closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flipping days are over for me, now which one to buy for my keeper...

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Can’t believe what I am reading! You not flipping, TZ won’t be the same.

I would go with the seamaster pal, but only because I prefer a date. Both fantastic choices.
    I know i know lol, barring the Aqua Terra I’ve probably had every watch mentioned on this thread lol, I’m still trying to work out why i sold the BB58, the Omega 2254 or the previous ceramic Seamaster tbh...

But i know over the last few months I’ve found myself buying a hell of a lot less watches than i have in the last 5 or 6 years...

All i want now is that one watch where on a night out (sometime in the future) or a special day i can put on a nice watch...

I’ll always have a couple of Eddie’sofferings but a nice pricey classy Omega/Tudor would be enough for me...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 30th January 2021 at 09:52.

I don't own a Tudor so here's a gratuitous photo of my Omega.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I don't own a Tudor so here's a gratuitous photo of my Omega.

Ahhhh a fellow North East member, looks nice, how do you find the bracelet on it?

Hi. The bracelet is good, I really appreciated the glidelock clasp when we had warmer weather. The fit and finish is excellent and its a very comfortable watch to wear.

It's interesting to have the glass case back so you can see the wonderful workings, especially if you get a loupe on it. Definitely a keeper.

If you do go with the SMP - just note that on the grey dial version the date is very difficult to see in real life (especially in mid to low light conditions) as it just blends into the grey face - I sold mine for this reason... can’t understand why they didn’t choose a more contrasting colour for the date... I then went fir the PO as my holiday watch...

I think it all comes down to your own personal style. The Seamaster is a bit bigger and bolder, the BB58 is a bit smaller and under the radar. There’s not much in it though.

Personally, I would agree with some of the comments above that if it was going to be my ‘one luxury watch’ I’d be going for something more versatile like an AT / OP / Ex1, (reservations about Rolex noted) but I’m sure you’ve chosen the two above for a good reason.

Craftsman
    Tudor 58 for me. Never been a fan of the Seamaster, although the rubber strap version is more appealing than the bracelet. AT is another decent option.

I’d at least try a GS. The snowflake measures 41x12.5mm, level of finish will be 2 steps up plus spring drive :) if someone tries to rob you just tell them it’s a Seiko.

They’re quite different imho. I had one of the original Brosnan Omegas in the 90’s just after launch and always found it a bit flashy - I’d sold a 5513 to put down a deposit on my first flat and when I got married bought the Seamaster as a ‘replacement’. Somehow it always seemed very ‘90’s’ and everyone I knew who liked watches at the time seemed to own one, they were everywhere, even Mr Tumble on CBeebies had one! Anyhow I sold it after 5 years as a daily wearer, then re-entered the world of £2000 Rolex sports and flipped each model for about 15 years!
    I’ve never really got over the 90’s look of the Seamaster and have never wanted another, I just don’t like the design really. It looks like a lot more watch for the money than the BB58 - I’ve tried one of those on and it does feel like a fairly lightweight, unsophisticated watch tbh. Just like a Rolex 5513 does if we are being honest about it! I do think the Omega looks ok on pictures, but where the BB screams ‘tool watch’ the Omega is a bit ‘jewellery’ for me. Is there a middle ground in either range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    They’re quite different imho. I had one of the original Brosnan Omegas in the 90’s just after launch and always found it a bit flashy - I’d sold a 5513 to put down a deposit on my first flat and when I got married bought the Seamaster as a ‘replacement’. Somehow it always seemed very ‘90’s’ and everyone I knew who liked watches at the time seemed to own one, they were everywhere, even Mr Tumble on CBeebies had one! Anyhow I sold it after 5 years as a daily wearer, then re-entered the world of £2000 Rolex sports and flipped each model for about 15 years!
    I’ve never really got over the 90’s look of the Seamaster and have never wanted another, I just don’t like the design really. It looks like a lot more watch for the money than the BB58 - I’ve tried one of those on and it does feel like a fairly lightweight, unsophisticated watch tbh. Just like a Rolex 5513 does if we are being honest about it! I do think the Omega looks ok on pictures, but where the BB screams ‘tool watch’ the Omega is a bit ‘jewellery’ for me. Is there a middle ground in either range?

There is this but i do prefer Dive or GMT watches tbh...

I know i could get around 15-18% off these new and always loved the quality of these especially the Spring Drive movement but its 14.7 mom thick...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    The BB58 for sure between the two...
    This.

Fine watch that the SMP 300 is, they are just too common.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The options i have basically are one of these 3 second hand...

Omega 2254 for around £2600???

Omega Seamaster 300 for around £3300???

Tudor BB58 for around £2600???

The total outsider and new Grand Seiko GMT Spring Drive, could prob get this around £4600 ish???

