closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA: Rolex 126613LB available from Mappin & Well in Chester

PSA: Rolex 126613LB available from Mappin & Well in Chester

I was really pleased to purchase a new Rolex Explorer I from my local Rolex AD. I've been after one of these for a while. With its 39mm, beautiful black dial and wonderful history I was delighted to add to it to my small collection. Even better, it is going to be hand-delivered by one of the staff early next week. Happy days.

In my hunt for this, I found out today that Mappin and Webb in Chester have a bi-metal 126613LB submariner in stock should anyone be looking for one. Having been able to purchase the 126610LN before Christmas, it wasn't for me but perhaps someone here can benefit?

Here's the link to the sub on the Rolex website: https://www.rolex.com/watches/submar...13lb-0002.html.

If I hadn’t bought too many watches over the last few weeks...

The 70th Panerai’s were a real surprise - but this watch has been on my want list for a few years now - I will have it!
    It's just a matter of time...

I had this same model in my hand back in Nov, but decided against it - you need to be an old codger to carry it off. Lovely looking watch though, captivating blue. Guess I need to wait another 20 years or so...

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I had this same model in my hand back in Nov, but decided against it - you need to be an old codger to carry it off. Lovely looking watch though, captivating blue. Guess I need to wait another 20 years or so...
    I’m almost there in the old codger category. So I’m ready ;)

I’d love one, and I’m looking for a little more colour in adding any new watches - I can still wear an older Submarine of I want to wear a steel watch. Plus I’m unlikely to be able to get the new LV any time soon :(

Master
    My dad had one of these for years before getting the full gold version around 10 years ago. Lovely watches and as he keeps telling me, why does anyone need a lot of watches when you’ve got one of these!

Yes, you need a really hairy wrist to pull this one off. The only TT sports model I thought I could wear would be the steel and gold GMT-2C.

A colleague of mine has one. I was on a video call with him yesterday and it looked stunning. Also he's no spring chicken but not old and crusty either.

A good friend of mine bought the earlier version around 1998 - I thought it was too bright and 'blingy' at the time - but now, love the look.

Of course - it was slightly smaller back then

Master
    I’ve got one albeit the LN not LB, see thread further down and I’m definitely no codger and mine looks marvellous I can tell you

What are thoughts on availability?

I am seriously considering selling a few of my recent purchases, and maybe a couple of others from the watch box, and just going for it.

I do really like the watch, and have been planning to add one for sometime, the newer update probably makes it very good timing for me too.

To be honest - personal tastes vary significantly with no right or wrong either way. I personally wouldn’t even wear a two tone or yellow gold watch if given one for free... I would happily accept it, but sell it on immediately, so I am not surprised at all that a LB is available at an AD

Congrats on the Explorer. Nice to know the Chester branch actually do come through for some chosen folk. They struck me off a list (A list!) for an OP39 after the 41 came out, and told me I'd have to repeat the 80 mile round trip to re-register my interest. Rather than, you know, writing my name on a card over the phone and sticking it straight in the bin like they did last time!
    Shame really, as when I emailed the manager (Gary) during the first lockdown in April 2020 he "Was looking forward to supporting me on my Rolex Journey". I'm starting to think he may not have been being entirely sincere there...

Just to be clear, the Explorer came from my local AD in Newcastle-under-Lyme.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think the LB is gorgeous. Cheers for the heads up but it’s just not a good time right now :/

Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    To be honest - personal tastes vary significantly with no right or wrong either way. I personally wouldn’t even wear a two tone or yellow gold watch if given one for free... I would happily accept it, but sell it on immediately, so I am not surprised at all that a LB is available at an AD
    I can appreciate that view, and probably felt the same way 20 years ago. While the vast majority of my collection is steel, I do have a few bi-metal, full precious metal, or titanium watches. As an only watch, I’d like track down a steel diver, but as an additional watch, I think it would definitely have its place - I will definitely buy one ;)

...you need to be an old codger to carry it off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    My dad had one of these for years before getting the full gold version around 10 years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    A colleague of mine has one...he's no spring chicken but not old and crusty either.
    I think the bi-metal subs are a good transitional watch before going to full 'old codger' and spending a chunk of the retirement lump sum on a full gold one.

