closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moonwatch (hesalite) or FOIS?

Master

Moonwatch (hesalite) or FOIS?

Thinking (tentatively) of adding a speedmaster to the collection next month.

Always been a massive moonwatch fan, having owned a project alaska (why on earth did I sell that). I thought I'd own another at some point but I'm priced out the market on those now.

A lot of the other special editions don't do it for me and I keep getting drawn back to the standard moonwatch, hesalite and solid caseback. Would love a birth year one but again probably too pricey and I dont like the gamble of finding a good one as I don't know enough about them.

Which has led me to looking at new ones (before the new new one comes out).

The problem is this place has got me looking at the fois lately with all the talk about them in sales, being discontinued, the one on sc etc...
    I do love the look, hands look great, slender smaller case is nice but again I'm a massive 'normal' moonwatch fan so this could just be a fad?

Anyone had a fois and been disappointed?

Can any of the knowledgeable point out the finer details/differences between the two that I may not know about?

I would be buying new and price difference is only a hundred quid between the two so negligible.....

Any thoughts/comparisons/pics greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure about the movement but cosmetically it’s all different.

Hands, dial markers, no crown guards.

To me, the FOIS is lovely and in some ways prettier, but has a different vibe to a moonwatch.

I like the white hands on the MW, it feels more NASA if that makes sense.

My two.

Owned the regular hessalite version for many years and loved it, if I was to get another it would be the sapphire sandwich. That movement is too nice to be covered in steel.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Owned the regular hessalite version for many years and loved it, if I was to get another it would be the sapphire sandwich. That movement is too nice to be covered in steel.
    I agree about hiding the movement being a shame. Best of both worlds - hesalite front, sapphire on the back.

The FOIS wears very small, with a look of long lugs on my wrist, whereas the Moonwatch just fits well.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I agree about hiding the movement being a shame. Best of both worlds - hesalite front, sapphire on the back.
    Do Omega do that variant?

I've got an aftermarket display back for my standard Moonwatch, which works well for me.

I only really like the standard model, not being a fan of the never-ending 'special' editions (I could live with the moonphase Moonwatch, though), but that's very much a personal preference.

To my eyes, the FOIS hands look wrong, but that's because I have quite fixed ideas of how the Speedmaster Pro should look (although again, I'm not purist enough to consider a post-moon to be a 'homage' ) - I also like how the markers on my 1997 Speedmaster are yellowing like those in Gavbaz's photo.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 26th January 2021 at 14:45.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Sapphire sandwich for me if I get another. FIOS is nice but a bit small for me and I don't like the handset.

I don’t agree that the FOIS wears very small but it does wear slightly smaller. Wrist 6.8”.

Here are two shots and I don’t feel there is a lot in it, I have both.

I think the more modern speedy Pro (that I have had as well) wears larger on bracelet due to the end links but if I stuck that on leather it would probably be similar lug to lug.

The biggest visual difference is the the lack of crown guards. This definitely makes the watch visually different, as well as the straight lugs. I also think the dial is the same size but could be wrong.

I also prefer the case back of the FOIS.

Both excellent choices either way.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Do Omega do that variant?

I've got an aftermarket display back for my standard Moonwatch, which works well for me.

I only really like the standard model, not being a fan of the never-ending 'special' editions (I could live with the moonphase Moonwatch, though), but that's very much a personal preference.

To my eyes, the FOIS hands look wrong, but that's because I have quite fixed ideas of how the Speedmaster Pro should look (although again, I'm not purist enough to consider a post-moon to be a 'homage' ) - I also like how the markers on my 1997 Speedmaster are yellowing like those in Gavbaz's photo.

M
    They sadly don't, but there's nothing stopping you from getting a display back for one. I meant to for mine, but sold it (a few years back for 2k on here - should've held onto it as I suspected I'd like another some day!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Both excellent choices either way.
    Yours isn't a normal Speedy Pro though, it's a gorgeous older piece with that faded bezel and patinated lume...lush

Master
    FOIS is the pick of the two for me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

I have a FOIS . Here are a couple of pics of the same watch on my 7.5inch wrist. I don’t think it wears small. It actually wears quite nicely in comparison to my other chunkier watches- Monaco, Omega speedmaster MK2 , Tudor bronze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I have a FOIS . Here are a couple of pics of the same watch on my 7.5inch wrist. I don’t think it wears small. It actually wears quite nicely in comparison to my other chunkier watches- Monaco, Omega speedmaster MK2 , Tudor bronze.

Is that the Forstner or Uncle Seiko?

Looks excellent by the way.

They sadly don't, but there's nothing stopping you from getting a display back for one. I meant to for mine, but sold it (a few years back for 2k on here - should've held onto it as I suspected I'd like another some day!)
    They do. 3572.50 or the more expensive 3592.50

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    They do. 3572.50 or the more expensive 3592.50
    I had no idea! Are they very rare?

Master

Is that the Forstner or Uncle Seiko?

Looks excellent by the way.
    Cheers, it’s a Forstner, I only got it last week. Easy to fit, and pretty straight forward to size. Comfortable too. I got it from Darren at vintage omega. I think he’s on here. Came the next day too! I’ve got to say I was never that enamoured with this type of Omega and only purchased it at Christmas as a family present for my brother. He chose a Tudor instead ,leaving me with this. I was going to move it on or send it back but it wears really well and has really grown on me. In fact I’d rather keep it over some of my other so called keeper watches if I had to sell. Plus there are only 15000 in the world which is hardly limited but it certainly feels a bit more unique compared to the Moonwatch and it’s hundreds of versions.

