, to one group, ‘no I’ll let you go’ and they move to middle as if they’ve been asked something bizarre.

Not a big deal but if it’s ok for us to walk down the middle you can move as you’re the ones blocking the path!!!

Or just have a chat 10m on where it widens. Larry David definitely needs to write some episodes on C19

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    So we’re walking down a path about 8ft wide with high banks. There’s a group of about 8 people split talking either side, we approach and no one moves expecting us to go straight between the lot of them. My wife says, to one group, ‘no I’ll let you go’ and they move to middle as if they’ve been asked something bizarre.

Not a big deal but if it’s ok for us to walk down the middle you can move as you’re the ones blocking the path!!!

Or just have a chat 10m on where it widens. Larry David definitely needs to write some episodes on C19
    I had very similar today. Out with my lad in the narrow lanes (car and a bit) round us, two women walking side by side down the middle of the road towards us, we moved to the left, they continued down the middle. In the end I pointedly moved up the bank and walked past them shaking my head (being English I couldn't possibly say anything!).

Master
    Why was everyone walking in the first place ?

The only way to knock C19 out is for everyone to stay indoors unless it is really essential to go out. Casual walking is somewhat of an anti social practice. Staying indoors is not much fun but it works.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

The only way to knock C19 out is for everyone to stay indoors unless it is really essential to go out. Casual walking is somewhat of an anti social practice. Staying indoors is not much fun but it works.
    Mental health is just as important and the chance of transmission on a casual walk is negligible unless someone physically coughed on you.

Rubbish. Exercising is allowed and encouraged. The risk of spreading coronavirus whilst briefly passing someone on a path is practically zero...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55680305

Walking past someone in the street or having a jogger run by you, means you're close together for a few seconds at most. Fleeting encounters are highly unlikely to be long enough for enough virus to reach you. "We don't want people to be terrified of passing each other in the street," says Prof Cath Noakes, a government adviser speaking in a personal capacity. She says someone would have to cough right at you, and for you to inhale at just the wrong moment, for an infection to happen. But she also warns of friends spending a long time together outdoors and assuming they're completely safe. Going for a run with someone and following close behind them for 20 minutes or more, breathing in their slipstream, might be a problem, she says. "The sad fact is that your greatest risk is from the people you know."

Can’t understand why people always stop to talk *across* the pavement and not along it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Mental health is just as important and the chance of transmission on a casual walk is negligible unless someone physically coughed on you.
    There may only be a one in ten thousand chance of someone passing on the virus due to a casual walk but it's a bloody nightmare for the poor sod who gets it as well as their family.

If we all stayed indoors more, we would almost certainly have less infections and deaths.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can’t understand why people always stop to talk *across* the pavement and not along it.
    Exactly this.

There may only be a one in ten thousand chance of someone passing on the virus due to a casual walk but it's a bloody nightmare for the poor sod who gets it as well as their family.

If we all stayed indoors more, we would almost certainly have less infections and deaths.
    And even more suicides.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    And even more suicides.
    To be fair this is the biggest danger to young men! When my boys get to teenagers I’ll certainly be discussing this.

My wife goes on at them every day about diet, home learning screen time etc but in reality they’re more likely to do of suicide than any health related illness in the next 20 years.

Master

Shocking attitude - as stated exercise is encouraged and the chance of getting it is way more than one in ten thousand

- - - Updated - - -

And even more suicides.
    Yep they are on the increase and likely to increase

You cant really be shocked if the public act in a stupid way, its the same public who happily throw tons of trash all over the place.

Near 700 million of tax payers money goes on cleaning up after them in the UK each year.

Master
    Just cough loudly when approaching anyone who is blocking your path - they will soon make way for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Just cough loudly when approaching anyone who is blocking your path - they will soon make way for you!
    No need to get ignorant

Master
    Walking here in rural Wiltshire has kept me sane over the last 10 months or so. Most in the village are pretty considerate when we pass each other on the pavements and paths. I do feel sorry for those on small or overcrowded accommodation. Exercising sensibly and sticking to the guidance is fine.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Shocking attitude - as stated exercise is encouraged and the chance of getting it is way more than one in ten thousand
    His earlier statement reads like he's someone that has no idea about relative risks or risk management as a whole.

