closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Elise, Exige & Evora

Master

Goodbye Elise, Exige & Evora

Just got an email from Lotus saying the production of the above have all stopped. Probably inevitable given the direction they are moving in but it’s still a brave move.

They were always going to be future classics and this will only strengthen their appeal IMO.

I just hope the new cars are still Lotus - Light, with unassisted steering, not stuffed with driver aids & infotainment.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I just hope the new cars are still Lotus - Light, with unassisted steering, not stuffed with driver aids & infotainment.
    Highly unlikely, unfortunately. If ‘the market’ has told Lotus anything over the past few years/decades, it is that those sorts of cars don’t really sell anymore. They are effectively part of a bygone era.

The new car(s) will be Evija-lites. Which will be great and not so great in equal measures. (As you probably already know, the Evija is not a light car).

Maybe Taxis with lotus badges on

Notice the Press release doesn’t mention Geely who call the shots, the modular content of Volvo/london Taxi company/Lotus is set to increase with significantly higher Chinese content.
    Last edited by adrianw; 25th January 2021 at 20:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    (As you probably already know, the Evija is not a light (or even remotely affordable at $ 2,000,000 car which probably won't even make it past the model stage into real life) car
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    FTFY
    Fixed that, eh? “which probably won't even make it past the model stage into real life”.

You’re obviously not very good at fixing things:

If you haven’t worked it out by now, Geely have got deep pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    ...is set to increase with significantly higher Chinese content.
    Not at the moment. At least, not if Geely still want to sell these as ‘European’ vehicles. If anything, the % Chinese content might have to come down, not up.

Never saw many here in Canada.

Lotus Elan, Europa (outside body shops) and this Esprite

Always liked the squared off design over the rounded later models

DON

Not at the moment. At least, not if Geely still want to sell these as ‘European’ vehicles. If anything, the % Chinese content might have to come down, not up.
    It is already their strategy

Master
    It’s a shame that they are discontinuing the very spirit of what Colin chapman stood for, the life blood of the brand

I sincerely hope that this loss of identity isn’t the beginning of the end for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Will the new car still have a magnetic back-axle to catch the bits that fall off?

Master
    I’ve been following the Seloc thread. I was almost thinking of selling my Elise SC this year, I’ve owned it from new and it’s 10 years old this year with 10k on it. It’s quite an usual one, last of the old SC vvtli 2zz engine in the latest body shape with sports and touring packs
    I’m thinking I may be wise to leave the cover on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    I’ve been following the Seloc thread. I was almost thinking of selling my Elise SC this year, I’ve owned it from new and it’s 10 years old this year with 10k on it. It’s quite an usual one, last of the old SC vvtli 2zz engine in the latest body shape with sports and touring packs
    I’m thinking I may be wise to leave the cover on it.
    Sounds nice that, any pics?

Here’s mine:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Will the new car still have a magnetic back-axle to catch the bits that fall off?
    I’m wondering at this point how that would still catch bits of fibre glass/plastic/rubber and if you’re lucky carbon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Sounds nice that, any pics?

Here’s mine:

Master
    Sold my yellow 135r back in 2008 for just over £14k. Not really paid much attention to prices since.. this thread prompted me to take a look. Quite surprised to see just how much a basic S2 is fetching these days.... can only assume this news is going to push prices even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    ...can we assume this news is going to push prices even higher.
    I suspect so.

We will soon see the last of the lightweight, ICE Lotus, unfortunately. There is a limited supply of them so demand will only ever push prices one way.

- - - Updated - - -

PS It’s about now in any Lotus thread that someone needs to chip in with ‘Lots of...’ etc etc.

Master
    I suspect so.

We will soon see the last of the lightweight, ICE Lotus, unfortunately. There is a limited supply of them so demand will only ever push prices one way.

- - - Updated - - -

PS It’s about now in any Lotus thread that someone needs to chip in with ‘Lots of...’ etc etc.
    I can’t believe we’ve got this far without it !

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can see S3 prices firming up even more now.

Hopefully my old girl keeps heading north in value alongside.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I can see S3 prices firming up even more now.

