closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The watch buyers question...

Blog Entries

The watch buyers question...

It's always a conundrum isn't it? Maybe this applies to quite a few areas of life, as well as here at a watch forum. The question is this (and I think I know the correct answer already: the puritanical one, but I am a bit of a heathen): Do you go for the relatively cheaper more instant gratification, or do you save your pennies and go for the more expensive but ultimately more satisfying option?

(The third way is to get the first cheaper option immediately then save some cash then sell the first one at a loss and end up effectively paying more for the more expensive option).

To put some context around this.

I am thinking I could buy what seems to be the current hot topic watch - Zenith Chronomaster Sport. I can imagine in 12 months time these will be on sale like most other Zenith - and if I did sell then I'd lose money - but I am used to that. I get to have the Zenith for a while, enjoy it and then pass on for someone else to enjoy. However, I have a long range target in mind in a different league which is the Audemars Piquet Royal Oak either the Self-winding 41mm (15500ST) or "Jumbo" Extra Thin (15202ST) at 39mm. They are rare indeed and even if I had the cash straight to hand - I could not proverbially walk into a virtual showroom and buy one.

And there are other watches at the Zenith Price point that are interesting (Omega Bond 007 Edn.; Jaeger-LeCoultre Deep Sea Vintage Chronograph etc) - which are possible now..

So what would you do?

Martyn

If the Zenith will be tying-up funds that would go to the AP if one were to surface during your ownership, then hold out for the AP. I say this, as then you don't have to wait for someone to buy your Zenith to permit you to buy the AP (as one of those ROs isn't going to hang around!)

If you have the reserves to cover the AP whilst owning the Zenith, then buy the Zenith and release at a later date when you have the AP.

I'd say go for the best / your most desired one! Which for me would be the 39 mm Jumbo out of the bunch...

Agree that the Zenith will eventually drop in price - who knows maybe in a couple of months there'd be someone who sells one on Chrono24 for a reasonably big discount:)

Also I think the AP is harder to find and could only go up in price, whereas the Zenith is a lot easier to find:)

I would go for the watch you really want, the zenith will likely be a dalliance that will soon be forgotten.
    But the correct answer is buy both and keep both
    Eat beans on toast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would go for the watch you really want, the zenith will likely be a dalliance that will soon be forgotten.
    Eat beans on toast
    Like your style!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Eat beans on toast
    “The watch buyers answer...”
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    The man watch maths...

Only you will know how much you want it and how much of a new/hot watch premium you are willing to pay. That’s assuming this even drops in value, maybe it won’t even drop that much in the next year, who knows, there seems plenty of fans out there already, and at the right price this will fly on SC.

The AP is stunning, not sure what the situation is now in terms of getting one. Only a few years ago it was a walk in and buy for the 41mm.

Can’t really go that wrong with decisions on both watches.

This thread is useless without pic(k)s!

Master
    Sadly, it makes no real difference. Whatever model you buy, it only scratches the itch for a while, then the process repeats itself. On and on, round and round. There is no ‘correct’ approach and no obvious end.....

Master
    AP Martyn AP

Are we your ‘enablers’?
    Personally I’d pass on that particular Zenith. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket by something that you could move on without too much of a loss and keep your eyes on the big prize...
    Good luck

Master
    You won’t be able to hold out :)

Get something that interests you now and worry about funding the AP later.

That said, I’m not sure I’d go in at close to retail on the Zenith if that’s the only way to get it soon. I think it’s a stunner but will likely drop significantly on the used market. You could be losing a couple of grand potentially?

Maybe find something else at the price point with stronger residuals? I bet there’s a few that interest you, it’s a good price point :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Sadly, it makes no real difference. Whatever model you buy, it only scratches the itch for a while, then the process repeats itself. On and on, round and round. There is no ‘correct’ approach and no obvious end.....
    Sadly too true, except the man maths advances another step each time.

“But why? Why shouldn’t I buy it...”

Buy what you want, otherwise in 12 months time you’ll still want it and regret having spent some of the funds on a stopgap

Master
    I love these kind of threads...this is what watch forums should be about...

My view, buy the Zenith now when you can. I posted a link in the other thread with it selling (apparently) for well under retail on C24.

For what it is worth, my view is that it will not be a typical Zenith depreciation curve and you may be surprised in 12-24 months if you decide to sell.

(Is that enough to make your man maths add?)

Craftsman
    Hold off the decision until the Zenith CS is in the showroom. See how it wears and keep in mind it’s an updated El Primero that is also a Daytona competitor

Always get the one you REALLY want. If you don’t then you will still want it if you get the other one. Aim high, shoot high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I am a saver/go for the long game. I find the wait and reading about, looking at, c learning about phase enjoyable though.

If you get the zenith, you'll at least have little difficulty shifting it here, I'd be interested myself!

Enjoy the decision

Craftsman
    Ignore the Zenith itch, and hold out for the AP..it's the real prize... Start making enquires for the AP now, which will keep you entertained!

The watch buyers question...

I would say go for the Zenith and enjoy your time with it whilst you wait for a few thousand years for your name to reach the top of the list for an AP Royal Oak (dependant on dial colour!)

Then when that happens, sell your Zenith here as I am sure it will be snapped up even in a year or two (me! ) and then enjoy the Oak.

The reason for the above is the RO is also one of my grails but not having any idea of the ETA means I could be without any new purchases for years (not a bad thing!) and that is frightening!

However, be aware that you are basically asking other addicts on whether you should take another hit!

