closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DE shaving "starter kit"

Master

DE shaving "starter kit"

So I started DE shaving about 5 months ago. And quickly realised this is something I'm definitely going to enjoy so invested in a good Razor (Rex Ambassador).
    Sooooooo my original kit is surplus to requirement.
    Now I'm happy just to give this away (I'll cover postage) with just a donation to the fund raiser but if there was enough interest in it then I'd do a lotto type draw using one of those random number selector jobbys.
    If anyone is interested in trying this then just let me know in the comments. And I'll use that order for the number selector. Make sense?
    I'll through in a couple of packs of blades too the only thing I'd recommend the "winner" getting would be an Alum block for any cuts/nicks etc. Only a couple of quid on amazon.
    Anyway I'll attach a pic below.
    The Razor is an Edwin Jagger DE
    89 I think.
    Proraso soap which has been described as the G Shock of shaving soaps.
    Badger brush (I've changed to synthetic for my own personal reasons)
    Dorco and Derby blades. Both work well for me in the Rex.
    If this gets no interest then the first (only) person to comment can have it.

Just to add that everything is in used condition albeit minimal.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Master
    Put my name in the hat.

Craftsman

DE Shaving

I did the same as you a couple of months ago. Was using plastic (high quality) disposables in the shower and just carelessly scraping away. Decided to go back to the old school way and reduce my plastic waste footprint into the bargain

I use either a Rex Envoy or when needing a lighter shave set my Rockwell 6s at 3.

Currently using Rockwell 6s at 6 for first two passes with the grain then at 2 or 3 for across the grain in the 3rd and final pass.

Shaving has become interesting rather than a chore and doing it well gives a superb finish.

Also tried straight razors a year or two back for the full 'manly' experience but that was too scary and difficult to get a good finish so to knock it back a notch to DE was definitely the way to go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
    I did the same as you a couple of months ago. Was using plastic (high quality) disposables in the shower and just carelessly scraping away. Decided to go back to the old school way and reduce my plastic waste footprint into the bargain

I use either a Rex Envoy or when needing a lighter shave set my Rockwell 6s at 3.

Currently using Rockwell 6s at 6 for first two passes with the grain then at 2 or 3 for across the grain in the 3rd and final pass.

Shaving has become interesting rather than a chore and doing it well gives a superb finish.

Also tried straight razors a year or two back for the full 'manly' experience but that was too scary and difficult to get a good finish so to knock it back a notch to DE was definitely the way to go.
    Definitely agree with you about the interesting part. I use a shaving cream and bowl so it's the whole experience of shaving now rather than just getting it done. Its something that definitely can't be rushed now.

Master

I'm still learning, but what does this mean, this setting? Tks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I'm still learning, but what does this mean, this setting? Tks!
    It's an adjustable razor. The same as my Rex ambassador. With me it's 1-6 with 1 being mild and 6 being aggressive.

Edit. I think the Rockwell comes with plates whereas the Ambassador is purely adjustable.

Last edited by sniper-sam; 29th January 2021 at 16:02.

Add my name Please

Cheers

Craftsman

Settings

Yes, the higher the number the more aggressive the shave. That is to say the gap between the leading edge of the shaver head and the blade is largest at 6 and smallest at 1.

You set the razor according to your needs and preference. More skill and practice required for 6 as, with sloppy technique (like you learn and get away with when using floating/swivel head disposables) you stand a good chance of nicking yourself.

Heavy stubble needs a bigger number, light/short stubble a small number. If you try and tackle heavy stubble with a low number setting it will take many passes and clog up the razor frequently.

The Rockwell does indeed have a set of interchangeable plates. Three of them with one setting on each side. Some people just fit and forget say picking a 4 for all shaves but most that buy an adjustable use that facility. Plate changing is the same process as changing a blade so not much trouble. Another regime for my daily might be 6 on the first pass 4 on the second and 2 on the last. Frankly that is often one too many changes for my tastes so a 6,6,2 or perhaps a 5,3,3 . would be the way I often go.

Rex and Rockwell are both pretty high end kit (Rolex ish? but not Patek) and for a watch collector, DE razors are another rich vein to mine.

Be warned....there are forums on this subject...

Master
    Yes, the higher the number the more aggressive the shave. That is to say the gap between the leading edge of the shaver head and the blade is largest at 6 and smallest at 1.

You set the razor according to your needs and preference. More skill and practice required for 6 as, with sloppy technique (like you learn and get away with when using floating/swivel head disposables) you stand a good chance of nicking yourself.

Heavy stubble needs a bigger number, light/short stubble a small number. If you try and tackle heavy stubble with a low number setting it will take many passes and clog up the razor frequently.

The Rockwell does indeed have a set of interchangeable plates. Three of them with one setting on each side. Some people just fit and forget say picking a 4 for all shaves but most that buy an adjustable use that facility. Plate changing is the same process as changing a blade so not much trouble. Another regime for my daily might be 6 on the first pass 4 on the second and 2 on the last. Frankly that is often one too many changes for my tastes so a 6,6,2 or perhaps a 5,3,3 . would be the way I often go.

Rex and Rockwell are both pretty high end kit (Rolex ish? but not Patek) and for a watch collector, DE razors are another rich vein to mine.