Hopefully my old girl keeps heading north in value alongside.

Love the vx, great colour too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    Very nice and extremely rare as you say. Definitely a keeper..

Highly unlikely, unfortunately.
    Agreed, sadly.
    Last edited by andy tims; 26th January 2021 at 11:38.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    I have been lucky enough to own all 3 variations - Elise, Exige and Evora - over last 15 years and with these changes, even more pleased I did so. I expect the new range from Lotus to be markedly different.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    I have been lucky enough to own all 3 variations - Elise, Exige and Evora - over last 15 years.
    And in your view the best was?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    And in your view the best was?
    Ooft, that is a tough question. If I had 3 children it would be like asking which is my favourite! Is it a cop-out to say all of them for different reasons and how timing and circumstances suited?

I bought the Elise first, an S2 111s and it was my first toy/weekend car. Possibly by being my first Lotus and also first fun car, I loved it. Had 3 trips with a group of guys in similar cars around the top of Scotland in it, did some driver training down in North Weald and it also got me into track days. After a few track days you start wanting some more power, so sold it and after spending some time in a Boxster S, I bought an Exige S 240 PP.

This was a huge step up in power. 240bhp isn't much but the Exige is so light the acceleration was incredible and I started modifying with uprated suspension, exhaust, filters etc. It was the car that satisfied my track day period. We only have Knockhill up here in Scotland for a track so gets a bit boring after a while although managed down to Croft in it too. My back problems were getting worse during ownership and I am sure the car wasn't helping. So having loved the acceleration, trackdays and thinking I was getting a little old for a burnt orange coloured Exige, I sold it and moved to an Evora.

The Evora was a grower. I wasn't sure what to move to post Exige, but in the end it might just be my overall favourite. By this point I was 10 or 11 years older from when I bought my first Elise, with a dodgy back so it suited me better at that time in my life. I did track it once, but anything after the Exige was always going to feel a little disappointing. But it was still so light, great acceleration, and suited me perfectly for a mix of fun and longer road trips to Wales or up north - this time with the Mrs for an gastro overnighter rather than a bunch of guys. The Evora was the only Lotus she drove and could get in and out of it and we could have a conversation whilst pressing on, unlike in the Exige, and the Elise to some extent. It also had two seats in the back, that the kids could contort themselves into for short trips.

All are gone now and I have gone a bit softer and own a Cayman R. Again, seems to suit me with a few more comforts but still tauight and quick.

So, in summary, each has suited me really well at the right time and if it was in anyway a recommendation, it kind of depends on your needs from the car and your own stage in life. But anyone of them will put a smile on your face :)

Master
    Blog Entries

Goodbye Elise, Exige & Evora

Very sad, I have had a type 111 variant in the garage for over 20 years. It had to move on sometime though.

I did read they the new alpine A110 would in development with lotus.

Thank feck I didn’t flog my S160
    Last edited by Middo; 26th January 2021 at 18:28.

Master
    Ooft, that is a tough question. If I had 3 children it would be like asking which is my favourite! Is it a cop-out to say all of them for different reasons and how timing and circumstances suited?

I bought the Elise first, an S2 111s and it was my first toy/weekend car. Possibly by being my first Lotus and also first fun car, I loved it. Had 3 trips with a group of guys in similar cars around the top of Scotland in it, did some driver training down in North Weald and it also got me into track days. After a few track days you start wanting some more power, so sold it and after spending some time in a Boxster S, I bought an Exige S 240 PP.

This was a huge step up in power. 240bhp isn't much but the Exige is so light the acceleration was incredible and I started modifying with uprated suspension, exhaust, filters etc. It was the car that satisfied my track day period. We only have Knockhill up here in Scotland for a track so gets a bit boring after a while although managed down to Croft in it too. My back problems were getting worse during ownership and I am sure the car wasn't helping. So having loved the acceleration, trackdays and thinking I was getting a little old for a burnt orange coloured Exige, I sold it and moved to an Evora.

