closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this some kind of joke!!!

Is this some kind of joke!!!

So I was in the shops earlier in the week, stocking up on snacks for my daughter staying this weekend, as I walked past something I thought I haven’t had one of those for years and picked up a packet of 4...

Just opened the packet to find this, what the hell is this...

It’s about half the length of what I remember lol...

Robbing gits...

Here endeth the rant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    A TWIX one bite.

Most of us probably remember Farleys’ Rusks being approximately the size of a steering wheel. Of course that would be relative to our ickle toddler hands at the time. I’m sure there would be a market for an adult sized version, even for those chaps who otherwise don’t choose to indulge in, ahem, “baby play”.

That aside it does appear that the sugar and salt nazis have reduced the size of popular chocolate bars. All you have to do is regard them as “bite size” and buy several. Job done.

The multi packs are smaller that the single packs.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Yes sweets in general are tiny now and named things that they never used to be in some instances. Best value seems to be the packs of 4 for a quid.

Sad when you need a fiver for a coffee and a marathon bar tbh...

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Most of us probably remember Farleys’ Rusks being approximately the size of a steering wheel. Of course that would be relative to our ickle toddler hands at the time. I’m sure there would be a market for an adult sized version, even for those chaps who otherwise don’t choose to indulge in, ahem, “baby play”.

That aside it does appear that the sugar and salt nazis have reduced the size of popular chocolate bars. All you have to do is regard them as “bite size” and buy several. Job done.

Only 20-25 years ago, I used to have rusks and or a jar of baby food, usually creamed porridge, in my training bag, just in case I needed a quick snack. I couldn’t/can’t stand rice cakes.

Ah, it appears to be suffering from Wagon Wheel syndrome !

Blog Entries
    Same as Mars bars, they used to be very substantial bars, now you could balance half a dozen on your ear! Pah!

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Need 2 hands to hold a wagon wheel, now ya talking, hopefully they haven’t been shrunken down...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seen the size of Double Deckers recently, should be renamed single decker. They never seen to reduce the price though.

Don't even get a walnut on top of your walnut whip any more...where will it end,

https://www.theguardian.com/business...twitter-nestle

Master
    My wife and I both re-started our diets at the start of Jan and downloaded some calorie counting apps. For "treats" she ordered some "Twix 99-calorie" bars with our weekly Asda shop. These things are full price, bear in mind... and they are about double the length of what you get in the Celebrations.
    To be fair it looks like the normal ones aren't much bigger now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Seen the size of Double Deckers recently, should be renamed single decker. They never seen to reduce the price though.
    They don't even have raisins in them these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    They don't even have raisins in them these days.
    I’ve learnt something new today and am now disappointed I missed out on that!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Don't even get a walnut on top of your walnut whip any more...where will it end,

https://www.theguardian.com/business...twitter-nestle
    You can still get Walnut Whips - the barricades are holding.

Sugar tax. It's either reduce the size, increase the price, or a bit of both. Very annoying though. The multi pack of Snickers I bought the other week looked like the old Fun Size bars they used to have.

One day at school I spent all my dinner money on Wagon Wheels. I ate about seven of them and spent the rest of the afternoon throwing my ring up.

I've not been near once since

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    One day at school I spent all my dinner money on Wagon Wheels. I ate about seven of them and spent the rest of the afternoon throwing my ring up.

I've not been near once since
    Same for me but Pernod.

Same for me but Pernod.
    Me too but mine was Diamond White, urghhhhh...

Bottles of Pulse for me.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Should change the name to Matchbox car wheels!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I recently bought a KitKat from the local shops but was unhappy with the chocolate-to-wafer ratio.
    I went back to complain but the shop assistant wasn`t interested - she just gave me two fingers...

Master
    I used to run the revenue management team for Mars. The size wasn’t a price increase through size reduction, but a family initiative for health. (The move from 5 pack to 4 pack was tho!)

All products were to be less than 250kcal, hence twix, Mars & snickers reduced in size. Oddly galaxy and M&Ms didn’t as you ‘could leave a piece or a few of them in the pack’...like everyone does!

The other one everyone comments on is the size of a cream egg. That production line is so old and antiquated, they haven’t been able to play with the size at all, just not feasible.

Even with a sharing bar of chocolate, the shape of each piece, the depth of break line etc is all worked to give the maximum footprint & size impression regardless of weight.

Same goes for pouches of confectionery also, size of the base gusset at the bottom can manipulate the pack size and perception of value.

This is a thing.

Shrinkflation.

In economics, shrinkflation is the process of items shrinking in size or quantity, or even sometimes reformulating or reducing quality while their prices remain the same or increase. The word is a portmanteau of the words shrink and inflation.

The ONS now tracks it:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/infla...gettingsmaller

As long as they don’t go and reduce the sugar, or otherwise play around with the taste. They ruined Coco-Pops for me, and I had to throw the last box out - I had to go online to see that they’d put bloody sweetener in it. Just no point eating them as a treat any more :(

At least I’m eating a lot less sweets these days. There would always be lack of between 7 and 10, bounty bars, Snickers, Mars, Topics, and Picnics in the shopping basket - far too easy to go through one of each on a night in. I guess it’s a little healthier if they are a lot smaller, but only if you don’t eat another one, or five!