Blog Entries
    Same happens here in Glos. & happened today in my morning walk - a group of around 6-7 right across the footpath with dogs.
    The lady in front of me decided to give a wide birth & climb the muddy embankment to avoid them.
    They didn’t even move - I just walked right through the middle to make the point.

However, I’m more peeved with dog owners & extendable leads making trip wires across paths.

They really are the s

z

Master
    Yes it is a balancing act but we do have one of the highest death rates in the world and everyone has been moaning about the government being to slack and not imposing lockdown quick enough. Lockdown means precisely that, a lockdown, not an instruction to stay indoors unless you fancy a casual walk or whatever. You can't have it both ways, if you adopt a liberal attitude, more people are going to die an horrific death.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was crossing the bridge over the river the other day. It’s about 30 foot long and only 3 foot or so wide. I was half way across when a bloke started across from the other side. I had to ask him to wait. From the look on his face, you’d think I’d asked if I could take a dump on his first born child’s feet.

Master
    No need to get ignorant
    I think it is the people who block paths & show no consideration for others who are the ignorant ones.

Yes it is a balancing act but we do have one of the highest death rates in the world...

Because we have a nation of overweight and unfit people. Every healthy person I know who’s caught Covid, myself included, has been fine with it.

So whilst, gyms are closed, golf is forbidden, swimming pools shut and every physical activity outlawed you can’t blame people for getting out for a walk. Staying indoors for extended periods of time isn’t good for our mental or physical health and it can turn seeming normal people in to trolls.

Master

Not true Mick
    Transmission indoors is far more likely
    Being outside has far more advantages provided people are half sensible.
    I did have to laugh at the huge snowball fight in Leeds last week.
    I thought it was a bit poor giving the organisers a £10K fine as it just looked like kids having fun and I don't think there was much chance of transmission
    Last edited by Hood; 30th January 2021 at 20:02.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    I think it is the people who block paths & show no consideration for others who are the ignorant ones.
    No, they are also ignorant. I was told to "grow up" and "get a life" earlier in the week for asking two women to give a bit of way when my wife and I went to single file and they kept taking up the entire pavement. Me coughing would have put me down to their level which is scum. How do I know I don't have Covid from the DPD man and I'm out for my evening walks asymptomatic? Not worth it.

No, they are also ignorant. I was told to "grow up" and "get a life" earlier in the week for asking two women to give a bit of way when my wife and I went to single file and they kept taking up the entire pavement. Me coughing would have put me down to their level which is scum. How do I know I don't have Covid from the DPD man and I'm out for my evening walks asymptomatic? Not worth it.
    It is bonkers that so many still don't get it or are too selfish/ self absorbed/ immature to be bovvered.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Mick is never wrong. Everybody should remain indoors and never leave the house. Nobody need fresh air or exercise; it’s just a nicety that used to be afforded to the populous pre-Covid. Mental health is definitely not an issue and locking yourself away from the world forever clearly won’t affect anybody;nor will it be likely to cause any increase in breakdowns,divorces or suicides.

I really think we all need to try much,much harder.

<sarcasm off>

Master

Exercise is allowed.

Master
    Blog Entries

they always have a go at you every time,but you are 100% correct with this statement.

most of these morons never used to leave the house anyway or I would have seen them pre covid,as for kids come on be truthful how many kids went out walking instead of locked in the bedroom on social media or playing games?.

I had the same yesterday I am shuffling along like I am 120 years old, wearing slippers with broken legs and holding my chest struggling to breath.

No one gave way to me,moved over or showed any consideration,which is why I have been mostly walking up and down my very small garden.

I dont care what the odds are I want to reduce them to zero, on a wide path there is no excuse to move over and if you are to stupid its the law.

I am convinced it was a girl who walked into me after I asked her to move over who gave it to me OUTSIDE then her boyfriend threatened me.

Everyone is shocked I got it as I avoided all inside spaces that I could, turned my face if someone came near me,walked out of peoples way, washed my hands raw,but mostly stayed in.

As for the mental health people are now using it as a blanket excuse,its a self fulfilling prophecy.

Personally I am petrified of getting it again so much so It makes me feel like a coward and I am angry so very angry.

