closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside toilet ?

Outside toilet ?

Morning Gents

So , my neighbour has upgraded his cabin with a new outside toilet facility on the veranda space:

Of course not plumbed in and I'll guess it will be a chemical lav of some kind.

Anyone able to provide a link to guidance on this type of use ? If it helps , we are under Southend on Sea council.

NB. The Cabin is also too high and breaks outerside building structure regs , however I'm not concerned about that.

Best Neil

I do like a outside toilet, what’s the problem? Live and let live

My best mate when we were teenagers was banned from the family bathroom and had to use the outside loo for months (for both standy-up and sitty-down jobs). We basically lived in each others' houses at the time and I was fine using the bathroom, just not him. This was quite a big house with rambling outbuildings and the loo attached to them. Before 'the incident' it wasn't really used so was basically derelict.

We're still in touch today nearly 40 years later and get together now and again when he's back in town (before the Covid times obviously) and to this day I don't know the reason he was banished. Last time it came up a few years ago, he told me he doesn't remember the reason but I know he does.

^^^^
    I would make it my life’s work to unearth the story behind the “incident”.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    I do like a outside toilet, what’s the problem? Live and let live
    Hi

TBH , as long as it's acceptable to the council/landlord then I haven't got a problem.

Infact it may well be considered an upgrade as previously I suspect the contents of the bucket were being emptied on to the garden ( and last summer you could smell it ! ).

Best Neil

My great grandparents at one time had a double seater outside drop loo so you could even take a friend...wooden seats, newspaper threaded in squares on a piece of string, spiders...ah those were indeed the days, but that was forty five years ago and they lived way out in the sticks...from the picture that looks rather tight and cramped with the neighbours, sort've looks like the blokes trying to recreate a beer garden in his back yard, stupid/anti environment gas patio heater. If it's a chemical potty, where's he going to be emptying it...

I might be wrong and he's a magnificent chap who shows enormous consideration to his neighbours although the breaking of the building regs suggests otherwise...good luck OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

I might be wrong and he's a magnificent chap who shows enormous consideration to his neighbours although the breaking of the building regs suggests otherwise...good luck OP.
    Hi

Nail on head....well guessed !

Best Neil

Looks like he has an outside ‘bar’ (classy) - so it is probably just a urinal behind the new wood screen.

It ‘might’ be plumbed into the sewage drains, or - more likely that it is just into any drain/soak away.

That brick outhouse looks more like an outside toilet to me - we had one in the back yard when I was a child!

What's with the line of bottles on it, some form of solar heating or bringing more light in?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    My great grandparents at one time had a double seater outside drop loo so you could even take a friend...wooden seats, newspaper threaded in squares on a piece of string, spiders...
    Luxury.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Morning Gents

An expert will be along shortly but if it's not plumbed in I don't think building regs actually apply and it would the same as craping in a bucket for legal purposes.

There might be other considerations under environmental laws.

Time to call the estate agent.

Would dread summers living next to anyone who would recreate a Wetherspoons beer garden in their own home.

Master
    My brother is a retired architect and unless my memory is playing tricks, I am sure that he once told me that wooden erections of less that 1.8 meters are considered temporary and do not need any permission.

Personally I agree with the live and let live comments.

Master
    Blimey that's a serious mish-mash of buildings/extensions, I'm not sure where I should be looking!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That brick outhouse looks more like an outside toilet to me - we had one in the back yard when I was a child!

What's with the line of bottles on it, some form of solar heating or bringing more light in?

R
    Hi R

That's an old air raid shelter. We used to have a matching one in our garden and had it knocked down.

The bottles are just empties....JD I believe.

Best Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    My brother is a retired architect and unless my memory is playing tricks, I am sure that he once told me that wooden erections of less that 1.8 meters are considered temporary and do not need any permission.

Personally I agree with the live and let live comments.
    Hi Mick

Thanks for the reply....

The Cabin is definitely not less than 1.8m , however I just would like to understand the toilet situ.

Best Neil

I would hate to live somewhere overlooked like that, I use my outside loo much more than the inside one thats the wifes domain.

Morning Gents

So , my neighbour has upgraded his cabin with a new outside toilet facility on the veranda space:

Anyone able to provide a link to guidance on this type of use ? If it helps , we are under Southend on Sea council.

NB. The Cabin is also too high and breaks outerside building structure regs , however I'm not concerned about that.

Best Neil
    I can't help with the toilet question but, apart from the height of the cabin I wonder if it is the required distance from neighbouring properties?
    I would seek advice from a professional source (planning authority, perhaps)...and if I was one of its neighbours I would be concerned about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I can't help with the toilet question but, apart from the height of the cabin I wonder if it is the required distance from neighbouring properties?
    I would seek advice from a professional source (planning authority, perhaps)...and if I was one of its neighbours I would be concerned about it.
    Hi

Thanks for the reply....