The Evora was a grower. I wasn't sure what to move to post Exige, but in the end it might just be my overall favourite. By this point I was 10 or 11 years older from when I bought my first Elise, with a dodgy back so it suited me better at that time in my life. I did track it once, but anything after the Exige was always going to feel a little disappointing. But it was still so light, great acceleration, and suited me perfectly for a mix of fun and longer road trips to Wales or up north - this time with the Mrs for an gastro overnighter rather than a bunch of guys. The Evora was the only Lotus she drove and could get in and out of it and we could have a conversation whilst pressing on, unlike in the Exige, and the Elise to some extent. It also had two seats in the back, that the kids could contort themselves into for short trips.

All are gone now and I have gone a bit softer and own a Cayman R. Again, seems to suit me with a few more comforts but still tauight and quick.

So, in summary, each has suited me really well at the right time and if it was in anyway a recommendation, it kind of depends on your needs from the car and your own stage in life. But anyone of them will put a smile on your face :)
    Very concise mini review there, you’re lucky to have them. Envious of the cayman r, had a big standard pauper spec Cayman and loved it before we had 2 more children and family cars came a knocking

How did you get on with a boxster s, I had a love hate relationship with mine, loved it when it worked! Found it very prone to cooling system faults

Hmmm. So a Lotus thread is about to be turned into a Pork thread. Aren’t there enough of those already? 🥱

It'll be interesting to see what the new range of cars are like.

I've had a vx220, S2 Exige, 2-Eleven and S3 Exige among other cars since about 2005 but after a falling out with Lotus, I doubt I'll buy another

Master

Great post, thankyou.

Craftsman
    Thank you Macca and Paulpsz008 for the kind comments.

@ Macca - My Boxster S was reliable during the time I owned it, other than a broken rear spring which is a common fault for them. I liked it when I was out driving it -the difficulty I had was it somehow didn't have the same appeal to me to actually take it out. If I had a spare hour at a weekend I would find myself going for a blast in the Elise/Exige/Evora, but somehow the Boxster never gave me that urge. Enjoying the Cayman R though. Perhaps it's the less followed route and more unusual car type that appeals to me. EVO reviewed that Cayman R strongly and said the best comparable car was an Evora, so perhaps that's why it suits me now. Partly embarrassed to say after years of stripped out Lotuses and few comforts that I am liking heated seats!

The Evora S is the best car I’ve ever driven, closely followed by the Europa SE (now they are rare!). I’m pretty happy with my M100 now though.

Edit: I’ve not driven an Elise / Exige, nor a Porsche. Yet!

Master
    Thank you Macca and Paulpsz008 for the kind comments.

@ Macca - My Boxster S was reliable during the time I owned it, other than a broken rear spring which is a common fault for them. I liked it when I was out driving it -the difficulty I had was it somehow didn't have the same appeal to me to actually take it out. If I had a spare hour at a weekend I would find myself going for a blast in the Elise/Exige/Evora, but somehow the Boxster never gave me that urge. Enjoying the Cayman R though. Perhaps it's the less followed route and more unusual car type that appeals to me. EVO reviewed that Cayman R strongly and said the best comparable car was an Evora, so perhaps that's why it suits me now. Partly embarrassed to say after years of stripped out Lotuses and few comforts that I am liking heated seats!
    That made me chuckle - I understand your love of heated seats! I don’t want to make you jealous but I also have a heated steering wheel in my company car which is a revolution!

An image of the Elise Cup 250 Final Edition slipped out and is currently on SELOC:

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was a bit underwhelmed with that final edition.

Not sure if there are under the cover goodies but looks like a 250cup with body coloured aero?

I don’t think so. It was always going to be (yet another) ‘sticker special’.