Been out for quite a few park/forest walks these past couple weeks with my four year old, he's always lagging poking at stuff with a stick and suchlike so I'm always aware of faster folks behind and pull over to let them pass - less than half say thank you or even acknowledge in any way. Feckin' muppets, typically mid-age to older women in pairs yapping, heads up their arses.

On the flip side the other day was approaching a narrow park gate with about ten late teens approaching (girls and boys) in what looked like sports team outfits, they started stopping but I nodded for them to go - each and every one gave a smile and said thanks. I take back moaning about teens

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Been out for quite a few park/forest walks these past couple weeks with my four year old, he's always lagging poking at stuff with a stick and suchlike so I'm always aware of faster folks behind and pull over to let them pass - less than half say thank you or even acknowledge in any way. Feckin' muppets, typically mid-age to older women in pairs yapping, heads up their arses.

On the flip side the other day was approaching a narrow park gate with about ten late teens approaching (girls and boys) in what looked like sports team outfits, they started stopping but I nodded for them to go - each and every one gave a smile and said thanks. I take back moaning about teens

funny how it makes you feel better,I had one youngster run out across my path to get in a car He whispered sorry and got out the way.

But he was the exception.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    they always have a go at you every time,but you are 100% correct with this statement.

most of these morons never used to leave the house anyway or I would have seen them pre covid,as for kids come on be truthful how many kids went out walking instead of locked in the bedroom on social media or playing games?.

I had the same yesterday I am shuffling along like I am 120 years old, wearing slippers with broken legs and holding my chest struggling to breath.

No one gave way to me,moved over or showed any consideration,which is why I have been mostly walking up and down my very small garden.

I dont care what the odds are I want to reduce them to zero, on a wide path there is no excuse to move over and if you are to stupid its the law.

I am convinced it was a girl who walked into me after I asked her to move over who gave it to me OUTSIDE then her boyfriend threatened me.

Everyone is shocked I got it as I avoided all inside spaces that I could, turned my face if someone came near me,walked out of peoples way, washed my hands raw,but mostly stayed in.

As for the mental health people are now using it as a blanket excuse,its a self fulfilling prophecy.

Personally I am petrified of getting it again so much so It makes me feel like a coward and I am angry so very angry.
    I believe medical concerns us is you should have 6 months protection.

Master
    I'm not advocating coughing on someone - that would be ignorant & reckless in the extreme.
    Have a nice evening.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

The fact that you got it even though you mostly stayed in etc etc is in direct contravention of Mick claiming everybody should stay inside all the time in order to avoid Covid.

The mental health statement is frankly a load of horsepoo.

People should be showing some common sense and courtesy to others when walking so those that aren’t are morons. I have to say that generally speaking I experience the good side and rarely the inconsiderate.

I Hope you recover and feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Exercise is allowed.
    Indeed it is but strange that soon as lockdown is imposed everyone suddenly has a pressing need to go out jogging.

While the majority of people doing so are respectful to others there are plenty of the jogging in twos, jog into a main road (God forbid I should break my stride) or happily jog close to other pedestrians who may not want a sweating individual coughing on them as they pass by.

The first lockdown was bad enough, I can remember the BBQ taking place and people blatantly breaking the rules but this time it’s almost like a badge of honour to do so.

Couple of weeks ago I was doing some shopping when I heard the security guard say to a customer “Excuse me you have to wear a mask” woman replied in a loud arrogant tone “I’ve got an exemption” then strutted about the shop laughing, bought her stuff then walked out laughing at the security guard and shouted “Byeee”

Compliance with masks in shops seems to be about 60% the level of arrogance and contempt for others by the public sickens me.

Master
    I found that during the first lockdown from March '20, that pretty much everyone got out of each others way.
    During this lockdown it really doesn't appear the same - walking the same trails in the woodland (that I am lucky to live on the edge of) there are plenty of people that don't appear to care anymore.
    In fact in general, I would say that it is usually the case that my family end up moving off the path while others plough on towards us without concern.

I think Mick answers just to pi$$ people on here off.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I think Mick answers just to pi$$ people on here off.
    There are others.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I have to admit that I broke all my own rules last week when we were out walking.