I think the pound shops have a lot to do with shrinking sizes of snacks. They’re still selling at a fixed price per pack yet the value of a pound gets less each year so suppliers are having to still deliver a product that these stores can sell at a profit.

Confectionary is still as cheap as ever though, there are always offers on larger sizes and multipacks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Curly Wurly's used to be loads bigger than they are now. And cheaper.

Those size are usually a quid for a pack of four so 25p for a small one isn’t bad value.

Individual ones are bigger but obviously cost more.

Master
    The thing to remember is that your hands are MUCH bigger than they were then .............................................. and so is everything else! Probably because of them!

Craftsman
    Tesco value custard creams and a pint of milk for a £1 - can’t go wrong :)

Blog Entries
    Same for me but Pernod.
    Cinzano

( a long time ago )
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    The multi packs are smaller but to be fair they work out at 25p each.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangmere View Post
    The multi packs are smaller but to be fair they work out at 25p each.
    They didn’t use to be, but independent shop keepers were going to Tesco, buying a 5 pack of Mars, splitting them down & sell them for 60p each.

Back then they didn’t even have ‘multipack not for resale’ on the packaging.

Multiples all want to promote at £1, so have to make the packs profitable for everyone.

It’s the same with the Xmas tubs of Quality Street or Roses, christ as a kid it seemed like you could lose an arm in there digging around for a green triangle, nowadays you’ll be lucky if your little finger does not touch the bottom on your first dip in...

I hate progress sometimes lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    It’s the same with the Xmas tubs of Quality Street or Roses, christ as a kid it seemed like you could lose an arm in there digging around for a green triangle, nowadays you’ll be lucky if your little finger does not touch the bottom on your first dip in...

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    They didn’t use to be, but independent shop keepers were going to Tesco, buying a 5 pack of Mars, splitting them down & sell them for 60p each.

Back then they didn’t even have ‘multipack not for resale’ on the packaging.

Multiples all want to promote at £1, so have to make the packs profitable for everyone.

As an ex independent shopkeeper, I’ve never split down a multipack but I have bought some items in the supermarkets for resale in my shop.

The only reason I ever did that though, was because it was cheaper to buy retail at a supermarket than wholesale at a cash and carry. It’s an illustration of the unfair playing field in which small shops operate.

I sold soon after Tesco started to open up Tesco Express shops as the writing was on the wall.

That was fifteen years ago and it’s only got harder for independents since, both from competition, reduced margins and increased legislation.

Not that I think this shrinkflation is in any way a solution but isn’t it that nearly 1 in 3 U.K. adults are obese?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Not that I think this shrinkflation is in any way a solution but isn’t it that nearly 1 in 3 U.K. adults are obese?
    Probably more to do with having McDonalds, KFC, Domino’s & Gregg’s on every corner than the size of a Twix bar...

Probably more to do with having McDonalds, KFC, Domino’s & Gregg’s on every corner than the size of a Twix bar...
    Nothing to do with availability of food, more to do with bad discipline, inadequate nutritional education, and a combination of fast hands and fat fingers ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think the pound shops have a lot to do with shrinking sizes of snacks. They’re still selling at a fixed price per pack yet the value of a pound gets less each year so suppliers are having to still deliver a product that these stores can sell at a profit.

Confectionary is still as cheap as ever though, there are always offers on larger sizes and multipacks.
    I caught the back end of a documentary/fly on the wall thing about Poundland not long ago. They are such a big retailer now that most manufacturers cater to them with "reduced" size products. I.e. a multipack of walkers crisps which usually have 6 bags in only have 4 at poundland. Ditto with Twix and Mars etc with smaller bars, and Warburton produce a 2/3 size loaf for them.
    When compared like for like I believe Poundland are actually at the higher end of the price spectrum.
    It just seems good value cos its a quid.

Same for me but Pernod.

Pernod ?? Your tuck shop was way better than ours then...

Not sure I’d agree in respect of the Xmas tubs. Yes they’re smaller at circa 650g a tub but they were only £3.50 a tub when I bought them this year.

Taking into account inflation, I’d daresay the older, large tins would work out either the same price or more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Not sure I’d agree in respect of the Xmas tubs. Yes they’re smaller at circa 650g a tub but they were only £3.50 a tub when I bought them this year.

Taking into account inflation, I’d daresay the older, large tins would work out either the same price or more expensive.
    Ah but what do they generally sell for before Xmas, more than £3.50 I bet...

Anyway, as disgusted we were at the size of the twix’s then I’m afraid to say, they’ve gone now lol...

You don’t really see the round tubs for sale except around Xmas to be honest.

Master
    Heinz Strawberry or Golden Syrup steam puddings from a tin with lashings of custard...the world is a cruel cruel place.

Is this some kind of joke!!!

Standard price said to be £5 but no problem getting them for less - all big retailers sell them for £4, 2 for £7 or that £3.50 in weeks before Xmas.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Blimey that's bleak, when you see it like that even the packaging/tin design and decoration, the look and feel of the whole thing has gone decidedly down market and cheap, they should rename them to Benefits Street not Quality Street. Sigh.
    Last edited by Passenger; 1st February 2021 at 09:52.