closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flipping days are over for me, now which one to buy for my keeper...

Flipping days are over for me, now which one to buy for my keeper...

I’m hoping for some guidance from owners on a possible two watches, so I’ve been on this forum for many a year and i know i am a serial flipper of watches, I’ve lusted after so many and then when I’ve bought them I’ve moved them on for one reason or another from needing money in the bank, or to going off the watch once the chase has finished to simply not feeling comfortable wearing such an expensive watch...

My intention is simply to have one nicely made, relatively expensive dive watch i can own and be happy with, I’ll always have 2 or 3 of Eddie’s watches to keep and a watch for work, I’ve always loved watches since i was a teen, i have a decent job, house is finally finished, daughters all good and settled and a lifestyle where i feel i deserve to have one luxury item in my belongings now and not feel guilty about it.

Out of all the watches I’ve owned there’s 3 i will narrow down to one (2 really), I’m never going to be able to afford or feel comfortable (price) with the Rolex 14060M which i so miss (sold it to put funds into the wedding fund account years ago, divorced later on, lesson learnt).

The other 2 are a Tudor BB58 (black version) or a Omega Seamaster Ceramic (previous Ceramic model) yet for some stupid reason I’ve moved both on yet over the last few weeks I’ve realised these two ticked all the boxes, dive watch style, bracelet or a multitude of straps, nice slim design, will not draw too much attention and not too big for my girly wrists.

So the question is really, is the new Omega Seamaster a better watch than the Tudor BB58...

Just looking for advice really on both, the end of the day it’ll be down to me to decide but just thought there may be a comment that drives me to one or the other...

Cheers...

Last edited by Martylaa; 29th January 2021 at 23:02.

I’m not a fan of the current SMP300M update, unless it’s a non-date. So even with the snowflake hands it’s the BB58 for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m not a fan of the current SMP300M update, unless it’s a non-date. So even with the snowflake hands it’s the BB58 for me.
    What turns you away from the Omega if you don’t mind me asking?

Online reviews and video’s everyone is swooning over it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s a difficult one actually.
    The BB58 is a classic looking watch but is nothing special in my opinion. It does not have the charm of the earlier snowflake subs.
    The Seamaster is a great looking watch with a more advanced movement, can be had for a bit of a discount I think. That said it looks cr@p in the bracelet and it will date like the other Seamasters, something that BB58 will probably not do.
    If truly a last, end game watch I would go BB58, however I prefer the Seamaster.

I like both, Tudor maybe a bit more versatile? It looks good on any strap. Also, the Omega is a bit more chunky, I think.

Quite a nice choice to have, I reckon.

(By the way I have a 5 weeks old BB58 black for sale if you’re leaning that way :-))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BB58 for sure between the two... but what about a grand seiko? :D

Master
    For one watch I’d go for the most classic of the two, ie the Seamaster. Having tried the BB58 it niggled that it is a homage of sorts, but of a watch that didn’t really exist in the same form. I also bought sight unseen and found all the gold on the dial mismatched to a copper bezel font all a little overbearing. So I sold it. Tastes may change and the faux vintage look may date.

The Omega on the other hand is a bang-up-to-date iteration of an iconic model line. It’ll appear contemporary for years to come in my view.

Just my opinion of course and I’m sure someone will come along next and say I’m wrong!

If it didn’t have to be a diver I’d go Oyster Perpetual or Explorer. Time only, goes with anything, reliable and won’t date at all unless you plump for one of the gaudy colours.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    I like both, Tudor maybe a bit more versatile? It looks good on any strap. Also, the Omega is a bit more chunky, I think.

Quite a nice choice to have, I reckon.

(By the way I have a 5 weeks old BB58 black for sale if you’re leaning that way :-))

Haha i know you do...

Master
    Tough call. I like them both. Probably by a smidge I’d go BB58 of pushed. Good thing though, whichever you choose is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    The BB58 for sure between the two... but what about a grand seiko? :D
    If they ever did the Grand Seiko in a GMT style with a spring drive and not more than 42mm diameter and about 12/13mm thick, I’d be in like a shot...

Flipping days are over for me, now which one for my exit to keep watch...

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    For one watch I’d go for the most classic of the two, ie the Seamaster. Having tried the BB58 it niggled that it is a homage of sorts, but of a watch that didn’t really exist in the same form. I also bought sight unseen and found all the gold on the dial mismatched to a copper bezel font all a little overbearing. So I sold it. Tastes may change and the faux vintage look may date.

The Omega on the other hand is a bang-up-to-date iteration of an iconic model line. It’ll appear contemporary for years to come in my view.

Just my opinion of course and I’m sure someone will come along next and say I’m wrong!