My understanding is to be this close to the boundaries ( on both sides ) with the Cabin , it needs to be 1.8m or less high....which it isn't. So , officially the council could ask for it to be taken down , but as they are neighbours and attached to my house , probably not a great idea.

Back to the toilet question....anyone ?

Best Neil

best to just leave it. in my experience neighbours can make your life hell, throwing things into your garden and scratching your car etc.

my brothers neighbours even poisoned his puppy to death for barking too much, if they had been caught there would have been murder charges going on.

Outside toilet ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I would hate to live somewhere overlooked like that, I use my outside loo much more than the inside one thats the wifes domain.
    Those two houses opposite do have *impressive* extensions.

Something about unplumbed toilets here https://www.waterlesstoilets.co.uk/b...g-regulations/

This is the kind of thing that has the capacity to make life difficult if you don't make a stand.

Grand Master
    I assume your never invited round for drinks in your neighbours cabin?,if you were you'd realise how much better to be able to have a toilet that conveniently close by,and who would want a house and its toilet used by loads of people too!......I wouldn't.

What exactly is it that niggles you about it,remember too when a lot of houses had toilets outside,makes you wonder if someone complained when a neighbour suddenly had one "inside" their house way back in the good ol days hey,and close to the kitchen!!.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    My best mate when we were teenagers was banned from the family bathroom and had to use the outside loo for months (for both standy-up and sitty-down jobs). We basically lived in each others' houses at the time and I was fine using the bathroom, just not him. This was quite a big house with rambling outbuildings and the loo attached to them. Before 'the incident' it wasn't really used so was basically derelict.

We're still in touch today nearly 40 years later and get together now and again when he's back in town (before the Covid times obviously) and to this day I don't know the reason he was banished. Last time it came up a few years ago, he told me he doesn't remember the reason but I know he does.
    His name wasn't John McVicar was it ?

Craftsman
    If it don't smell and your not bothered then not a problem. If it just goes to a soakaway and was close to my boundary I'd at least wanna know it was done sorta right i recon.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I assume your never invited round for drinks in your neighbours cabin?,if you were you'd realise how much better to be able to have a toilet that conveniently close by,and who would want a house and its toilet used by loads of people too!......I wouldn't.

What exactly is it that niggles you about it,remember too when a lot of houses had toilets outside,makes you wonder if someone complained when a neighbour suddenly had one "inside" their house way back in the good ol days hey,and close to the kitchen!!.
    When outside toilets were common weren’t they normally plumbed in? They were at least professionally built.

Would niggle me here if it was just hole dug in ground and soaked into my garden.

Hi

Thanks for the reply....I accept it may not be convenient to have to pop 50ft up the garden ( which you would have to do at a pub ) , however as you can see we and the other neighbours live fairly closely together and whilst you can do it ( ? ) again it's a question of should you ?

For me it boils down to consideration of the people that live around you ( oh and how the contents are disposed of too ).

Best Neil

Looking on the positive side, your roses will be magnificent next year.

Hi

Thanks for the reply....

My understanding is to be this close to the boundaries ( on both sides ) with the Cabin , it needs to be 1.8m or less high....which it isn't. So , officially the council could ask for it to be taken down , but as they are neighbours and attached to my house , probably not a great idea.

Back to the toilet question....anyone ?

Best Neil
    If there's a toilet 'attached' to the cabin there's a possibility that it has been plumbed in (so there's a main water supply and mains drainage) and there might also be power - when the neighbour (current or future) starts illegally using the cabin for residential lettings I'm guessing you wouldn't be so accommodating.

Still, it's your neighbour so you will have to either live with it or do something about it.

Seems quite pikey to me, it's one thing if' you've plenty of space and aren't overlooked by the neighbours to go take a leak up a tree, au naturel in fact but this business of running what amounts to a pub beer garden, everyone peeing in a lean to, presumably into some sort've of contrivance, it's not really on in an average back garden in what looks to be a fairly densely housed area. What next emptying your chamber pot into the street below the bedroom window because you can't be arsed to walk the 50 ft to the loo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    If there's a toilet 'attached' to the cabin there's a possibility that it has been plumbed in (so there's a main water supply and mains drainage) and there might also be power - when the neighbour (current or future) starts illegally using the cabin for residential lettings I'm guessing you wouldn't be so accommodating.