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 26th January 2021 at 15:55.

Master

Oops sorry , double post.

I had no idea! Are they very rare?
    There’s a UK full set on C24 for £3695

I was recently in the same position a couple of months ago and chose the Hesalite Pro. For me that was the right decision and certainly no regrets, even if the FOIS is now discontinued. The FOIS rather seems to be the 996 of the Omega line-up to me.

Like the idea of that “mullet” Pro with the hesalite and display back as it does seem a shame to hide away that movement but as has been pointed out, there are always aftermarket display backs.

Regards

Jon.

I've always preferred speedies with symmetric cases (and smaller sizes), so FOIS will certainly be my pick.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4 View Post
    I was recently in the same position a couple of months ago and chose the Hesalite Pro. For me that was the right decision and certainly no regrets, even if the FOIS is now discontinued. The FOIS rather seems to be the 996 of the Omega line-up to me.

Like the idea of that “mullet” Pro with the hesalite and display back as it does seem a shame to hide away that movement but as has been pointed out, there are always aftermarket display backs.

Regards

Jon.
    996? Interesting comparison....What is that with reference to? Just interested:) Porsche, Ducati?

996? Interesting comparison....What is that with reference to? Just interested:) Porsche, Ducati?

Good question! Shame on me for forgetting about the Ducati - a beautiful bike. I meant the Porsche but it was meant as a compliment - I used to own a Mk1 GT3 years ago and it was a good car. Trouble was, it wasn’t a 993 RS which was what I really wanted. Ended up changing the GT3 for a 993 2S but jeez, that seemed slow in comparison.

Difficult to explain but I’d like a FOIS but only if I could have a Pro too - does that sound odd?!

Regards

Jon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4 View Post
    Good question! Shame on me for forgetting about the Ducati - a beautiful bike. I meant the Porsche but it was meant as a compliment - I used to own a Mk1 GT3 years ago and it was a good car. Trouble was, it wasn’t a 993 RS which was what I really wanted. Ended up changing the GT3 for a 993 2S but jeez, that seemed slow in comparison.

Difficult to explain but I’d like a FOIS but only if I could have a Pro too - does that sound odd?!

Regards

Jon.
    No, doesn’t sound odd:) Compromise is a terrible thing in the luxury item world be it car, bike , watch, house.. do we ever stop wanting what we don’t have? :)

What about the trilogy Speedy just to muddy the waters?

Master
    I have both pro, DSOTM versions and the FOIS. All great watches choose the one that you like.

Master
    Thanks for the opinions and comparison shots, just what I was after.

I'm edging towards the moonwatch, its the one I've wanted to own again for a long time, its only this place that got me looking into the FOIS more seriously.
    Good to learn a little more about the history of Speedmasters in general though, been reading watching/reviews most the day (in between work of course), including the new new one.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    What about the trilogy Speedy just to muddy the waters?

Agreed I always bring this up too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    To answer the original question, you need both !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don’t agree that the FOIS wears very small but it does wear slightly smaller. Wrist 6.8”.
    I agree that they are both excellent choices, but it’s all relative. On a 7.75-8 inch wrist the FOIS looked quite small to me. Enough to stop me buying the full gold version at what was a crazily good deal a few years ago.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I’ve ordered the new version, but the least expensive version with hexalite and closed back plus strap rather than bracelet.This is because I prefer a NATO with a Speedy. And the original had a closed back and hexalite.
    £5100. Expensive but quite a lot of watch and I don’t expect discounts any time soon.
    Due March.
    Btw: the new 321 bears a family resemblance to the fois. Good looking.

I have the Moon watch and also the 60th anniversary. Both are very nice watches in their own right.

Two watches with enough differences to have both and not feel wrong about it.

Last edited by Jon Kenney; 27th January 2021 at 06:50.

Master

Out of modern releases the Alaska project, followed by 60th anniversary, then blue ck2998, FOIS, ST1. Not sure where to put the white snoopy, pricing clouding my thoughts on it. However, I prefer a nice condition vintage 145.022 or earlier, I prefer real moon authenticity

Blog Entries
    IMO best of both worlds. Modded FOIS with standard pro hands. I prefer the case shape of the FOIS and the slightly smaller lug to lug dimensions. Also the straight lugs are more appealing to me than the twisted lugs on the Speedy Pro

I keep meaning to do the same to mine - standard hands on my FOIS, looks the nuts to me.

I don't wear bracelets, so the lack of one on the FOIS wasn't any bother, and liked the slightly dressier look.

Blog Entries

A couple of other pics of the FOIS with standard hands. It did look nice with the telemeter bezel

Last edited by MFB Scotland; 27th January 2021 at 13:12.

Blog Entries
    Just found these pics. Modded FOIS with red second hand on the 38.5 Aqua Terra bracelet

Master
    I saw this picture yesterday and within an hour had ordered a FOIS plus a Forstner brushed/polished bracelet.

I'd been on the fence re the FOIS for a few months, but this picture pushed me over the edge. It looks amazing.

Thanks!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I saw this picture yesterday and within an hour had ordered a FOIS plus a Forstner brushed/polished bracelet.

I'd been on the fence re the FOIS for a few months, but this picture pushed me over the edge. It looks amazing.

Thanks!
    Good on you:) I’m glad that my picture helped you make up your mind. I hope you enjoy your new watch:)

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 27th January 2021 at 22:05.