If it didn’t have to be a diver I’d go Oyster Perpetual or Explorer. Time only, goes with anything, reliable and won’t date at all unless you plump for one of the gaudy colours.

Ant
    Ah Rolex too expensive now for me, i could afford one but i never feel comfortable walking around with a potentially £5 to 10k watch on my wrist, hence selling my 16710 GMT last year (and at the time i thought that was my forever watch)...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    If they ever did the Grand Seiko in a GMT style with a spring drive and not more than 42mm diameter and about 12/13mm thick, I’d be in like a shot...

I’m in the same boat!

BB, the hands and dial are perfect.

What about a 39.5mm Planet Ocean? It is obviously a bit thicker than your choices at 14.16mm, but not nearly as thick as other POs and some good discounts available...

It's not just the width of the watch though. I've just got a 44.5mm GS, but with the case shape, smaller almost non existent lugs the watch definately wears more like a 42mm watch than anything bigger.

The quality and finish is superb, but I suspect that a GS GMT would be at a price point higher than both the Omega and the Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It's not just the width of the watch though. I've just got a 44.5mm GS, but with the case shape, smaller almost non existent lugs the watch definately wears more like a 42mm watch than anything bigger.

The quality and finish is superb, but I suspect that a GS GMT would be at a price point higher than both the Omega and the Tudor.
    It’s the thickness as well ken, i do prefer a slimmer watch than something that sits high off the wrist (imo anyway).
    Say they did the GS GMT Sport in the same dimensions but with a spring drive, then I’d be a happy man...

rsteenekamp
    What about a 39.5mm Planet Ocean? It is obviously a bit thicker than your choices at 14.16mm, but not nearly as thick as other POs and some good discounts available...

Think i had the 42mm version a few years ago, just a little too thick for me tbh...

If I need to live with one dive watch then the Submariner always wins (though I see you eliminate that in your OP). Thereafter, that Seamaster is truly beautiful

Of those two, I'd be keeping the bb58. I find the Seamaster a bit disjointed, whereas the Bb58 looks like it all belongs together.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It’s the thickness as well ken, i do prefer a slimmer watch than something that sits high off the wrist (imo anyway).
    Say they did the GS GMT Sport in the same dimensions but with a spring drive, then I’d be a happy man...

rsteenekamp

Think i had the 42mm version a few years ago, just a little too thick for me tbh...
    Then I believe it is the Omega for you. They lie quite flat on the wrist, and the skeleton hands are quite unique (to me).

Also spent many an hour looking over this one from Grand Seiko but its 14.7mm thick, stunning colours, amazing spring drive movement, 40.5mm case but i just know its too thick for me...
    Price new would of been a stretch probably too far for me as well...

Master
    I’ve had the standard BB, and still have the blue dialled SM300. For me the Omega is by far the better watch, in terms of fit, finish and looks. For the money you pay you get a very technically advanced watch. Absolutely love mine.

Master
    They are very different watches and like wise wear different guy. I love my BB58 blue, I put it on and forgot I am wearing it. The SMPc not so much it’s a great watch and I do like it but end up wearing other watches. They are also different in size.

Blog Entries
    That omega. All the way.

Out of the two probably the BB58 but not by much, could flip a coin. Realistically I'd sell both and try my best to get a 5 of 6 digit no date Sub or a 16600.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Out of the two probably the BB58 but not by much, could flip a coin. Realistically I'd sell both and try my best to get a 5 of 6 digit no date Sub or a 16600.
    I get what your saying but I’m at a point where i just don’t feel comfortable wearing a Rolex when I’m out and about (pre-covid days i mean) hence me ruling out ever buying another Rolex again...

Master
    Omega for me
    Just can't get over the Tudor hands.

Master
    Depends on your wrist size to some extent, given the Omega is a fair bit bigger.

A 58 will remain classic with its typical Sub like look but, to me, the new Seamasters are a bit out there with the big waves and shiny ceramic. Nice watch but less conservative as a one luxury watch choice. Depends what your tastes are :)

What about a 2254?

Master
    Omega, the 58 looks like a boy's watch on your wrist IMHO.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Based on your comments, I’d suggest a 38mm Omega aqua Terra with black dial.

What turns you away from the Omega if you don’t mind me asking?

Online reviews and video’s everyone is swooning over it...

Ive owned virtually every steel version of the SMP300M diver, and I honestly feel let down by the date moving to 6. I much prefer the gloss black dial of the previous model, and even the flatter look of the bracelet seems to have lost something on the previous models, at least in looks for me. That said the adjustable clasp is better than the Tudor, but all in all I’d take the Tudor and save over £1000.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Seamaster

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

My preference of the two would be the BB58 but in your position I’d probably just buy an Apple Watch and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My preference of the two would be the BB58 but in your position I’d probably just buy an Apple Watch and be done with it.
    No chance, I’m done with smart watches...