99% sure it’ll be one of the top three but that 1% chance of the GS is there niggling away lol...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Ah Rolex too expensive now for me, i could afford one but i never feel comfortable walking around with a potentially £5 to 10k watch on my wrist, hence selling my 16710 GMT last year (and at the time i thought that was my forever watch)...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And that 16710 I bought from you is in my forever bucket. In fact like you I'm done with flipping, I have 4 on my list to complete my collection but none will get flipped. Of your selections, you can't go wrong with either but prefer the Omega personally.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    And that 16710 I bought from you is in my forever bucket. In fact like you I'm done with flipping, I have 4 on my list to complete my collection but none will get flipped. Of your selections, you can't go wrong with either but prefer the Omega personally.
    Glad you are enjoying it mate, it was too nice to sit in a safe and wear in the house tbh, it’s just me personally but the couple of times I wore it on a night out I just felt really self conscious...

I get what your saying but I’m at a point where i just don’t feel comfortable wearing a Rolex when I’m out and about (pre-covid days i mean) hence me ruling out ever buying another Rolex again...
    There are options which aren't loud. Both Explorers, Sub ND, SD 16600 - even the Milgauss although I'm not a fan of the polished centre links, too loud for me personally.

If I was dropping down to one watch only I'd want it to be a Rolex, just not one with polished centre links or a cyclops with a coloured bezel.

Flipping days are over for me, now which one to buy for my keeper...

Glad you are enjoying it mate, it was too nice to sit in a safe and wear in the house tbh, it’s just me personally but the couple of times I wore it on a night out I just felt really self conscious...

I made a career change from a world full of client lunches, suits and fancy watches to working in an environment helping people with very little money, and after a couple of years only wearing my Sub LV at the weekend I realised it just wasn’t ‘me’ any more. I also realise I’d have sold it anyway, I’m not comfortable wearing the price of a decent car on my wrist, in fact I bought my wife a Rolex about 15 years ago and she insisted I return it as ‘She didn’t want to worry about being attacked or mugged for a watch!’ Feels odd having worn a Rolex for 15 years previously and never even thinking about it but we all change! I also realise id have sold the LV anyway by now with their huge appreciation and spent the money on a decent holiday or a car for my son, I just don’t want lots of money tied up in a watch. I have thought about an ‘exit watch’ and mad as it sounds I’d choose something I really like and almost hope it depreciates horribly so I just keep it and never consider flipping!

Of the watches being discussed I would be looking for a 2254. Had one and still regret selling it. Gorgeous design, slim, extremely comfortable, looks great on the bracelet and on a nato. I haven't tried on a BB58 but I think I'd go with one of those over the new SMP. Personally I'd probably go with a blue one rather than black/gold, but that's entirely subjective of course, I don't mind the faux vintage thing, I just don't like that they have done it to the bezel as well. I have an ETA BB in black and it's a lovely watch. The same thing in a slightly smaller package can't be bad.

The GS does nothing for me I’m afraid -
    Beautifully made I’m sure but at a glance it just looks like a £99 Argos Seiko - probably sounds stupid but that’s the first thing that springs to mind!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The GS does nothing for me I’m afraid -
    Beautifully made I’m sure but at a glance it just looks like a £99 Argos Seiko - probably sounds stupid but that’s the first thing that springs to mind!

Haha please don’t let the marketing crowd at GS read this...

Quote Originally Posted by JNH View Post
    Of the watches being discussed I would be looking for a 2254. Had one and still regret selling it. Gorgeous design, slim, extremely comfortable, looks great on the bracelet and on a nato. I haven't tried on a BB58 but I think I'd go with one of those over the new SMP. Personally I'd probably go with a blue one rather than black/gold, but that's entirely subjective of course, I don't mind the faux vintage thing, I just don't like that they have done it to the bezel as well. I have an ETA BB in black and it's a lovely watch. The same thing in a slightly smaller package can't be bad.
    ETA BB is a good shout actually. Bit slimmer than the in house, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    ETA BB is a good shout actually. Bit slimmer than the in house, yes?
    Correct. I think the black version comes at a bit of a premium these days because of the short production run, not really keeping up with that though so I'm not sure how much. I do think it's a well proportioned watch and fits my wrist okay (and it's probably slightly slimmer than OPs). But looking for a keeper and to reduce flipping I'd maybe pick something slimmer and that's why I'd pick the 2254 first, but that's just my preference.

Craftsman
    out of those 4 i’d go omega 2254, a true classic and an appreciating value makes it a winner

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Pretty sure the Omega isn't a Sub either, so I guess that's a wash.
    Of course it isn't and it doesn't look like one or have any connection to one, in the same way that the Speedmaster has no connection to the Daytona, they are totally different watches.
    (Apart form they are both divers or chronos)

Tudor and Rolex on the other hand .........