Master
    I prefer my wheels

I ordered an Elise S1 in 1997, eventually got it in Jan 1998, I saved for a couple of years and loved it

Have since had Elise S2, Exige S and a tricked out Elise 111r with 300hp and an exige front end

Also 3 caterhams inc a R500 duratec

Power is not the answer

Overall the elise S1 was the car I loved the most, it was the right car at the right time for me, no kids and just married, multiple trips to europe, cheap to run and fast enough

Still miss mine

I think Lotus should make small light EVs like the original Tesla roadster, but i know they will make an SUV

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    I ordered an Elise S1 in 1997, eventually got it in Jan 1998, I saved for a couple of years and loved it

Have since had Elise S2, Exige S and a tricked out Elise 111r with 300hp and an exige front end

Also 3 caterhams inc a R500 durations

Power is not the answer

Overall the elise S1 was the car I loved the most, it was the right car at the right time for me, no kids and just married, multiple trips to europe, cheap to run and fast enough

Still miss mine

I think Lotus should make small light EVs like the original Tesla roadster, but i know they will make an SUV
    Got to agree with that. They need enough power to move but nothing crazy. I supercharged my vx220 from 145 to about 255bhp and it is significantly more serious to drive, but my mate has a 145 na and I find it much sweeter on circuit and you can enjoy the inputs and chassis more. I’ve had the obligatory Porsche and M cars and they leave me cold these days.

I think Lotus should make small light EVs like the original Tesla roadster
    That is coming next. Lotus recently announced a deal with Alpine to do exactly that.

Nobody (outside of Lotus/Geely) is sure whether or not the SUV is actually coming. It is currently most likely that it is being developed in China and will be built in China, primarily for the Chinese market.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what the new range of cars are like.

I've had a vx220, S2 Exige, 2-Eleven and S3 Exige among other cars since about 2005 but after a falling out with Lotus, I doubt I'll buy another
    the elise s1 was my first car, loved it, i should have been a life long owner and supporter, like you have a falling out with lotus, twice (loved the car so much i forgave them the first time) costing lotus over 60k in the end, i have no interest in spending money with them ever again

have ariel atom now, feels very similar in handling but makes driving the elise feel like you were wearing a padded clothing, boots and thick gloves at the time when i was driving the s1, it's only slightly less waterproof then my lotus and they have genuine customer care

With the atom you've taken a very different direction!

I tried an atom, supercharged honda, it may have be me, or it was cold, but I couldn't get any heat into the front tyres round Bedford, it meant it understeered and then warp drive in a straight line. It was still hugely entertaining though.

The Caterham R500 was not as quite as quick in a straight line, but handled better, and lets face it I probably got only 30% of its ablilty compared to a proper driver

sadly the keep it light, simple, fast may not apply to the modern era of mass produced sports cars due to regs and the expectations of buyers for ICE / cabin noise / cup holders etc

Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    the elise s1 was my first car, loved it, i should have been a life long owner and supporter, like you have a falling out with lotus, twice (loved the car so much i forgave them the first time) costing lotus over 60k in the end, i have no interest in spending money with them ever again

have ariel atom now, feels very similar in handling but makes driving the elise feel like you were wearing a padded clothing, boots and thick gloves at the time when i was driving the s1, it's only slightly less waterproof then my lotus and they have genuine customer care

You beat me by a couple of months - My 1st Elise arrived in March 98.

It was & remains the only brand new car I've had that I bought myself. Great when it worked, but it broke down 5 times in 10 months. Lotus actually gave me a replacement about 6 weeks after the last break down. The 2nd one was almost faultless. Both lovely to drive - perfect steering & just great fun. The Elise kick started my track day career.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I hear my BIL has just become their GM

Master
    Whenever I hear car guys articulating what they like about Lotuses, Atoms, Caterhams etc, I can't help thinking, you guys would love motorbikes ...

Of course I realise many have or have tried both.

Sad reading this, though. I've driven a neighbour's Esprit as well as his Elise and Exige loaners, and thought they were a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I hear my BIL has just become their GM
    Is your BIL called Matt?

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Never saw many here in Canada.
    Oddly, I've seen a few in Newfoundland. Must be the oil money.

Master
    I have thought of selling my Caterham. Thirteen years old and 16,000 miles. But then I think; these cars may not be around for that long. That said the 7 is a bit of an anathema requiring SVA which I guess will prolong its production, for a while anyway. I'm 50 so reakon i will keep it until i can no longer get into and out of it. Nothing compared to a cat without power steering, servo assisted brakes, traction control, ABS ...etc.

Harry Metcalfe did an interesting video several weeks back on electric versus ICE and how much longer ICE'd and classic cars will be around.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app