Still, it's your neighbour so you will have to either live with it or do something about it.
    Hi

Usual ( in my experience ) setup , Cabin has power , definitely no water and/or drainage.

Agreed re future use as residential letting would of course be a step too far !

Best Neil

Wow, what an eyesore, sorry you have to put up with that. He's obviously no gardener.

I hesitate to ask but...
    do you know for sure there's a toilet in there?
    how?

It would be nicer if he stained or painted the wood to a darker shade.

Looks an expensive build, not something I would have been happy to to pay for/build without knowing it was 100% permitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That screen with the scree layer at the base is for sure a piss panel! Why else would that be there.

Also, that's a heck of a lot of Jack Daniels bottles lining the roof:

Craftsman
    We are considering a garden building not a bar but summer room type thing,
    We have spoken to the council about numerous things as I don't want to commit potentially a fair bit of cash if its going to contravene the rules, also our neighbours are t###s and will definitely complain about everything.
    Our response from the council was yes it can be built close to the boundary as long as its under 2.4m high.
    Yes to power supply
    Yes to a toilet either plumbed or chemical
    No to sleeping facilities and definitely no permanent habitation.
    Different councils Different rules so best to check.
    As has been asked are you sure there's a toilet in there?
    How often does it get used ,wild parties every week? Or sensible use..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    No to sleeping facilities and definitely no permanent habitation.
    Different councils Different rules so best to check.
    As has been asked are you sure there's a toilet in there?
    How often does it get used ,wild parties every week? Or sensible use..

Hi

Well the owner spends a huge amount of time in the cabin & sleeps in it too , so toilet would be in use every day.

Owner said they were going to install one....I'd suggest this is it.

Best Neil

Master

Why would you invite people round that were incapable of using an internal toilet in a hygienic manner?

If they’re too lazy to walk 50ft, then jeez. Why not just have a catheter at hand! It’s like those people on channel five who eat 55 packets of Asda digestives daily and sleep in their lounge on a mattress.

Craftsman
    Hi

Well the owner spends a huge amount of time in the cabin & sleeps in it too , so toilet would be in use every day.

Owner said they were going to install one....I'd suggest this is it.

Best Neil
    Hi
    Thanks for the clarification, judging by information available on the Internet and my discussions with our local council it would seem there is no issue with having a toilet installed.
    If they are sleeping in it then obviously that contravenes the rules but is it really an issue? Are there noise issues ? Anti social behaviour issues involved with this?
    I agree a bar in a residential garden area may not be ideal however we are in strange times and lots of people are doing it.
    What is your main concern about the toilet?
    Whether it's allowed?
    Where the waste is going?
    Whether it will exacerbate more noise/partying etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I hesitate to ask but...
    do you know for sure there's a toilet in there?
    how?

Could be they had the same problem as Barry Gibb as described in this entirely real news story?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Could be they had the same problem as Barry Gibb as described in this entirely real news story?

Just waiting for the next elaboration ......................

He holds religious meetings on Sundays, and place a font in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Just waiting for the next elaboration ......................

He holds religious meetings on Sundays, and place a font in the garden.
    Already has the shrine for St. Jack of Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the clarification, judging by information available on the Internet and my discussions with our local council it would seem there is no issue with having a toilet installed.
    If they are sleeping in it then obviously that contravenes the rules but is it really an issue? Are there noise issues ? Anti social behaviour issues involved with this?
    I agree a bar in a residential garden area may not be ideal however we are in strange times and lots of people are doing it.
    What is your main concern about the toilet?
    Whether it's allowed?
    Where the waste is going?
    Whether it will exacerbate more noise/partying etc?

Hi

If the toilet is allowed then fine....my biggest concern is in bold

Best Neil

Craftsman
    Hi

I appreciate your concern about the waste and obviously if its not disposed of correctly then it will cause issues.
    I have recently dealt with the local environmental health department on a similar matter (a garden full of rotting refuse etc)next door to a rental property i own, they were extremely helpful and their scope of power and enforcement is remarkable, I would advise contacting them if your concerns about the waste become apparent.
    Hopefully your neighbour will deal with the waste appropriately and it won't be necessary.

Now for a musical interlude:

https://youtu.be/Hy8kmNEo1i8?t=4

Blog Entries
    When I was a small child my nana had an outside toilet, sat on it watching the stars, great memories, in the winter there was a candle under the bend to stop it freezing.

Some of you may be having trouble seeing the actual toilet, so I enhanced and zoomed right for you:

Master
    Hi

If the toilet is allowed then fine....my biggest concern is in bold

Best Neil
    From what few videos I’ve seen on YouTube, if it’s a composting toilet, there would be no smell and the waste should be easy to get rid off.