It was on a wide path, but all four of us abreast. Normally I’m hyper aware of everyone around us and constantly urge the kids to move left or right out of the way, or we all go single file, or wait.

On this occasion, I was so engrossed talking to my nine year old, and my wife was talking to the boy, we hadn’t noticed the couple approaching until the lady said loudly, in an exasperated tone, “You can’t walk four abreast”, as she and her husband went into the verge to pass.

I felt terrible and tried to apologise but she was having none of it and stormed on.

We’ve spent 9 months avoiding people in all social situations and this one time undid all that.

Under Covid, the simplest of mistakes has become an act of gross anti-social ignorance.

I just hope we can eventually return to a more balanced perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    typically mid-age to older women in pairs yapping, heads up their arses.
    Always this. Always.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Indeed it is but strange that soon as lockdown is imposed everyone suddenly has a pressing need to go out jogging.
    Do you think that maybe the people that went to gyms for their exercise maybe now do exercise outside.

Master
    I’ve told my Mother this because she was getting irked and annoyed by other people’s lack of consideration.

Ignore them , don’t tell them off , don’t explain . It won’t help , they won’t change and all you are doing is increasing your time in their presence .

Just do everything you can to follow the rukes and isolate as much as you can. Was your hands regularly .

People generally are defensive and will react if criticised . Don’t waste the energy , best thing is not to linger .

It will be fine eventually as the majority are being responsible ; forget the rest , there will always be idiots .

I was just saying the other night while out walking that there should be a 'pass on the left' protocol like driving on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Do you think that maybe the people that went to gyms for their exercise maybe now do exercise outside.
    Not in such huge numbers, no.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I was just saying the other night while out walking that there should be a 'pass on the left' protocol like driving on the left.
    It would be completely ignored. I went to McArthur Glen down here in South Wales to pick up some wet weather gear for work.
    They have a clear instructions(directional arrows on the floor every few yards) and barriers all along the walkway separating the left and right lanes and people were still walking wherever they wanted.

Even though the situation is perhaps more serious (with the more transmissible variant) people are taking distancing less seriously now.
    Previously people would often cross the street to avoid passing someone, not now. Supermarkets had one-way directions and managed checkout systems, not now.
    On the plus side I’ve noticed that Tesco have cracked down on staff not wearing masks. Mrs K who works there thinks management have had a word with the miscreants.

Master
    On pavements the person(s) walking along facing oncoming traffic should take avoiding action.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It would be completely ignored. I went to McArthur Glen down here in South Wales to pick up some wet weather gear for work.
    They have a clear instructions(directional arrows on the floor every few yards) and barriers all along the walkway separating the left and right lanes and people were still walking wherever they wanted.
    This is the same for virtually every shop open in London
    My local supermarket has spent time rearranging the layout to give everyone more room but people don’t follow the routes set out, they barge past each other, no social distancing. Selfish t**ts.

I also think that there are some people that over exaggerate the need to distance...or at least take unreasonable actions.
    For instance,I was walking with my son the other day;the pavement was quite a wide one and there were plenty of wide drives to stop in and let people pass should it be required.
    An lady in about her early 60s came round a corner on the same pavement and walked towards us. We both had plenty of time for one set of us to wait in the entrance to a drive but the absolute second she saw us she leapt sideways into the road....without paying one seconds attention to the actual traffic. I think the bloke in the car that damn near hit her had to go and change his pants whilst she just acted as though she had right of way.
    This is not the first instance of this type of thing that I have seen. Joggers with their music on is another bugbear...not the actual jogging but it’s amazing the amount of them that just leap into the road to go round people without paying any attention and cause people to swerve or brake sharply.

Master
    My local forest park has a "one way" system, clockwise, in place for the circuit around the lake (the most popular route for non locals) and a "keep to the left" for the other paths. Mostly works Well, apart from the few ignorant twats who ignore the signage. On a par with people who dont pick up their dogs poop.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I go for a walk with my youngest son most evenings and what’s pretty worrying is that the “ignorant” who don’t give an inch far outweigh the people who give space and single file past as we are single filing past them.

I guess to they must view us as the “paranoid”?

Paranoid and anti freedumb/liberty too at a guess.