closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are Rolex St James's Square London still open?

Journeyman

Are Rolex St James's Square London still open?

Just wondering if anyone has been able to get their Rolex watch serviced through the lock downs in London and what the timeframes are?

I have recently moved back to London from Melbourne and had to wait 10 weeks just to get the service quote in Australia so had to postpone the repair.

They also insisted that the watch hands needed replacing, will I encounter this from the London service centre? The watch in question is a 97' 16700.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by randomer View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has been able to get their Rolex watch serviced through the lock downs in London and what the timeframes are?

I have recently moved back to London from Melbourne and had to wait 10 weeks just to get the service quote in Australia so had to postpone the repair.

They also insisted that the watch hands needed replacing, will I encounter this from the London service centre? The watch in question is a 97' 16700.
    I wouldn't be letting them change the hands as yours will be tritium.

Craftsman
    I have had watches serviced through St James through before lockdown. It was my Sea Dweller 16600.

I had a crazy quote for a 1680 as I think there not so keep on vintage so i researched and found recommendations for this guy, Brendan.

I was really happy with the service and price. I went with him after someone on the Rolex forum recommended him.

He has my PRS 29a for a service right now too. I have no connection just a good experience.

I guess it depends how quick you need the turnaround.

https://www.webwatchmaker.co.uk

Journeyman
    If you need replacement parts you might be better using a Rolex approved service centre who will have access to the bits you need. As stated above, Rolex themselves seem to be notorious for being a bit keen to replace rather than leave bits alone. I’ve got my Sub with Steven Hale at the moment. Went to him after reading recommendations on here IIRC.

Journeyman
    I’ve just had a look at webwatchmaker’s website, his prices look very decent compared to many of the places I have used/researched.

Craftsman
    Another question on dealers, I assume most are now closed for sales...or discussion on ordering.. after a datejust, but happy to wait.. curiosity really

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Another question on dealers, I assume most are now closed for sales...or discussion on ordering.. after a datejust, but happy to wait.. curiosity really
    Stuck a deposit on one the weekend before lockdown with the intention of collecting following weekend. They were going to deliver but rightly changed their minds so it’s sat in the safe waiting for the virus to bugger off. They go in 3 days a week apparently to answer questions, guess it’s just a skeleton crew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Some do "click and collect" service and do "chat" and phone conversations. After all, it is an essential service for some.. https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...ck-and-collect

Craftsman
    https://genesiswatchmaking.co.uk gets my recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Thanks guys, interesting.. I'll give my local AD a shout tomorrow.. can't do any harm

I took my Daytona to a local AD on December 7th. They sent it to the Rolex Service Centre and despite the Christmas holidays it came back on the 14th January. The AD shipped it back to me via the Royal Mail.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I took my Daytona to a local AD on December 7th. They sent it to the Rolex Service Centre and despite the Christmas holidays it came back on the 14th January. The AD shipped it back to me via the Royal Mail.
    That’s a great turn around. The total time my watch would of been out of my hands in Melbourne would of be 5 - 6 months if I had gone ahead.
    I have emailed my local AD (Kingston) and will ring Rolex tomorrow and see what the go is.

That’s a great turn around. The total time my watch would of been out of my hands in Melbourne would of be 5 - 6 months if I had gone ahead.
    I have emailed my local AD (Kingston) and will ring Rolex tomorrow and see what the go is.
    I suspect the lockdown has something to do with it. They might not have the same volume of work coming in.

Master
    How are RSC on their insistence on replacing parts? For example, the cyclops on mine is a little chipped, doesn’t bother me but is that the kind of thing they’d insist on?
    I don’t want or need the case re-done etc.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    How are RSC on their insistence on replacing parts? For example, the cyclops on mine is a little chipped, doesn’t bother me but is that the kind of thing they’d insist on?
    Cheers
    My AD asked me if there was anything I didn't want doing or any special instructions. They said the RSC were very good at meeting people's requirements.

Whatever they do or don't do, it will include the cost of a full service, whether you want certain parts untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Cheers

Journeyman
    Just to update; RSC open yesterday but only able to accept new cases via post, no walk ins.
    Local AD not able to facilitate servicing at the moment.

Master
    I phoned up today about a dial replacement on a new watch, initially the said that was fine, but when i told them it was a new release watch they said it had to be 12 months in production before they would exchange dials, bit of a shame, but as below they are still taking work on.

- - - Updated - - -

I phoned up today about a dial replacement on a new watch, initially the said that was fine, but when i told them it was a new release watch they said it had to be 12 months in production before they would exchange dials, bit of a shame, but as below they are still taking work on.

Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    The fact they are posted by Royal Mail is the one reason I wouldn't do it.

AFAIK RM only insure up to £2,500.

I couldn't take that risk. Perhaps is just me though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    The fact they are posted by Royal Mail is the one reason I wouldn't do it.

AFAIK RM only insure up to £2,500.

I couldn't take that risk. Perhaps is just me though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    They will have independent business insurance cover for all postal transactions.

They will use RMSD plus insurance on top.