closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HMRC self assessment - my address has been changed. Should I be worried?

HMRC self assessment - my address has been changed. Should I be worried?

OK.. I know.. I've left it to the last minute to file my return. I just logged in and on page 1, my address is down as living in an apartment in Canary Wharf! I can assure you, as I look out over the fields of County Armagh, I do not live there nor have I ever lived there.

I'm assuming that some numpty in HMRC has got the wrong person when updating an address... but given how much fraud is about, should I be worried?

I can update the address to the correct one but don't want to until I get to speak to someone in HMRC which is nigh on impossible right now. I login using the government gateway and 2 factor auth to my phone by text so am very surprised to see this mistake in my data.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Think you'll be fine, haven't they extended the deadline to the end of February?

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Think you'll be fine, haven't they extended the deadline to the end of February?
    Yeah, there's extra time ok. I'm just concerned as to how somebody else's address has been recorded against my tax record.

Master
    I think you are right to be concerned! I would change it back anyway and make sure no one is submitting fraudulent tax reclaims in your name. I would try to call HMRC again and note the time etc. of the (attempted) contact in case something is untoward, which hopefully it isn't.

Re the filing date:

https://taxagents.blog.gov.uk/2021/0...sment-returns/

Not quite - You will not get fined but you'll pay interest (unless it has changed again).

The deadline for filing has been extended to the end of Feb.

But you still have to pay the bill by 31/1. 🤦🏻*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I think you are right to be concerned! I would change it back anyway and make sure no one is submitting fraudulent tax reclaims in your name. I would try to call HMRC again and note the time etc. of the (attempted) contact in case something is untoward, which hopefully it isn't.

Re the filing date:

https://taxagents.blog.gov.uk/2021/0...sment-returns/
    I'm going to call them early tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a better chance of getting through.

The address in question is a very nice looking set of apartments. However, they mostly show up in places like booking.com where you can rent by the day. Aimed at business visitors by the looks of it. They're not permanently lived in as such. I smell a rat.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    OK.. I know.. I've left it to the last minute to file my return. I just logged in and on page 1, my address is down as living in an apartment in Canary Wharf! I can assure you, as I look out over the fields of County Armagh, I do not live there nor have I ever lived there.

I'm assuming that some numpty in HMRC has got the wrong person when updating an address... but given how much fraud is about, should I be worried?

I can update the address to the correct one but don't want to until I get to speak to someone in HMRC which is nigh on impossible right now. I login using the government gateway and 2 factor auth to my phone by text so am very surprised to see this mistake in my data.

Thoughts?
    The date for returns has been extended to end Feb. I did my SA ans for confirmation of my refund within a week so they are working.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    The date for returns has been extended to end Feb. I did my SA ans for confirmation of my refund within a week so they are working.
    Not sure how much - if any - human involvement there is these days in processing tax returns!

If JE does get through to someone, it’ll likely be a call centre bod working from a script.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    The deadline for filing has been extended to the end of Feb.

But you still have to pay the bill by 31/1. 臘*♂️
    Not quite how I read it. The deadline is still 31/1 as always. But they just will not enforce a late filing penalty if you file by 28/2...

Craftsman
    When I logged in for my return last year, my first line street address was the same, but the town and postcode was different, so had me as somewhere else. Lord only knows how they managed that one.

My PAYE coding notices and all that came through fine so it didn't seem to affect anything else.

I simply changed it though and it was no hassle.

Bizzare, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    When I logged in for my return last year, my first line street address was the same, but the town and postcode was different, so had me as somewhere else. Lord only knows how they managed that one.

My PAYE coding notices and all that came through fine so it didn't seem to affect anything else.

I simply changed it though and it was no hassle.

Bizzare, though.
    Strange indeed. My entire address is different, top to bottom. What has me tetchy is the fact that it's an apartment for hire and not a normal residential address..

Master
    Did you (OP) get a resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Did you (OP) get a resolution?
    Not yet. Web chat never comes up with someone free and every time I call, I have to leave the queue after half an hour or more due to work.

I'll try again tomorrow and report back.

I had a good check round the rest of my online services account. There's nothing else changed that would flag a scam. Bank details, contact numbers, statements show no attempted refunds etc. Looks like a data glitch or user error.

The only thing niggles me is that this is a rental property. Nobody would legitimately be using that address for tax reasons.

Thanks for this post... almost forgot about my self-assessment return until I saw this. Also wish you luck OP! Hope it's no issue

Craftsman
    Not yet. Web chat never comes up with someone free and every time I call, I have to leave the queue after half an hour or more due to work.

I had a good check round the rest of my online services account. There's nothing else changed that would flag a scam. Bank details, contact numbers, statements show no attempted refunds etc. Looks like a data glitch or user error.

The only thing niggles me is that this is a rental property. Nobody would legitimately be using that address for tax reasons.
    Lines open at 8.00am try first thing you should get through straight away.

Master

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution. Unfortunately, you can't be too careful these days. If something doesn't look right, I always assume the worst and act accordingly!

Update on this:

I got through eventually to the self assessment online services help desk and spoke to a very helpful chap. He agreed straight away that this was suspicious and his initial thoughts were, attempted refund fraud.

So, we went through a few questions and its being forwarded to their security team to dig into the audit logs of my records. I'll get a call back in due course.

Very well and professionally handled so far... it'll be interesting to see what they say. I sign in using the govt gateway with 2 factor authentication, so I really don't think its an online hack. My phone numbers weren't changed and there's been no attempted refunds etc. Maybe they logged in and realised I'm not worth robbing lol!!

I'll report back in due course...
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 9th February 2021 at 00:55.

Master
    Update on this:

I got through eventually to the self assessment online services help desk and spoke to a very helpful chap. He agreed straight away that this was suspicious and his initial thoughts were, attempted refund fraud.

So, we went through a few questions and its being forwarded to their security team to dig into the audit logs of my records. I'll get a call back in due course.

Very well and professionally handled so far... it'll be interesting to see what they say. I sign in using the govt gateway with 2 factor authentication, so I really don't think its an online hack. My phone numbers weren't changed and there's been on attempted refunds etc. Maybe they logged in and realised I'm not worth robbing lol!!

I'll report back in due course...

Glad it's being properly investigated!