Be warned....there are forums on this subject...
    It's definitely a rabbit hole. Supposed to save money but in reality it's costs more although I've settled down a bit now. Got the Razor and brush and happy with and not interested in collecting soaps and splashes etc. I've settled on one scent which is the Creed Aventus aquivalent and just have several variations of it.

Master
    Thanks for the explanations above!

Master
    I used an adjustable Merkur for years. I think I stopped adjusting it after the first few months. That was partially down to my laziness and partially due to the razor. That said, worth a try if you are moving into DE. I'm currently using a standard DE razor.

To the OP, don't include me in the draw, I have too much DE gear already, but did want to complement you on a really generous offer.

Blog Entries
    My eyes opened to these kiddies by one the dearest on here who presented me the most wonderful gift when we had our parting lunch.

I still use it this day and always puts a smile on my face when I think of big nose.

Pitch

This is something I've wanted to get more into too.
    Put my name down, please.
    I'll put something in the fundraiser if I'm the Chosen One
    :)

Master
    I'll run the random number selector at some point tonight. Anyone else fancy giving this a go just comment

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    A very generous offer Sir.

I would be honoured to join the band of the hopeful, although I am already somewhat anxious regarding the carnage that may ensue if I I ended up armed with the prize.

Journeyman
    Please add me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    A very generous offer Sir.

I would be honoured to join the band of the hopeful, although I am already somewhat anxious regarding the carnage that may ensue if I I ended up armed with the prize.
    OK so I counted 5 people that wanted to be included. Just ran the random number app and stopped it on 4 which I make you Mr Nuttington.
    Send me your address via Pm and I'll get this off to you next week.
    If you're able too just stick a few quid in th fund raiser. No need to prove that you've done it.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Oh my word, first thing I’ve won in many a year.

I didn’t mention it earlier but this will have a special meaning - I had a tumour removed from my jawline a couple of weeks back so will be able to shave fully again now for the first time in ages. Really looking forward to trying decent tools for the job. Let the bloodbath commence!

I will of course pop a contribution into the fundraiser. Thanks again for your generosity.

Congrats Mr N enjoy they are very good Razors..

Cheers

How do you find the Rex Ambassador Sam? It has a reputation for aggression above 3. As Matt P at Razor Emporium says, "From mild to wild."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    How do you find the Rex Ambassador Sam? It has a reputation for aggression above 3. As Matt P at Razor Emporium says, "From mild to wild."
    Mild to wild I like that saying.
    I haven't actually used it above 3 yet.
    As a razor though I love it and I love the adjustability of it. My neck can be quite sensitive when shaving so I dial the Rex right down for my neck and that works a treat. For my face I probably could go higher than 3 but in all honesty I'm happy with the outcome I'm getting.
    My reason for getting the Rex was purely on recommendation from Brian @ Executive Shaving. You see I wanted to spend a bit of money on one good razor rather than having a collection like alot of people in the hobby (if you could call it that) do.
    So far it's worked as the bulk of my spend now is really just on shaving balm and after shave.

Thanks Sam,

Thanks for the reply and I admire your restraint.

Top Row - left to right:
    Feather Popular, Feather AS-D2, 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable, Rockwell Model T, Rockwell 6S, Wilkinson Sword TTO Classic, Razorock Hawk SE v3.

Botton Row - left to right:
    1959 Gillette Fatboy, Merkur 15C, Mühle R41, 1960s Gillette Tech, 1955 Gold Gillette Tech, Merkur 37C and last but far from least, the Merkur 34C.

That shot was taken at the beginning of January and there are I think another three to add to the collection. The way I look at it is that it's a much cheaper hobby than buying watches and possibly more practical. Some of them only get used a couple of times a year, but my regulars are the Feather ASD2, The Rockwell 6S, The FatBoy and the Hawk 3 SE. I think my favourite is the ASD2 which takes some learning due to the different angle of attack.

I've been looking at a Rex Ambassador but as you can see I already have some expensive razors and realistically, it would sit around most of the time not doing very much. But like watches you can have just as much fun at the lower end of things, as my latest a £15 Baili proved the other day.

Enjoy your shaves!

Cheers

David

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Thanks Sam,

Thanks for the reply and I admire your restraint.

Top Row - left to right:
    Feather Popular, Feather AS-D2, 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable, Rockwell Model T, Rockwell 6S, Wilkinson Sword TTO Classic, Razorock Hawk SE v3.

Botton Row - left to right:
    1959 Gillette Fatboy, Merkur 15C, Mühle R41, 1960s Gillette Tech, 1955 Gold Gillette Tech, Merkur 37C and last but far from least, the Merkur 34C.

That shot was taken at the beginning of January and there are I think another three to add to the collection. The way I look at it is that it's a much cheaper hobby than buying watches and possibly more practical. Some of them only get used a couple of times a year, but my regulars are the Feather ASD2, The Rockwell 6S, The FatBoy and the Hawk 3 SE. I think my favourite is the ASD2 which takes some learning due to the different angle of attack.

I've been looking at a Rex Ambassador but as you can see I already have some expensive razors and realistically, it would sit around most of the time not doing very much. But like watches you can have just as much fun at the lower end of things, as my latest a £15 Baili proved the other day.

Enjoy your shaves!

Cheers

David
    Yip you're one of those collectors then. For me personally that doesn't interest me although things can change. For now though I'm more than happy with the Rex. Which I'd recommend to anyone.