Master
    Personally buy both enjoy the zenith now and it may grow on you that you end up keeping both. The AP will arrive when the pixies allow. At the end of the day it’s a watch and there is no righter wrong answer.

AP no question, but only if you've been told one is possible by an AD.

Endure the bitter sweet feeling of having to wait for the one you really want, the short term fix is so fleeting, the 'grail' watch will be remembered long after the money is forgotten, the thrill is in the chase, wheres the fun in just buying a watch thats easy to buy? Those watches never feel as special as the ones you had to hunt out and wait and work for.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I would look at the latest Omega Bond Seamaster. I think it looks very cool, unlike some of their previous efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I would scratch the Zenith itch. As others have said, you'll get a good price for it on here almost immediately given the admiration it's elicited. And anyway I don't think this one is going to depreciate as Zs generally do.

Master
    The Zenith is a very nice piece but resembles too much to a Daytona. Would it bother you if someone spots it on your wrist and asks ‘oh is that a Daytona?’ I can kind of seeing it happening.

As others have said I think it’s better to try once it’s in the showroom and lockdown eases. I wouldn’t discard it if you can get a decent discount, but at list price it’s just too much!

Also if buying at list price I would expect your relationship with the AD to strengthen and to get you on the list for the APs (if they’re an authorised AP dealer). Then it might actually be worth it in the long run!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    The Zenith is a very nice piece but resembles too much to a Daytona. Would it bother you if someone spots it on your wrist and asks ‘oh is that a Daytona?’ I can kind of seeing it happening.
    Personally it wouldn't bother me, as I wear watches for me. Depending on my mood I'd either say "no" and jog on or give them a tutorial on the El Primero movement ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Personally it wouldn't bother me, as I wear watches for me. Depending on my mood I'd either say "no" and jog on or give them a tutorial on the El Primero movement ...
    Agreed... if anything it'd be a 'now look closer...' moment, and go on to show them the mesmerising Chrono second hand running :P

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Ignore the Zenith itch, and hold out for the AP..it's the real prize... Start making enquires for the AP now, which will keep you entertained!
    This is bang on for me. Enjoy the hunt and the research. The perfect one is out there somewhere and you won’t drop money on the Zenith in the meantime (which seems inevitable in the medium term).

If you're buying a watch in the interim that you know you intend to sell for the AP at a later date, it would be best to make sure it's a watch you can move quickly without taking a substantial hit when the time comes.

A new Zenith doesn't seem to fit that criteria to me. You'll probably either be stuck selling it for ages or need to flip it at a significant loss.

Buying the latest shiny trinket that catches your eye now, rather than hold fire for something that you have identified as more expensive and desirable?

Well assuming that:
    - I already had enough nice watches to wear and keep my interest in the meantime
    - I had tried on the more expensive and desirable on at least a couple of previous occasions and thought I really, really like that and will buy one someday
    - I was confident that I would wear it at least as much as my current favourite four or five most worn

Then I would wait and buy the AP, if it was the watch that I really wanted.

However when I did that three years ago, I ended up thinking “no thanks”.😀

Blog Entries
    The more I look at the Zenith, the more appealing it is. It’s the right size, unusual complication, super movement - 60h power reserve for a 3600VPH is phenomenal. Most importantly looks a cracker - I have my name down for a black dial one.

I fear the AP I am after could be a long time coming - many many months (if not years). I do realise I’ll lose on the Zenith if (when) I do sell but I’m used to that.

not decided for sure yet - but nearly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The more I look at the Zenith, the more appealing it is. It’s the right size, unusual complication, super movement - 60h power reserve for a 3600VPH is phenomenal. Most importantly looks a cracker - I have my name down for a black dial one.

I fear the AP I am after could be a long time coming - many many months (if not years). I do realise I’ll lose on the Zenith if (when) I do sell but I’m used to that.

not decided for sure yet - but nearly.
    Keep in mind next year is the 50 year anniversary of the Royal Oak, I think it’s going to be a huge year for the model, Peak Oak especially with the steel nautilus gone, be quick with the AP AD if you want it...

Haha
    This is not a serious question.
    The decision was probably made to buy a while back but Martin is not admitting to himself.
    Now buy the damn thing already and post some pics.
    More power to you:-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Haha
    This is not a serious question.
    The decision was probably made to buy a while back but Martin is not admitting to himself.
    Now buy the damn thing already and post some pics.
    More power to you:-)
    It was a serious question (at the beginning) However the Zenith is ordered - but I have a four to six week wait on delivery. But worth the £1K discount off the MRP.

Also, I got an email from my AP AD and it seems they expect wait lists of years against the models I am interested in - especially the "Jumbo" (39mm). I know I have to 'build a relationship' and I guess they are in high demand and low production numbers. Anycase I may have to look around for alternate sources at reasonable prices (whatever that means). The AP is off the table for now.

Of course I will post pics on arrival. All the best.

Martyn

Looks like you made the pragmatic decision. The "Jumbo" is AP's prom queen - as hard to get as a steel Daytona. Unless you've been told you're in with a shot, it won't happen.

The Zenith looks nice but I personally couldn't do it. In one sense you have a 'real' Zenith Daytona but in another sense you don't. 1k does give you some cushion for the inevitable resale however and it's quite a nice looking watch. Enjoy.

I could have bought a new 15202 at many stages over the years, with little or no wait. So for it to be crazily hard to get now doesn’t make too much sense to me. I’d like one, but I don’t want one any more than I ever did before just because it’s harder to get.

It is interesting the way the market is changing and likely due lots of speculators are affecting things.
    It's just a matter of time...