Of the two I would go the BB58. There is more movement interest and finesse in the Omega, but as a harmonious design I like the BB58 much more.

I always appreciated the original 2531.80 from the late 90s, but with every upgrade it gets technically better, yet drifts from the earlier design purity. I still hate the HEV too!

Dave

Craftsman
    I'm happy wearing a Rolex around. No one ever seems to notice. I have a SD and a explorer so they can take some hitting.

In terms of the watches below the BB58 is my favourite. Then I had a Mkii Kingston that I thought I would never let go....but did.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    There are options which aren't loud. Both Explorers, Sub ND, SD 16600 - even the Milgauss although I'm not a fan of the polished centre links, too loud for me personally.

If I was dropping down to one watch only I'd want it to be a Rolex, just not one with polished centre links or a cyclops with a coloured bezel.

Journeyman
    I’d go for a used 2254 too. Some great options discussed so far

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Of course it isn't and it doesn't look like one or have any connection to one, in the same way that the Speedmaster has no connection to the Daytona, they are totally different watches.
    (Apart form they are both divers or chronos)

Tudor and Rolex on the other hand .........
    I was being a bit facetious, but I think my point stands.

The Tudor / Rolex company structure has little bearing on the product. Tudors are distinct and recognisable. There's far more similar looking watches to a Sub than a BB58, it's got it's own design and it's own spot in the market.

Saying people will just think of a Rolex Sub when wearing a Tudor BB58 is no different to saying people will just think of a Blancpain FF when wearing an Omega Seamaster. Seems a bit absurd to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a big fan of the 58. Wear mine most of the time now.

In the photos the gilt often looks more gold than in real life.

Here are some shots of mine. The Omega is a bit too big for me and I don’t like the HEV.

Tudor Black Bay 58 on RubberB

Sailing with the 58

Cycling with the 58

Apprentice
    BB58 for me.

If the blue Grand Seiko has a chance, albeit a small chance, what about the BB58 blue?

Out of those options I would also go for the 2254. I'll always regret not buying one of those before the prices went out of my price zone.

Love the new SMP300 though, especially with silver dial.

Well gents I’ve ended up with what I feel is it for me, only problem is I need to move one of the watches on as I didn’t want six, I was aiming for 5 watches and one of them for work, dilemma now is which one it move on...

So I did try a Omega 2254 last week but I just wasn’t feeling it so in the end I went for the Tudor BB58 which arrived today, pretty much the perfect watch for me...

Now need to decide which one out of the box moves on, I feel like it’s the PRS-14 to go as the Halios was purchased to add some summer colour, Seiko is for work and the 2 x PRS-25’s are perfect for something different if we ever are allowed out again...

It seems to me that the six watches is the perfect solution, one in each slot in the box and one on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It seems to me that the six watches is the perfect solution, one in each slot in the box and one on the wrist.
    Slippery slope

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I admire your thinking, but...

Problem solved:

Craftsman
    have you looked at the latest 62MAS re-editions from SEIKO? The SLA037 (with Hi-Beat Movement) or the SLA043 could tick the box...

Flipping days are over for me, now which one to buy for my keeper...

Quote Originally Posted by COMEX View Post
    have you looked at the latest 62MAS re-editions from SEIKO? The SLA037 (with Hi-Beat Movement) or the SLA043 could tick the box...
    Oh I’m not looking at buying any more now, I’m done and happy with my modest collection, won’t be too self conscious to wear any of these watches unlike the Rolex’s I’ve had in the past, with me being worried about damaging them etc etc.

Only thing is do I sell the PRS-14 (or even trade it) on now, it’s a lovely watch but can’t see me wearing it that much now as it’s a little too thick for my scrawny wrists lol...

Last edited by Martylaa; 12th February 2021 at 20:58.

I was a sceptic of both, if you want a vintage classic look the bb58 is a nice choice, but in terms of modernity and overall wow factor the omega wins. I was in the omega boutique the other day and I have to say that it blew me away. It just has beautiful depth to the dial and lovely crystal. It's quite amazing, the bracelet does look a bit dated now tho.

Master
    Omega for me.
    Really nice

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    If you do go with the SMP - just note that on the grey dial version the date is very difficult to see in real life (especially in mid to low light conditions) as it just blends into the grey face - I sold mine for this reason... can’t understand why they didn’t choose a more contrasting colour for the date... I then went fir the PO as my holiday watch...
    I had exactly the same issue. I was so excited when the postman finally delivered the watch but as soon as i tried to read the time on the grey dial I realised we just weren’t going to gel so promptly sold it. The white dial on the other hand is just stunning and so easy to read.

Quite surprised how little love there is here for the Omega Seamaster, I think they are superb watches so that would absolutely be my choice, the Tudor does nothing for me at all unfortunately.