I don’t think I’d buy a full gold Sub though. I’d happily own a full gold GMT, or wear my gold Daytona, but I much prefer the look of the steel or two-tone in the Sub.

Do they do they new two tone with a diamond marker dial?

Unfortunately I’m stuck on the Isle of Man, and the watch is apparently collection only regardless of the Covid situation - so I can’t even go for it even though I’ve decided to sell a few other pieces to cover the cost - damn it :(

Grand Master
    With my "old codger" eyes screwed,this bit of gold makes for a similar look.

Very much so ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Unfortunately I’m stuck on the Isle of Man, and the watch is apparently collection only regardless of the Covid situation - so I can’t even go for it even though I’ve decided to sell a few other pieces to cover the cost - damn it :(
    Will they not let you pay for it now and collect when we’re allowed to move around again? On a CC for you protection.

Master
    I have paid for a couple of watches mainly from a selfish perspective to save money and remove it from my account and will collect when lockdown is over from goldsmiths. They were willing to deliver if I was local but unfortunately the store I use is around an hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Will they not let you pay for it now and collect when we’re allowed to move around again? On a CC for you protection.
    We are in a slightly different situation here. I have been advised that may not be allowed back on the island at some stage if I leave for any non-essential and pre agreed travel/return, depending on how things progress. So I’d really have no way of giving any indication of a future date. I might have to try and get my brother in the UK to speak to a few AD’s after he is from from the current lockdown, and then maybe he could collect and just post over to me. Unfortunately he is in Chorley, so I doubt they’d deliver that far either.

The good news is that it looks like we will have a lifting of all restrictions on Island from 1st Feb, which is expected to be announced at 4pm today. So as long as you don’t leave you can carry on as normal with no need for social distance or masks etc. and the gyms, bars, and restaurants are all due to reopen too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Congrats on the Explorer. Nice to know the Chester branch actually do come through for some chosen folk. They struck me off a list (A list!) for an OP39 after the 41 came out, and told me I'd have to repeat the 80 mile round trip to re-register my interest. Rather than, you know, writing my name on a card over the phone and sticking it straight in the bin like they did last time!
    Shame really, as when I emailed the manager (Gary) during the first lockdown in April 2020 he "Was looking forward to supporting me on my Rolex Journey". I'm starting to think he may not have been being entirely sincere there...
    Imagine how much goodwill (extra business) if you were informed you would be carried over to ‘help you on the journey’ Why do some SA’s make potential customers jump through so many hoops?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    Imagine how much goodwill (extra business) if you were informed you would be carried over to ‘help you on the journey’ Why do some SA’s make potential customers jump through so many hoops?
    I phoned M&W in Chester last year, basically my Rolex journey with them was like jumping in a car with 4 flat tyres, a dead battery and discovering that all the local roads are shut due to roadworks

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I phoned M&W in Chester last year, basically my Rolex journey with them was like jumping in a car with 4 flat tyres, a dead battery and discovering that all the local roads are shut due to roadworks
    So they told you to get on your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I have paid for a couple of watches mainly from a selfish perspective to save money and remove it from my account and will collect when lockdown is over from goldsmiths. They were willing to deliver if I was local but unfortunately the store I use is around an hour away.
    Wait you bought watches to save money? Did I read that right? That's genius, why have I never thought of this excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Wait you bought watches to save money? Did I read that right? That's genius, why have I never thought of this excuse!
    It’s man maths at its best.

Although for some brands it definitely makes sense to buy now if you get ordered a watch, before the end of a wait list or price rises etc.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I saved £500 buying a watch for my wife two months earlier than planned after a tip from Haywood. Does that count? ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    . Rather than, you know, writing my name on a card over the phone and sticking it straight in the bin like they did last time!
    V good.
    LOL