I actually don’t own either of the watches at the moment and the pics are just random from online searches just in case people think i have both and reducing down to one...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Purely on looks alone it would be the Tudor for me.

I not really sold on the newer Seamasters, a bit to bold and flash for me. I do have a 2531 which I think is fantastic, solidly built but slim against the modern watches.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

BB58 from those two, easy choice for me. It's just a nicer watch.

Craftsman
    I’d go with the omega out of the 2

Master
    Objectively, I think that the Omega IS the better watch. But of the two, the one I’ve kept is the BB58. It took me 3 tries before it finally clicked that it ticks all the boxes for me. Comfortable, versatile and dripping with vintage cool. One of my keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I would buy the seamaster, its an icon and technically superior.
    I own a bb41 which is too big but I think the bb58 is too small, when it came out I thought I had to have it but when I handled it in the flesh it didn't feel very substantial and I put it down and walked away without a second thought.
    Your choice, I don't think you'll go wrong with either..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Have the BB58 and for me it’s great. Fits most occasions. I like the snowflake hands and vintage styling. Size is perfect for a daily.

The Seamaster looks awful on the bracelet (no taper) and the HEV size! What were they thinking. I get it’s technically a superior watch.

But all Seamasters look dated when they update and I think this will also.

Maybe the Aqua Terra maybe a better shout?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have always liked the SMP line, but the latest version, whilst good looking, has lost something through Omega's incessant 'tweaks' to every model:
    ...why break up the minute track into inelgant sections?
    ...why use the larger, clumsier Planet Ocean font on the bezel?
    ...why make the helium valve shape even more pronounced?
    ...why have the completely unncessary "ZrO2" text written on the dial?
    ...why change the Omega logo and text to print so that it is now inconruous with the applied hour markers?
    ...why have so much verbiage on the caseback?

Between the two, the BB58 looks a bit more refined and I would go with that. It is a great looking watch for all occasions.

That said, if you'd pitted the BB58 against an Omega SMP 2220.80 (the SMP two versions prior), then I'd go with that. A much more refined tool watch than the newest SMP and has a bit more 'personality' in the design department than the BB58.

I don't agree that the current Seamaster will age badly. I've never looked twice at any of the previous models (I dislike the older crown guards and bracelets in particular) but the new model addresses these and is far more timeless and enduring than the older ones. There's certainly no wiff of 90s fashion about them. On paper a nontapered bracelet sounds odd but on wrist it's not an issue. To my mind they've managed to update the design to a point where it retains the Seamaster dna but looks classy.

I'm sure the BB58 is a fabulous watch too so OP should try both on. I have 7 inch wrists and I can just about get away with the new Seamaster. With a smaller wrist I'd be going for the BB58.

As mentioned, the BB looks very small on your wrist in the above photo - are you sure it's not too small? Barring any size issue, I prefer the Tudor - to me, the modern SMPs look tacky and same-ish with nothing going for them.

Master
    Personally I would go for an AT; the new 300 is a great watch but i reach for my BB58 or my AT. I have not worn my SM for approx 7 months and it has sat in its box.

But no thread or post so complete without photos. So here are are the watches in question on my 6.75” or so wrist.

The Omega.
    Because if you bought the Tudor, everytime you looked at it it would be telling you it is not the Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The Omega.
    Because if you bought the Tudor, everytime you looked at it it would be telling you it is not the Sub
    Pretty sure the Omega isn't a Sub either, so I guess that's a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    As mentioned, the BB looks very small on your wrist in the above photo - are you sure it's not too small? Barring any size issue, I prefer the Tudor - to me, the modern SMPs look tacky and same-ish with nothing going for them.
    I think the photo above is just odd. Here’s the BB58 on my +8 inch wrist.

seamaster , the new white dialed one is my favourite.

Can’t believe what I am reading! You not flipping, TZ won’t be the same.

I would go with the seamaster pal, but only because I prefer a date. Both fantastic choices.

In my opinion while the Omega will be technically be a better watch, with better build quality, as someone else posted its a bit disjointed and somehow even though it has retained all the design elements of the original design it has moved a long way from the classic seamasters of years gone by and for me its just a bit to shouty. The 58 is on the other hand a very good looking watch and considerably cheaper to boot so of those two the bb58 would be an easy choice for me. However if this was to be my ONE watch,for roughly the cost of the new bb58 or less than the new seamaster and staying with the Omega theme I would be looking at a used original Planet Ocean,(the slim 42 mm one) or the best condition 2254 i could find.